The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 31 March 2024, 04:57 AM   #1
bmwsubmariner
"TRF" Member

16520 - Any regrets?

Hi Everyone,
Have been looking at a Daytona for a while now. I think I've narrowed it down to the 116500 or the 16520. Having only had 6 digit Rolex's, I have some concern with the 5 digit bracelet. However, I really like the sub dials on the 16520 and the brushed lugs. Obviously 116500 is going to feel more solid. I'd go with an SEL bracelet most likely to get a slightly more solid feeling. Watch will be worn a couple of times per month.

A fullest of either is going to be around the same price.

For you 16520 owners, do you have any regrets? Have you moved onto something else?

Part of my thinking is finding a clean 16520 is only going to get harder over time. A 116500 or 126500 I could likely get in the future, easier. I also like that you see less 16520's and there's less hype around them. However, at the same time the 116500 was the time that I really started liking Daytona's. The clean look of the ceramic bezel I really appreciate.

Thanks!
bmwsubmariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2024, 05:11 AM   #2
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
I have a Daytona 16520 set with the white dial. It's a great watch indeed.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2024, 05:44 AM   #3
dpap
"TRF" Member

If you can live with scratches on the bezel, the 16520 is perhaps my favorite daytona

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
dpap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2024, 06:06 AM   #4
0nly5iv3Digits
"TRF" Member

Watch: Got a Few :)
As a professional "time-telling instrument", I feel the 4 and 5 digit era (5 digit specifically) are more "honest" watches with their hollow center-link bracelets.

Modern Rolex watches never let you forget that you have a hunk of metal on your wrist, seemingly carved out of Thor's meaty forearm...

I wouldn't be put off by the bracelet at all, just find one in good condition with little stretch - something that can be remedied by the right practitioner anyways.. the 5 digit oysters are supremely comfortable.

Zenith Daytona's are the way to go in my mind - 6 digits are too "try-hard"... not really the enthusiasts choice... more of a "look, I've got a hype Rolex"... and that's not to say that enthusiasts don't like them or they're any lesser a watch, but rather the fact they've become associated with "non-watch" people that try for the big "flex". But hey, if you like them, who cares. Something to consider, however.

16520's are pure class! Would give my 116520 away for FREE for a shot at purchasing a NOS 16520...

UNpolished or I’m not interested” 😎
2FA Enabled
0nly5iv3Digits is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2024, 08:26 AM   #5
av1atic
"TRF" Member

I opted for a 16520 white dial complete set rather than a 116500 for a similar price point and would make that decision 1000 times over. The Zenith Daytonas are very special watches and fantastic values in today’s market IMO. It also wears beautifully as a daily.
av1atic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2024, 01:38 PM   #6
hutch300
2024 Pledge Member

Have you considered a 16528?

If you go between the two you suggested and don't plan to wear it hard (bezel) then go 16520.
hutch300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2024, 06:07 PM   #7
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

If I was in the market I would hunt a white dial 16520 over any modern variety.
Old 31 March 2024, 06:48 PM   #8
TuRo
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the detectives
Had one but never gelled with it... I find the dial a bit busy and missing contrast.
Oyster cased 4 digit 37.5mm 6263/65 only for me since.
TuRo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2024, 11:02 PM   #9
Erpin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex DRSD
16520 - Any regrets?

I have both and love them equally. You can never go wrong with either one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Erpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2024, 01:52 AM   #10
bmwsubmariner
"TRF" Member

Thanks everyone. Keep the comments coming. I'm super appreciative of all of your input. I'm very analytical with these purchases and tend to overthink them. I know eventually I need to just pick one and go with it. If I pick one, it would probably be the 16520 knowing I can get into a 116500 or 126500 later. I'd even consider selling both the 16520 and my SD4K at some point for the 116500 since that would scratch my Daytona and durable ceramic bezel watch itch.

Also good to hear about the bracelet. I've heard some people say it's harder to get the 5 digit to fit right, but have also heard others say it's more comfortable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hutch300 View Post
Have you considered a 16528?

If you go between the two you suggested and don't plan to wear it hard (bezel) then go 16520.
I'm not a huge fan of yellow gold on myself. I think the 16528 is a great watch and is stunning to look at, specifically am a fan of the white dial. But not sure how much I'd wear it and if I'd feel self conscious wearing it. I tend to like watches that fly somewhat under the radar, even though I know Rolex is recognizable.

This is also the most expensive watch I'll have ever purchased. I bought my 116600 SD4K (still have) and IWC 5009 (since sold) 8 years ago, so this is a huge jump. $25k is a big number so I'd like to stay around there.

I'm pretty insistent on a papers examples and follow TropicalWatch, Menta, WindVintage and a few others daily just to enjoy looking at watches.
bmwsubmariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2024, 02:13 AM   #11
designer_wrench
"TRF" Member

following as I'm considering something similar!
designer_wrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2024, 05:57 AM   #12
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
As a current/past owner of multiple vintage/modern Daytonas ......

My 16520 black dial is my favorite, after my 6263. It's solid enough to feel modern, including the bracelet, but visually it has much more vintage/classic appeal than 116500s and 126500s. And that's the point, of course.

The mere fact that the 16520 sub-dials are symmetrical, unlike modern Daytonas, makes them more appealing, IMHO. And if you're careful, you CAN keep the steel bezel virtually scratch-free. Just take care of it.

The good news for those in the market for a 16520 is that the prices have come down quite a lot over the last year. So, the time is now to buy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg Daytona 16520 TRF Nov. 2021.jpeg (173.2 KB, 433 views)
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2024, 08:09 AM   #13
0nly5iv3Digits
"TRF" Member

Watch: Got a Few :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by swish77 View Post

My 16520 black dial is my favorite, after my 6263. It's solid enough to feel modern, including the bracelet, but visually it has much more vintage/classic appeal than 116500s and 126500s. And that's the point, of course.

The mere fact that the 16520 sub-dials are symmetrical, unlike modern Daytonas, makes them more appealing, IMHO. And if you're careful, you CAN keep the steel bezel virtually scratch-free. Just take care of it.

The good news for those in the market for a 16520 is that the prices have come down quite a lot over the last year. So, the time is now to buy.
Beauty! Updated AR crystal?

UNpolished or I’m not interested” 😎
2FA Enabled
0nly5iv3Digits is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2024, 07:31 PM   #14
Deppe
"TRF" Member

The good thing about the 116500 is that while it is a 6 digit Daytona, the case is still a 5-digit case (at least according to this https://www.rolexforums.com/showpost...1&postcount=18 - I know that this is comparing the 16520 and the 116520, but as the case of the 116520 and 116500 is the same then this should apply for the 116500 as well).

That is what makes the 116500 compelling to me - modern updates but in a old school package. That being said, I have myself considered moving to an 16520, however, I really like the black/white scheme that the bezel provides on the 116500.
Deppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2024, 08:26 PM   #15
Tzachi
2024 Pledge Member

some inputs from 5 and 6 digits owner

Visually, the 165xx looks fantastic, love everything about it, from the dial layout to the brushed finish.

If you go with later SEL models, the feel is solid.

Lots of the 165xx is in its originality, and the main potential risk is water damage. Therefore, the main point you want to consider is your lifestyle, are you an ocean/pool frequent visitor? .

Otherwise, the 165xx is a great and reliable daily watch and age beautifully.

One additional point to consider, for years to come is the service. within 6 years these will be 30+ years and you may have difficulty in service them, the plus side is that its a zenith-based movement and easier to find parts,
Good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwsubmariner View Post
Hi Everyone,
Have been looking at a Daytona for a while now. I think I've narrowed it down to the 116500 or the 16520. Having only had 6 digit Rolex's, I have some concern with the 5 digit bracelet. However, I really like the sub dials on the 16520 and the brushed lugs. Obviously 116500 is going to feel more solid. I'd go with an SEL bracelet most likely to get a slightly more solid feeling. Watch will be worn a couple of times per month.

A fullest of either is going to be around the same price.

For you 16520 owners, do you have any regrets? Have you moved onto something else?

Part of my thinking is finding a clean 16520 is only going to get harder over time. A 116500 or 126500 I could likely get in the future, easier. I also like that you see less 16520's and there's less hype around them. However, at the same time the 116500 was the time that I really started liking Daytona's. The clean look of the ceramic bezel I really appreciate.

Thanks!
Tzachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2024, 12:50 AM   #16
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0nly5iv3Digits View Post
Beauty! Updated AR crystal?
Nope. Original crystal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deppe View Post
The good thing about the 116500 is that while it is a 6 digit Daytona, the case is still a 5-digit case
Similar cases, but not the same, starting with the brushed lugs on 16520s. Makes a big difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzachi View Post
Lots of the 165xx is in its originality, and the main potential risk is water damage. Therefore, the main point you want to consider is your lifestyle, are you an ocean/pool frequent visitor? .
No more of a risk than more modern Rolexes, as long as it's serviced properly. I often swim/shower with my 16520.
Old 3 April 2024, 04:44 PM   #17
Deppe
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Similar cases, but not the same, starting with the brushed lugs on 16520s. Makes a big difference.
I have actually never seen a 16520 in the flesh, but even then I can agree that I would love for the 116500 to be all brushed, including the bracelet. But at least they kept the classic dimensions of the case.
Deppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2024, 04:14 PM   #18
karleone
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Looks gorgeous!
karleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2024, 02:28 AM   #19
wb16
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16520 Daytona
After multiple years of careful consideration and (too many) hours of research, last month I finally acquired a '93 16520 with inverted-6 white dial, all brushed bracelet.

If helpful to share, I was hugely drawn to the uniqueness of the inverted-6 subdial and it's distinct font that is special to the early few series of 16520. Similarly, the fully-brushed bracelet matches the lugs so well, and I felt it was a good homage to the earlier series 4-digit Daytonas, and another unique distinction that the early 16520s have versus the PCL on current models. However, you really can't go wrong with any series 16520 as they are all phenomenal across years. As others have mentioned also, the 16520 subdial color contrast/size, positioning on the face, and the slimmer hour markers, are all a home-run on design in my opinion, that aesthetically make it a truly beautiful piece.

From monitoring prices the last couple of years, I would agree that now is a fairly good time to buy. There might be some wiggle room to drop further from today, but over time a well-conditioned 16520 will continue to appreciate over time. If you aren't looking to flip it, and rather are looking to acquire one at a good value when the perfect piece comes along from a reputable source, I think it will all be just a marginal delta at the end of the day.

Shout out to the great community here for such helpful insights and fun reading I enjoyed leading up to my purchase. This thing is going to be with me for the rest of my life.
wb16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2024, 11:30 PM   #20
GTS Dean
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3570.50
I've owned my black dial Zenith since '98. It's a great timekeeper, I use the chrono regularly and it has been serviced twice. My only complaint is that the polished hands are extremely difficult to read in low light and the lume is poor. I replaced the tritium hour/minute hands with Luminova and it helped quite a bit. I wish the bezel was brushed like the EX-II. I have no issues with the hollow center link bracelet except for scratches.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg U-Patrizzi.jpg (210.4 KB, 140 views)
Old 18 April 2024, 10:53 AM   #21
hutch300
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTS Dean View Post
I've owned my black dial Zenith since '98. It's a great timekeeper, I use the chrono regularly and it has been serviced twice. My only complaint is that the polished hands are extremely difficult to read in low light and the lume is poor. I replaced the tritium hour/minute hands with Luminova and it helped quite a bit. I wish the bezel was brushed like the EX-II. I have no issues with the hollow center link bracelet except for scratches.
Nice looking dial!
hutch300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2024, 01:58 PM   #22
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wb16 View Post
After multiple years of careful consideration and (too many) hours of research, last month I finally acquired a '93 16520 with inverted-6 white dial, all brushed bracelet.

If helpful to share, I was hugely drawn to the uniqueness of the inverted-6 subdial and it's distinct font that is special to the early few series of 16520. Similarly, the fully-brushed bracelet matches the lugs so well, and I felt it was a good homage to the earlier series 4-digit Daytonas, and another unique distinction that the early 16520s have versus the PCL on current models. However, you really can't go wrong with any series 16520 as they are all phenomenal across years. As others have mentioned also, the 16520 subdial color contrast/size, positioning on the face, and the slimmer hour markers, are all a home-run on design in my opinion, that aesthetically make it a truly beautiful piece.

From monitoring prices the last couple of years, I would agree that now is a fairly good time to buy. There might be some wiggle room to drop further from today, but over time a well-conditioned 16520 will continue to appreciate over time. If you aren't looking to flip it, and rather are looking to acquire one at a good value when the perfect piece comes along from a reputable source, I think it will all be just a marginal delta at the end of the day.

Shout out to the great community here for such helpful insights and fun reading I enjoyed leading up to my purchase. This thing is going to be with me for the rest of my life.
Nice breakdown. Let's see some photos!