The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 7 August 2013, 06:26 PM   #1
The Waddler

Watch: GMT IIc
First Vintage Post - The 5513 Birth Year Quest Begins!

So, I generally post in the other part of the site and after my thread on the main Rolex General Discussion board titled "I Had To Walk Away" (https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=308174) I have decided to start my quest for a 1976 5513 in earnest. 1976 being the year of my birth. The 5513 because I fell in love with it as a small boy in Live and Let Die.

The first thing I did, rather than trawl the internet, was to send a message to David SW and ask if he sourced them or if he knew anyone that did. It seemed a solid place to start seeing as he has such a good reputation. He recommended Jacek Kozubec who I'm currently at the beginning stages of an email dialogue with. Btw, have any of you more experienced vintage guys dealt with him? Am I in safe hands?

Anyway, I don't know if anyone on here read my other thread but I thought I'd start my own little "Quest Thread" and I thought this would be the place to post it, rather on the main board. I'll also be frequenting the vintage boards much more regularly now to learn as much as I possibly can.

I've also decided that after the 5513 I really want to get a Moon Watch and a vintage baby Plo Prof, and that will be my little collection - alongside my GMT.

Anyway, thanks for reading, here's to my dangerous new vintage obsession
The Waddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2013, 07:55 PM   #2
Vincent65
"TRF" Member

Good luck - no worries with Jacek. Also have a look at the vintage dealers thread - all good stuff in there.
Vincent65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2013, 11:28 PM   #3
Cc1966
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the Sea...
Good luck...perhaps a post in the wanted section of the forum.
Cc1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2013, 11:33 PM   #4
pdoukas
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing Duke bball
Jacek is top notch. I have purchased a 1675, two 1680's (one is a red) and a 5513 from him. All were precisely as described and his communication and customer service is something that 99% of most businesses could learn from. I would not hesitate buying from him again.
pdoukas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2013, 11:48 PM   #5
Shade
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of 'em..
Omg Jacek!!! Im worried!!!!

Because he will offer you so many options and you'll have a hard time choosing! Lol!

Jacek is a great guy - no worries. His shop is HQ Milton down somewhere in the states..

http://rolexforums.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=33241&dateline=128831  6747

Plus PAM 233, 232, 249 & PAM 417.
Shade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2013, 12:22 AM   #6
The Waddler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade View Post
Omg Jacek!!! Im worried!!!!

Because he will offer you so many options and you'll have a hard time choosing! Lol!

Jacek is a great guy - no worries. His shop is HQ Milton down somewhere in the states..

OMG, I've had it haven't I?!

I also sent an email to Andrew Shear after reading good reviews about him. I'm sure if I'm going to get what I'm after one of these two guys will be able to help out.

I'm also under the impression that they are slightly cheaper in the States compared to the shops in London, plus the lack of 20% VAT is very attractive...

Well, let's see what I'm presented with. But I guess I'll manage my expectations and wait a while as good examples of 5513's from a specific year aren't growing on trees
Old 8 August 2013, 12:33 AM   #7
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Waddler View Post

OMG, I've had it haven't I?!

I also sent an email to Andrew Shear after reading good reviews about him. I'm sure if I'm going to get what I'm after one of these two guys will be able to help out.

I'm also under the impression that they are slightly cheaper in the States compared to the shops in London, plus the lack of 20% VAT is very attractive...

Well, let's see what I'm presented with. But I guess I'll manage my expectations and wait a while as good examples of 5513's from a specific year aren't growing on trees
You cannot go wrong with Andrew or Jacek. Both are top-notch and get stunning pieces. (There are other great vintage sellers listed on this forum too.) If you only want a '76, you'll need to be patient, and keep in mind that our understanding of exact years based on serial numbers sometimes isn't so exact. And I believe Rolex might have stopped stamping the year on the inside of the casebacks around that time, so knowing an exact year of production can be tough. Even paperwork that accompanies watches can be misleading, because a Sub from '76 could be sold in, say, '78. Good luck with your search!
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2013, 12:43 AM   #8
DrLindaPhD
"TRF" Member

Watch: Boys Tudor Sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Waddler View Post
So, I generally post in the other part of the site and after my thread on the main Rolex General Discussion board titled "I Had To Walk Away" (https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=308174) I have decided to start my quest for a 1976 5513 in earnest. 1976 being the year of my birth. The 5513 because I fell in love with it as a small boy in Live and Let Die.

The first thing I did, rather than trawl the internet, was to send a message to David SW and ask if he sourced them or if he knew anyone that did. It seemed a solid place to start seeing as he has such a good reputation. He recommended Jacek Kozubec who I'm currently at the beginning stages of an email dialogue with. Btw, have any of you more experienced vintage guys dealt with him? Am I in safe hands?

Anyway, I don't know if anyone on here read my other thread but I thought I'd start my own little "Quest Thread" and I thought this would be the place to post it, rather on the main board. I'll also be frequenting the vintage boards much more regularly now to learn as much as I possibly can.

I've also decided that after the 5513 I really want to get a Moon Watch and a vintage baby Plo Prof, and that will be my little collection - alongside my GMT.

Anyway, thanks for reading, here's to my dangerous new vintage obsession
I want a 5512 or 5513 (as long as it is a no date, I don't care) and a Moonphase as well. Make sure you start saving. The 5512/13 are not too bad compared to a good Moonphase. They are out there. Really out there. I'm hoping to snag one in rough shape and get it restored.
DrLindaPhD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2013, 02:06 AM   #9
The Waddler

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLindaPhD View Post
I want a 5512 or 5513 (as long as it is a no date, I don't care) and a Moonphase as well. Make sure you start saving. The 5512/13 are not too bad compared to a good Moonphase. They are out there. Really out there. I'm hoping to snag one in rough shape and get it restored.
I hear you. I want a 5513 because of the Roger Moore/James Bond thing and falling in love with it as a kid - I also think the dial is nicer with just the 2 lines. Good luck with your hunt!
Old 8 August 2013, 08:43 AM   #10
bde
"TRF" Member

Watch: -aholics anonymous
I've heard great things about Andrew, and have personal experience with Jacek. I bought a birth year 1680 from Jacek, and couldn't be happier!

Good luck in the hunt...that's half the fun!
bde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2013, 10:12 AM   #11
cop414
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: 14060M
Good luck Alex, keep us posted on the hunt. BTW, I think that the Ploprof is one of the most iconic dive watches out there.

Rolex Submariner 14060M
Omega Seamaster 2254.50
DOXA Professional 1200T

Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
TRF's "After Dark" Bar & NightClub Patron
P Club Member #17
2 FA ENABLED
cop414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2013, 01:22 PM   #12
John in MA
"TRF" Member

Good luck with hunt for a 76. I was lucky and eventually came across a 1680 from 76 on ebAy that I took the plunge on and it worked out. It's a nice feeling being able to have a birth year from 76 IMO as they are harder to find. Was always able to find 75 and 77's but those 76 were harder.

How To: Remove a Tudor Pelagos Endlink in 60 Seconds or Less
John in MA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2013, 07:39 PM   #13
Mark020
"TRF" Member

Nice 1680 here: click !
Mark020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2013, 06:09 AM   #14
The Waddler

That looks gorgeous Mark and it's 1976. Unfortunately for me it has to be the no date 5513 - it's all about it being Roger Moore's watch in Live and Let Die! But it's so nice of you to post that link mate
Old 9 August 2013, 06:16 AM   #15
Mark020
"TRF" Member

Well: not too scare you off but it took me 9 months to find a 1972 5513 for a friend :-)
Mark020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2013, 07:15 AM   #16
onehotchili
"TRF" Member

got my birth year 5513 from Jacek... a IV 1970. A great daily tool watch which I wear 95% of the time. here is a recent pic with a "summer" NATO strap. in the Fall, i'll switch back to the bracelet or one of a couple vintage leather straps. it is great to switch it up!

onehotchili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2013, 02:04 PM   #17
mysonsrolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5711
best of luck ... I am a 76 drop also and have been told it's one of the harder years to source.

I will be beginning my search shortly so keep us updated on how you get on!!
mysonsrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2013, 03:06 PM   #18
damo_t
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800, 94110
Good luck OP on your quest. I read your other thread and felt for you.

Enjoy the search, your birth year will not be too far away. Just make sure you have your funds ready this time around. ;)

My birth year, '81 has found me my 16800 Sub, blue snowflake 94110 and I'm hoping for a moon watch too. Then I'll be done.
But a 5512 will be so special.

I agree with previous posts that serial and year matching isn't an exact science (especially with Speedmaster Pro's), the sentiment is the winner here.
damo_t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2013, 05:36 PM   #19
nanagno
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1665 RD
You will get there, and please enjoy the journey...don't be in a rush!

my BD baby:

Old 10 August 2013, 05:09 PM   #20
DCheeta
"TRF" Member

Good luck! I'll be following your thread with great interest. This year I'll be embarking on a similar quest - to find a 1974 5513, or 1680. Keep us posted!
DCheeta is offline   Reply With Quote