The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 30 December 2017, 04:11 AM   #1
slw
"TRF" Member

genuine rolex replacement pins

Hi
I'm new here, so please redirect my question if this isn't the right place.

By intorduction, I'm a retired Forester and wildland fire fighter with 33 years of work in the field behind me. By dilligently saving some of my overtime pay for several years, I managed to buy an Exlporer II in 1990. My watch has been used for it's intended purpose, including service across all time zones in North America, exposure to smoke, dust, dirt, shock, water, and banging against all manner of equipment. The case, bezel, and bracelet show the scars. The watch has been serviced once and has never failed, but the pins holding the bracelet to the case show some wear.

My short question is: Is it possible for me to buy genuine Rolex pins to replace the originals, or must I send the watch to a certified Rolex service source to have them replaced? If it's possible for me to buy the genuine Rolex pins, please direct me to a link. Thanks.
slw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2017, 04:13 AM   #2
MonBK
Banned

Just walk in to any Rolex AD and they will help you.
MonBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2017, 04:40 AM   #3
slw
"TRF" Member

I appreciate your response. The Rolex dealers here want to send my watch off for service for up to several months. I'm unwilling to do that.
I want to buy new genuine pins that I can replace myself, or take the watch to a near by Rolex service place and wait while new pins are installed. Price isn't an issue, nor is travel within 100 miles of Winston-Salem, NC.
Old 30 December 2017, 04:51 AM   #4
Kingface66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1966 Rolex 5513
Replacing those pins is incredibly easy, and can be done by you...I promise. They're also one of the most consumable parts of a watch, and getting good replacement pins is done all the time by members here from places like this:
http://www.ofrei.com/page475.html
Kingface66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2017, 04:52 AM   #5
lee fowler
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT
I have pins, which watch is it for?

Lee

Instagram: @lee1563
lee fowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2017, 04:56 AM   #6
junamuan
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by slw View Post
Hi
I'm new here, so please redirect my question if this isn't the right place.

By intorduction, I'm a retired Forester and wildland fire fighter with 33 years of work in the field behind me. By dilligently saving some of my overtime pay for several years, I managed to buy an Exlporer II in 1990. My watch has been used for it's intended purpose, including service across all time zones in North America, exposure to smoke, dust, dirt, shock, water, and banging against all manner of equipment. The case, bezel, and bracelet show the scars. The watch has been serviced once and has never failed, but the pins holding the bracelet to the case show some wear.

My short question is: Is it possible for me to buy genuine Rolex pins to replace the originals, or must I send the watch to a certified Rolex service source to have them replaced? If it's possible for me to buy the genuine Rolex pins, please direct me to a link. Thanks.
Awesome story. Please share photos of your Explorer II.
junamuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2017, 05:03 AM   #7
slw
"TRF" Member

Lee
It's an Explorer II, 40mm, ref 16570, bought in 1990. If Visa card is acceptble to you, please let me know how we can communicate off forum. Thanks.
Old 30 December 2017, 05:23 AM   #8
lee fowler
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT
Drop me a PM.

Instagram: @lee1563
lee fowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2017, 05:35 AM   #9
slw
"TRF" Member

Junamuan
I'm not very good at internet stuff, so no photos. I can tell you that prior to buying my Explorer II, I beat up 3 other watches and decided to for broke ( literally, it's not like firefighters make bunches of money) by getting a Rolex. Because of the nature of my work across time zones and under pretty terrible conditions, my choice came down to either a GMT II or an Explorer II. I liked the look of the GMT bezel (who wouldn't?), but knowing what my watch would be subjected to, I chose the Explorer. I don't regret that decision, because the enameled GMT bezel would've been trashed wereas the steel Explorer bezel is just scared and scratched.
Old 30 December 2017, 05:48 AM   #10
slw
"TRF" Member

Lee
Please contact me by email at trout4851 (at) yahoo dot com
Old 30 December 2017, 06:30 AM   #11
MonBK
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by slw View Post
I appreciate your response. The Rolex dealers here want to send my watch off for service for up to several months. I'm unwilling to do that.
I want to buy new genuine pins that I can replace myself, or take the watch to a near by Rolex service place and wait while new pins are installed. Price isn't an issue, nor is travel within 100 miles of Winston-Salem, NC.
Dumbest thing I've heard, go see another AD.

Most AD's will sell you the pins and even install them for free.
MonBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2021, 10:38 PM   #12
Nordon
"TRF" Member

Spring bars and “pins” 2 different things, if you have bracelet stretch, either send off to Michael Young, in Hong Kong, or buy a kit, in link, to remove bracelet sections and replace the pins, but a very time consuming job. When I went to Rolex years back to have a simple spring bar replaced, told me I had to buy a new stainless oyster bracelet, $1300 10 years ago, but I ended up fixing it in 10 minutes myself.

They sell the kits, the link remover and link fitter tools, fairly expensive though, to have for Jubilee and Oyster.
Nordon is offline   Reply With Quote