The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 6 September 2019, 11:31 AM   #1
Fedpete
"TRF" Member

Icon2 Anybody own a Code 1159 or Handled one in the Metal?

Just wondering if anybody may have one or has handled one in the metal. Wondering what your thoughts are or if handling it person has made you dislike it more or less(or maybe you love it even more!).

Thanks guys!
Fedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2019, 11:35 AM   #2
othertbone
Banned

Watch: Rolex/AP/Vin Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedpete View Post
Just wondering if anybody may have one or has handled one in the metal. Wondering what your thoughts are or if handling it person has made you dislike it more or less(or maybe you love it even more!).

Thanks guys!

I tried several on before I picked up my 15500st. I think they are very nice. Beautiful watches. I don't know what all the hate is. A couple things though. They are thicker than I would have imagined, especially the chrono's. And they are very expensive, as I believe they only come in PM.
othertbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2019, 12:28 PM   #3
Fedpete
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by othertbone View Post
I tried several on before I picked up my 15500st. I think they are very nice. Beautiful watches. I don't know what all the hate is. A couple things though. They are thicker than I would have imagined, especially the chrono's. And they are very expensive, as I believe they only come in PM.
So they're undeserving of all the grief they have received? I was hater number one, but the black dial white gold is growing on me.

Did you handle the simple date only complications? Do you know the retail on that?

Thank you!!
Fedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2019, 12:54 PM   #4
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Maybe Jin will chime in he bought one. I do not know of anyone else with one except horoloupe but that guy has EVERYTHING!
Old 6 September 2019, 06:33 PM   #5
Ar_Mi
"TRF" Member

Watch: a few
I’ve tried on the Chrono and simple time&date versions. Tbh i was quite underwhelmed when I first saw the pics upon release.. however in person I was a bit more impressed. It’s very well finished. I agree that the chrono was a bit on the thicker side due to the new in-house movement. I preferred the time&date.
Would I buy one? No, at that price point there is just too many good options to pass on. IMG_2150.JPGIMG_2151.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ar_Mi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2019, 08:28 PM   #6
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Royal Oak
I went to the AP 11.59 launch party/dinner/piss up at Tate Modern in London. The whole range was there. I found that the watches look amazing in person and sit well on the wrist and look quite sporty whilst still looking good with a suit. I really don’t know what all the hate was about, no watch is going to be loved by everyone but the level of hate directed at this watch (mostly by people who haven’t seen it in person) was totally unjustified.

AshAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2019, 08:46 PM   #7
PJ S
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedpete View Post
So they're undeserving of all the grief they have received? I was hater number one, but the black dial white gold is growing on me.
Luxury goods live purely on their quality and design appeal.
If potential buyers find the aesthetics wholly unappealing, then of course they’re going to get slatted for failing to meet expectations.
Will the Codes find buyers? Yes, for a variety of reasons, and for some, like yourself, the design will be a slow burn but, for others, it’ll not be of any interest whatsoever.
No-one’s right, no-one’s wrong, it’s simply a difference of aesthetic preferences.

The fact there’s been a huge outcry, with almost universal condemnation of the Code 11:59 (both naming convention and design features), is a clear indication that Audemars has produced something which has failed to hit the mark and gel with the larger market.
PJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2019, 09:02 PM   #8
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
It feels like a nice piece of work as you'd expect of AP, the gold finishings reminded me of my RG 44, but the aesthetic design didn't work for me in pics or in the flesh.

Don't forget this range was keenly awaited and was a passion project for Benihanna so there was quite a bit of expectation thrust upon it so that further enhanced the deflated and disappointed reaction, which was probably overdone, but then at Basel reactions are often initially very severe and mocking, I remember the Platona or Pootona getting a lot of criticism for the brown parts, but now that is widely held in high regard.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2019, 10:04 PM   #9
P2725TMB
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: AP, Rolex, Omega
As it happens I glanced briefly at the Code range again yesterday in Harrods, but I'm afraid they still haven't grown on me. Irrespective of anything else, I can't get past the (as I see) it pointless and annoying dial distortion due the scalloped crystal if the watch is viewed at an angle. I can understand why some people might like and buy them, but none are for me, regardless of price.
P2725TMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2019, 11:37 PM   #10
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

As I've stated in other posts, the finishing and quality is top notch. The case is beautiful, unique for sure. The dial is underwhelming and reminds many people of lesser brands, but it's growing on me. Now I say this without handling one in person so this can change but for that money there are better options. If they introduce it in steel it will likely fly. I like the time only dial as the Chrono looks like another brand designed it.
GoingPlaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2019, 11:37 PM   #11
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3970
It’s much better in person and even better on the wrist - ergonomics and wrist profile are great. Would say it’s more sporty than a Chronometre Bleu or Patek and the crystal and case really makes this something special. I have a Patek 5170p in the collection and it doesn’t feel as duplicative as say a CB.

Dial average especially in bright light and sunlight. Good in low light.

Blue looks black in low light so I would take that over the white gold black dial.

Bearxj86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2019, 12:39 AM   #12
Reign
"TRF" Member

Anybody own a Code 1159 or Handled one in the Metal?

I feel very fortunate to be allocated this one but I bought one nearly a month ago and love it. The finishing and quality is classic AP. I have my own opinions about how the release was done but regardless I really enjoy most of the range.

There are clearly a ton of details that can only be appreciated in person and not by an Instagram still photo.

I have a 6.6” wrist (wear it to the last hole) and size and proportions are perfect imo.

Feel free to ask me any questions.

Reign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2019, 01:06 AM   #13
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign View Post
I feel very fortunate to be allocated this one but I bought one nearly a month ago and love it. The finishing and quality is classic AP. I have my own opinions about how the release was done but regardless I really enjoy most of the range.

There are clearly a ton of details that can only be appreciated in person and not by an Instagram still photo.

I have a 6.6” wrist (wear it to the last hole) and size and proportions are perfect imo.

That looks amazing

Old 7 September 2019, 01:35 AM   #14
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Now that the dust has settled I take more issue with the marketing plan and awful name than the watch itself.
Old 7 September 2019, 02:03 AM   #15
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Now that the dust has settled I take more issue with the marketing plan and awful name than the watch itself.
Not only the marketing plan but the way it was handled after the feedback from the masses was provided. I am sorry but the argument of, "you need to see it in person to appreciate it" is BS. You see photos of the RO's, ROO's etc, sure you want to see them in person and they always look better in the flesh. But you do not look at the photos and go, "eww". 95% of the people out there who follow AP said this about the Code. I have absolutely no desire to see one in person.
V25V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2019, 02:11 AM   #16
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshAP View Post
That looks amazing

This one was sold out immediately- absolutely gorgeous
Old 7 September 2019, 03:35 AM   #17
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post

That recent advert with the semi famous couples and their 11.59 moments was beyond dreadful.

Old 7 September 2019, 03:54 AM   #18
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by V25V View Post
Not only the marketing plan but the way it was handled after the feedback from the masses was provided. I am sorry but the argument of, "you need to see it in person to appreciate it" is BS. You see photos of the RO's, ROO's etc, sure you want to see them in person and they always look better in the flesh. But you do not look at the photos and go, "eww". 95% of the people out there who follow AP said this about the Code. I have absolutely no desire to see one in person.
Exactly! Some of us chanced on the pieces at the AP boutique which is why we ended up buying them. However the abysmal marketing around them and the significant lack of photogenic qualities makes this ultimately a flawed watch -many of us buy watches that are beautiful but ultimately on how they make us feel. Kind sucks that I can't really photograph my watch properly because the crystal makes it impossible. I think once they change the dials it will be much more desirable.
Old 7 September 2019, 05:41 PM   #19
P2725TMB
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: AP, Rolex, Omega
Quote:

Your second pic shows the weird effect due to the crystal shaping, which I think is very odd. In fact in real life it looks even worse, giving the illusion that the entire watch 'head' is bent. Its beyond my comprehension as to why AP did that, as I can't see any benefit at all.
P2725TMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2019, 02:58 AM   #20
mongrelnomoad
"TRF" Member

I can't hate on this watch - indeed, I think there are some really great ideas in it - but the hands and the size make it a no-go for me. That said, the perpetual is absolutely stunning...

Enjoy it in good health Reign...
mongrelnomoad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2019, 07:44 PM   #21
DGB
"TRF" Member

I went to the AD to see in the metal, of course as everyone I read all the bashing on internet.
I saw the simple time date in black, in fact it is blueish black, and ... I honestly didn’t like it. It is not catastrophically bad , it’s an AP after all, I saw it too think for a low complication watch, the buckle is thick also. Not what I expected from a dressy watch. But when I gave my impression to the sales guy there, he was so defensive, comparing the watch to the launch of the Royal Oak, as if he learned a text and say it back automatically.
I felt like I wasn’t the first to criticise the watch and he was irritated about that.
The watch was immediately available, a sign of not so much demand for this watch.
The watch glass being double domed it was pretty hard taking a picture avoiding the spot light.
Conclusion: not for me thanks.

DGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2019, 07:47 PM   #22
blacke90
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP||Panerai||Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGB View Post
I went to the AD to see in the metal, of course as everyone I read all the bashing on internet.
I saw the simple time date in black, in fact it is blueish black, and ... I honestly didn’t like it. It is not catastrophically bad , it’s an AP after all, I saw it too think for a low complication watch, the buckle is thick also. Not what I expected from a dressy watch. But when I gave my impression to the sales guy there, he was so defensive, comparing the watch to the launch of the Royal Oak, as if he learned a text and say it back automatically.
I felt like I wasn’t the first to criticise the watch and he was irritated about that.
The watch was immediately available, a sign of not so much demand for this watch.
The watch glass being double domed it was pretty hard taking a picture avoiding the spot light.
Conclusion: not for me thanks.

This looks like a blue one correct?
blacke90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2019, 07:53 PM   #23
DGB
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacke90 View Post
This looks like a blue one correct?

It is the blue in deed, but it is so dark blue I would say it is closer to black with blue reflection.

DGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2019, 07:58 PM   #24
blacke90
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP||Panerai||Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGB View Post
It is the blue in deed, but it is so dark blue I would say it is closer to black with blue reflection.

Got it. You mentioned black above, so want to double check. Thanks for sharing the pic.
blacke90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2019, 11:30 PM   #25
Fat_ninja
Banned

Watch: P-01
Quote:

This one is actually kind of cool with the little stars all over
Fat_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2019, 12:43 AM   #26
masterserg
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat_ninja View Post
This one is actually kind of cool with the little stars all over
That’s called “aventurine”.
Old 16 September 2019, 01:16 AM   #27
jumpmandk
"TRF" Member

I tried the blue ombré (?) tourbillon and i liked it but possibly what is supposed to be the main draws of the Code line, the glass, is what deterred me from the piece.

I like the casing as a whole but didn’t prefer the multi layered convex glass
jumpmandk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2019, 01:42 AM   #28
kareemthedream33
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
I ordered a black chrono without seeing it in the metal. Got a decent discount off retail and really like how it's dressy but also a bit larger and sportier.

I think AP fumbled the marketing of this line, but I really like all the little details of it and am very excited to have it.

Will post pics here when I get it next week.

Sent from my BBB100-1 using Tapatalk
kareemthedream33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2019, 02:11 AM   #29
golfski
"TRF" Member

Watch: me whip & nay nay
I’ve tried on the simple date black one as well. I actually like the size of it, looks similar on wrist as my Heuer 01 but I was really underwhelmed at the price point. I think the Chrono looks better but didn’t get a chance to handle it in person. I was really bothered by the open lugs, made the watch feel cheap in my opinion.
golfski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2019, 03:27 AM   #30
Burlington
"TRF" Member

Quote:

This is the pick of the range ! Congratulations.

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote