The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 9 November 2021, 12:43 PM   #61
zapokee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolexGonz View Post
He said he doesn’t want to sell.
I think we'll see it at auction once it's been properly evaluated, assuming everything checks out.

It's not wearable at this price point. All you can do is sell it.
zapokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2021, 01:01 PM   #62
alwayshere
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapokee View Post
I think we'll see it at auction once it's been properly evaluated, assuming everything checks out.

It's not wearable at this price point. All you can do is sell it.
tend to agree. Plus we have heard the story so many times before. People tend to buckle at $ end of the day. I would sell it if i was in his shoe.
alwayshere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2021, 09:21 PM   #63
klou
"TRF" Member

If it is worth as much as some people here think, I would be too scared to wear it. Hopefully, we’ll get a better idea of the condition and originality of it in a couple of weeks. If it ends up being worth less, I’d be better able to justify keeping it, and wearing it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
klou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2021, 11:01 PM   #64
southtexas
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by klou View Post
If it is worth as much as some people here think, I would be too scared to wear it. Hopefully, we’ll get a better idea of the condition and originality of it in a couple of weeks. If it ends up being worth less, I’d be better able to justify keeping it, and wearing it.

I like your strategy. What is your threshold for keeping it vs. selling it? $250,000? $450,000?

Follow me on Instagram @ccrolex
southtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2021, 01:51 PM   #65
klou
"TRF" Member

Hi all, I just wanted to update you all on the 5510. Happily, the watch is all original, and the movement was in good condition when the back was taken off. However, the bittersweet reality is that we can't justify wearing a watch worth this much, and (as a few people predicted) we have therefore decided that we won't be able to keep it as an heirloom like we originally intended. Many thanks for the advice and pointers - we have learnt a lot about vintage Rolex's since we first put this post up, and I am looking forward to the day when I can buy my first vintage sub (just not one as rare/expensive as a 5510)!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1302reduced.jpg (203.1 KB, 336 views)
klou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2021, 01:56 PM   #66
indianmachine
"TRF" Member

Congrats on verifying the originality and good decision in my opinion.
indianmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2021, 02:13 PM   #67
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
However, the bittersweet reality is that we can't justify wearing a watch worth this much, and (as a few people predicted) we have therefore decided that we won't be able to keep it as an heirloom like we originally intended. !
It's not easy to predict the market on a piece like this, but unless you need the cash, holding it as an investment is worth some consideration.
Old 15 December 2021, 04:07 PM   #68
southtexas
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Hi all, I just wanted to update you all on the 5510. Happily, the watch is all original, and the movement was in good condition when the back was taken off. However, the bittersweet reality is that we can't justify wearing a watch worth this much, and (as a few people predicted) we have therefore decided that we won't be able to keep it as an heirloom like we originally intended. Many thanks for the advice and pointers - we have learnt a lot about vintage Rolex's since we first put this post up, and I am looking forward to the day when I can buy my first vintage sub (just not one as rare/expensive as a 5510)!

Well that’s a bittersweet position to be in. That watch would’ve made a fortune in last weekend’s Phillips auction. Please carefully weigh your options before deciding what to do. I’ve got to think you’d get top dollar in a high profile auction.

Follow me on Instagram @ccrolex
southtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2021, 04:20 PM   #69
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Omg! I have never seen such beautiful bevels.

Don’t polish and don’t bring the watch within a city block of an rsc.
Old 16 December 2021, 12:36 AM   #70
dhknola
"TRF" Member

I would contact Phillips and negotiate a deal where the seller fees are lowered because this is a catalogue cover watch. I would not sell privately as the buying dealer will just consign it to Phillips. In the current market, Phillips seems to out perform Christies and Sotheby's...mega watch!
dhknola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2021, 06:18 AM   #71
Mendota
"TRF" Member

Watch: OP36 Blue 3-6-9
OMG that is absolutely spectacular. What a beautiful find. His entire collection is marvelous. He had wonderful taste in watches. I bet he was a classy man.

The 5510 is my all time grail piece. I really like all of the early to mid '50s big crowns, but there's something about the 5510 specifically that sings to me. It could be the rarity of the piece, but also it's the fact that it used the 15xx movement instead of the 1030. It adds a bit more reliability and ease of locating parts.

This is a beautiful specimen and I know your grandfather would be proud and happy knowing that the family is able to work with trusted people here to make sure that it gets into the right hands and also that your family is able to benefit from the sale of the piece, as well.

What a fantastic find. Please do keep adding to this thread with photos and updates. Again, you absolutely came to the right place. There are incredibly knowledgeable collectors here in this forum who are generous with their time and expertise to help you.
Mendota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2021, 08:21 AM   #72
alwayshere
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Keep us posted on this. It'll be at least a house deposit in Australia! :D

Hey, forgive me if this comes across slightly strong (I have done this several times before haha) but could you consider donating (becoming a pledge member) to this Board? I think its only a $35 one time fee.

Many of the members here have given their inputs for free to help you and donations such as this helps to keep the Board going, continuing the sharing of knowledge and good advice. Please think about it!
alwayshere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2021, 08:35 AM   #73
Kingface66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1966 Rolex 5513
Quote:
Originally Posted by alwayshere View Post
Keep us posted on this. It'll be at least a house deposit in Australia! :D

Hey, forgive me if this comes across slight strong (I have done this several times before haha) but could you consider donating (becoming a pledge member) to this Board? I think its only $35 one time fee.

Many of the members here have given their inputs for free to help you and donations such as this helps to keep the Board going, continuing the sharing of knowledge and good advice. Please think about it!
Great conceit, and well-said.
And OP, that watch is mesmerizing in its beauty!
Kingface66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2021, 12:56 PM   #74
KY..
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 60s to 90s
This story is so good I had to wear my 1680 that unfortunately did not come from pops or grandpa…
Perfect example why vintage beats out modern all day every day to me…
Thank you for sharing…

Quote:
Hi all,

I have recently discovered an old Sub that was previously owned by my late Grandfather. It has been boxed in storage for the last 22 years. He collected watches, and this watch was one of many we discovered (although it was by far the most remarkable) very recently. It doesn't currently work.

Assuming it is genuine, learning about this watch has been amazing, and we have appreciated the wealth of knowledge in this forum.

My family want to restore it.

I just wanted to update you all on the 5510. Happily, the watch is all original, and the movement was in good condition when the back was taken off. However, the bittersweet reality is that we can't justify wearing a watch worth this much, and (as a few people predicted) we have therefore decided that we won't be able to keep it as an heirloom like we originally intended.

KY.. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2021, 10:17 PM   #75
Erpin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex DRSD
Its a real beauty. Looks hardly used. I would be interested should you decide to sell it.

Erpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2022, 07:46 PM   #76
rumahrolex
"TRF" Member

It's amazing, if it's me i will keep it..
rumahrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2022, 08:02 PM   #77
T4ME
"TRF" Member

What is the estimated worth?
T4ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2022, 06:35 AM   #78
Mark020
"TRF" Member

At the right auction I would not be surprised with USD 300-500k.
Mark020 is offline   Reply With Quote