ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 5 January 2012, 08:32 AM   #61
masterserg
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subexplorer View Post
Hello Masterserg!
That´s not an stupid question, but an interesting one to make.

I guess that, as long as any piece of equipment is not contained in a waterproof case, and it is not submerged in any liquid (e.g. sea water), any device can be taken inside of the chamber, because internal pressure is raised in the chamber, but this pressure is increased in same level outside the device (I Pad) and inside the I Pad as well.

You can even take a non-waterproof watch, inside the chamber, and as long as it has a vent (e.g. the crown stem hole) which can alow pressure to build inside case, and then when the chamber is raised and pressure lowered, to vent pressure inside case again, the pressures will be equalized, and the I Pad and the non-waterproof watch will suffer no damages.

Aquanaut will surely confirm my guess.
Cordial regards, Abel.
Thanks Abel! Good answer. Sounds similar to pressurizing an airplane cabin I guess. Let's wait for Aquanaut or another knowledgeable member.
Old 5 January 2012, 09:27 AM   #62
JohnEaton
"TRF" Member

Watch: Red1680 metres 1st
Wondering what mix you are breathing? Only He2 penetrates the watch under normal circumstances, when you opened the crown you let mix in at 188psi over ambient if the watch equalized. Don't know exactly how the DSSD He2 relief 'burps' but I suggest you leave the crown unscrewed during deco unless someone here is absolutely sure the He2 escape valve burps all gases.

A trick played on the newbies in chamber air bounce dive to 200+ was tell them their time was wrong, they were narc'ed somewhat and would usually comply and reset the watch; often their crystal would blow right off while surfacing. Certainly don't want that to happen to your DSSD!

Best,

A fellow diver
Old 5 January 2012, 09:53 AM   #63
masterserg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnEaton View Post
Wondering what mix you are breathing? Only He2 penetrates the watch under normal circumstances, when you opened the crown you let mix in at 188psi over ambient if the watch equalized. Don't know exactly how the DSSD He2 relief 'burps' but I suggest you leave the crown unscrewed during deco unless someone here is absolutely sure the He2 escape valve burps all gases.

A trick played on the newbies in chamber air bounce dive to 200+ was tell them their time was wrong, they were narc'ed somewhat and would usually comply and reset the watch; often their crystal would blow right off while surfacing. Certainly don't want that to happen to your DSSD!

Best,

A fellow diver
I guess this answers my question about the ipad and is consistent with Abel's post ... the ipad is equalizing.

Love this thread!
Old 5 January 2012, 01:00 PM   #64
JohnEaton
"TRF" Member

Watch: Red1680 metres 1st
Quote:
Originally Posted by masterserg View Post
I guess this answers my question about the ipad and is consistent with Abel's post ... the ipad is equalizing.

Love this thread!
Agreed MSG As long as internal and external pressures are equalized there usually is not an issue. As the pressure of air increases it's density also increases (air at depth becomes 'syrupy' and we're talking 13 atmospheres over ambient here, replacing N2 with He2 does lessen this effect.)

In mechanical watches I would assume the increased drag could slow the balance especially when we talking about a 28,800 movement such as 3135's.

In other equipment (such as ipad) if there is some small sub-unit that is unable to vent (on-gas/off-gas) and the pressure exceeds it's yield strength, that sub-unit (a capacitor, sealed battery, display unit) would fail perhaps causing failure of the whole system.
Old 6 January 2012, 01:02 PM   #65
masterserg
"TRF" Member

^^^ i was thinking about old sub movies and those tiefenmessers blowing up when dropping rapidly...
Old 24 April 2012, 08:06 AM   #66
aquanaut
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea-Dweller
Hello there, in saturation at the moment and a bit bored so was going over my old threads. Did not realise so many questions had been posted after i put up photos!
In answer to some, yes the ipad screens do work on deco but as u get shallower little helium bubbles appear in it! Same as itouch sony psp etc. The mixture normally we breath is 98% helium 2% o2! The deepsea is fine, wearing it now! Adjusted the time with no probs! Lol! Do not usually unscrew crown in deco HEV is good enough. Apologies for resurrcting an old thread and for ot answering the questions sooner. Current storage depth 85m, seabed depth 94m, cheers
2020 Rolex SD43 Sea-Dweller
2022 Rolex Datejust 41 - Blue Dial, Fluted, Oyster
aquanaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2012, 08:26 AM   #67
DoxaDavid
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquanaut View Post
Hello there, in saturation at the moment and a bit bored so was going over my old threads. Did not realise so many questions had been posted after i put up photos!
In answer to some, yes the ipad screens do work on deco but as u get shallower little helium bubbles appear in it! Same as itouch sony psp etc. The mixture normally we breath is 98% helium 2% o2! The deepsea is fine, wearing it now! Adjusted the time with no probs! Lol! Do not usually unscrew crown in deco HEV is good enough. Apologies for resurrcting an old thread and for ot answering the questions sooner. Current storage depth 85m, seabed depth 94m, cheers
Hi Si,

Glad you resurrected your post because I missed it the first time. Very cool what you are doing. I am a recreational diver and can't imagine doing the kind of stuff you do. I was getting claustrophobic just thinking about living for 4 weeks in that little decon chamber.. Ewwhh!

Stay safe!

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues. " Abraham Lincoln 1809-1865
DoxaDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2012, 08:56 AM   #68
reddog4063
"TRF" Member

only on TRF do people post from 400 feet under the ocean lol
reddog4063 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2012, 09:07 AM   #69
Megalobyte
"TRF" Member

Watch: ...me go broke
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddog4063 View Post
Very few, most are afraid to wear a Sub in the rain. :) I know I am.

I'm ashamed to admit, my Sub C has only seen the 6 foot depth of my pool. But, I made sure I was in the deep end, I'm not a wuss! :)
Megalobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2012, 08:09 PM   #70
buddy13
"TRF" Member

Watch: Orient star 300m
Managed to find the MOST cool thread on TRF ever ...

Now on to some answers:

- The crown was being sucked back into the watch as the internal pressure was less than the external. This shows that the watch is tight (water/air proof) and it is perfectly normal.

- No matter how much gas (be it He, O2, N etc...) is then allowed inside the watch (by say unscrewing the crown) it will be expelled from the HRV (which does NOT expel only Helium, but any gas that happens to be inside the watch).

- Once the internal pressure inside the case is higher than the external (say during deco) by an appreciable degree, the valve will be deployed by this same differential pressure and all will be perfectly fine again.

I am just a common diver so have no use for HRVs etc. Still I'm sure that I'd reach for my 7c46 powered Seiko if I ever were to do Sat diving ..but I am sure the DSSD is quite capable ...

Well done again aquanaut ....
buddy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2012, 08:43 PM   #71
Puffy
"TRF" Member

very cool thread indeed....
Old 17 July 2012, 09:14 PM   #72
ncstate1201
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by medic103 View Post
I'd kill for 4 weeks with no kids, no wife, no dog, and getting paid for it.

Really cool thread! My DeepSea is jealous of yours.

hahah x2 3 month old at home
ncstate1201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2012, 10:44 PM   #73
jfestrelabr
"TRF" Member

Watch: ALL rolex models
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddog4063 View Post
jfestrelabr is offline   Reply With Quote