The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 22 April 2020, 07:23 AM   #1
pedrocaguirre
"TRF" Member

Watch: Grandpa's Seiko
Planning my graduation...5-7 years ahead!

Hi folks,

My university graduation is less than a month away and I thought I'd contact a few shops to check on Explorer 1s and Submariners. I have been thinking about getting a piece to mark my achievement and my parents mentioned considering helping me out!

So in my bold naivety (not really, I know by now how the drill goes) I venture to send an email to a very well known shop in Madrid, Spain, called Wempe.

My email:

Buenas tardes,

En unos meses me graduaré y estoy interesado en el Rolex Explorer 1 o el Rolex Submariner (sin fecha). Tengo entendido que todo apunta a una actualización de ambos modelos y que por tanto, encontrar estas piezas es complicado hoy en día. Querría preguntar cuánto tiempo hay que esperar para estos modelos.

Un cordial saludo y gracias,

Which basically says I'm graduating and want to check those two models. I mention that both models might be subject to changes in the next model showcase and therefore finding them is quite hard nowadays. I end by asking about how much time I'm looking at on "waitlists" (yeah, they are non-existent).

I will not quote their response, but they very politely let me know the waitlist is 5 to 7 years long. A BU SIVE!

Is this just Madrid, or are there any other cities where shops and ADs suggest turning around for 5-7 years?

Anyway, I know a million threads about this have already been started but wanted to throw my (not) experience. This is no recently-graduated world! Oh, btw, I'll keep trying!

P.
pedrocaguirre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2020, 07:45 AM   #2
georgekart
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrocaguirre View Post
Hi folks,

My university graduation is less than a month away and I thought I'd contact a few shops to check on Explorer 1s and Submariners. I have been thinking about getting a piece to mark my achievement and my parents mentioned considering helping me out!

So in my bold naivety (not really, I know by now how the drill goes) I venture to send an email to a very well known shop in Madrid, Spain, called Wempe.

My email:

Buenas tardes,

En unos meses me graduaré y estoy interesado en el Rolex Explorer 1 o el Rolex Submariner (sin fecha). Tengo entendido que todo apunta a una actualización de ambos modelos y que por tanto, encontrar estas piezas es complicado hoy en día. Querría preguntar cuánto tiempo hay que esperar para estos modelos.

Un cordial saludo y gracias,

Which basically says I'm graduating and want to check those two models. I mention that both models might be subject to changes in the next model showcase and therefore finding them is quite hard nowadays. I end by asking about how much time I'm looking at on "waitlists" (yeah, they are non-existent).

I will not quote their response, but they very politely let me know the waitlist is 5 to 7 years long. A BU SIVE!

Is this just Madrid, or are there any other cities where shops and ADs suggest turning around for 5-7 years?

Anyway, I know a million threads about this have already been started but wanted to throw my (not) experience. This is no recently-graduated world! Oh, btw, I'll keep trying!

P.
I think 5-7 years is a bit much for Exp I or a Sub. Although I heard Madrid is really bad. I think in most places WL for Exp I or a Sub is 1-2 years. But the chances you'll find an AD that has them in stock right now and is willing to sell them are low. Especially with Rolex being closed now. After the Rolex opens and sends watches to ADs with the lowered demand you might find
a smaller AD that will be willing to sell.

Additionally, if you have no prior business with them they assume you're a flipper.
georgekart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2020, 08:03 AM   #3
pedrocaguirre
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgekart View Post
I think 5-7 years is a bit much for Exp I or a Sub. Although I heard Madrid is really bad. I think in most places WL for Exp I or a Sub is 1-2 years. But the chances you'll find an AD that has them in stock right now and is willing to sell them are low. Especially with Rolex being closed now. After the Rolex opens and sends watches to ADs with the lowered demand you might find
a smaller AD that will be willing to sell.

Additionally, if you have no prior business with them they assume you're a flipper.
Thanks! I get that they assume so, but it's a pain in the neck...
Old 22 April 2020, 08:42 AM   #4
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Congrats on your milestone.

If they are small AD, they may have been optimistic. It is their way (perhaps) of saying any models like that are not going to a passer-by.

I see you’re on the road soon to a MSEE? So 2 years of looking will turn something up methinks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2020, 08:45 AM   #5
campfire
"TRF" Member

Congratulations on your future graduation. I have a feeling you'll get it sooner than that. I certainly hope so. All the best.
campfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2020, 09:11 AM   #6
BMonforte
"TRF" Member

Hola Pedro,

Try either Perodri or Grassy. Both AD's are pretty nice and I'm positive they will do their best to help you out. Once they open up, try swinging by to get some face-to-face and tell them your story.

If that doesn't work I would suggest contacting all Rolex AD's in smaller cities (Segovia, Guadalajara, etc) and I'm sure you'll end up getting the model you want. 5-7 year waitlist is just ridiculous, don't fall into that.

Good luck!
BMonforte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2020, 10:20 AM   #7
johnorpheus
"TRF" Member

Watch: all of them
Can't imagine those type of wait times on an Explorer or Sub, but I'm not too familiar with the area.
johnorpheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2020, 08:36 PM   #8
pedrocaguirre
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
Congrats on your milestone.

If they are small AD, they may have been optimistic. It is their way (perhaps) of saying any models like that are not going to a passer-by.

I see you’re on the road soon to a MSEE? So 2 years of looking will turn something up methinks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Yes, at least I have 2 years for planning the important stuff hahahaha
Old 22 April 2020, 08:36 PM   #9
pedrocaguirre
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by campfire View Post
Congratulations on your future graduation. I have a feeling you'll get it sooner than that. I certainly hope so. All the best.
Thanks campfire!
Old 22 April 2020, 08:37 PM   #10
pedrocaguirre
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMonforte View Post
Hola Pedro,

Try either Perodri or Grassy. Both AD's are pretty nice and I'm positive they will do their best to help you out. Once they open up, try swinging by to get some face-to-face and tell them your story.

If that doesn't work I would suggest contacting all Rolex AD's in smaller cities (Segovia, Guadalajara, etc) and I'm sure you'll end up getting the model you want. 5-7 year waitlist is just ridiculous, don't fall into that.

Good luck!
Thanks for the useful tips! I finished reading their email in tears !
Old 22 April 2020, 08:40 PM   #11
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Welcome to the forum and congrats on your future graduation
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote