The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 26 December 2023, 03:22 AM   #1
SWC Tim
2024 Pledge Member

Icon5 PreDaytona bracelets

What bracelets were the 6034 and 6234 PreDaytona watches delivered with 1950 through 1963? TIA
SWC Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2023, 12:55 PM   #2
mullen1040
"TRF" Member

Watch: Vintage Cronograph
6238 Predaytona

I would also like to know. I have a 1965 PREdaytona 6238 it has a lizard strap with rolex stamped inside it and has a rolex buckle. I want to know if they sold them new like this or did they have a stainless steel bracelet. Sorry for tagging onto your thread but hope we can discover something here about predaytonas. My grandfather bought this watch new from Tiffanys in NYC.
mullen1040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2023, 11:29 PM   #3
TuRo
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the detectives
General answer to both of you.

Would have been a 19mm rivet eg like a European 6205 with 57 end links if later watch ... Or a 'stretch-link' rivet 19mm EU or a C and I - USA/north America made rivet.

Rolex rivet 7204/5/6 came in around early 1950s and might have been a Gay Frere or another indie like Birmingham Watch Company if 1949,50,51.....
Well, give me all you got but not love"
DIFFERENT FOR GIRLS - Joe Jackson
TuRo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2023, 04:16 AM   #4
mullen1040
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuRo View Post

Would have been a 19mm rivet eg like a European 6205 with 57 end links if later watch ... Or a 'stretch-link' rivet 19mm EU or a C and I - USA/north America made rivet.

Rolex rivet 7204/5/6 came in around early 1950s and might have been a Gay Frere or another indie like Birmingham Watch Company if 1949,50,51.....
Turo, Thanks for your reply. I tried to pm you but said your inbox is full.

Did my grandfathers watch come new with a SS band? Or did some come with the rolex lizard band or did he add the lizard band? I want to find a perfect date correct band to the watch so a 6205 with 57 end links ? its a 1965 serial number.

Thanks in advance!
Old 27 December 2023, 09:55 AM   #5
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuRo View Post

And, to add to this post, you can look for the USA version of the Swiss rivet referred to as the C&I Oyster.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2023, 11:42 PM   #6
TuRo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullen1040 View Post
Turo, Thanks for your reply. I tried to pm you but said your inbox is full.

Did my grandfathers watch come new with a SS band? Or did some come with the rolex lizard band or did he add the lizard band? I want to find a perfect date correct band to the watch so a 6205 with 57 end links ? its a 1965 serial number.

Thanks in advance!
Your watch wouldn't have had the lizard.

Sorry typo it's a EU 7205 not 6205 I'd recommend you get and 71 end links are the most common original fit, but I think cheaper 57s will work as well .

Luckily the 19mm rivet bracelet is about a 1/4 of the cost of a 20mm one so I'd pay circa £350-400 bracelet and circa £100 for more common 57 endlinks...the 71 endlinks are very rare and could be £500 plus just to warn you.

You could buy a C and I USA, but they are more flimsy imho, and the stretch version bracelets I'm personally not of fan of and they go wrong occasionally!

Here's the raised crown 7205 you need. This is way overpriced but gives you an idea. Make sure you buy one with a significant no of links still in place l, as faff to add any.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/204032983...mis&media=COPY

Rgds P
Old 28 December 2023, 12:13 AM   #7
greekbum
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT 16750
Quote:
I would also like to know. I have a 1965 PREdaytona 6238 it has a lizard strap with rolex stamped inside it and has a rolex buckle. I want to know if they sold them new like this or did they have a stainless steel bracelet. Sorry for tagging onto your thread but hope we can discover something here about predaytonas. My grandfather bought this watch new from Tiffanys in NYC.
It could have came on a strap or a USA made Rolex C&I bracelet (since you say sold in New York).

Original Owner ROLEX 16750 GMT Daily Wearer For Over 13,000 Days And Counting
greekbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2024, 04:16 AM   #8
mullen1040
"TRF" Member

100% was bought new at Tiffanys in NYC by my grandfather new. I just don't know if this is the strap that was on it when he bought it new or if he added it later. I would think he would have saved the ss bracelet. I want to get a ss bracelet either way I like the look of it better and Ill be able to wear the watch then. The lizard strap is fragile I feel like. Thanks for the information Ill start the search for a good bracelet.
Old 1 January 2024, 04:46 AM   #9
TuRo
"TRF" Member

Thanks for update - it'll look great on a bracelet. I concluded it wouldn't have been on a Lizard, as my notes suggest that Rolex didn't use lizard until the 70's btw - they are not foolproof though ;-) Moreover, h.n.y. to you and Nicos, John and Tim.
Old 2 January 2024, 01:29 AM   #10
greekbum
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT 16750
Quote:
100% was bought new at Tiffanys in NYC by my grandfather new. I just don't know if this is the strap that was on it when he bought it new or if he added it later. I would think he would have saved the ss bracelet. I want to get a ss bracelet either way I like the look of it better and Ill be able to wear the watch then. The lizard strap is fragile I feel like. Thanks for the information Ill start the search for a good bracelet.
I have a mint one available if interested PM me

Original Owner ROLEX 16750 GMT Daily Wearer For Over 13,000 Days And Counting
greekbum is offline   Reply With Quote