The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > Buyers/Sellers "Who's Who" ?!?!

Old 18 January 2015, 09:01 AM   #61
MonBK
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannyv11 View Post
A lot of the trusted sellers have more than 500k in inventory. If I was spending that much money with an ad I would want a substantial discount lets say 25 percent on stainless steel models. They sell it to people on the forum at 10-15 percent off and they make 10-15 percent. How is that difficult to understand. Watches come from an ad with the warranty. Seems pretty simple
It is simple, some just don't get it.
MonBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2015, 10:27 AM   #62
mannyv11
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD,Sub,GMT,Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonBK View Post
I never knew high school economics was so hard lol
mannyv11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2015, 10:31 AM   #63
Rags
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16233,16610,214270
I've bought 5 watches here since I've joined the forum from Tony Geha-Justrolexes. I don't need the fancy AD experience. One phone call in the morning & Tony ships it out in the afternoon & I'm wearing it the next day. Now that's what I call service. I'll take the discount every time over the AD experience.

114300 Oyster Perpetual
76200 Tudor Date+Day
Rags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2015, 11:27 AM   #64
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Once again there is a lot of misinformation when the answer is really simple mathematics.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2015, 03:00 PM   #65
Sublover2166
Banned

Watch: Ol'Bluesy & Hulk
Quote:
That's fine. Let them support their local AD and pay Rolex MSRP plus sales tax and very little to no discount. Some folks are just born skeptics.
Sublover2166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2015, 04:41 PM   #66
drakulie
"TRF" Member

I purchased my Sumariner from an AD. After a few weeks I noticed it would gain lots of time only when worn. When it was sitting on my night table, it ran perfect. Took it to the AD, they ran tests on it, and found that it was running dead on. I explained it only gained time when I was wearing it, and wanted to return/exchange it. They said, no problem, ordered me a brand new watch and exchanged it, no questions.

I doubt a trusted seller here will do the same.

I also receieved a few years of extended warranty (full warranty coverage).

In my expereince, the "extra" money spent is well worth my peace of mind.
drakulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2015, 05:20 PM   #67
Anthon
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
Quote:
Originally Posted by directioneng View Post
Once again there is a lot of misinformation when the answer is really simple mathematics.
Could you sum it up then?
In my mind (and that is from reading this forum) it is still:

AD= Rolex-->Switzerland--->watch--->boat--->AD
TS= TS<---?<---?(Thailand?local AD?Hong Kong?Rome?)<--AD<---boat<---Switzerland<---Rolex

Again, no disrespect to Trusted Sellers, it is just still very vague.
Anthon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2015, 06:15 PM   #68
MonBK
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthon View Post
Could you sum it up then?
In my mind (and that is from reading this forum) it is still:

AD= Rolex-->Switzerland--->watch--->boat--->AD
TS= TS<---?<---?(Thailand?local AD?Hong Kong?Rome?)<--AD<---boat<---Switzerland<---Rolex

Again, no disrespect to Trusted Sellers, it is just still very vague.
Sum it up, sure.

It's actually much easier then your fancy graphics above.

AD = $9,475

TS = $8,100
Old 18 January 2015, 07:37 PM   #69
Anthon
"TRF" Member

Again no clear cut answer, when I spend thid ammount of money O'd like a clear cut answer...
Old 18 January 2015, 07:46 PM   #70
MonBK
Banned

Quote:
Again no clear cut answer, when I spend thid ammount of money O'd like a clear cut answer...
Somehow I knew you'd say that.
Old 18 January 2015, 10:02 PM   #71
Anthon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Somehow I knew you'd say that.
Maybe because it makes sense to ask questions before handing over hard earned cash? Look alone at this thread...at least ten different, sometimes contradicting, sometimes illogical, sometimes wishful thinking and sometimes beligerent and condescending answers to a very simple question. Why is that?

I am relatively new to the brand, the more reason I would appreciate a straight answer in stead of wading through a different and contradicting ones. But hey, maybe there are no straight answers, and that is fine as well. But in that case for me that is a reason to go to an AD again. Others may be happy to trust trusted seller.

In the end we are all paying much more anyway than we should!
Old 18 January 2015, 11:26 PM   #72
ajg1960
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ / ND Sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by drakulie View Post
I purchased my Sumariner from an AD. After a few weeks I noticed it would gain lots of time only when worn. When it was sitting on my night table, it ran perfect. Took it to the AD, they ran tests on it, and found that it was running dead on. I explained it only gained time when I was wearing it, and wanted to return/exchange it. They said, no problem, ordered me a brand new watch and exchanged it, no questions.

I doubt a trusted seller here will do the same.

I also receieved a few years of extended warranty (full warranty coverage).

In my expereince, the "extra" money spent is well worth my peace of mind.
I'm sorry you had this difficulty with your watch, but I think its fair to say this type of problem is rare. If I bought that same watch from a Trusted Seller, and had that issue, and for any reason it would not be covered by warranty, I guess I would pay for service--with a portion of the savings I didn't pay to the AD in the first place.
ajg1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2015, 11:57 PM   #73
chris975d
"TRF" Member

It seems in reading through these posts that the overwhelming opinion of everyone here is that if you buy through an AD, you're automatically paying MSRP/overpaying? Can one not buy through an AD and still get the best deal? I've only bought through my AD, who is also a good friend of mine, and I've always gotten a better deal than any of the trusted sellers here can offer. Granted, that's definitely not the norm, but it can be done. Not everyone buying at an AD is paying retail.
chris975d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2015, 12:42 AM   #74
elkaholic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
I have to agree that the AD experience, for me, is not necessary. The AD's in my area consistently over price pre-owned watches and I've yet to have even one of them offer enough money off MSRP on a new model so that with sales tax, it'd make the same or better sense financially as a trusted seller on this forum.

I'll take my savings and put towards another piece later. I'm not giving the government ( state in this case), any more tax dollars than they already receive from me on a yearly basis.
elkaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2015, 12:57 AM   #75
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
What a bizarre thread...
Perhaps it could go under a new category "ground hog day"

The same question keeps getting asked and answered over and over again and each time its as if no one has bothered to read the previous exchange.

Old 19 January 2015, 01:55 AM   #76
Knappo 1307
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Sea Dweller
Quote:
Originally Posted by subtona View Post
What a bizarre thread...

The same question keeps getting asked and answered over and over again and each time its as if no one has bothered to read the previous exchange.

Gus, I was thinking the same thing......
Knappo 1307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2015, 10:19 AM   #77
Anthon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subtona View Post
What a bizarre thread...

Well..after almost 12000 posts, that's bound to happen
Old 19 January 2015, 04:43 PM   #78
Syed117
"TRF" Member

There are plenty of people here going on and on about building relationships with ADs. Yet they can't comprehend that the trusted sellers have relationships with those same ADs that the average person could never hope to achieve.

This really isn't a hard concept to understand. One guy goes into a store to buy a watch, maybe two, maybe five. Another guy goes in and buys fifty or a hundred. Who is going to have a better chance of getting a discount? People also don't realize that potential discounts vary by region and by store. I doubt anyone is walking into Wempe in Manhattan and getting massive discounts.

You call a trusted seller and ask for a watch. If he doesn't already have it, he contacts the ADs that he works with and gets it for a price that a random person could not get it for. That AD fills out the paperwork and that's how all these people get watches that come with everything from an AD.

Like someone said before, this really isn't that hard to understand.
Old 19 January 2015, 07:30 PM   #79
Anthon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syed117 View Post
There are plenty of people here going on and on about building relationships with ADs. Yet they can't comprehend that the trusted sellers have relationships with those same ADs that the average person could never hope to achieve.

This really isn't a hard concept to understand. One guy goes into a store to buy a watch, maybe two, maybe five. Another guy goes in and buys fifty or a hundred. Who is going to have a better chance of getting a discount? People also don't realize that potential discounts vary by region and by store. I doubt anyone is walking into Wempe in Manhattan and getting massive discounts.

You call a trusted seller and ask for a watch. If he doesn't already have it, he contacts the ADs that he works with and gets it for a price that a random person could not get it for. That AD fills out the paperwork and that's how all these people get watches that come with everything from an AD.

Like someone said before, this really isn't that hard to understand.
If you say this is the way it goes, then I believe you. But at the same time people say that these watches come from different countries.

So if I see a Sea Dweller in my AD's shop window, all I have to to do is call a trusted seller who will get that very same Sea Dweller for 1.5K less and sells is to me for 7K the next day. Is that how it really works?

And it is one thing to get a discount if they buy bulk, but how do these trusted sellers get to write out the warranty card?
Old 20 January 2015, 01:27 AM   #80
Sublover2166
Banned

Quote:
If you say this is the way it goes, then I believe you. But at the same time people say that these watches come from different countries.

So if I see a Sea Dweller in my AD's shop window, all I have to to do is call a trusted seller who will get that very same Sea Dweller for 1.5K less and sells is to me for 7K the next day. Is that how it really works?

And it is one thing to get a discount if they buy bulk, but how do these trusted sellers get to write out the warranty card?
Some watches do but I specified to my trusted seller I wanted a watch from a US dealer. And that is what he sourced me. My warranty card has the ADs name on it where it originated which I will not mention. It also has my name as the buyer on it and the date I purchased it. I bought a brand new in box Hulk and saved over 1K, a watch at all my local ADs would offer no discount and sell at 9050MSRP plus tax.
Old 20 January 2015, 03:16 AM   #81
Syed117
"TRF" Member

Quote:

The watches can absolutely come from a different country, but the chances are not likely if you're dealing with a trusted seller in the US. I don't think many trusted sellers here are having watches sent to them from other countries. Maybe for watches that are very hard to find, but not for common models. Like the person above said, you can specify that you want it from a US AD and that's where the power of the trusted seller is demonstrated.

To your question, no, the trusted seller will not get you the same exact sea dweller that you saw in the window of the AD that is closest to you. Unless of course by some coincidence your AD is the same that a trusted seller uses. That is not likely. They will get you the same model from the AD that they have a relationship with.

The trusted sellers are not writing the warranty cards. The warranty cards are being filled out by the AD that the watch is coming from. The point I am trying to get across is that you can work with a trusted seller to get you what you want, how you want it. If you want a watch from a Rolex AD with the warranty card filled out, you can get that. It shouldn't matter which AD the watch comes from.

You can go to an AD and get your watch from there. A lot of people prefer that and that is perfectly fine. Others prefers to save money by going through a trusted seller. That is fine as well. You can get a watch both ways that is legitimate and with a valid Rolex warranty card. Hundreds if not thousands of people have gone the way of the trusted seller over the course of many years. If there were problems using the trusted seller method, you would definitely read about it on a forum like this.
Syed117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2015, 04:33 AM   #82
Sanyu2011
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Sub 2 Tone
The point to remember is they might have a relation with Rolex US AD. But It is not possible for any US AD to move their inventory in to hands of trusted sellers very frequently. They might do it every now and then but not every time. Rolex regional representative will always investigate the AD records every month to whom they are selling. For example assume what happens if a Rolex headquarters in NY pretends to be a buyer on TRF and purchase a watch which is BNIB from a trusted seller with their name on the warranty.They can easily identify which AD's are pushing their inventory to the online market. What my point is Trusted sellers get their inventories from various sellers across the world , their
sellers might AD's across the world also from private sellers.
There might be a instances that truster sellers relative might own a Rolex dealership. Every now and then i'm surprised to see the BNIB Hulk, Daytona and BLNR for sale on TRF. Is there any AD who is also moving hot items like Hulk and BLNR's to trusted seller then i'm sure its only possible if one of their family relative owns the dealership can do that.
Sanyu2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2015, 10:42 AM   #83
kings4sap
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by handsfull View Post
I bought a BRAND NEW IN BOX (never worn/tried on/touched/etc,etc) Datejust from a trusted seller here. It came with my name on the BRAND NEW WARRANTY card, dated appropriately. Saved 22% from retail. Out of 4 local dealers, not one could even come CLOSE to saving 5 to 10%.

This is what is called a 'NO brainer'.
Not to mention NO SALES TAX - which is a HUGE thing here in California and in some other states. That is 9% savings right off the bat! Most of the ADs here in So Cal are silly and won't even knock off the sales tax.
kings4sap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2015, 01:54 PM   #84
RollieVerde
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublover2166 View Post
Some watches do but I specified to my trusted seller I wanted a watch from a US dealer. And that is what he sourced me. My warranty card has the ADs name on it where it originated which I will not mention. It also has my name as the buyer on it and the date I purchased it. I bought a brand new in box Hulk and saved over 1K, a watch at all my local ADs would offer no discount and sell at 9050MSRP plus tax.
Anybody can buy as many warranty cards as the want online, and put anybody's name and AD name on it. It will take you less than a minute to find them via any search engine. You know this, right? Call the AD up, whom I assume you've never visited or had any contact with, and see if they have a record of selling you the watch and if the warranty has been properly registered with Rolex in your name like the card says. If this is a legitimate transaction with an AD, why won't you mention their name? Did they supply you with a certified appraisal of the watch for insurance purposes, with your name on it? Most reputable ADs do this at no charge. The only way this would be a legitimate transaction is if the seller purchased the watch, and then sold it to you. Then it's technically used. But then the warranty card would be in the name of the person who actually purchased the watch, filled out by the AD. And how the seller managed to get at least $1000 off on the watch including tax and their own markup should be a bit curious. But you don't care, right? You got it for cheaper and that's all that matters. Personally I think it's nuts to pay over $8K for a watch without seeing it in person, trying it on, and dealing with the person who's actually selling the watch to you. But I guess saving money is more important.

I love these primary school economic arguments. The Trusted Seller buys sooo many watches from an AD that the AD sacrifices a good chunk of their margin, and Rolex (who traces the sale of every watch, so they know a Trusted Seller is buying 50 watches a month) turns a blind eye to the reselling of a product heavily discounted from a third party who is not authorized to sell their product. Makes perfect sense. Naturally, it's true: just simple economics. And we all know Rolex is absolutely desperate to unload all these damn watches. But I'm sure your sub is probably fine and you saved $1000. Am I saying these trusted sellers are evil? All I know is they are selling you a brand new watch and they are not authorized by the manufacturer to do so. Maybe Rolex needs these people to sell their products for them, because they can't sell them all through ADs. But I'm not so sure. As people on this forum like to say, "do the math."
RollieVerde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2015, 02:20 PM   #85
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knappo 1307 View Post
Gus, I was thinking the same thing......

Quote:
Well..after almost 12000 posts, that's bound to happen
Bound to happen yes but not numerous times in the same thread
Old 20 January 2015, 03:40 PM   #86
waQstar
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16760
is everybody still drunk from the New Years ?
Old 20 January 2015, 03:46 PM   #87
Syed117
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollieVerde View Post
Anybody can buy as many warranty cards as the want online, and put anybody's name and AD name on it. It will take you less than a minute to find them via any search engine. You know this, right? Call the AD up, whom I assume you've never visited or had any contact with, and see if they have a record of selling you the watch and if the warranty has been properly registered with Rolex in your name like the card says. If this is a legitimate transaction with an AD, why won't you mention their name? Did they supply you with a certified appraisal of the watch for insurance purposes, with your name on it? Most reputable ADs do this at no charge. The only way this would be a legitimate transaction is if the seller purchased the watch, and then sold it to you. Then it's technically used. But then the warranty card would be in the name of the person who actually purchased the watch, filled out by the AD. And how the seller managed to get at least $1000 off on the watch including tax and their own markup should be a bit curious. But you don't care, right? You got it for cheaper and that's all that matters. Personally I think it's nuts to pay over $8K for a watch without seeing it in person, trying it on, and dealing with the person who's actually selling the watch to you. But I guess saving money is more important.

I love these primary school economic arguments. The Trusted Seller buys sooo many watches from an AD that the AD sacrifices a good chunk of their margin, and Rolex (who traces the sale of every watch, so they know a Trusted Seller is buying 50 watches a month) turns a blind eye to the reselling of a product heavily discounted from a third party who is not authorized to sell their product. Makes perfect sense. Naturally, it's true: just simple economics. And we all know Rolex is absolutely desperate to unload all these damn watches. But I'm sure your sub is probably fine and you saved $1000. Am I saying these trusted sellers are evil? All I know is they are selling you a brand new watch and they are not authorized by the manufacturer to do so. Maybe Rolex needs these people to sell their products for them, because they can't sell them all through ADs. But I'm not so sure. As people on this forum like to say, "do the math."
Haha. I've seen some crippling insecurity on this forum, but wow.

It must really be killing you that people can buy watches in ways and for less than what you think is acceptable.

Primary school economics? Yeah, that's accurate. When you buy more, you save more. If you came to that conclusion, not sure why the rest is so hard to comprehend.
Old 20 January 2015, 04:01 PM   #88
hosam112
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syed117 View Post
Haha. I've seen some crippling insecurity on this forum, but wow.

It must really be killing you that people can buy watches in ways and for less than what you think is acceptable.

Primary school economics? Yeah, that's accurate. When you buy more, you save more. If you came to that conclusion, not sure why the rest is so hard to comprehend.
Well put Syed! Everything you said so far in this thread is exactly what I want to say. It's just that simple to understand!
hosam112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2015, 11:34 PM   #89
Sublover2166
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollieVerde View Post

Boy, with your pontification you really sound like you have an axe to grind! I don't have to defend my trusted seller purchase to you or anybody else. According to your conspiracy theory every trusted seller must be at home online ordering counterfeit warranty cards, somehow printing serial numbers on them that match the watch rehaut and filling them out with AD stamps so they look legit. And I guess my watch must certainly be counterfeit and somehow has an engraved serial number matching the warranty card. Must be one of those "high end" swiss replicas. BTW, AD cost is 62% of retail price, so on my Hulk they pay approximately $5600 and retail for $9050. So if you think an AD cannot sell the watch out the back door still for a profit and a trusted seller make his profit, do the math.

Last edited by Sublover2166; 21 January 2015 at 12:13 AM.. Reason: Edited
Old 21 January 2015, 12:20 AM   #90
RollieVerde
Banned

Wow, you guys sure showed me!

Name-calling is always a great way your make a point. Who asked you to "defend" your purchase? You really don't get the whole warranty card thing, do you? There's no way you can print stuff on a blank warranty card, and that's why these cards are not readily available 'cause nobody wants them. So be it. Oh, and extra points for mentioning "conspiracy theory." It's always a good fallback when you can't refute anything somebody said. Crippling insecurity. Yeah, that's me. How will lI ever recover from these brilliant arguments?

Here's the thing: the OP (remember that post?) asked if they're missing anything by going the trusted seller route as opposed to buying from a legitimate AD. It is made to sound by such as you as it's the exact same watch/purchase, just cheaper. It isn't. There's a reason why it's cheaper, and it has to do with where the watches come from and whether it's a smart move. You seem to think it's a perfect legitimate purchase from an AD, just brokered by a third party. That's quite doubtful given the reasons I've outlined. You seem determined to support this way of doing business because it's cheaper and that is far more important to you than insuring you're buying a watch that's on the up and up. If you're spending a fortune on an item that could be in on your wrist in and in your family for decades, you might just want to make damn sure you get what you're really paying for. My response to this thread is based on that, and I don't give a horses's arse where YOU buy your watch. If you're so desperate to save a few bucks go ahead and buy a watch sight unseen from someone who somehow obtained the watch at a discount and then resells it. The point is, these sellers are not legit Rolex dealers and you open yourself up to a lot of potential problems thanks to your quest for a deal. Used watches are a whole different matter, and a lot of these dealers are quite respectable in how they sell used pieces and back them. But new watches are different beasts.
RollieVerde is offline   Reply With Quote