The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 12 August 2011, 11:44 AM   #1
aliasneo07
"TRF" Member

Could use some help identifying/repairing my grandfathers Rolex...

Hello all, new to the forums and Rolex stuff in general.

My grandfather passed a year or two ago and left me his watch. I tried to identify it but am having trouble. I would like to know a few things:

1. Make and Mfr. Date (So I can read more about it)
2. Learn its value (Not going to sell it, just curious)
3. Learn the best way to go about repairing it. Looks fairly beat up. He was in the navy and I guess wore it all the time. I'd really like to get it looking new again, get a new band (too small for me.)

Here are pics:

Would really like to find out how old it is, its value, and how I can get it back into good looking shape. (Watch seems to function fine.)

Thanks very much everyone!
aliasneo07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2011, 12:16 PM   #2
Oyster1982
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex DJ
Take off the band at the 6 o clock position and get the serial number, that should tell you how old it is. Than you can take the band off at the 12 o clock position to get the model number.
Old 12 August 2011, 01:11 PM   #3
mrbill2mrbill2
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
You don't know when your grandfather passed? "... a year or two ago."???????

Wow!!!!!!!!!

Old 12 August 2011, 01:22 PM   #4
Nalk7
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114270,5508,124060
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbill2mrbill2 View Post

Wow!!!!!!!!!

My thoughts exactly

nice looking watch though, Im sure its lived through many adventures.
Nalk7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2011, 01:22 PM   #5
Runnin' Rebel
"TRF" Member

Sorry about your Grandpops, if it's authentic, thats pretty sweet when it's all cleaned up
Old 12 August 2011, 03:56 PM   #6
aliasneo07
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Wow!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalk7 View Post
My thoughts exactly

nice looking watch though, Im sure its lived through many adventures.
Jeez...he passed February 7th 2011...about a year a half and ago, so I said a year or two because I didn't think it was relevant to the post. I know when my own grandfather passed, but I'm glad that's what stood out in my post.

Aaannyyywwwaaayyy...thanks for the tip about the band coming off to find the numbers, ill do that when I get home from work.

Anyone know how much to fix it up into nice looking condition? Seems to be fine mechanically but its really scratched up. I'd like to get a new band, replace the glass (lens?), and maybe take some scratches out of the watch itself?

Where would be the best place to send it? Anyone know what the watch might be worth? I'd rather not spend $500 to repair a $600 watch, at least right now.

Thanks again everyone I appreciate the help.
Old 12 August 2011, 04:12 PM   #7
aliasneo07
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAGERVEGAS View Post
Sorry about your Grandpops, if it's authentic, thats pretty sweet when it's all cleaned up
"If its authentic?" LOL. Now you got me wondering. Hopefully he didn't buy it from some street vendor in another country lol. No, ill have to ask my dad, but I believe it was a gift to him when he made cmndr.
Old 12 August 2011, 04:32 PM   #8
Runnin' Rebel
"TRF" Member

Good luck, get it all fixed and post some pics
Old 12 August 2011, 05:16 PM   #9
Gugnunc
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5500 Exp & 114270
Very unlikely that it is a fake; at the time it was made (late fifties/early sixties I would think) faking Rolexes hadn't become as fashionable as it is today, plus nobody today is going to fake an old Rolex unless it is a very collectable (sorry, yours isn't).
However if you do decide to have it refurbished you will be astonished at just how close to new it can be made to look. You say that you will have to replace the bracelet - be aware that you have (I think) a rivetted expanding-link bracelet which will have a significant value on the second-hand market. The downside is that new Rolex bracelets are very expensive - fortunately your style of watch is well suited to a quality leather strap - cheaper by a factor of ten or more!
Go for it - you will have a permanent reminder of your grandfather and a watch that will last you a lifetime. The real value of the watch is what it means to you - not something related to £ or $.

Last edited by Gugnunc; 12 August 2011 at 05:20 PM.. Reason: My usual spelling mistakes!
Gugnunc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2011, 06:08 PM   #10
MonBK
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliasneo07 View Post
Jeez...he passed February 7th 2011...about a year a half and ago, so I said a year or two because I didn't think it was relevant to the post. I know when my own grandfather passed, but I'm glad that's what stood out in my post.

Aaannyyywwwaaayyy...thanks for the tip about the band coming off to find the numbers, ill do that when I get home from work.

Anyone know how much to fix it up into nice looking condition? Seems to be fine mechanically but its really scratched up. I'd like to get a new band, replace the glass (lens?), and maybe take some scratches out of the watch itself?

Where would be the best place to send it? Anyone know what the watch might be worth? I'd rather not spend $500 to repair a $600 watch, at least right now.

As far as value I think you're looking at a 1k repair bill on a 1k watch.
MonBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2011, 06:24 PM   #11
aliasneo07
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonBK View Post
As far as value I think you're looking at a 1k repair bill on a 1k watch.
Yikes, 1K repair on a watch worth 1k? Well, I think ill do it just cause it was my grandpa's and I'd like to wear it. Where might be a good place to send it, and what should I ask to have done? Just fix it cosmetically, or is it important to have the internals checked out on such an old watch?

As for the band, I'd really like to keep the same one, but its just too small. Maybe I can find a new one that looks the same?

Thanks again.
Old 12 August 2011, 06:33 PM   #12
SkyKing31
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tridor Masterpiece
Quote:
Yikes, 1K repair on a watch worth 1k? Well, I think ill do it just cause it was my grandpa's and I'd like to wear it. Where might be a good place to send it, and what should I ask to have done? Just fix it cosmetically, or is it important to have the internals checked out on such an old watch?

As for the band, I'd really like to keep the same one, but its just too small. Maybe I can find a new one that looks the same?

Thanks again.
I would send it to Rolex Watch USA in New York
SkyKing31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2011, 06:35 PM   #13
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Well I would say its from very late 1950s very early/mid 1960s those riveted oyster bracelets now are quite rare and valuable to many collectors.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2011, 07:06 PM   #14
ElPrimero
Banned

Watch: DSSD
Welcome to the forum. Hope you manage to get the info you require.

ElPrimero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2011, 07:23 PM   #15
expy2
"TRF" Member

For what it's worth, I think the watch is lovely. I would love to have something like that from my grandfather! I think if it was a 2k repair on a 1k watch it would be worth every penny. Man, if that thing could talk I bet it would have some fantastic stories about your grandfather! Enjoy.
expy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2011, 08:53 PM   #16
crowncollection
"TRF" Member

Hi it's not particularly valuable in money terms but it priceless to you I think, about 1k to repair I think, send it to bob Ridley everyone in thuis forum swears by his work not to rolex IMHO you will get more for your money done. As for repairing the band classic watch parts are the best at repairing bands.
Old 12 August 2011, 09:42 PM   #17
buke45
Banned

Watch: Your Butt
It's worth doing it depending on the relationship you had with your grandpa.Ggood luck!!
buke45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2011, 10:14 PM   #18
aliasneo07
"TRF" Member

Definitely worth it to me to repair it. If Bob Ridley is what you guys swear by, I will try it out. Thanks a lot!
Old 12 August 2011, 11:08 PM   #19
slcbbrown
"TRF" Member

Watch: 50's TT t-bird
maybe not so expensive

Quote:

Thanks again.
There is a good chance that Rolex won't work on this watch. Watches over 30 years old often don't have parts readily available at RSC. This watch could be easily serviced by lots of watch tech's all over the country, though. If the watch is in decent shape inside, the cost could be $400. If you find a good watch guy, he can polish this thing up till it looks new.

As to the bracelet, don't throw it away cuz it may have value to a collector. You should be able to find a decent used Rolex bracelet that will fit for not too much money, and a very nice strap can be had for less than $100 (way less if you aren't after exotic skins).

If you like the watch, it's worth spending some money on. If it isn't wrecked inside, it could last you for 50 years, and everyday you'll have a Rolex and a family keepsake on your wrist.
slcbbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2011, 11:13 PM   #20
aliasneo07
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oyster1982 View Post
Take off the band at the 6 o clock position and get the serial number, that should tell you how old it is. Than you can take the band off at the 12 o clock position to get the model number.
Took off the band at the 6 o clock position, there are no numbers that I can see. Slightly concerned.
Old 13 August 2011, 01:25 AM   #21
Gugnunc
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5500 Exp & 114270
If the bracelet hasn't been off the watch for years then there is probably a horrible layer of krud masking the serial no. Use a tissue moistened with alcohol to remove this and reveal the no. which is diamond cut and very fine - you should try tilting the watch to catch the light to read it. If it is a Rolex it will be there.
Gugnunc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2011, 01:30 AM   #22
drockadam
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pepsi.
Quote:

Looks like a great watch! Looks 100% authentic to me. A little cleaning and polishing to it, and it'd look great!!! Your grandfather passed away on my birthday, sorry to hear that. So it was a few months ago?
Old 13 August 2011, 01:50 AM   #23
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Took off the band at the 6 o clock position, there are no numbers that I can see. Slightly concerned.
No real reason to be concerned.. older watches usually have the numbers worn because of the way the bracelet end-links scrape if it's not kept in good repair..

It's possible to fix the bracelet up, but it is very difficult to add links to get it to fit you.. A new Rolex bracelet is about 800 bucks for that watch and Rolex is the only source.. If you choose to send it to them, they will keep the bracelet so it's best to take it off before sending it in..

To service the watch, which includes a new crystal, complete cleaning and oiling of the movement (which it needs) and refinishing the case is likely around 550 bucks.. An alternative to Rolex (who may not have parts to service an older model) is Mr. Bob Ridley in Dallas at www.watchmakers.com , a highly respect Rolex restoration watchmaker in the community.. I recommend you give him a call..

My personal opinion is that it be restored by Mr. Ridley who will not replace the dial or hands (which is where any value is) and that you pay what it costs.. An heirloom like this is once in a lifetime and if you don't do it, who will ??
Old 13 August 2011, 04:31 AM   #24
landroverking
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by buke45 View Post
It's worth doing it depending on the relationship you had with your grandpa.Ggood luck!!
I am sure it was great. Can't remember the year he passed on.
My Opa died in 1959 & I still remember the date.
landroverking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2011, 05:09 AM   #25
Nicko
Banned

You guys are priceless, everything's a scam and everybody is scamming? Unbelievable.

FWIW, Sorry about you grandfather and sorry about this kind of welcome.

Quote:

Wow!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalk7 View Post
My thoughts exactly
Nicko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2011, 06:35 AM   #26
acce1999
"TRF" Member

Neo (?),

Welcome to the forum!

It looks like you have a Rolex ref 6426, and given the dial and hands I'd say that it is from the mid 60s or later. If you can make out the serial number it will be possible to tell more. The watch should have the manual wind caliber 1210, which is an easy to service movent if you do not need to replace parts. Bob Ridley could be the man for you. The bracelet is possible to restore, but I suggest that you try to get hold of a more modern and solid ref 78350. End links should be 571 (but I might remember incorrectly here). An option is to use a leather strap.

All in all a service and a new bracelet will cost more than the current value of the watch, but as others have said it is well worth to fix it. Continue to service it, and it will continue to offer good service for the next 40 years or more.

Spend some time with google, searching on ROLEX 6426.

Good luck!

Best,

A
acce1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2011, 06:35 AM   #27
Widows Son
"TRF" Member

That's a beautiful watch with history. Have it restored by someone familiar with vintage Rolexes and pass it on to your son or daughter someday. FWIW I've spent 2x what a watch may be worth having it restored if it were an heirloom.
Widows Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2011, 07:50 AM   #28
vukotab
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing movies!
That is a beautiful watch, definitely genuine, and well worth servicing.
Good luck and don`t forget to post some pics when the job is done.

Good luck and welcome to TRF!
vukotab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2015, 01:23 AM   #29
aliasneo07
"TRF" Member

Hey guys. Well, it is four years later and I am finally willing to part with enough money to have this thing restored. It has been sitting in my safe. I admire it from time to time just based on its history, but I'd like it around my wrist sometimes.

Is Bob Ridley still the man for the job? It's been a few years since I asked.

Also, I'd like to get a leather strap for it. How can I tell what size leather strap it uses?

And does Mr. Ridley restore bracelets or just watches? I'd like the bracelet restored even though I probably will not use it, but a cheaper brown leather strap instead.

Thanks everybody :-)
Old 26 September 2015, 04:17 AM   #30
mfer
"TRF" Member

google abc watchwerks. Send them an email with pics and they'll give you some advice.
member#3242
mfer is offline   Reply With Quote