The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 29 January 2023, 07:37 PM   #91
l_chissle
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by In-N-Out View Post

They would never do this, but how would you guys react if they release RO-like Tapisserie dials? Perhaps some variation of it, and perhaps different size (not petite mega or grande)
Agreed that they'd probalby never do this. I think it's very gimmicky and AP would then again get accused of being a one trick pony. I think they're doing it right in trying to advance forward, digging a bit in their archives and creating something spectacular.

They've been on the right path. QP aventurine dial, the tuxedo tourb and now the starwheel. I think this will rival the complications line of Patek in the years to come.
l_chissle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2023, 11:31 PM   #92
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
I like this piece. Cool design and a great price. I think this will be a winner for AP.
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2023, 11:54 PM   #93
ts3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AperolSpritz View Post
I wish they would be able to make thinner Codes... I just don't like the proportions of these things. They are way too damn thick and end-up being too dressy for a sports watch and too sporty for a dress watch. I thought the Starwheel would fix it a bit but seen one today at a boutique and the magic didn't work...
For me it's (i) too thick, (ii) the second hand feels weird on this watch, they shouldn't have put one (like on the previous old model or other similar watches using this method telling time - like Urwerk or Moser), (iii) the 3 hour rings are way too big and completely swallow the dial, the aventurine background is therefore just anecdotal.
Shame, could have been great - as always, just my humble opinion...
I like the dial but I agree on (i) and (ii). My main issue with the Code remains the midcase as a reference to the RO. To me it continues to look forced and weird. I would have hoped for AP to find the courage to leave the RO design behind for once when thinking about an entirely new product line.
ts3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2023, 06:06 PM   #94
l_chissle
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ts3 View Post
I like the dial but I agree on (i) and (ii). My main issue with the Code remains the midcase as a reference to the RO. To me it continues to look forced and weird. I would have hoped for AP to find the courage to leave the RO design behind for once when thinking about an entirely new product line.
I quite like that touch (despite my prior comment). It's a nice subtle nod and it's a cool case design. Way better than just round.
l_chissle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2023, 07:13 PM   #95
In-N-Out
"TRF" Member

has anyone been allocated this piece yet?
In-N-Out is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2023, 07:14 PM   #96
In-N-Out
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by l_chissle View Post
Agreed that they'd probalby never do this. I think it's very gimmicky and AP would then again get accused of being a one trick pony. I think they're doing it right in trying to advance forward, digging a bit in their archives and creating something spectacular.

They've been on the right path. QP aventurine dial, the tuxedo tourb and now the starwheel. I think this will rival the complications line of Patek in the years to come.
looks like they did exactly what we were talking about
Old 23 February 2023, 10:28 PM   #97
Bigsoftee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Meteorite DD40
I think its an amazing watch, simply stunning.
Bigsoftee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2023, 10:55 PM   #98
WatchEater666
"TRF" Member

The starwheel is really cool. I hope they do one on an RO :)
WatchEater666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2023, 07:48 AM   #99
dauster
"TRF" Member

I totally understand where OP is coming from and I too would appreciate if AP would focus more on their extremely strong heritage with round PCs etc but I still like the new version as well. The onyx tourbillion code is #1 though. also the mid case ceramic chronos were kinda nice but a bit pricey imo
dauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2023, 11:17 AM   #100
gretch6364
"TRF" Member

I redo of the 26393NR with the new indicies, hands and subdial style of the steel codes would be pretty darn great.
gretch6364 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2023, 10:33 AM   #101
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

I clicked on the "Exceptional timepieces" section of the AP website for the first time (don't recall how long this has been there), and found it interesting that among the Ultra and Grand Complications, QPs, openworked tourbillons and Concepts sat the Code Starwheel. By far the cheapest watch in that section, and cheaper than the next "exceptional" Code by a factor of three.

That also is everything one needs to know about the likelihood of an allocation.
AP 15500ST Grey // 26237ST Beast // 26331ST Panda // 15450ST Blue // 77350CE Bucci // 26240CE 50th // 15407ST || Rolex 116520 White // 116710 BLNR // 126200 Blue || Omega Seamaster NTTD // Speedy Tokyo LE "Rising Sun" // Speedy cal. 321 "Ed White"
A timeless classic - Winding, ticking, faithful time - Golden crown of trust
VogelPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2023, 10:47 AM   #102
russ86
"TRF" Member

I actually love this one!
russ86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2023, 01:47 PM   #103
Reign
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VogelPhoenix View Post
I clicked on the "Exceptional timepieces" section of the AP website for the first time (don't recall how long this has been there), and found it interesting that among the Ultra and Grand Complications, QPs, openworked tourbillons and Concepts sat the Code Starwheel. By far the cheapest watch in that section, and cheaper than the next "exceptional" Code by a factor of three.

That also is everything one needs to know about the likelihood of an allocation.

Still haven’t seen any allocated in the wild yet
Reign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2023, 03:10 PM   #104
NTCP8
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign View Post
Still haven’t seen any allocated in the wild yet
According to my SA, they haven't been allocated yet. Someone mentioned a dude in Singapore has one. Not sure if that's true though...
NTCP8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2023, 12:23 AM   #105
AEV
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP & Rolex
I think the ''Exceptional Timepieces'' showed up at the beginning of this year.
To me these are high complications but criteria is not very clear to be honest - RO QP is in, but Code QP not.
RD3, 15407 & 15416 also not included.
AEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2023, 11:49 PM   #106
In-N-Out
"TRF" Member

Anyone get an allocation yet?
Old 16 March 2023, 12:17 AM   #107
gregouille
"TRF" Member

I don't think so, still waiting for the call and haven't seen one in the wild yet...
gregouille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2023, 01:51 AM   #108
Reign
"TRF" Member

Still waiting... USA based FYI
Reign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2023, 05:52 PM   #109
Bigsoftee
"TRF" Member

The star wheel, and the perpetual calendar in RG Code are probably my 2 favourite AP's.
Old 16 March 2023, 06:46 PM   #110
SRG89
"TRF" Member

I'm waiting for horology ancienne to post his - while he may not be first out of the gate or first in the world to be allocated one - I'm willing to bet he's one of the first. Nothing on his story as yet he did say he's getting his in March/April IIRC
SRG89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2023, 05:34 PM   #111
Soros
"TRF" Member

I just got soft allocation for the new starwheel (in Asia) but debating whether to buy. I love the watch, but I am honestly not sure whether it would hold up the value. What do you think..? Thank you!
Soros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2023, 09:40 PM   #112
Mighty_Kraken
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soros View Post
I just got soft allocation for the new starwheel (in Asia) but debating whether to buy. I love the watch, but I am honestly not sure whether it would hold up the value. What do you think..? Thank you!
If you are concerned about the watch holding value you can’t afford the watch.

Why is the value a concern if you don’t intend to sell it (Assuming you really love the watch)?
Mighty_Kraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2023, 09:56 PM   #113
Soros
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty_Kraken View Post
If you are concerned about the watch holding value you can’t afford the watch.

Why is the value a concern if you don’t intend to sell it (Assuming you really love the watch)?
I think I can afford the watch to be allocated one.

It is just my personal preference that I’d like to buy watches that can hold value even though I don’t plan to ever sell…
Soros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2023, 10:09 PM   #114
RTG
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Sky-Dweller
Quote:
Originally Posted by ase_sbhwatch View Post
I had high hopes on rumors of a new Starwheel. Perhaps it was wishful thinking but I was even envisioning a version of the iconic acrylic wheels within an RO case? But I think this new spin on the old classic tragically misses the mark. How could AP take an elegant, timeless dial and turn it into something that looks like it came out of a video game? AP should not be trying to compete with Urwerk. I understand AP is trying to appeal to a younger audience. I also understand AP’s emphasis in diversifying its collection beyond the RO. But with the these toy-like releases, I worry AP is diluting the heritage of its brand. AP could have easily reissued new youthful variants of the Edward Piguet, for example, maybe on a new bracelet or even rubber straps to compete with the PP Aquanaut. But this newest release continues to move in the wrong direction in my mind. Curious to hear others’ thoughts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
This new star wheel is gorgeous in my opinion. I agree with your overall sentiment however, those Marvel releases are joke like, and don’t speak well of the brand. I’m clearly not AP’s bellwether however, so I expect a new Marvel release every year until they run out of characters.
RTG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2023, 10:26 PM   #115
Armis
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soros View Post
From a value perspective, given the level of interest, expected limited production, and the fact it is a very cool re-introduction of a beloved complication, it will hold value and more. Hopefully you also happen to like the watch for what it is, since you’re the one who’ll be buying and wearing.
Armis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2023, 12:38 AM   #116
Bigsoftee
"TRF" Member

I love this watch, would be my first pick of all the Codes, and most of the RO range too.
Old 12 June 2023, 01:01 AM   #117
dmash
"TRF" Member

I absolutely love this watch as I love all space/star related releases. The sub dials and time reading mechanism are exquisite as well. I think this was a home run for AP.
dmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2023, 01:55 AM   #118
bourgognebob
"TRF" Member

Has anyone been allocated one yet?
bourgognebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2023, 08:01 AM   #119
squall1
"TRF" Member

Absolute top of my list. To see one has been "soft allocated" to someone who's not sure about it and is concerned with value retention it is discouraging, but not unexpected.
squall1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2023, 08:41 AM   #120
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by squall1 View Post
Absolute top of my list. To see one has been "soft allocated" to someone who's not sure about it and is concerned with value retention it is discouraging, but not unexpected.
Yeah I thought that was a bit odd too. I wish more than anything we could get back to people buying with resale completely irrelevant. I don’t know if we EVER return to that though.
dmash is offline   Reply With Quote