Old 13 January 2011, 05:43 AM   #32
Buschy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
green
Old 17 January 2011, 01:30 AM   #33
seadweller_ds
"TRF" Member

Black, if this your first Sub...............
Old 19 January 2011, 09:50 AM   #34
GEO_79
"TRF" Member

Watch: 216570 Polar
green;because is nice and different
Old 25 January 2011, 02:52 AM   #35
Matt18

I am in the same boat....I have a black Aquaracer, which I like, and cant see getting the black sub cause of that. I located a discontinued 16610LV at an AD which I believe to be the last one in the area. Going to look today!!! :)
Old 25 January 2011, 03:12 AM   #36
witch watch
"TRF" Member

Watch: Milgauss GV
Tough one this one. Black as has been said it will go with everything and can be easily dressed down as up, however the green is much more eyecatching and i'd be willing to bet that it will not only feel more special but it will also have many admirers starting conversations with you which is always good in social events :)
Old 25 January 2011, 03:16 AM   #37
Philipp777
"TRF" Member

Green)))

N 1!!!
Old 27 January 2011, 07:44 AM   #38
skarama
"TRF" Member

To me, the new black sub is not as nice as the old one. However, the newly released green one is superb ('in the flesh', the green darker and much richer than suggested from the pictures we generally see) and beats both the older and ceramic black sub.

While being an eye catcher, the green one remains sober.

Only my opinion.
Old 28 January 2011, 12:04 AM   #39
Buschy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
again, green haha.
I still wear my green every day, everywhere. I was concerned about it going with everything since I only have two watches now and planned to wear this one daily.. so far its great. and it goes with everything so far.
Old 28 January 2011, 11:49 AM   #40
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani View Post
Watches sing?
Quote:
Originally Posted by esm View Post
Apparently they smile at you too....
Yes they do, haven't you heard?

Time is on my side, yes it is.

Time, Time, Time is on my side yes it is.

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 28 January 2011, 04:04 PM   #41
skyedog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing TRF
Get the GREEN one ! and will be hard to not get your second Rolex after you own one =) then you can think about the Black one or the GMT c.
Old 7 February 2011, 06:47 AM   #42
z0mghenry
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amvd View Post
hello
I'm new to this forum, I am planning to buy my first rolex as a prize to get my degree in architecture next year.
my choice is submariner, but I have not decided whether black or green, and explained why: this is probably my only Rolex in my life, the dilemma is: buy a classic as the black sub, or something more outstanding and captor of looks like Green sub.
thank you very much for your advice.
My advice is to go with the one YOU like. Since this is commemorating something important in your life, you should buy the one that is most meaningful to you, the one that will make you smile every time you look at your wrist
Old 12 February 2011, 11:50 PM   #43
specbowers
"TRF" Member

i like black
Old 12 February 2011, 11:53 PM   #44
Explorer 2011
"TRF" Member

Watch: Searching
Black!
Old 13 February 2011, 01:44 AM   #45
jraz

If you are planning to have thi for life and it may be your only Rolex( which I doubt) go Black!!
Old 18 February 2011, 05:43 PM   #46
Runnin' Rebel
"TRF" Member

The green on green blew me away, I like the black, but the green had that look like no one else has it, and I really haven't seen green at all, lots of black though. Anf the green had this sheen to it, couldn't take my eyes off it.

Of course I have a GMT black, but the green.......................................WOW !!

Last edited by Runnin' Rebel; 18 February 2011 at 05:45 PM.. Reason: add more info
Old 17 March 2011, 09:13 AM   #47
Ultrawatches

Watch: Datejust II S/S
True Black is a classic but since Rolex made the Green Ceramic Bezel looks alot better than the Black one. So i would go with Green.
Old 30 March 2011, 01:38 AM   #48
huwge
"TRF" Member

Today, I thought I was going to buy the LV, but in the flesh it is very different to the pictures and as much as I wanted to like it, I really didn't. From memory, the 50th anniversary model was nicer and the colour better suited the lunette.

I walked out with a new LN because I just couldn't pay more for a red Sub as I just didn't feel confident enough that I really knew what I was getting. That said, the red Sub looked lovely on my wrist.
Old 1 April 2011, 01:24 AM   #49
Expatbob
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LV
I've been flirting with the 116610LN for weeks now... I'd previously dismissed the LV without much consideration, but today I had popped into an AD to try it on one final(ish) time (hell, you've got to be sure when you're spending that much money, so hopefully ADs are well trained in the art of patience and nurturing a sale!). Anyway, out of curiosity I decided to try on the LV, and before I knew it, I was spending far more time admiring this one in the mirror, with the LN getting increasingly less attention. The more I tried it on, the more I grew to thinking I was starting to change my mind on which one I was going to buy... I'm now 75/25 going to get the LV...

This is despite knowing that whichever one I buy, it will be my every day watch - and that's what's my slight concern, as has been pointed out many times above - day to day watch, get the black; weekend, get the LV... I just liked the LV a lot more in the flesh and on the wrist. The LV was cooler, more unique, more striking, more individual, and ultimately, you're going to see a lot less of them around.

I thought it went as well with jeans as it would with a suit. My only real concern is whether in 3 years I'll feel the same way... Does that mean I'll possibly buy another watch when the novelty wears off, or sell it? Can't say, but that's my only concern...

I worry that my head says get the LN, but I'll always wonder if I shouldn't have gone out on a limb and bought the one I fancied more across the dance floor!

Decisions, decisions...
Old 1 April 2011, 03:47 PM   #50
moby33
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Omega/Seiko
Quote:
Originally Posted by huwge View Post
I just couldn't pay more for a red Sub as I just didn't feel confident enough that I really knew what I was getting. That said, the red Sub looked lovely on my wrist.
Old 1 April 2011, 03:58 PM   #51
moby33
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expatbob View Post
I've been flirting with the 116610LN for weeks now... I'd previously dismissed the LV without much consideration, but today I had popped into an AD to try it on one final(ish) time (hell, you've got to be sure when you're spending that much money, so hopefully ADs are well trained in the art of patience and nurturing a sale!). Anyway, out of curiosity I decided to try on the LV, and before I knew it, I was spending far more time admiring this one in the mirror, with the LN getting increasingly less attention. The more I tried it on, the more I grew to thinking I was starting to change my mind on which one I was going to buy... I'm now 75/25 going to get the LV...

This is despite knowing that whichever one I buy, it will be my every day watch - and that's what's my slight concern, as has been pointed out many times above - day to day watch, get the black; weekend, get the LV... I just liked the LV a lot more in the flesh and on the wrist. The LV was cooler, more unique, more striking, more individual, and ultimately, you're going to see a lot less of them around.

I thought it went as well with jeans as it would with a suit. My only real concern is whether in 3 years I'll feel the same way... Does that mean I'll possibly buy another watch when the novelty wears off, or sell it? Can't say, but that's my only concern...

I worry that my head says get the LN, but I'll always wonder if I shouldn't have gone out on a limb and bought the one I fancied more across the dance floor!

Decisions, decisions...
Be careful...be very careful. I thought this exactly when I bought a LV years ago (metal insert obviously). Loved it at first and thought, "Hell...I can easily wear this everyday." But the more I wore it, the louder that little voice in my head said, "Wouldn't it be nice to have a black version with this or that..." That voice got so loud I had to finally buy a black insert and swap it out.

That lasted for a while before I started to think, "Man, I've got an LV and it doesn't even look like an LV...if I'm going to sport a black bezel, I might as well stop pretending and just get a LN." I ended up flipping my LV for a LN and couldn't be happier.

Then the DSSD came out, LN went away for the DSSD and I was set...until...the new Sub-C came out. Needless to say I didn't want to want this watch, but in due time I did.

Long story long, I purchased a Sub-C LN and couldn't be happier...out of all the watches in my collection, absolutely ZERO doubt this is THE one watch that can do it all. All future trips I'll only be sporting my Sub-C LN as it really can do everything I need & I'm never thinking, "Does this watch really go with this occasion?" Good luck w/ your decision...I don't envy your position.
Old 2 April 2011, 06:17 PM   #52
citytime_kc
Banned

Watch: Rolex
Rolex 116610LN is better 116610LV .THE DIAL MORE EASY TO SAW.........
Old 2 April 2011, 06:47 PM   #53
esm
"TRF" Member

Watch: this, bro...
Quote:
Originally Posted by citytime_kc View Post
Rolex 116610LN is better 116610LV .THE DIAL MORE EASY TO SAW.........
Really? You have tried both at the same time?
Old 3 April 2011, 01:36 AM   #54
Expatbob
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moby33 View Post
Be careful...be very careful. Good luck w/ your decision...I don't envy your position.
For every 10 people who say on the forum that they love the LV, they'll always be someone who hates it (not talking about you!), and can't stomach the idea of a green dial. The decision as to which watch you buy is entirely the purchaser's, but I love to hear everyone's opinions whilst I'm making my mind up.

I do really want to get the LV - my serious watch owning friends would get the LV if they were choosing between the two. The only solution is to continue to bug the hell out of the local ADs (thankfully there are loads in Shanghai, and at a 40% markup, I cant believe they seriously think that anyone would actually buy it here, rather than Hong Kong, so I won't feel too guilty - gives them something to do!)...

On the plus side, I'm sure it has strong residuals, so worse case can sell it, or if feeling more indulgent, something else will come along and the LV will be relegated to the one offs and special occasions it perhaps more lends itself too.

I also can't see myself ever thinking does it go with this - I've tried it on with jeans and t shirt, as well as suit and tie, and thought it looked stunning with both...

Am sure when I make my decision, it will be the right one - and vacillating and debating the pros and cons with forum members is half the fun - I've been thinking about the new sub for ages now - it's just the LV has unexpectedly come from behind to take the lead!

Cheers for Sharing your thoughts and experiences though - appreciated.

Decisions... Decisions...
Old 3 April 2011, 03:26 AM   #55
Jaydanmoon
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Green 2010 Sub
Go Green

Hey, as much as I love the Subs, after a while I just get overwhelmed with bordem looking at them! The Green solves this problem for me, hence I just bought one! The Green is such a nice colour, & looks so different in different dependent on the light, so you never have the same watch! It also makes a statement, "i,m not only into quality & class, but i,m adventurous"! Just before I bought mine, (I wasn,t planning on buying one at this stage) I saw a guy standing wwearing the black Sub, very nice I thought, but more of the same.... Go with the green!
Old 3 April 2011, 03:53 AM   #56
moby33
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I do really want to get the LV
And there's your final answer. No doubt you've got the LV bug...so go for it and don't look back. In the end, even if it doesn't work out in the long run, you'll always be thinking, "What if..." if you didn't try it; the only way to solve that is via a purchase (trust me, I've been there before w/ many a watch...some I grow to love even more, others I don't). Good luck!
Old 3 April 2011, 07:06 PM   #57
Expatbob
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydanmoon View Post
The Green is such a nice colour, & looks so different in different dependent on the light, so you never have the same watch! It also makes a statement, "i,m not only into quality & class, but i,m adventurous"! Just before I bought mine, (I wasn,t planning on buying one at this stage) I saw a guy standing wwearing the black Sub, very nice I thought, but more of the same.... Go with the green!
Quote:
Originally Posted by moby33 View Post
And there's your final answer. No doubt you've got the LV bug...so go for it and don't look back. In the end, even if it doesn't work out in the long run, you'll always be thinking, "What if..." if you didn't try it; Good luck!
Cheers guys! As i said before, love hearing others' feedback. I'll take my wife in to have a look tomorrow - she knows I like the LV, but still value her opinion. I've only tried the LV on once, so need to check there was definitely more to it - it wasn't just a one night stand!

I know the LN is a classic, and I could wear it every day for years, but will I think it's as cool, when I see 2 other people wearing them in the same meeting? Or equally, will I feel daft wearing a "green" watch at the same meeting - this I seriously doubt, but I'm sure every potential LV buyer occasionally wonders about this... Still, my view is that it's all about confidence anyway, and it's obviously not for everyone, and totally respect anyone who prefers the LN - hell, I can't 100% guarantee I won't decide on the day that I want the LN!

Can I ask whether the dial changes colour as much throughout the day in different lighting conditions? Does the blackness only come through in bright environments - I've only seen it in a showroom.

Would love to see any other pictures as well! The pictures on Rolex website really don't do it justice!
Old 7 April 2011, 11:02 AM   #58
BlackRock
"TRF" Member

Watch: 11610LV
Loving the Green while the 56 Black rests a bit more ! They all rock !
Old 7 April 2011, 11:53 AM   #59
Expatbob
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Cheers guys! As i said before, love hearing others' feedback. I'll take my wife in to have a look tomorrow - she knows I like the LV, but still value her opinion. I've only tried the LV on once, so need to check there was definitely more to it - it wasn't just a one night stand!
I went for the LV!!! Couldn't not after all that flirting!! Even my wife preferred it..

Picking it up over the weekend!
Old 8 April 2011, 06:23 AM   #60
Morax
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
LN just match with everything ,-)
Closed Thread