The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > Buyers/Sellers "Who's Who" ?!?!

Old 26 May 2022, 07:30 AM   #1
Guybrush
"TRF" Member

Watch: 118209
Capetown Diamond - My Experience

Some of this has already been covered here and here, but this new thread will cover all of it and bring the story to its conclusion.

Bottom line up front: Capetown Diamond in Atlanta, Georgia (USA) is, in my singular experience, a fine place to work with BUT you need to be careful with them as they are not completely forthcoming about the watches they sell or list on their site.

I will try to keep this as short as possible, but it's a bit of a saga.

The story in chronological order (adapted from my earlier posts):

1) I inquired via phone and email about a 36mm Day-Date, which was fully (if, per their norm, not very well) photographed and specifically described on CD's website. Was told it was available; no discount, which was fine--price was good. Further communication in the ensuing days about other details (number of bracelet links, e.g.); all of the discussions referenced the specific watch listed on their site.

2) Purchased the watch in question, as identified by its specific stock #.

3) Was informed (via phone) that the dial on the watch had a blemish and would need to be replaced. There was no blemish in the pictures, but I went ahead and authorized the change. Beginning of questionable feelings on my end...

4) The watch was sent to me with the new dial. Only then did I realize that the new replacement dial was lumed but the hands were not. This should not have been my responsibility to notice or sort out. The watch was returned (at CD's expense) to have the hands replaced to match the new dial.

5) Getting suspicious while awaiting the return of the watch, I confirmed (by reviewing their online pictures) that the hands on the original watch I ordered (the one pictured on their site--which remained---and still remains--listed as available!) were in fact lumed. Something was not adding up here. I began to suspect that they sold me a different watch (which would also explain the dial issue) and just never bothered to tell me that.

6) In reviewing the CD paperwork that was physically included with the watch they sent me, I then noticed that the stock # printed there did not match the stock # of the watch I ordered. Presumably because they did indeed sell me a different watch (same Rolex reference, of course). Note that in all our correspondence and on the actual payment form I submitted, the stock # referred to the watch I found on their site. But in the physical paperwork, they kept all of my info (payment, etc), but swapped out the stock #. No one ever mentioned this to me.

7) The watch was returned to me with the new hands, correctly matched to the new dial. But (imagine my dismay) the watch was not functioning---dead on arrival, not winding, nothing. I contacted CD and suggested it was time for them to keep the watch and refund my money. They asked for one more chance to make it right and I granted that, returning the watch (again, as usual, via overnight FedEx at their expense).

8) The watch was again returned to me--without any detailed explanation--functioning properly. If you lost count, that was six FedEx trips between me and CD.

Interlude: no doubt, some of you will think I was unconscionably generous in allowing this go on. Many of you would have bailed at #3, but CD's reputation (as far as I can tell) is superb, and the price was excellent. And it's a watch I really wanted.

It was always my intention to take the watch to RSC for service/authentication---that's just how I roll when I buy from anywhere other than an AD. (It's been the topic of recent discussion here.) I probably wouldn't have done so for several months, ordinarily, but after so much distress, I decided I needed that assurance sooner rather than later, so I took it in about a week ago to an area AD with on-site RSC service.

The estimate/evaluation arrived today, confirming (implicitly) that the watch is all-genuine. That said, the movement is in need of a full service with several parts requiring replacement. Some of it is typical stuff; some of it is surprising and may be RSC being precious (a new crystal and crown); they also want to replace the the dial (scratched, they say) and the hands (damaged). I'm still making up my mind about all of this---definitely doing the service, probably going to opt for the (next!) new dial too, as it'll be the one I really want and even after the $470 RSC expense will still be far below what it would cost to get any other specimen with that dial currently for sale.

Point is: the watch is authentic and isn't adulterated to the point where RSC would refuse service. But CD's claims about condition/refurbishing, etc, may be a little overblown. ...Honestly, I assume that's true of most preowned dealers, not just CD.

They were perfectly pleasant to deal with--very personable, never shady or rude. I think it's fine to do business with them as long as you're flexible or willing to press them to confirm that the specific item you want is the one they're sending. I've read at least one other story of someone who was sent a watch other than the one he ordered (without these subsequent issues, though). I don't know why they pull this sh!t with their customers, but... be advised.
Guybrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2022, 03:15 AM   #2
pk552502
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16570 black
Thanks for the account of what happened. It's nice for a prospective buyer to be able to evaluate events such as this.
pk552502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2022, 03:31 AM   #3
Guybrush
"TRF" Member

Cheers---and sorry to be so longwinded about it, but I wanted to take care not to sensationalize or treat them unfairly. It wasn't a perfect transaction, and I do believe they could do better going forward. But I love supporting family businesses, and the watch checked out by RSC, so I believe people can buy from them without any fear of the 'big worry.'
Old 12 July 2022, 08:03 AM   #4
pk552502
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16570 black
Are you happy with the condition of the case compared to the pictures on the website? Their pictures on the website don't look that great and they have the white out background.
pk552502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2022, 11:33 AM   #5
Guybrush
"TRF" Member

I think the case is pretty good—the service tech said it had seen a polish or two, but I don’t have the keenest eye for such detail. On that front especially, though, I’d insist with CD that they send detailed shots of the the actual watch you’re getting from all angles. Their website pics are unacceptable—even if they’re not swapping the watch out. I’ve heard they may finally be updating their site. They really should.
Old 15 July 2022, 07:43 AM   #6
jinikari01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710LN
I've dealt with CD few years back.
My little story is they "forgot" to ship links their watch tech. removed per my request.
They did eventually ship the links via USPS envelope mail. LOL.
jinikari01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2023, 07:26 AM   #7
Sunstreaker
"TRF" Member

Capetown Diamonds is about as shady as it gets. Avoid at all costs. I had a similar experience as the OP last year. They do sell genuine watches but only god knows where they come from. Everything on the site is not real and they misrepresent everything they sell, post photos of and even ship to you. Also none of their photos are real.

Buyer beware - do not do business with them online. Maybe if you were physically in their store in Atlanta but definitely not site unseen.
Sunstreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2023, 11:09 AM   #8
HAPConst
Banned

My brother had a bracelet adjusted on his used watch purchase. It was a gold bracelet from a 16618. He needed it bigger and they said they had the links. When he got the watch delivered he had it checked out at a local watch shop. The links they put in were not real gold despite paying $330 a piece for them and being told they were gold. The only reason he ended up there was the cheap price of the 16618. The watch itself wasn’t too bad. The crown was polished off the bracelet even though the listing clearly showed a raised crown.
HAPConst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2023, 09:22 AM   #9
rlawall
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

I have purchased a few watches from CD over the years, always found them to be upfront and prices fair to good. If there were any issues, they resolved quickly and with no drama. They are better by a fair amount than most dealers, in my experience.
rlawall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2023, 10:11 AM   #10
Phrank
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ♕
I purchased a beautiful Day-Date from Capetown in 2019, great to deal with, Jonathan is incredibly polite, takes the time to ensure he understands what you're looking for, and has always been patient with the many pictures I always ask for...well, maybe I should thank Errol for that....:-)

As a matter of fact, I just traded 2 watches in to Capetown and hopefully have one arriving from Jonathan tomorrow after some FedEx shenanigans.

I can only speak to my experience, but Jonathan is top notch, Tony(JUSTROLEXES) and Jonathan are my "go-to's".
Phrank is offline   Reply With Quote