The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 12 August 2013, 02:18 AM   #1
Clay
Banned

You can't judge a book by it's cover...

It occurred to me today that the vast majority of watches I have purchased over the years have looked infinitely better in person then in the photographs I saw or was sent by the seller...

Now to most seasoned watch collectors this may seem obvious, but to those out there new to the hobby let me just say this...

If the seller is offering to give you a day or two to look at the watch before committing to buy, then I would recommend you take them up on their offer...

I recently turned down a watch based on the pictures and on my own beliefs about this particular dial...

I was then given the opportunity to look at the watch in person, hold it in my hand and wear it...

I purchased the watch on the spot!!!

Just goes to show, you are never to old to learn...
Clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2013, 02:26 AM   #2
andromeda160
Banned

Watch: Rolex Oyster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay View Post
It occurred to me today that the vast majority of watches I have purchased over the years have looked infinitely better in person then in the photographs I saw or was sent by the seller...

Now to most seasoned watch collectors this may seem obvious, but to those out there new to the hobby let me just say this...

If the seller is offering to give you a day or two to look at the watch before committing to buy, then I would recommend you take them up on their offer...

I recently turned down a watch based on the pictures and on my own beliefs about this particular dial...

I was then given the opportunity to look at the watch in person, hold it in my hand and wear it...

I purchased the watch on the spot!!!

Just goes to show, you are never to old to learn...
I found this out as well, the bracelet on this watch was ROACHED, like really bad stretch, and in the pictures the bracelet looked fake, the watch head looked real and at $900 for a Rolex I atleast had to check it out. It turns out the guy bought the band after he bought the watch and the watch head was in great condition. I ended up getting $50 off for gas and it looked like the crystal was toast(there was a white scratch across 2/3 of the face. I was pulling out of the parking lot and I rubbed my finger at the white "scratch" and it ended up beig rubber or Somthing because it buffed off with my finger and the dial was so pristine I was sure it was a redial. I ended up getting a great condition 2 tone air king 5501 for $850 with a decent case, perfect bezel and crown, keeping great time with a 14kt trim USA jubilee. The watch ended up being in 100x better condition than I expected.
andromeda160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2013, 02:30 AM   #3
conrail
"TRF" Member

That's very true, especially with "tropical" dials - a lot look like disasters in photographs, but stunning in person in natural light.
Old 12 August 2013, 02:35 AM   #4
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by conrail View Post
That's very true, especially with "tropical" dials - a lot look like disasters in photographs, but stunning in person in natural light.
That is true because most dials people call tropical are disasters. True tropical or chocolate dials look good no matter what!

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2013, 02:43 PM   #5
motoikkyu
2024 Pledge Member

There's a lot to be said for face-to-face transactions.
motoikkyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2013, 09:29 PM   #6
joe100
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Explorer
It happens for sure. I've purchased watches via the sales section and once in my hand were not quite what I'd expected. No fault of the seller. Sorta like buying a car without seeing it.
Old 13 August 2013, 01:35 AM   #7
Michael M.
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelerFan65 View Post
That is true because most dials people call tropical are disasters. True tropical or chocolate dials look good no matter what!
Very true Ken
Michael M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2013, 01:51 AM   #8
Clay
Banned

Just received a watch I purchased...
After seeing it in person it's going back...
Clay is offline   Reply With Quote