The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 21 March 2023, 07:54 AM   #1
Mr. Z
"TRF" Member

Hoping you can help

This is my first time posting on here, but i have been a longtime reader. I leave this message because i could really use some advice. I live in North Carolina and over the past 12 months have got into the watch hobby.

I went to the local Rolex AD and was interviewed like everyone else. A few weeks later i received a letter welcoming me to the "Rolex wait list." From then on, I have visited the store and tried to make myself friendly with the staff.
Last July, I purchased a sapphire sandwich Moonwatch from a SA that i have been friendly with. I then purchased a diamond necklace for my wife to commemorate the birth of our twin daughters (just 3 months before).

Fast forward a few months to last December and I met that same SA for coffee and talked about my interest in a GMT batman, or submariner. He informed me that there was no minimum spend, or watch amount to be considered for the watch. After coffee, I went back to the store with him and purchased a Tudor GMT from him along with a ring for my wife.

Because i dove too hard into the pool, i had not been planning to buy another watch from him for 6 months or so, but around February he texted me asking what my preference was between a "GMT or Sub date." I told him I slightly preferred the GMT but would be happy with either. A few days later, i stopped by the store to say hello and he said, " he just wanted to know what i liked." and his assistant (who is very nice) confirmed to him that i had been on the list for both already. I then looked at the tudor Chrono and he said he had one in the back he could sell me but since it was the reverse panda, i was not as interested. I let him know i would be interested in a panda however.

Now, here's where i need the advice. Last night (3/19) he texted me and asked me what day i could stop by the store this week. Following this text messge, he sent me a picture of the gmt batman with price included. He gave me 4 days this week that worked, and I said i could stop by today (3/20) at 11am. I told him the watch looked beautiful and i was excited to come by. This morning, i re-arranged some office meetings, left work, and went into the store believing i was purchasing my first rolex. Once there, he took me to the omega table and was really pushy about the seamasters. He even asked me to take pictures to send to my wife to see what she liked. I obliged thinking someone was getting the GMT together in the back. Then, i said, I am getting the gmt today right? and he said, "No, oh, i'm sorry, i just sent that to you to see if you wanted the GMT batman with the OP bracelet." I bit my lip, and although every nerve in my body wanted to shout at him. I asked, "well, how much longer do you anticipate it might take to get a sub or gmt?" to which he responded, " oh very tough, maybe another 12 months. you should focus on the omega and the tudor."

Ladies and gentlemen. I am not upset or put out that i have waited 12 months and spent money hoping to get a rolex and still do not have one. I am upset that the AD SA would send me a picture knowing full well it would get me to the store under false pretense during a work day to buy a watch i don't want right now. I have never been treated so disrespectfully in a business exchange like i was today after spending money and time nurturing a relationship.

Has anyone else had an experience like this? I have read countless times on here about the text to come down and get it, anyone get a false one like me? is it worth going to the manager about this? i have zero interest in doing business with him or the store at this point and quite frankly... i am kind of sick of the watch racket if this is what it is all about.

Thank you.

Mr. Z
Mr. Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2023, 08:53 AM   #2
Colorado_kid
2024 Pledge Member

Sorry, that does not sound like a "luxury" shopping experience in the slightest.

Also sounds like a lot of missed communication. 12 months seems like a long time to me. And not worth the wait. I've never felt obligated to buy other things to get what I want. I know that may be different than other's experiences. My first watch was a GMT Master ii. Zero purchase history but was also way before the recent hype.
Colorado_kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2023, 09:03 AM   #3
Doood
"TRF" Member

Yeah,what you described seems manipulative for sure. Any other ADs in the area?
Doood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2023, 09:04 AM   #4
rohada
"TRF" Member

Sent you a PM about NC ADs. I may have some suggestions for this market.
Old 21 March 2023, 09:15 AM   #5
rockysw
"TRF" Member

That is really very bad. I think the SA knows that you are after a batman and he can get you to buy other things so want to take as much advantage as he can.
rockysw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2023, 09:27 AM   #6
Wcdhtwn
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD, SD43, GMT2
I wouldn't be happy about that at all either. Granted we get your side of the story, which I'm not doubting, but it certainly sounds like he wanted you to go to the store to buy the GMT. Maybe take some time off from the store so when you return he appreciates you and no longer sees you as the guy who will buy anything thinking it makes a difference in how fast you get the Rolex.
Wcdhtwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2023, 09:29 AM   #7
Oldfellow
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Sorry you have had that bad experience with your AD.
It appears they are taking advantage of you willingly making other purchases.
I have always been treated with respect by my AD and enjoyed the true Rolex experience.
I can’t imagine forgetting your experience and suggest you seek out another AD and start a new relationship.
Hope you get a BLNR soon.
Oldfellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2023, 09:30 AM   #8
train-time
"TRF" Member

Watch: All gone!
Mr. Z, welcome to the Forum and the World of Rolex watches! Your experience is why I am calling it quits after nearly three decades of being addicted to watches.
train-time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2023, 09:36 AM   #9
RustE
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado_kid View Post
Also sounds like a lot of missed communication.
Not disagreeing that a lot of finer details and often sarcasm get lost in text communication. Although I think the original post reads like a classic bait-n-switch tactic. Given the timing, maybe the SA is looking to make certain numbers this month?
RustE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2023, 09:37 AM   #10
MichelleP
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD 40RG Olive dial
Not cool at all. If I received a text with a picture of a watch I wanted, I'd think it was in. I suggest looking at other AD's. Another year seems crazy when you have a purchase history.
MichelleP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2023, 09:44 AM   #11
Xelor5513
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: what I wear
Welcome to the forum, Mr. Z. Under the circumstances you described, at the risk of burning what's left of your relationship with the SA, I would set an appointment with the store manager and share your experience, built-up expectations and disappointment--and let the chips-fall-where-they-may.
Xelor5513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2023, 09:45 AM   #12
whiskyrolex
"TRF" Member

I would talk to the manager and leave them a 1* review on Google/Yelp.
whiskyrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2023, 09:46 AM   #13
JKPA
"TRF" Member

Unless I'm also misunderstanding it, it sure sounds like he was telling you the GMT was available and what day you could come in. And then tried to push some Omegas instead.

Not cool at all.
JKPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2023, 09:59 AM   #14
Mr. Z
"TRF" Member

Thank you everyone for the kind confirmation and an assurance that this is not normal.

I was attempting to upload a screenshot of my messages with the SA to show the picture of the GMT Master ii with price he sent me followed by me saying. "Oh man *****, it is beautiful. So glad you had a great time with your family. I will see you tomorrow!" To which he said, "Great :) Please text me when you are on the way so i can free up myself."

I only wanted to show that to give some sort of idea that maybe I got overly excited and misread the text and allow you to make your own conclusions. I showed my wife this morning and she was really excited for me to get the watch. Just really embarrassing to call my wife and father to say that today wasn't the day for rolex, and... perhaps I will pick up a different hobby.
Mr. Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2023, 10:00 AM   #15
MrGoat
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16613
Hoping you can help

When you’re done playing games find a decent grey seller. You can have your watch tomorrow without the silly premiums of buying stuff you don’t want and still waiting ages to be deemed relevant enough to spend your money there.

Sent from my Apple privacy invasion product
MrGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2023, 10:01 AM   #16
Midlifegoals
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ41 126334 Silver
I agree with the prior recommendation. Try to find the manager on a day your salesperson isn't there and discuss the situation in private and determine next steps. If there's never satisfaction, the behavior is likely encouraged by the manager....in which case, I agree with the other suggestion...1-star review and move on to another AD. Treat the goods purchased as a sunk cost.
Midlifegoals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2023, 10:13 AM   #17
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 79010sg
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGoat View Post
When you’re done playing games find a decent grey seller. You can have your watch tomorrow without the silly premiums of buying stuff you don’t want and waiting ages to be deemed relevant enough to spend your money there.

Sent from my Apple privacy invasion product

This. Plus one. DavidSW

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GGGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2023, 11:08 AM   #18
Tim Plains
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN
Sapphire sandwich, diamond necklace, Tudor GMT is what you have bought so far, right, I don't think I missed anything.

Just my opinion, based on my own spend history, that is not enough for a GMT, without knowing diamond necklace details, but more than enough for a Submariner instantly. Most GMTs go to top clients, and just a guess, you need to drop at least $30,000 to even be considered.

I am not in North Carolina. My wife and I bought a 31mm DateJust (steel, smooth bezel, oyster, which I do not believe helped much given it's a SS Rolex and sells itself), Tudor Royal 38mm, and hesalite 3861 all in September/October 2021.

When I bought the Speedmaster they said they would put a Submariner aside for me and I could pick it up whenever I wanted, so $7,800 + $2,600 + $8,500 (Canadian $) in two months was enough for a Submariner but he flat out said was not enough for a GMT allocation. I also asked about availability and believe he was truthful when he said Submariners come in regularly (me paraphrasing that means not rare whatsoever) but they receive less than 30 GMTs annually, and if I ever was offered a GMT, don't be picky about the bracelet because I likely wouldn't get another.

Hope this helps. You should have had a Submariner given to you by now. I don't see a Tudor panda purchase helping you any because those also sell themselves. Starting over elsewhere is a bitter pill to swallow and may get you nowhere again. If you do start over, just suck it up at this point and buy a grey market Submariner. The premium isn't really all that much nowadays and worth not repeating the aggravation.

I think you should go in to that same AD again with your wife and family if you have any small kids, kids help more than you know lol, speak with the SA about your dissatisfaction, hint that they have watches in the back, that you would like to speak with the manager on how he lead you on with the GMT text, and see how he responds to that. If they have a heart, you will walk out with a Rolex.
Tim Plains is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2023, 11:23 AM   #19
samuel019
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Me go broke!!!!
Sorry to hear about your run arounds.

Does the A D start with an S or an F?
Old 21 March 2023, 11:45 AM   #20
mrlube1151001
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ 41 TT sub
It’s pretty sad the way your S.A handled this.There are good Ads too.I was able to pickup a dj41 fluted green and a sub within two months.I had no prior purchases from them.
mrlube1151001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2023, 12:04 PM   #21
Perku-t
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1665 DRSD MK3 1973
He may have willing to sell you the GMT but in the meanwhile a good friend of the manager entered the shop and wanted that GMT...

Sad blow of hot and cold for sure
Perku-t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2023, 01:03 PM   #22
RustE
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskyrolex View Post
I would talk to the manager and leave them a 1* review on Google/Yelp.

You think like me. Except I’d also call the BBB if the manager was unresponsive. And, yes, I have way too many years around poorly run businesses.
RustE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2023, 02:20 PM   #23
rohada
"TRF" Member

Since I live in NC, I thought I'd reach out to the OP via PM. We did connect. Without going into the weeds, I did confirm that we both are dealing with the same AD, albeit different locations. To contrast his original post with my experience and to level set this thread for those engaged, here is my experience with the same company.

I had several professional watches on my list to include any GMT. After a year or so of developing the relationship with someone I genuinely like, I received a call that a Pepsi was in with my name on it. I had zero spend history with my location, much less spent anywhere near $30,000+ in extraneous purchases to earn the right to be considered for a Rolex. So, there's that for those who believe you must have spend history. What does appear to be true (as has been said many times in many ways) is that it clearly varies from one retailer to the next, and even intra-company for multi-location chains, on how watches are disseminated to customers. That's an equation that will also vary by locale, country, sales strategy, etc.

I hope to catch up with the OP this week to share any further insights I can regarding his location and the chain itself. When I first started a relationship with my location, the manager told me the company's philosophy was to expand their retail base by trying to supply watches to more clients versus a core group, since any core group will eventually die off. Expanding the base is certainly not an uncommon component for a sales strategy. Based on my experience with a different storefront, that appears to be what my location is doing. Another friend of mine got a Sub without any prior spend history at my location. A tale of two cities. I hope I can help.
Old 21 March 2023, 02:56 PM   #24
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Fire that SA immediately. He sees you as a mark or he's a complete flake. Either way it's not working out for you, so get rid of him.

The purchase history is still with the company. Go to the other location and pursue the model there.
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2023, 04:16 PM   #25
hutch300
2024 Pledge Member

What’s sad is the gmt plus his Tudor is basically a gray Batman. I hate the games and this is unprofessional behavior to the op. Makes me happy to have such a great AD.
hutch300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2023, 04:33 PM   #26
rg9390
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona SS
Very unprofessional. I think SA have specific guidelines they need to follow, and generally, they won't be upfront to new client about how much spending required for a GMT / Sub, etc...
rg9390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2023, 04:46 PM   #27
Atmwireless
"TRF" Member

At this point just be nice and wait the 12 months and check in for updates. Let them know you don’t have endless amount of money to spend on random watches. The sales person told you themselves that there isn’t a spend limit to qualify for the watch. Just be firm that the next watch you want to purchase is the gmt or sub
Atmwireless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2023, 04:49 PM   #28
RoRoRo
"TRF" Member

Watch: YM40
Sack off the AD and find another. Life’s too short to be treated in a deceiving manner.
RoRoRo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2023, 04:49 PM   #29
Breizh
"TRF" Member

I only deal with boutiques or greys for that reason.
Breizh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2023, 05:00 PM   #30
diver2012
"TRF" Member

Watch: N/A
What a dick.

I'd be fuming.
diver2012 is offline   Reply With Quote