The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 19 April 2006, 03:11 AM   #1
Subfiend
"TRF" Member

Watch: Isn't it obvious?
How do you sterilize a Rolex?

Yes, I know it's a stupid question, but I have to know. How do you sterilize a watch (or three) that has been subjected to dead rat funk for a week?

I took my kids on vacation last week and, because I procrastinate terribly and I don't have a safe installed in my new house yet, I put a bunch of my watches in the safest place I could think of -- under the substrate in my son's python enclosure. I was in a hurry and it seemed like a good idea at the time.

My wife came out to join me two days later and she fed the python a live rat before she left. Except she did not know the python wasn't hungry. Rather than eat the rat, the snake killed it and left it to decompose, which it did, right on top of my Daytona, Ex II and TT Blue Sub. I found the dead, gooey rat there this morning. I threw it away, and now I have to figure out a way to clean the watches.

Bleach comes to mind, but that could be too harsh. Anti-bacterial soap could be too mild. Any ideas? Thanks.
Old 19 April 2006, 03:14 AM   #2
GerardoG
Banned

Watch: ALL of them
That IS a V E R Y unusual situation (but I have to admit that putting the watches close to a snake makes a safe sound usless!). I would go with the solution that is used to clean surgery material; if you use bleack or harsh chemicals you will affect de 'non SS' parts (ie Sub bezel, EXP and daytona black numbers, etc.). Bleach will 'bleach' them. Guys: any comments??
GerardoG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2006, 03:22 AM   #3
Atomic

I have a solution that I can use, but you'll have to send me your watches as the process is top secret and takes a long time.

But don't worry, you'll get them back...

Eventually
Old 19 April 2006, 03:26 AM   #4
GerardoG
Banned

Watch: ALL of them
HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA....pls remember that you have to send them to me as well for 'tropical testing'
GerardoG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2006, 03:27 AM   #5
C.J.
"TRF" Member

Dave, I've gotten blood and "junkie funk" on my watches at work. I would use Purell anti-bacterial hand sanitizer, it kills absolutely anything. It's in a gel form but after you apply it you can wash it off with warm water. It's always worked great for me, but I've never had the issue with the stench in the past. Although, I can't imagine SS and gold absorbing the stench
Old 19 April 2006, 03:31 AM   #6
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subfiend
Yes, I know it's a stupid question, but I have to know. How do you sterilize a watch (or three) that has been subjected to dead rat funk for a week?

I took my kids on vacation last week and, because I procrastinate terribly and I don't have a safe installed in my new house yet, I put a bunch of my watches in the safest place I could think of -- under the substrate in my son's python enclosure. I was in a hurry and it seemed like a good idea at the time.

My wife came out to join me two days later and she fed the python a live rat before she left. Except she did not know the python wasn't hungry. Rather than eat the rat, the snake killed it and left it to decompose, which it did, right on top of my Daytona, Ex II and TT Blue Sub. I found the dead, gooey rat there this morning. I threw it away, and now I have to figure out a way to clean the watches.

Bleach comes to mind, but that could be too harsh. Anti-bacterial soap could be too mild. Any ideas? Thanks.
Stainless steel things are least likely to harbor any dangerous bacteria.Just a simple wash in a mild soap and water,and a rinse in plain old tap water is all you need. After all Stainless steel surfaces are safest for food preparation.In fact, stainless steel can be sanitized effectively with a mild vinegar and water solution,but not
nessesary on a wrist watch.

You could try one of Jocke cleaners if you are really worried

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2006, 03:37 AM   #7
RogerF
"TRF" Member

Watch: a gonna do?
I say just soak it in water for a feww mins, then clean them with a mild soap and soap brush.

SS is not poreous and the gunk and goo will not get into the metal.
RogerF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2006, 03:38 AM   #8
Atomic

But doesn't the superior SS grade 904L, exclusive to Rolex, fend off any stains, smells or liquids?

If the think smells, I would recommend a mixture of hydrogen peroxide, baking soda and liquid dish soap. I used a mixture of this to de-skunk stink my house with great success. I can't imagine the peroxide damaging a watch, so long as the crowns are locked tight.
Old 19 April 2006, 03:40 AM   #9
Subfiend
"TRF" Member

Thanks guys. The watches did not absorb the smell, unlike the rest of the stuff nearby. Yuck!!!
Old 19 April 2006, 05:08 AM   #10
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Come on, guys....just a simple diluted solution of Dettol in a small bowl and an overnight soak will do the trick.

JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2006, 05:09 AM   #11
Atomic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani
Come on, guys....just a simple diluted solution of Dettol in a small bowl and an overnight soak will do the trick.

JJ

JJ's right.... and he would know best. That's how he gets the sheep smell off him before he goes home.
Old 19 April 2006, 09:20 AM   #12
mailman
TRF Moderator & DATE-JUST41 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic
JJ's right.... and he would know best. That's how he gets the sheep smell off him before he goes home.
Some guys have to get stripper smell off them before they go home, JJ has to get sheep smell off of him
mailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2006, 09:25 AM   #13
Launch Mini
"TRF" Member

Watch: can I?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman
Some guys have to get stripper smell off them before they go home, JJ has to get sheep smell off of him

I was going to say "Remove two of the Jewels", that's how we sterilized them on the farm.

Member # 293
Launch Mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2006, 09:32 AM   #14
mailman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Launch Mini

I was going to say "Remove two of the Jewels", that's how we sterilized them on the farm.
Old 19 April 2006, 10:51 AM   #15
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
Old 19 April 2006, 10:54 AM   #16
Atomic

Quote:

Oh gawd... if you did that to JJ, then all he'd think about is Rolex.... I say he's more balanced with his jewels in tact. At least then he can talk about cleavage.

If he didn't have cleavage to talk about, he'd have 100,000 posts here on Rolex alone. ROTFLMFAO!
Old 19 April 2006, 10:56 AM   #17
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

If he didn't have cleavage to talk about, he'd have 100,000 posts here on Rolex alone. ROTFLMFAO!

Old 19 April 2006, 10:59 AM   #18
Lol-x
Facilitator

One more thing....

I don't know what cleaning agents are in your neck of the woods but I would use something along the lines suggested such as a mild dishwashing liquid or hand gel cleanser.
However, I have one further suggestion that you get a 1-2 inch black hair paintbrush from the hardware store, and use that in conjunction with water and the cleaning agent, the soft bristles of the paint brush will not scratch your watch but will get into all the nooks and crannies around the case and bracelet. The soft bristles of the paint brush also promote the liquid cleanser to foam up and in my experience your watch should come out spanking clean.
Cheers
Lol-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2006, 11:27 AM   #19
Mrdi
Banned

Quart of warm water, dish soap to good viscosity, two tablespoons bleach and a nice soft brush scrub.
Rinse thoroughly,
Wash again for peace of mind;
towel dry.
Mrdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2006, 01:58 PM   #20
Rto
"TRF" Member

Watch: FPJ-AP-PP-Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman
Rto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2006, 02:06 PM   #21
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Watch: the road
Dave, that is a great way to protect your watches though pal.

I really hope that midget cop doesn't find me in Kokomo.
dman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2006, 04:31 PM   #22
TARDIS
"TRF" Member

Like c l e a n again!

Quote:

Here's the answer to your problem...

TARDIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2006, 04:52 PM   #23
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

OH MY GOD....now I've seen it all.....a Rolex in a dishwasher!!!

Old 19 April 2006, 07:15 PM   #24
mailman

Quote:
Originally Posted by TARDIS
Here's the answer to your problem...

Old 19 April 2006, 09:20 PM   #25
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Vinegar is one of cheapest and most versatile things you have in you home check out this link. http://www.versatilevinegar.org/usesandtips.html

http://www.angelfire.com/cantina/hom...ar.html#Health

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2006, 10:53 PM   #26
RobDad

Just use some anti-bacterial soap (doesn't have to be fancy, my kids have a tube of the stuff that looks like a frog in every bathroom), then use a soft toothbrush, rinse and that's it. I really wouldn't let any solvent/vinegar/whatever near the watch - especially when the solution is pretty simple. Thank god the snake didn't swallow your rollies!!!
RobDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2006, 11:05 PM   #27
Rockrolex
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: What do you think?
I shouldn't say this, Dave, but anyone who keeps a snake deserves what happens.

(I hate snakes. )

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Rockrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2006, 11:33 PM   #28
Gedanken
"TRF" Member

Watch: F-series SD
Dave, rest assured that I do hold the deepest sympathies for your plight, but this thread's just too funny!
Old 20 April 2006, 08:18 AM   #29
Subfiend
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockrolex
I shouldn't say this, Dave, but anyone who keeps a snake deserves what happens.

(I hate snakes. )
Rock,

I'm not fond of them either, but when my ex-wife told me three times not to get my then six year old son a snake, I told him to pick one out. I hate it when she gives me orders.
Old 20 April 2006, 08:21 AM   #30
Launch Mini
"TRF" Member

Watch: can I?
Quote:
Rock,

I'm not fond of them either, but when my ex-wife told me three times not to get my then six year old son a snake, I told him to pick one out. I hate it when she gives me orders.
Your probably picked the biggest ugliest one they had too

Member # 293
Launch Mini is offline   Reply With Quote