The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 24 November 2014, 11:13 AM   #1
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
If there were only 1...

Well the title says it all, if you had to have only one, because of economic reasons or other which would it be?

As for me since I am down from 9 to 3, due to reasonning that for me less is better, and as much as I would hate to have to let go 1, 3-4 beeing the limit for me to not go under or over, I probably would let go the Patek, as Patek servicing is around 8 months, so that's a real bummer if you have only 1 watch, so it would be between my Daytona 116515 ivory dial and my Hulk (now I have it since 2 weeks, I like it but can't say I love it but will give it a few months to decide, but am hesitating to flip it for a non date, the 114060 to be exact) Seems that if I had to have only 1 it would be the sub, date or non date. It just seems more practical as a 1 and only.

What do you think and what would be the one for you? Preferably one you already have or that you can afford to stay realistic

lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2014, 11:22 AM   #2
mrlongisland
"TRF" Member

To answer the question, without answering the question, one of the following:
114060 or 116610LN or 116710LN (current timepiece)

I often flirt with the idea of going back to a Sub, which was my first timepiece, though I love my GMT.
mrlongisland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2014, 11:26 AM   #3
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
gotta have a sub in the mix, no question.

really not willing to go along with this 1 thing however, i won't do it:)
subtona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2014, 11:26 AM   #4
sturgeon123456
"TRF" Member

If you are asking about keeping the hulk, or the 116515 I would say keep the 116515.

If you are asking which submariner to keep if only one I would say its the Hulk....

If I were you keep both.
sturgeon123456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2014, 11:28 AM   #5
lapince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlongisland View Post
To answer the question, without answering the question, one of the following:
114060 or 116610LN or 116710LN (current timepiece)

I often flirt with the idea of going back to a Sub, which was my first timepiece, though I love my GMT.
Well I still have at home a BLNR but it's on the go list, and prefer way more subs to the GMT's, first the PCL's are not to my taste, prefer much more brushed links, and the bezel is nicer on a sub, less busy, and last for me the iconic Rolex is a sub or SD but problem with SD is that they wear smaller but are thicker, even though I didn't see the last one in real I think the sub is better balanced
Old 24 November 2014, 11:30 AM   #6
1995akcoop
"TRF" Member

sub
1995akcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2014, 11:33 AM   #7
mrlongisland
"TRF" Member

I hear that. The BLNR is a nice piece. I actually found like I really like PCLs; I just don't love seeing the microscopic scratches start to appear. I know, I know...embrace the wear. :)

I actually prefer the bezel on the modern GMT. The font choice, in my humble opinion, was spot on.

But, all of that said, yes, the iconic Rolex is the Submariner. I'm really falling in love with the 114060. It's simple, classic, and beautiful. I'm on the fence with the cyclops, unlike most who either love it or hate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapince View Post
Well I still have at home a BLNR but it's on the go list, and prefer way more subs to the GMT's, first the PCL's are not to my taste, prefer much more brushed links, and the bezel is nicer on a sub, less busy, and last for me the iconic Rolex is a sub or SD but problem with SD is that they wear smaller but are thicker, even though I didn't see the last one in real I think the sub is better balanced
Old 24 November 2014, 11:34 AM   #8
lapince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subtona View Post
gotta have a sub in the mix, no question.

really not willing to go along with this 1 thing however, i won't do it:)
I get you Gus, it's just an "if ever" thread, which I hope will never happen of course, it wasn't a problem to let go of 6 since they practically never got any wrist time, but my actual 3 get plenty of wrist time, probably 33% each more or less of course

Quote:
Originally Posted by sturgeon123456 View Post
If you are asking about keeping the hulk, or the 116515 I would say keep the 116515.

If you are asking which submariner to keep if only one I would say its the Hulk....

If I were you keep both.
Well I plan on keeping all 3, including the Patek, but since we are in troubled times you never know, I prefer to have a roof over my head and my wife's and son's than having 3 super watches. About the subs I won't have both at the same time, if the Hulk groes on me I'll keep it, if not then I will flip it for the 114060, maybe one day will get a number 4, but not soon...
Old 24 November 2014, 11:36 AM   #9
Rockrolex
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: What do you think?
I would not let any of mine go except in the direst of circumstances, but if I could only have one, without a doubt it would be this one:

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Rockrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2014, 11:40 AM   #10
lapince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlongisland View Post
I hear that. The BLNR is a nice piece. I actually found like I really like PCLs; I just don't love seeing the microscopic scratches start to appear. I know, I know...embrace the wear. :)

I actually prefer the bezel on the modern GMT. The font choice, in my humble opinion, was spot on.

But, all of that said, yes, the iconic Rolex is the Submariner. I'm really falling in love with the 114060. It's simple, classic, and beautiful. I'm on the fence with the cyclops, unlike most who either love it or hate it.
I neither hate nor love the cyclops, it's the Rolex signature for most date models, and yes I prefer modern bezels, bracelets and clasps on modern Rolex pieces, the "tuna can" clasp is what stopped me from buying one before. I agree with you about the 114060, it's really great, in a few months I will see, if I love the Hulk maybe get it as my 4th, knowing that for me 3-4 is the maximum...
Old 24 November 2014, 11:43 AM   #11
mrlongisland
"TRF" Member

I agree completely. The modern bezels, bracelets, and clasps are really perfect.

I can understand why so many love the Hulk, but I tend to stick to more conservative pieces and colors, usually black.

Whatever you decide, my friend, wear it in good health.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapince View Post
I neither hate nor love the cyclops, it's the Rolex signature for most date models, and yes I prefer modern bezels, bracelets and clasps on modern Rolex pieces, the "tuna can" clasp is what stopped me from buying one before. I agree with you about the 114060, it's really great, in a few months I will see, if I love the Hulk maybe get it as my 4th, knowing that for me 3-4 is the maximum...