The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 17 March 2023, 12:54 AM   #31
train-time
"TRF" Member

Watch: All gone!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ten Ten & 32 View Post
chopping multiple mid tier pieces for 1 top draw high end piece?

As a watch lover , the ultimate Rolex in my eyes is the Platinum Daytona.

Not fussed whether the regular hazel sub dials or the more desirable baguette Diamond dial.

Due to a combination of unobtainium from an AD & crazy grey prices it’s not a watch I thought I’d ever have the opportunity to own.

However, I’ve come to realise that if I were to part chop all or the majority of my current collection I might not be a million miles away from having the funds to get one, even though that would still mean paying the premium from a grey dealer due to the AD situation.

Has anyone else ever considered doing something like this?

The only thing at the back of my mind is if I would be happy with just the one top draw watch compared to the variation afforded by owning multiple low to mid tier pieces?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have, a couple of times and when you are done with moving all the mid-tier pieces and have your grail, eventually you start over. It's part of the obsession and the addiction of being a WIS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
Many have tried, many have failed. It’s a common idea but it depends on what “grail piece” you are looking at to see if it will fit your lifestyle realistically.
Excellent observation! I did this many years ago. Drooled over pictures of a DD for years and finally got it. Wore it out to a business dinner at Ruth Chris once and realized that was the only opportunity that I had to wear it given my lifestyle. I didn't have a DD lifestyle! Ended up selling shortly thereafter.
train-time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2023, 01:04 AM   #32
rmlovett1
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: YTBD
Quote:
Originally Posted by travisb View Post
I would still want a nice SS reference left to pair with it. I like the idea but don't think I could be a one watch guy. Two or three - yes.
⬆️⬆️⬆️ same for me!
I’ve done the consolidation thing a couple times in the past with no regrets, but always had a SS left to pair with _________ (fill in the blank with your goal watch)
rmlovett1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2023, 01:36 AM   #33
tifosi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
Many have tried, many have failed. It’s a common idea but it depends on what “grail piece” you are looking at to see if it will fit your lifestyle realistically.
I agree with this. Something like the Pt Daytona is perfect for an only watch if you're on the casual side. Or even if not. It can do it all.

Which is why I don't own an AP RO Jumbo or a PP 3940 as my only watch. They can't do it all. They are my other "grail" status watches.
Old 17 March 2023, 01:38 AM   #34
jgottsman11
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: President
Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosi View Post
I agree with this. Something like the Pt Daytona is perfect for an only watch if you're on the casual side. Or even if not. It can do it all.

Which is why I don't own an AP RO Jumbo or a PP 3940 as my only watch. They can't do it all. They are my other "grail" status watches.
Have you ever considered the 5146 that looks basically just like the 3940 but a lot cheaper as an annual calendar?
jgottsman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2023, 01:45 AM   #35
tifosi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgottsman11 View Post
Have you ever considered the 5146 that looks basically just like the 3940 but a lot cheaper as an annual calendar?
No, not really. It's not just the look. My grail is the 3940 because its a Perpetual Calendar.
Old 17 March 2023, 04:04 AM   #36
alphadweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
Some people like one watch, end all be all. Others prefer variety. I like watches and I'm happy wearing entry level, mid-tier and high-end.
alphadweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2023, 05:32 AM   #37
MichelleP
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD 40RG Olive dial
I didn't sell all but did consolidate a bit to get my DD RG Olive dial. I've now built back up to about 23 not including the cheaper watches. I have a 1 in, 1 out policy. I did just pick up the Tudor BB Pro and now have to figure out which one to sell
MichelleP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2023, 05:32 AM   #38
Yobber76

Watch: BLNR VTNR PAM 915
Quote:
Originally Posted by JParm View Post
I'm with these gentlemen.

Not as extreme as trading everything for 1 watch, but I've thought about consolidating /slimming down a bit from my current collection of 10 to around 4. Doing so would mean trading a few to get an AP.

I realized that 1.) I really like variety and options and 2.) I would probably get bored with 4. I realize 4 watches is still somewhat of a larger collection to some, but hey - I'm a WIS and need more, more, more!
I've been thinking this way. I have seven watches, 4 of them are Rolex, and 2 of those are subs (date and no date).
Yet here I am , thinking about the next watch. So do I sell off 1,2 or 3 to buy one nicer watch?
Haven't decided yet.
Yobber76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2023, 06:49 AM   #39
Wristivity
Banned

It is not always greener on the other side, I can tell you in one hand that you are going miss those pieces you intend cutting tier with as time goes.
Wristivity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2023, 07:27 AM   #40
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Don't consolidate unless you're done with watches for good. No more thinking about the next one or what else is out there. Just want one watch to wear all the time and think of other things. Otherwise, it can be a disaster, as the need for more variety and fatigue with the one watch set in.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2023, 07:31 AM   #41
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogwldFLTR View Post
Did exactly that to get my Platona. Now reverting a bit as I got tired of it and moving those funds into some alternative pieces and reversing the trend. Went from 22 watches to four at one point. I documented it here about four years ago.
That’s amazing Lee. So you did these things before the market got so crazy? Good for you!!
Old 17 March 2023, 09:14 AM   #42
Ten Ten & 32
"TRF" Member

Hey Guys - some great replies & certainly given me food for thought.

I’m not rushing into anything & am getting round to thinking maybe I would regret selling everything that’s taken me around 10 years to amass for the sake of one watch, regardless of how amazing that one watch may be

Ten Ten & 32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2023, 09:21 AM   #43
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
It’s not my style, but do whatever works for you.

I think 3 is the right number for me so I’m thinking of consolidating down from 6. I can’t imagine one watch would ever hold my interest long enough.

That’s why I don’t believe in the grail concept
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2023, 09:22 AM   #44
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosi View Post
I prefer having one piece I absolutely love over having 10 pieces I like.
Great minds think alike Russ
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2023, 09:56 AM   #45
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

i prefer variety, don't think i could do 1 watch. i also think everyone gets bored eventually and there's no "ultimate" or "grail" piece, so going crazy and consolidating into a grail piece to me isn't worth it, i think i'd regret it eventually when i get bored
huncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2023, 10:00 AM   #46
JJGreen
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 1675 or 1016
I’ve considered it. Six watches and cash for one Patek. I didn’t do it. In a way I’m glad because I prefer variety. I don’t think I’d be willing to trade more than a few for one. But if it’s the absolute grail…
JJGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2023, 04:05 PM   #47
logo
"TRF" Member

In truth, if you want just one watch your best bet is to buy it and then leave TRF forever. Too much temptation here, and none of us are the voice of reason. Of course, that’s also why many of us stay.
logo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2023, 08:12 PM   #48
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Quote:
Originally Posted by garyk View Post
That’s amazing Lee. So you did these things before the market got so crazy? Good for you!!

Thanks. I was just tired of the faults in the collection. Also the market had started to take off. I picked up the Platona at a discount.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2023, 04:55 AM   #49
Ten Ten & 32
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
It’s not my style, but do whatever works for you.

I think 3 is the right number for me so I’m thinking of consolidating down from 6. I can’t imagine one watch would ever hold my interest long enough.

That’s why I don’t believe in the grail concept

Hi

Thanks for your reply - it got me thinking

It would be very Interesting to know from your current 6 what would stay & what would go to leave the preferred 3 & the reasons why?

Thanks in advance

Ten Ten & 32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2023, 05:12 AM   #50
bp1000
"TRF" Member

I don’t think I would.

I have a weird principle that is, if I can’t buy it twice don’t buy it at all.

So trading in multiple pieces for 1, especially if it’s overinflated on the used market wouldn’t be for me. I know the logic isn’t quite true as you purchased all those pieces and are releasing cash but I don’t want to overthink it.

Also, I’m not too keen on having just 1 piece. If you are a real collector you might get bored. Plus Pt is very heavy for a 1 piece collection.
bp1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2023, 05:56 AM   #51
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:

It would be very Interesting to know from your current 6 what would stay & what would go to leave the preferred 3 & the reasons why? …
That’s the million dollar question

With reasonable certainty I can say that the 321 isn’t going nowhere, it just feels special. The history, the movement, the finishing etc.

Next, I know I’d want a diver. Which one I’m not 100% certain.

All the rest are up for debate
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2023, 06:02 AM   #52
illiguy

Quote:
chopping multiple mid tier pieces for 1 top draw high end piece?

As a watch lover , the ultimate Rolex in my eyes is the Platinum Daytona.

Not fussed whether the regular hazel sub dials or the more desirable baguette Diamond dial.

Due to a combination of unobtainium from an AD & crazy grey prices it’s not a watch I thought I’d ever have the opportunity to own.

However, I’ve come to realise that if I were to part chop all or the majority of my current collection I might not be a million miles away from having the funds to get one, even though that would still mean paying the premium from a grey dealer due to the AD situation.

Has anyone else ever considered doing something like this?

The only thing at the back of my mind is if I would be happy with just the one top draw watch compared to the variation afforded by owning multiple low to mid tier pieces?

Yes. Many will disagree, but I think consolidation towards one GREAT watch is a great move. It’s personal, so only you will know.
illiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2023, 06:20 AM   #53
AF_Rob
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub/Polar/OP/BB
In my journey, I realized I have a mental $/£ cap on any one piece. Then again, if my collection was only that piece, I would be more likely to go “all in”.

Currently, there isn’t an all in one watch having all the design elements I like. Between the, Sub, polar ExII, and BB58, they are all there.

AF_Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2023, 06:42 AM   #54
Kenny G
"TRF" Member

Just like all decisions, there are pros and cons to everything…

The biggest benefits in doing for me would be that you’d have a heavier hitter than any watch that came before it and assuming it’s a versatile watch, you’d get more wrist time out of it as opposed to 5-10 watches that sit in a box/safe most of the time.

The biggest cons for me would be that if that if you ever got bored of it, you’d likely miss the variety you had before. Also, if that 1 watch ever fell out of hype status (or if the market took a big downturn), that 1 watch would likely be hit a lot harder than a black sub, Ex1/2, etc…so you’d likely be opening up yourself to greater market risk (if you care about that).
Kenny G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2023, 06:45 AM   #55
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Luckily premiums for platona no longer crazy. Go for it!
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2023, 06:48 AM   #56
rolexperfect
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116506
Hope you don't get bored with just one, but that's what usually happens in the end. I'd do everything I could to keep the ones you truly love — this is coming from somebody who's made many mistakes and lost tons of $$$ with these types of trades.
Old 21 March 2023, 01:41 AM   #57
Stan Cooper

Watch: GMT-Master II
SS Pepsi has done it all for me over several decades. First it was a 1675 and now a 16710. It gets 95% of my wrist time.

♛16710 GMT-Master II, ♛1915 Rolex WW1 Trench Watch, Zelos Thresher 500m GMT Meteorite, Zelos Swordfish 40 200m Ti Blood Moon Meteorite, Hamilton Pilot Chronograph, Ball Roadmaster Pilot GMT COSC Chronometer, Zelos Mako 300M True GMT Meteorite
It's weird being the same age as old people.

- Stan
Stan Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2023, 07:40 AM   #58
JSolution
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD
I consider it all the time but I never do it ha
JSolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2023, 08:24 AM   #59
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
I enjoy having my favorite watch on my wrist every day. I wouldn’t love having a $30k or $50k watch that I (perhaps) pay to insure and have it sit in a box 95% of the time. I don’t find platinum to be a weight “burden” at all. But I guess most of all I’m just not really a watch collector, I’m a watch fan. And as much time as I spend on here, I still don’t really lust over other watches.

So for me, it’s awesome. For most here, the idea of one good watch is a non-starter.

You gotta figure out who you are!
Old 21 March 2023, 11:21 AM   #60
NachoNeal
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the river flow
Theoretically I could easily consolidate and I have contemplated this many times.
But I would always require, at a very minimum, one nice watch (basically as a daily) and one beater watch (for travel etc.)