The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

View Poll Results: If Rolex sold watches direct, via their website, would you buy?
YES 325 74.88%
NO 69 15.90%
NOT SURE 40 9.22%
Voters: 434. You may not vote on this poll

Old 18 September 2018, 10:23 AM   #61
debbs20
"TRF" Member

Yes i would in a flash.
debbs20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2018, 10:50 AM   #62
exador
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
I need to touch and try on first, so this would be a resounding no from me.
Pop down to your local AD and ask to touch and try on a new BLRO then let us know how it went
exador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2018, 11:41 AM   #63
05carbondrz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by exador View Post
Pop down to your local AD and ask to touch and try on a new BLRO then let us know how it went
You have to buy a TT Datejust in order to try the BLRO on.
05carbondrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2018, 01:03 PM   #64
CHOSEN1
"TRF" Member

Yes
CHOSEN1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2018, 05:44 PM   #65
Speedbird-1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watch This View Post
I don't find the concept that unlikely. Times are changing rapidly. Newspapers are becoming extinct. Malls are struggling to adapt to losing long-standing anchor tenants. Cabs are getting destroyed by Uber and Lyft. Kids these days function in a cashless society and rely upon internet purchases heavily. When was the last time you were in a record store? Artists rely on concert revenue because streaming services give their product away.

Brick and mortar stores are in trouble. Those with the ability to envision and accept these trends will profit. Those that can't will only complain.
Speedbird-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2018, 06:54 PM   #66
Speedbird-1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
which brands sell their hard to get watches online? Even AP which is adding an online boutique in the near future, i can pretty much guarantee you cant buy or add yourself to a WL for a 15407 for example. For that you have to go to a brand owned boutique and you still need to have huge spend to be considered in most cases. Huge AP spend is more than huge Rolex spend though. And being a brand owned boutique all your spend has to be on AP, so if you are a big spender of many brands that doesnt matter either. IWC doesn't sell their LE's online (at least that the ones i have looked at) and those are not really that hard to get. Not sure about Panerai's online boutique in the US but i don't think its the full catalogue.

I concede i can see (maybe) something like a DJ being able to be ordered online in the future because you can also "order" them from an AD now in the configuration you want in most cases. Daytona, not at all. People are referring to forum watches which are hard to get, not DJ's though and ill eat my hat if Rolex ever does that.
You make some good points Tyler.

On reflection, I feel my 'Poll Question' here, is almost redundant, in that the grey dealers have already circumvented the normal processes, (probably colluding with the AD's...aka. Rolex. Geneva) and are selling 'new,' Basel 2018 pieces online'.
With the downward spiral of highstreet shopping, its just a question now of when not if.
If the numbers at the top here are anything to go by, Rolex Direct would be a success.
Rolex will protest that they tried to control the 'flippers' with the stickers and warranty card nonsense. It was just 'lip service' though, wasn't it?
Online sales will damage 'the brand' some say. Well how much has 'the brand' been damaged by the supply issues over the last few years?
Going online would/could be perceived as Rolex shedding their somewhat stuffy image and that they are now looking upwards and onwards into the unavoidable sunlit future that is online.
They already have the expensive website. All that remains is to add the 'basket' and PayPal connection. Job done!
Rolex, with their reputation for a quality product, have nothing to fear and everything to gain.
Old 18 September 2018, 06:58 PM   #67
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Virgil Hilts View Post
You make some good points Tyler.

On reflection, I feel my 'Poll Question' here, is almost redundant, in that the grey dealers have already circumvented the normal processes, (probably colluding with the AD's...aka. Rolex. Geneva) and are selling 'new,' Basel 2018 pieces online'.
With the downward spiral of highstreet shopping, its just a question now of when not if.
If the numbers at the top here are anything to go by, Rolex Direct would be a success.
Rolex will protest that they tried to control the 'flippers' with the stickers and warranty card nonsense. It was just 'lip service' though, wasn't it?
Online sales will damage 'the brand' some say. Well how much has 'the brand' been damaged by the supply issues over the last few years?
Going online would/could be perceived as Rolex shedding their somewhat stuffy image and that they are now looking upwards and onwards into the unavoidable sunlit future that is online.
They already have the expensive website. All that remains is to add the 'basket' and PayPal connection. Job done!
Rolex, with their reputation for a quality product, have nothing to fear and everything to gain.
i just think an online presence isnt necessarily going to be what people would want it for.... IE getting a hard to get watch, and bypassing WL procedures if they are not advantageous to them. Its going to be watches every AD has anyway and you could buy those online too IMO.

Like it or not, distribution of hot models to particular people is good business as it rewards the most loyal customers and i cant see anyone changing that as it makes it a democratic process and takes control from the brand or the AD, and business doesn't thrive in equal distribution because all customers are not equal in terms of ROI. Getting a hot watch these days means the AD thinks that customer will come back and buy more and more if they remain happy. If it was a hypothetical brand owned boutique it would be the same as an AD.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2018, 08:43 PM   #68
Speedbird-1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
i just think an online presence isnt necessarily going to be what people would want it for.... IE getting a hard to get watch, and bypassing WL procedures if they are not advantageous to them. Its going to be watches every AD has anyway and you could buy those online too IMO.

Like it or not, distribution of hot models to particular people is good business as it rewards the most loyal customers and i cant see anyone changing that as it makes it a democratic process and takes control from the brand or the AD, and business doesn't thrive in equal distribution because all customers are not equal in terms of ROI. Getting a hot watch these days means the AD thinks that customer will come back and buy more and more if they remain happy. If it was a hypothetical brand owned boutique it would be the same as an AD.
I reckon we have a reasonable cross-section on this forum.
(Including all the various 'dealers' that have a vested interest and an axe to grind. I don't imagine any of those voted, yes).
What do the numbers at the top tell us, do you think?
Old 18 September 2018, 08:50 PM   #69
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
(Including all the various 'dealers' that have a vested interest and an axe to grind. I don't imagine any of those voted, yes).
It just tells us people want the watches, if you put up a poll saying do you want prices reduced by 30% you'd get the same answer. Rolex have to balance far more criteria than just giving the people what they want, esp in the short term.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2018, 09:15 PM   #70
Speedbird-1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
It just tells us people want the watches, if you put up a poll saying do you want prices reduced by 30% you'd get the same answer. Rolex have to balance far more criteria than just giving the people what they want, esp in the short term.
What other criteria?
Other than giving your, mostly loyal, customers what they want?

Rolex can't be happy to be damaging their own reputation, can they?
Old 18 September 2018, 09:17 PM   #71
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I would not buy online as I can source most of the watches that I want from my AD or TS. I understand the price benefit of paying msrp for hot models but if they were available on line they would not be hot for long and the second hand market would be less than the web site. I also have a long term relationship with my AD and buy items other than Rolex watches through them. The customer service and discounts add up to a better deal than buying off a web site.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2018, 09:21 PM   #72
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
it tells me that people like the idea, but are misguided in that its going to get them a hot watch sooner or in a better way, it wont.

If you cant get a watch now, then you have a vested interest tearing everything to the ground as it cant get worse for you therefore anything "different" seems like its worth a try
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
Old 18 September 2018, 10:24 PM   #73
Speedbird-1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
it tells me that people like the idea, but are misguided in that its going to get them a hot watch sooner or in a better way, it wont.
Why not...how do you know?

If you cant get a watch now, then you have a vested interest tearing everything to the ground as it cant get worse for you therefore anything "different" seems like its worth a try
Well, it is, isn't it?

I turned 69 years old, last month, and I want my new watch NOW!!
Old 18 September 2018, 10:28 PM   #74
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I turned 69 years old, last month, and I want my new watch NOW!![/COLOR]
in the UK you have a tough road...I'd do what the rest of those at retirement age here do. Move to spain. They have AD's
Old 18 September 2018, 10:50 PM   #75
Dilemma
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Rolex can't be happy to be damaging their own reputation, can they?
I don’t know. Are they really damaging their reputation? You can’t use this place as a indicator that’s for sure.
Dilemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2018, 10:55 PM   #76
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilemma View Post
I don’t know. Are they really damaging their reputation? You can’t use this place as a indicator that’s for sure.
like it or not this place is much more lively due to the shortage. Passion on both sides of the issue but its undeniable its engaging more people and as the saying goes there is no such thing as bad publicity.

When times are good its a lot less of this kind of discussion and more focused on the watches for sure, but controversy and intrigue and conspiracy is what really drives most people.

shortage threads have supplanted discount threads probably by double from when those were quite common, so is that bad for brand image? Probably not.
Old 18 September 2018, 11:09 PM   #77
Dilemma
"TRF" Member

@ tyler. I guess what I meant was people here are probably not the average Rolex buyer. I agree, it’s certainly given *Us* something to gnaw on but I’d venture to say that most people’s Rolex knowledge starts and stops with a Sub.

I could be wrong. Been wrong before.
Dilemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2018, 11:16 PM   #78
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilemma View Post
@ tyler. I guess what I meant was people here are probably not the average Rolex buyer. I agree, it’s certainly given *Us* something to gnaw on but I’d venture to say that most people’s Rolex knowledge starts and stops with a Sub.

I could be wrong. Been wrong before.
i tend to think the average buyer buys a DJ or a Sub. Obviously a DJ isnt hard to find and a Sub is one of the easier hot models. I really don't think the average buyer probably has noticed too much.

A shocking number of people what a Rolex and when they are ready to buy a Rolex go to an AD and decide based on the selection thats there.
Old 18 September 2018, 11:35 PM   #79
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Quote:
i tend to think the average buyer buys a DJ or a Sub. Obviously a DJ isnt hard to find and a Sub is one of the easier hot models. I really don't think the average buyer probably has noticed too much.

A shocking number of people what a Rolex and when they are ready to buy a Rolex go to an AD and decide based on the selection thats there.
This. Most buyers walk in, see a watch they like and buy it. "We" are in the minority.

There's a reason the DJ is Rolex' best selling watch. By some margin.

What is perhaps ironic about this entire thread is that certain posters appear to be of the belief that selling high demand references online is going to make the slightest difference to actual availability.

It may regulate wait lists to ensure that if you order your Daytona at Rolex.com you truly are number 2165 on the list, rather than being on a list that evolves and changes like a living, breathing thing every time a VIP/friend of the AD/celebrity walks in the door of the AD, but in all reality its not going to appear any sooner.

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2018, 01:17 AM   #80
Speedbird-1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
in the UK you have a tough road...I'd do what the rest of those at retirement age here do. Move to spain. They have AD's
Haha! No, never. Spain's overrun with ex-pat refugees, desperately trying to return to Blighty, but can't sell their cut price villas. Anyway all the AD's down there, are full of fugitive British bank robbers, drug dealers and their orange wives.
No, I'll stay, happily retired in beautiful, beautiful, Dorset.
Every day's a holiday, woohoo!!
Old 19 September 2018, 01:32 AM   #81
Raku
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Explorer
Quote:
How is that different than asking an AD (which includes boutiques) for a watch and picking it up when it comes in?
The differences are obvious: on the website you order the model you want, as opposed to the current practice where you buy whatever the AD has available in stock. This will eliminate all the limited availability nonsense, 5 year waiting lists, 50% deposits or ''you need to buy a 15k diamond ring in order to get 6k SS GMT'' tactic.
Raku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2018, 01:49 AM   #82
Carry The Interest
"TRF" Member

Watch: RLX, ALS
Quote:

Very true. Someone at my office (not a WIS by any means) wears a Z-Blue Milguass. It came up in conversation one day while we were both in the kitchen. He told he just walked into an AD (this must have been about 6 months ago now) and just picked the steel model that he liked the most from the display case. A few months later he made a comment about my BLNR saying how he really liked it and didn't see "one of those" when he was browsing. When I briefly explained to him there was a waitlist for the watch, etc. he looked completely baffled. My guess is his reaction is the same as 99.9% of other people who walk into an AD.
Carry The Interest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2018, 01:56 AM   #83
bobabreath
"TRF" Member

I think a good solution is to have online sales where Rolex makes the watch when you order it. That way supply = demand. Then there will be no premade supply to get snatched up by wealthy VIPs and grey market flippers. No unpopular models lying around begging for an owner. The average Joe in his pajamas at home can get whatever in the catalog. Who cares if this devalues the Pepsi ceramic, SS Daytona etc. Watches are for wearing, not for investing. Rolex will release another hot item next year anyway.

Retail stores will be for trying on dummy watches and minor servicing like bracelets and bezel inserts. No more risk of smash and grab robberies. Just go there to hang out, have a Coke and talk about watches.
bobabreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2018, 02:02 AM   #84
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raku View Post
The differences are obvious: on the website you order the model you want, as opposed to the current practice where you buy whatever the AD has available in stock. This will eliminate all the limited availability nonsense, 5 year waiting lists, 50% deposits or ''you need to buy a 15k diamond ring in order to get 6k SS GMT'' tactic.
so you are both wanting online ordering and unlimited availability. AD's are not making it up when they say they don't get very many. They don't. IMO thats two separate issues and online ordering cant solve the fact that demand is higher than supply and it could make it worse.

I would get on a daytona WL online if i could. I don't want a daytona. Maybe in 5 years i would want it and i would clog up the WL. Thats the same as what people do now at AD's. The difference is i have a good relationship with my AD and i only ask for what i want so i don't ask for stuff until im sure. If i had a no risk way to speculate sort of anonymously online, i just might.

I just don't fundamentally understand why people are connecting online ordering AND Rolex making more watches.
Old 19 September 2018, 03:57 AM   #85
Speedbird-1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
so you are both wanting online ordering and unlimited availability. AD's are not making it up when they say they don't get very many. They don't. IMO thats two separate issues and online ordering cant solve the fact that demand is higher than supply and it could make it worse.

I just don't fundamentally understand why people are connecting online ordering AND Rolex making more watches.
All Geneva has to do is get Taiichi Ohno San to sort out their manufacturing, supply and inventory chain for them, they could sell online, no problem.
Might be 'just in time' too!
Old 19 September 2018, 04:00 AM   #86
Kigan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blancpain AC01
No.
Old 19 September 2018, 06:12 AM   #87
A.I.
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LV
No.

Without the A.D. experience the purchase enjoyment would be far less.

Rolex by Amazon? No thanks.
A.I. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2018, 06:08 PM   #88
Speedbird-1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.I. View Post
No.

Without the A.D. experience the purchase enjoyment would be far less.

Rolex by Amazon? No thanks.
If Amazon got me what I wanted, at MRSP, then definitely, YES!

AD purchase enjoyment? I suspect many members here may have a job remembering that far back!
Old 19 September 2018, 06:28 PM   #89
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Quote:
All Geneva has to do is get Taiichi Ohno San to sort out their manufacturing, supply and inventory chain for them, they could sell online, no problem.
Might be 'just in time' too!

If anyone could either walk into a Rolex Boutique and pick up a SS Daytona, BLRO, LVC or SS Sky D with zero delays then after the initial flurry of interest they would sit languishing in cases unsold and be discounted by grey market resellers.

Just like Omega. And resale would be just like Omega too.

There is no panacea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2018, 06:31 PM   #90
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildog View Post
If anyone could either walk into a Rolex Boutique and pick up a SS Daytona, BLRO, LVC or SS Sky D with zero delays then after the initial flurry of interest they would sit languishing in cases unsold and be discounted by grey market resellers.

Just like Omega. And resale would be just like Omega too.

There is no panacea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
i agree 100%. Im very skeptical there are that many new buyers. There are lots of new flippers and lots of people who want solid value retention.

So there is a situation where you could say its possible that if they make 2X more watches, demand could go down by 4X. Its no longer an attractive purchase to really a lot of people and they could sell less watches by making more.

Job #1 needs to be keeping demand sky high as IMO the smart watch is a bigger threat than the quartz crisis. I didn't always believe it, but as i got my wife into mechanical watches i was happy she saw the value in it. Then she got an Apple watch. She misses the functionality when she isnt wearing it and wears it the most of any watch she has. The non WIS which is almost everyone needs to be sold on exclusivity as functionally a mechanical watch is a tough sell. The scarce models also happen to be the ones that appeal most to the younger buyer who this exclusivity/scarcity strategy is aimed at IMO. Rolex is more relevant now than they would be otherwise.