The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

View Poll Results: If Rolex sold watches direct, via their website, would you buy?
YES 325 74.88%
NO 69 15.90%
NOT SURE 40 9.22%
Voters: 434. You may not vote on this poll

Old 17 September 2018, 11:49 PM   #31
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raku View Post
How about this:
You order your watch on the Rolex web site but they won't deliver it, you pick it up from a boutique.
Aren't you still getting that luxury treatment this way?
How is that different than asking an AD (which includes boutiques) for a watch and picking it up when it comes in?
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2018, 12:52 AM   #32
T3F
"TRF" Member

I really, really hope they kill the dealer model and start controlling distribution themselves, through both boutiques and online sales. I think there are quite a few advantages to this, for both the customer and Rolex itself.

1. They'll increase revenue substantially, as they won't be selling at a 37.5% (or whatever it is) discount to the dealers. Sure, it'll cost a bit more for them to operate their own boutiques, but the additional margin will more than make up for it.

2. The overall brand will be strengthened, from perception to resale. Fewer boutiques with better-trained salespeople will lead to better experiences when people interface with the brand. Rolex can interface directly with its customers, which provides multiple advantages. First, they don't have to worry about bad ADs turning people off of the brand (and I've been to quite a few ADs that I would throw in this category). Additionally, they can just provide an overall better experience where it feels like you're a friend of the brand instead of a customer to a specific dealer. AP is moving to boutiques only and is planning to offer online sales soon, and my experience dealing with AP has been far better than dealing with Rolex. I even like the way I get treated in an Omega boutique better. With Rolex, my AD treats me well, but in a way, Rolex is the "enemy" in that they're really difficult to deal with and provide no transparency. It feels like the AD has to beg and plead for Rolex to come through with anything.

3. The grey market can be weakened. They'll be able to figure out who the flippers are more easily, and will also help kill the fear that you could get a better deal on a watch somewhere else, as everyone would always pay retail for a new watch, period. As it stands now, I'd have a tough time buying a PM watch from an AD, as they won't give me the 30% discount (on some models, at least) that I could get from a grey dealer.

4. Distribution of rare models can be better-controlled. Personally, I'd take a multi-faceted approach to this that would allow smaller spenders to have a chance but also allow really good customers access to them. I'd implement a lottery system, where you can register interest and every month (or quarter, or whatever), a few people are allowed to buy one. At the same time, I'd have a VIP shop/portal where people who have spend $X can go and get immediate access to these rare watches.

For those worried about trying watches on, there are solutions. For one, I still think they should (and would) maintain boutiques in major cities, and if they did this in, say, the top 50 or so markets, pretty much everyone who would buy one of these watches would be relatively close to one. Another option would be to have dummy models, like the ones they take around after Basel, that can be shipped to customers to try on. Maybe they pay a small fee to cover shipping that could be applied towards a purchase.
Old 18 September 2018, 12:58 AM   #33
droptopman
"TRF" Member

Watch: SUBS and GMT's!
No question I would. I buy 90%+ of all items online, why should my watch be any different.
Only issue I see is the ability to build buying programs to buy all the hot models and we would have what we have now. So nothing would really change. We see this in the sneaker world. Someone builds a program to buy the hot models and the only way to get them is secondary market at significant upcharge.
Ty: By height.
droptopman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2018, 01:16 AM   #34
Speedbird-1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post
What would people post about if they could get the watches they want, when they want them. ;-)
Stickers and steering wheels of course!

(Hey, that might just be the title of my next book!)
Speedbird-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2018, 01:21 AM   #35
Why1504
"TRF" Member

I would.

However I think it is a terrible idea. It would really damage the brand.

The only good thing is if Rolex is the problem on supply we would know it.

I have serious doubts it would improve the Rolex bottom line.
Old 18 September 2018, 01:25 AM   #36
Speedbird-1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3F View Post
I really, really hope they kill the dealer model and start controlling distribution themselves, through both boutiques and online sales. I think there are quite a few advantages to this, for both the customer and Rolex itself.

1. They'll increase revenue substantially, as they won't be selling at a 37.5% (or whatever it is) discount to the dealers. Sure, it'll cost a bit more for them to operate their own boutiques, but the additional margin will more than make up for it.

2. The overall brand will be strengthened, from perception to resale. Fewer boutiques with better-trained salespeople will lead to better experiences when people interface with the brand. Rolex can interface directly with its customers, which provides multiple advantages. First, they don't have to worry about bad ADs turning people off of the brand (and I've been to quite a few ADs that I would throw in this category). Additionally, they can just provide an overall better experience where it feels like you're a friend of the brand instead of a customer to a specific dealer. AP is moving to boutiques only and is planning to offer online sales soon, and my experience dealing with AP has been far better than dealing with Rolex. I even like the way I get treated in an Omega boutique better. With Rolex, my AD treats me well, but in a way, Rolex is the "enemy" in that they're really difficult to deal with and provide no transparency. It feels like the AD has to beg and plead for Rolex to come through with anything.

3. The grey market can be weakened. They'll be able to figure out who the flippers are more easily, and will also help kill the fear that you could get a better deal on a watch somewhere else, as everyone would always pay retail for a new watch, period. As it stands now, I'd have a tough time buying a PM watch from an AD, as they won't give me the 30% discount (on some models, at least) that I could get from a grey dealer.

4. Distribution of rare models can be better-controlled. Personally, I'd take a multi-faceted approach to this that would allow smaller spenders to have a chance but also allow really good customers access to them. I'd implement a lottery system, where you can register interest and every month (or quarter, or whatever), a few people are allowed to buy one. At the same time, I'd have a VIP shop/portal where people who have spend $X can go and get immediate access to these rare watches.

For those worried about trying watches on, there are solutions. For one, I still think they should (and would) maintain boutiques in major cities, and if they did this in, say, the top 50 or so markets, pretty much everyone who would buy one of these watches would be relatively close to one. Another option would be to have dummy models, like the ones they take around after Basel, that can be shipped to customers to try on. Maybe they pay a small fee to cover shipping that could be applied towards a purchase.
I'm voting for you in the next; Rolex, CEO election campaign.

GET THE ROLEX YOU WANT
VOTE T3F
Old 18 September 2018, 01:26 AM   #37
R!$
Banned

i would prefer this also
R!$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2018, 01:31 AM   #38
Speedbird-1
"TRF" Member

I wonder if any of the alleged Geneva 'moles', are looking at the numbers at the top...and reporting back to base.

(I also wonder if Geneva will actually give a monkeys?)
Old 18 September 2018, 01:39 AM   #39
kolarn
"TRF" Member

Would be great if they actually had any you wanted to buy for sale!!!!
kolarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2018, 01:44 AM   #40
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Virgil Hilts View Post
I wonder if any of the alleged Geneva 'moles', are looking at the numbers at the top...and reporting back to base.

(I also wonder if Geneva will actually give a monkeys?)
which brands sell their hard to get watches online? Even AP which is adding an online boutique in the near future, i can pretty much guarantee you cant buy or add yourself to a WL for a 15407 for example. For that you have to go to a brand owned boutique and you still need to have huge spend to be considered in most cases. Huge AP spend is more than huge Rolex spend though. And being a brand owned boutique all your spend has to be on AP, so if you are a big spender of many brands that doesnt matter either. IWC doesn't sell their LE's online (at least that the ones i have looked at) and those are not really that hard to get. Not sure about Panerai's online boutique in the US but i don't think its the full catalogue.

I concede i can see (maybe) something like a DJ being able to be ordered online in the future because you can also "order" them from an AD now in the configuration you want in most cases. Daytona, not at all. People are referring to forum watches which are hard to get, not DJ's though and ill eat my hat if Rolex ever does that.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
Old 18 September 2018, 01:50 AM   #41
vipereaper30
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: FPJ UTC
No way, never going to happen. It would damage the brand and lead to bots getting all of our watches. If you think it's bad now turn this game over to the quants and then it's, as the great late Bill Paxton would say, "game over man...game over!"
vipereaper30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2018, 02:03 AM   #42
Speedbird-1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
Why?

Rolex sells luxury not watches.

Can you sell the luxury experience online?
I have never bought anything for the 'luxury experience' (whatever that is).
For the individual that needs a retail, 'pat on the head', that would seem to me to be a very expensive way to have one's ego stroked.

The Rolex, 'luxury experience', for me is catching sight of my GMT on the bedside table, and slipping that beauty on my wrist every morning.
The retail part, I can do, without, thank you.
Old 18 September 2018, 02:09 AM   #43
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Virgil Hilts View Post
I have never bought anything for the 'luxury experience' (whatever that is).
For the individual that needs a retail, 'pat on the head', that would seem to me to be a very expensive way to have one's ego stroked.

The Rolex, 'luxury experience', for me is catching sight of my GMT on the bedside table, and slipping that beauty on my wrist every morning.
The retail part, I can do, without, thank you.
its the warm fuzzy feeling most people feel when dropping insane amounts on money on an item they don't need and it allows them to pull the trigger. Most people are not like us and know what we want.

Shopping watches with my wife takes months, and she goes back again and again and again. Tries everything on in the store and then thinks about it and then repeats every so often until she is ready. Its not that abnormal either. Then at the end the experience was a big part of what she enjoyed.
Old 18 September 2018, 02:11 AM   #44
Speedbird-1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
ill eat my hat if Rolex ever does that.

D'you want cheese, with that?.....Gruyere, of course!
Old 18 September 2018, 02:16 AM   #45
101031-28
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1665
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
...all the places its not safe to wear them

Ian Fleming
101031-28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2018, 02:47 AM   #46
bobabreath
"TRF" Member

Rolex should do both internet and store. People recognize a quality product and internet does not devalue, it increases access and sales. A physical store is still necessary to maintain marketing prominence and cater to those who need to see the product first. See how Apple does it.
bobabreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2018, 02:57 AM   #47
DoctorA
"TRF" Member

This might eliminate some of the games ADs will play! But honestly I never foresee it happening! I believe rolex allows some of the games to unload some of their PM models as well
Old 18 September 2018, 03:03 AM   #48
Carry The Interest
"TRF" Member

Watch: RLX, ALS
I can't imagine the day where you could browse the Rolex website, pick the watch you like, add it to your online cart, then check out and wait for the watch to be shipped to you.

This whole online DTC model directly conflicts with everything the brand has been doing regarding supply, etc.
Carry The Interest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2018, 04:46 AM   #49
Vetracer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116500LN
If their website reflected the current global AD availability then my answer is no I wouldn’t buy from them because they wouldn’t have anything of interest to me.
Vetracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2018, 05:01 AM   #50
toneafficianado
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I’d buy online for sure.
Wouldn’t it be great to actually pay online and get the model you want in a week or so?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
toneafficianado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2018, 05:19 AM   #51
101031-28
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1665
I would

Ian Fleming
101031-28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2018, 05:23 AM   #52
superstarmar
Banned

Watch: my wrist presence
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
No. I want my Diet Coke
Right on right on ...
superstarmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2018, 05:35 AM   #53
James444
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex n Tudor
Sales online gd news for flipper who want to earn a profit, just my thinking
James444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2018, 05:39 AM   #54
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
Why?

Rolex sells luxury not watches.

Can you sell the luxury experience online?
I agree while times are good or normal things will not change, but in future if the watch market really collapses to the takeover of I-tech then maybe Rolex will have to cut costs and become more creative and direct, but Rolex will be the last watch brand name to have to adapt, if it ever will.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2018, 07:17 AM   #55
Skyrider01
2024 Pledge Member

If the price and availability is the same at an AD, I will go through the AD.
If cheaper online or available quicker, I will buy online.
Skyrider01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2018, 07:22 AM   #56
t65tampa
"TRF" Member

Online sales would cheapen the brand. If anything, Rolex will continue to restrain sales channels.
Old 18 September 2018, 09:09 AM   #57
Sarosh
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
I agree while times are good or normal things will not change, but in future if the watch market really collapses to the takeover of I-tech then maybe Rolex will have to cut costs and become more creative and direct, but Rolex will be the last watch brand name to have to adapt, if it ever will.
We’ll all be long gone before that ever has to happen!! Which is why I’m already gonna put my grandchild’s name on a wait list for a Daytona!! Might actually arrive on time for their 18th and if not they can order it online and wait a few more years

Doesn’t matter online or not. All we would be doing is readily giving them our money and most likely have an undetermined delivery date on the more ‘in demand’ watches....

“It’s a watch, it tells time. Not much else”
Sarosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2018, 09:57 AM   #58
Seibei
Banned

Watch: 114060
If the point of these online sales was is vet the buyers and ensure that people who genuinely want a Rolex to wear and cherish can buy the watch they want, then yes, I would support Rolex online sales. Rolex will know exactly who they are selling to and flippers will simply be black listed. I can't wait.
Seibei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2018, 09:59 AM   #59
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
That may help availability for some models but I'd rather haggle a little. I've never paid MSRP

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2018, 10:20 AM   #60
Watch This
Banned

Watch: SS YMII
I don't find the concept that unlikely. Times are changing rapidly. Newspapers are becoming extinct. Malls are struggling to adapt to losing long-standing anchor tenants. Cabs are getting destroyed by Uber and Lyft. Kids these days function in a cashless society and rely upon internet purchases heavily. When was the last time you were in a record store? Artists rely on concert revenue because streaming services give their product away.

Brick and mortar stores are in trouble. Those with the ability to envision and accept these trends will profit. Those that can't will only complain.
Watch This is offline   Reply With Quote