szabo_martin
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5711,Sub,DS,YM42
Lol really? So why do I hear every other day from ppl.. "hey is that a Rolex?"
Old 19 September 2018, 12:17 AM   #122
SubMarine
Banned

Watch: Submariner 16610
The Patek/RollsRoyce analogy is incorrect. The common man knows RR, but has no clue what a Patek is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SL BRABUS View Post
Rolex VS Patek Philippe

Both have the BEST of brand identity......

It is what it is....

Rolex will never be Patek Philippe caliber as brand wise.....

It more like Rolex (Mercedes-Benz) vs Patek (Rolls Royce).......

No doubt about it Nautilus is a GREAT watch and will get it in the near future...

Here are some of the video to get an idea why people pay big money for the Nautilus...^^^....

IMHO...

Those who LOVE Rolex as much as I do but want a Patek Philippe...

I think a better comparison would be DateJust VS Aquanaut 5167/1A bracelet version.....

On the video Tim Mosso say it wear like or better than the Rolex oyster bracelet ....^^^...... Tim also quote on youtube (Full bracelet 5167/1As are scarce. How scarce? I've shot almost a dozen Nautilus and Aquanaut variants on this channel since mid 2017, and this is my first full-bracelet Aquanaut. Best, Tim)

I know it not a Nautilus but this is my short review on my Aquanaut 5167/1A bracelet version VS Rolex SS Daytona ..... So you could get an idea about the Nautilus finishing and craftsmanship....

1. Aquanaut 5167 is the only Patek Philippe watch that can be change to 3 different type of Patek Philippe original equipment manufacturer strap such as bracelet, rubber, and crocodile leather strap with pin buckle or Calatrava cross deployant clasp....

I got the bracelet version because you can always add a rubber strap with deployant clasp and crocodile leather strap with pin buckle or Calatrava cross deployant clasp, later on in the future.

Most people in TRF say the bracelet is less popular then the rubber strap....

I know for the fact both pieces are sought after..... The waiting time is the same as rubber strap due to (1 out of 5) 5167 the bracelet is produce.....

Regarding about the Aquanaut bracelet version is very solid like the Rolex oyster bracelet unlike the Nautilus bracelet where people complain it clumsy and light weight making it feel fragile, not solid like the Rolex bracelet..... Nonetheless Nautilus is good looking bracelet...

The weight of the Aquanaut bracelet version is surprisingly at 137 grams with 2 links taking off the watch, same as the Rolex SS Daytona at 137 grams with 1 link taking off the watch.....

Technical the 5167/1a is a heavier watch compare to SS Daytona if both to have full links..

The 5167 bracelet version is very comfortable.... It like wearing a Rolex Daytona reference 116520

2. IMHO I find that the sunburst dial on the 5167 is more nicer than 5711...... It have that 50 shade of gray until it turn black depend on the light condition.... My favorite color of the dial depend on the light condition is when it anodizing aluminum, it give that gray/bronze look..

3. I think you all have to agree with me on this one... Very easy to read time quickly during day or night.... The lume is amazing both on the hour markers and the Arabic numerals....

4. Nobody dose the workmanship like a Patek Philippe... Nobody....

5. Strong conservative resale value......

Conclusion....

The Aquanaut bracelet version is flashy like the SS Daytona...... If you want under the radar then it best to go with the rubber strap.....

If you love how the Rolex SS Daytona wear plus want the big look of the Rolex Submariner, Patek Philippe Aquanaut 5167/1a-001on bracelet is the way to go, no doubt about it....

More video about Nautilus & Aquanaut if you guys interested..^^^..

Hopefully the information is helpful....

Old 19 September 2018, 12:18 AM   #123
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
Quote:
Originally Posted by szabo_martin View Post

Maybe it's the crowd you hang with. Not everybody on this planet is the same.

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 19 September 2018, 12:19 AM   #124
SubMarine
Banned

Watch: Submariner 16610
I respectfully disagree. Nobody outside of WIS circles knows (or cares) about what a Patek is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayShepherd View Post
The patek is a statement piece but the rolex is more reliable. I'd rather wear the Rolex on a daily then the patek on occasions
Old 19 September 2018, 12:20 AM   #125
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubMarine View Post
The Patek/RollsRoyce analogy is incorrect. The common man knows RR, but has no clue what a Patek is.
That's the truth and that's a real good thing.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 19 September 2018, 12:23 AM   #126
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I respectfully disagree. Nobody outside of WIS circles knows (or cares) about what a Patek is.
Yeah, but that's true for anyone one interest group who are focused on almost any type of thing.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 19 September 2018, 12:31 AM   #127
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilemma View Post
NOBODY notices watches but other watch geeks.
It's true, everyone has heard of the name of Rolex but 9 in 10 people couldn't tell you what one looked like, and why should they as not even half of that leftover amount will ever be close to buying one so why bother? Luxury watches are incredibly niche, even before you start subdividing into brand names.
Old 19 September 2018, 12:33 AM   #128
Dilemma
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by szabo_martin View Post
Yes. Really. I can’t answer your question unfortunately. I just know from my own personal experience (and many MANY here) it’s unusual when people notice my watch. Which is my preference. If I want to impress people I’ll just wear a tank top and flex my biceps.
Old 19 September 2018, 12:43 AM   #129
szabo_martin
"TRF" Member

There you go.... whatever works for you
Old 19 September 2018, 01:14 AM   #130
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
WIS having an argument on a 50k watch vs an 8k watch... don't forget how frustrating it is when we have to justify spending 8k on a watch to our non WIS friends. They have an excuse for "not getting it" i hate to say that we don't

I will never understand why its so hard to separate personal preference from the watchmaking of a watch. There are plenty of watches im not interested in, but ill concede the watchmaking contained in that watch
Exactly
Old 19 September 2018, 01:55 AM   #131
tom2517
"TRF" Member

No objection from me with resale value, but "Nobody does workmanship like Patek Philippe?"

He hasn't seen enough watches.
Old 19 September 2018, 02:01 AM   #132
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom2517 View Post
No objection from me with resale value, but "Nobody does workmanship like Patek Philippe?"

He hasn't seen enough watches.

You mean all the hand finishing work that's involved that'll you"ll never ever get from a Rolex?

But then again some people don't understand or appreciate these things.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 19 September 2018, 02:02 AM   #133
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
I prefer everything about the Patek.

I find the DateJust to be a very boring watch and would rather have a Submariner
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
Old 19 September 2018, 02:17 AM   #134
tom2517
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddrees View Post
You mean all the hand finishing work that's involved that'll you"ll never ever get from a Rolex?

But then again some people don't understand or appreciate these things.
The phrase says nobody, that includes not just Rolex, there are other brands does better workmanship than Patek.

Many parts in Patek are finished with machine tools, they are not as hand finished as you think.
Old 19 September 2018, 02:27 AM   #135
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The phrase says nobody, that includes not just Rolex, there are other brands does better workmanship than Patek.

Many parts in Patek are finished with machine tools, they are not as hand finished as you think.

Unless you have some inside knowledge which I've yet to read or hear I'm just going off of information I have read and other members who have much greater knowledge than I. But for now I'm going with that.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 19 September 2018, 02:30 AM   #136
tom2517
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Unless you have some inside knowledge which I've yet to read or hear I'm just going off of information I have read and other members who have much greater knowledge than I. But for now I'm going with that.
You can visit the Patek forum and search topics on Patek finishing.

They have long changed to using machine tools for beveling instead of wood stick, they even shown it on their own website.

Are they better finished than Rolex? Yes, but are they the best in business, no.

Patek is now the largest producer of watches in the HH category, they can't output that many watches without cutting corners, it is what it is.

Here, found one for you:

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=621148

I am not bashing, I love Patek, I just bought a 5131P this year, but at the same time I am not blind to their shortcomings.
Old 19 September 2018, 02:36 AM   #137
Tampashooter
"TRF" Member

There isn't a Patek in production I couldn't buy. But I prefer mens watches.
Old 19 September 2018, 02:40 AM   #138
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
You can visit the Patek forum and search topics on Patek finishing.

They have long changed to using machine tools for beveling instead of wood stick, they even shown it on their own website.

Are they better finished than Rolex? Yes, but are they the best in business, no.

Patek is now the largest producer of watches in the HH category, they can't output that many watches without cutting corners, it is what it is.
I have no idea when the changes you speak of may have occurred. Fact is I haven't followed most of this stuff since getting mine almost 10 years ago.

I get it. Believe me it's kind of a fact of life. It sucks in many ways. Processes have to change if not only to keep up but the fact that labor costs are so high. Some of those processes result in a better product and some do not. Some is just the thought that they are no longer any real craftsman left. Does that even mean the resulting finish is any better or worse? Sometimes yes, and sometimes it's just different.

That's why for some things I opt to buy older things. In a lot of cases they are still in great to pristine condition. Sometimes it's just because I refuse to buy disposable or even just plastic crap.

Oh, and before I forget. Thanks for sharing.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 19 September 2018, 02:47 AM   #139
tom2517
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I have no idea when the changes you speak of may have occurred. Fact is I haven't followed most of this stuff since getting mine almost 10 years ago.

I get it. Believe me it's kind of a fact of life. It sucks in many ways. Processes have to change if not only to keep up but the fact that labor costs are so high. Some of those processes result in a better product and some do not. Some is just the thought that they are no longer any real craftsman left. Does that even mean the resulting finish is any better or worse? Sometimes yes, and sometimes it's just different.

That's why for some things I opt to buy older things. In a lot of cases they are still in great to pristine condition. Sometimes it's just because I refuse to buy disposable or even just plastic crap.
Ok good, now you know.

Same happened to me, I started with Rolex, and then to Patek believing they are the best, but as I bought more and more watches and attended dinners with watchmakers or watch collectors, I started to learn in some aspects, Patek is not the best anymore.

But it's ok, I still love the brand and some of the watches they make
Old 19 September 2018, 02:50 AM   #140
szabo_martin
"TRF" Member

There are tiers within Patek as well. A Nautilus will not be in the same category as a grand master chime. A 5711 MSRP is less than a white gold GMT II BLRO and would be in comparison to a VC Overseas and an AP ROO. When compared to its direct completion it stacks up well
Old 19 September 2018, 03:14 AM   #141
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Ok good, now you know.

Same happened to me, I started with Rolex, and then to Patek believing they are the best, but as I bought more and more watches and attended dinners with watchmakers or watch collectors, I started to learn in some aspects, Patek is not the best anymore.

But it's ok, I still love the brand and some of the watches they make
Not sure I agree yet with the notion that a decision like this would change their position completely. I simply just don't have enough facts yet to conclude that. I have one thread and I have enough common sense to understand why they might want to do this at least with their less expensive or more heavily produced watches. I don't hang out with the same crowd nor do I follow this as closely as some. So I would need more before I would come to this conclusion.

Frankly some of these others simply do not make as many so that simply makes sense that they would be able to do things differently. I would agree however that often you can find better things from a custom shop or someone who makes a limited number of items every year.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 19 September 2018, 03:52 AM   #142
tom2517
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Not sure I agree yet with the notion that a decision like this would change their position completely. I simply just don't have enough facts yet to conclude that. I have one thread and I have enough common sense to understand why they might want to do this at least with their less expensive or more heavily produced watches. I don't hang out with the same crowd nor do I follow this as closely as some. So I would need more before I would come to this conclusion.

Frankly some of these others simply do not make as many so that simply makes sense that they would be able to do things differently. I would agree however that often you can find better things from a custom shop or someone who makes a limited number of items every year.
Even the high end Pateks you can still find some faults with them. I was merely saying when it comes to finishing, Patek is not at the top, that's entirely different than saying they are not the best watch company. Finishing is just one aspect of a watch.

You said output makes a difference. Of course I agree, GF makes about 100 pieces a year, Credor Eichi II is about 20 pieces a year, they have all the time in the world to do hand finishing. On the other hand, if Patek has to make 1M watches a year like Rolex, they wouldn't be doing any finishing either.

Now if we were to compare say, VC, AP, and ALS, yeah, I don't think there is much between them in terms of finishing, and throw in resale value, it's no secret why most people go for Patek every time.
Old 19 September 2018, 04:38 AM   #143
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
That is no longer true. Patek is all over music, hollywood and social media right now. 3 years ago I would have agreed.
Old 19 September 2018, 04:47 AM   #144
007Sub
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5514
Quote:
Originally Posted by SL BRABUS View Post
Rolex VS Patek Philippe

Both have the BEST of brand identity......

It is what it is....

Rolex will never be Patek Philippe caliber as brand wise.....

It more like Rolex (Mercedes-Benz) vs Patek (Rolls Royce).......

No doubt about it Nautilus is a GREAT watch and will get it in the near future...

Here are some of the video to get an idea why people pay big money for the Nautilus...^^^....

IMHO...

Those who LOVE Rolex as much as I do but want a Patek Philippe...

I think a better comparison would be DateJust VS Aquanaut 5167/1A bracelet version.....

On the video Tim Mosso say it wear like or better than the Rolex oyster bracelet ....^^^...... Tim also quote on youtube (Full bracelet 5167/1As are scarce. How scarce? I've shot almost a dozen Nautilus and Aquanaut variants on this channel since mid 2017, and this is my first full-bracelet Aquanaut. Best, Tim)

I know it not a Nautilus but this is my short review on my Aquanaut 5167/1A bracelet version VS Rolex SS Daytona ..... So you could get an idea about the Nautilus finishing and craftsmanship....

1. Aquanaut 5167 is the only Patek Philippe watch that can be change to 3 different type of Patek Philippe original equipment manufacturer strap such as bracelet, rubber, and crocodile leather strap with pin buckle or Calatrava cross deployant clasp....

I got the bracelet version because you can always add a rubber strap with deployant clasp and crocodile leather strap with pin buckle or Calatrava cross deployant clasp, later on in the future.

Most people in TRF say the bracelet is less popular then the rubber strap....

I know for the fact both pieces are sought after..... The waiting time is the same as rubber strap due to (1 out of 5) 5167 the bracelet is produce.....

Regarding about the Aquanaut bracelet version is very solid like the Rolex oyster bracelet unlike the Nautilus bracelet where people complain it clumsy and light weight making it feel fragile, not solid like the Rolex bracelet..... Nonetheless Nautilus is good looking bracelet...

The weight of the Aquanaut bracelet version is surprisingly at 137 grams with 2 links taking off the watch, same as the Rolex SS Daytona at 137 grams with 1 link taking off the watch.....

Technical the 5167/1a is a heavier watch compare to SS Daytona if both to have full links..

The 5167 bracelet version is very comfortable.... It like wearing a Rolex Daytona reference 116520

2. IMHO I find that the sunburst dial on the 5167 is more nicer than 5711...... It have that 50 shade of gray until it turn black depend on the light condition.... My favorite color of the dial depend on the light condition is when it anodizing aluminum, it give that gray/bronze look..

3. I think you all have to agree with me on this one... Very easy to read time quickly during day or night.... The lume is amazing both on the hour markers and the Arabic numerals....

4. Nobody dose the workmanship like a Patek Philippe... Nobody....

5. Strong conservative resale value......

Conclusion....

The Aquanaut bracelet version is flashy like the SS Daytona...... If you want under the radar then it best to go with the rubber strap.....

If you love how the Rolex SS Daytona wear plus want the big look of the Rolex Submariner, Patek Philippe Aquanaut 5167/1a-001on bracelet is the way to go, no doubt about it....

More video about Nautilus & Aquanaut if you guys interested..^^^..

Hopefully the information is helpful....

Great review! Thanks for sharing!

@true_patina
@true.dome
Old 19 September 2018, 04:58 AM   #145
007Sub
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5514
The reality is that Patek and Rolex are not comparable. They are both amazing in their own ways and so very different.

@true_patina
@true.dome
Old 19 September 2018, 02:18 PM   #146
SL BRABUS
"TRF" Member

Watch: Only Rolex & Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007Sub View Post
Great review! Thanks for sharing!
No problem......

Glad it helpful.....

"SL BRABUS" aka BenzWorld Undercover Moderator
Old 19 September 2018, 02:26 PM   #147
SL BRABUS
"TRF" Member

Watch: Only Rolex & Patek
Quote:
OK..... I change it to Patek (Brabus cars) since nobody have a clue what both is.....

Not sure what society you live in......

As brand identity.....

The society where I live in they know Rolex brand and what a Rolex look like.....

As for the Patek Philippe they know the brand and what a Patek Philippe suppose to look like by looking at, if the watch have that moonphase... They make not know what a Aquanaut & Nautilus look like but time have change and now they start to know....

Example of my experience with my grandmother.....

My grandmother don't know anything about watches but know Rolex watches and what it look like.....

She ask me why I don't buy another Rolex and what kind of watch brand I'm wearing on my wrist today....

I told her is a Patek Philippe grandma......

My grandmother respond is I never saw this kind of Patek Philippe watch before but I know Patek Philippe is very expensive and cost 3 time more than the Rolex....

I was shock for my grandma to know that and the Patek Philippe brand.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
That is no longer true. Patek is all over music, hollywood and social media right now. 3 years ago I would have agreed.
This....^^^......

That why the Aquanaut & Nautilus have the long waiting lists....

"SL BRABUS" aka BenzWorld Undercover Moderator
Old 19 September 2018, 03:26 PM   #148
007_Omega
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
Quote:
Not true. It's seeped into mainstream culture through rap and hip hop. I know plenty of people who know what Patek is and they have limited watch knowledge.
Old 19 September 2018, 04:56 PM   #149
Carry The Interest
"TRF" Member

Watch: RLX, ALS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007_Omega View Post
Not true. It's seeped into mainstream culture through rap and hip hop. I know plenty of people who know what Patek is and they have limited watch knowledge.
Have to agree with this. Can't help but think it's had a (minor) contribution towards the Nautilus craze over the past year as well...
Old 19 September 2018, 06:15 PM   #150
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007_Omega View Post
i can tell you, no one i personally know has any idea of what a patek is. There are pop culture references in rap sure, but not everyone even makes the connection. I still remember when i was into rap in the mid 90's and i really liked Dr Dre for example. Being from Montana i didn't get all the cultural references but it didn't make me like the music less. I didn't know what "dubs" were for a long time as in "rollin on Dubs"

Plus for the most part the age demographics are conflicting. Most people who know what a Patek is are much older than the age of someone who listens to most of the new hip hop. I still listen to the older stuff, not the new. While the actual musicians may be sporting Pateks, their target age 15-25 year old listener isnt going out and buying them, at least until they get a bit older.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
Closed Thread