The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 19 August 2020, 05:52 AM   #1
sgk
"TRF" Member

Datejust advice/questions

Hi all,
Hope you guys are all doing well.

I wanted to get your thoughts on a vintage datejust that I just acquired as I really liked the black dial with gold writing. Would this be called a gilt dial?

It looked like an honest piece to me with the cracked/displaced crystal, open 6/9 datewheel and the stretched, gunked up jubilee with ‘G’ clasp code. However, the engine turned bezel has me stumped as the case ref is 16000 with 7.5mil serial number. Does the 16000 need to strictly have a smooth bezel?

Also, I would need to find a replacement crystal; any info on the ref no. of the plexiglass I am looking for?

Here are some quick shots:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sgk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2020, 06:44 AM   #2
L.K Johnson
"TRF" Member

Cool watch! You have 16000 watch with a 16030 bezel and a 16013 non-gilt dial...pretty cool assembly. Both 160X and 160XX are sometimes “mixed up” like that cause people pick and choose parts to make the watch to their liking. To be a true 16000 it should have the smooth bezel. Here is my 16000 with a 16013 dial:

L.K Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2020, 08:02 AM   #3
YTimepiece
"TRF" Member

Watch: Can't answer that
Beautiful piece!!
YTimepiece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2020, 02:49 PM   #4
sgk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.K Johnson View Post
Cool watch! You have 16000 watch with a 16030 bezel and a 16013 non-gilt dial...pretty cool assembly. Both 160X and 160XX are sometimes “mixed up” like that cause people pick and choose parts to make the watch to their liking. To be a true 16000 it should have the smooth bezel. Here is my 16000 with a 16013 dial:

That is a beautiful timepiece you have there yourself!

So is mixing up dials and bezels an aftersales process and is this common?
Old 19 August 2020, 03:09 PM   #5
offrdmania
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

It is my understanding that a watch with gold hands and gold hour markers should be from a two-tone watch.

It was a very common practice back in the day to swap out the dial or hands or the bezel or the crown to get the desired look that the owner wanted.
Old 19 August 2020, 03:51 PM   #6
L.K Johnson
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgk View Post
That is a beautiful timepiece you have there yourself!

So is mixing up dials and bezels an aftersales process and is this common?
Thanks and yes it’s pretty common and I don’t think AD:s at that time was very
meticulous with parts from different ref:s...if you wanted another bezel they would help you more or less...I have no proof of this but it’s just my feeling
Old 19 August 2020, 03:57 PM   #7
sgk
"TRF" Member

Thank you both for the info. I am trying to source the correct domed plexiglass for this. Would you know the part number I should search for?
Old 19 August 2020, 06:46 PM   #8
Verdi
"TRF" Member

Watch: Big Ben
It is one of the rare occasions when I say to take a vintage to RSC or Rolex authorized service. It may not make sense financially but if you want to restore it to look and work good....this is a good option.
Of course, you can go with an independent watchmaker too, some guys are able to outsource parts.

This watch looks in need of some care. I would instruct them to put the right bezel, change the plexi and service the movement.

This watch looks good on a leather strap....once its cleaned up, it is gonna look the part.
Old 19 August 2020, 09:43 PM   #9
sgk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verdi View Post
It is one of the rare occasions when I say to take a vintage to RSC or Rolex authorized service. It may not make sense financially but if you want to restore it to look and work good....this is a good option.
Of course, you can go with an independent watchmaker too, some guys are able to outsource parts.

This watch looks in need of some care. I would instruct them to put the right bezel, change the plexi and service the movement.

This watch looks good on a leather strap....once its cleaned up, it is gonna look the part.
Thanks for the advice. I actually like the looks as is especially the bezel. And if this was common practice back in the days then even better.

I will definitely have it serviced, plexi changed and jubilee cleaned. Might throw it on a strap later and use the jubilee on my GMT
Old 25 August 2020, 05:44 AM   #10
sgk
"TRF" Member

I was thinking over the engine turned bezel and gold dial/hands for the past couple of days and comparing this to vintage Omegas which I also collect. In the Omega world, a watch is quickly labeled a ‘Franken’ when it has parts that do not correspond to the case reference.

Would the same thinking apply to the datejust I bought?

p.s. found that I need crystal 25-135 for this in case someone else is looking for the info.
Old 25 August 2020, 06:04 AM   #11
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgk View Post
I was thinking over the engine turned bezel and gold dial/hands for the past couple of days and comparing this to vintage Omegas which I also collect. In the Omega world, a watch is quickly labeled a ‘Franken’ when it has parts that do not correspond to the case reference.

Would the same thinking apply to the datejust I bought?

p.s. found that I need crystal 25-135 for this in case someone else is looking for the info.
If you want to use that terminology, then I guess it fits. My take is that vintage Rolex collectors don't really care that much about DJs in general, so they don't make a big deal out of swapped parts, and the value doesn't take a huge hit. They are largely treated as decorative watches to wear instead of high-end collectible pieces.

That's why you'll get a lot of comments saying things like "parts were swapped in DJs all the time, no big deal." I guess this might change someday in the future if the value of vintage DJs goes up, and people really start to care about them as collectibles.
Old 25 August 2020, 06:33 AM   #12
L.K Johnson
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan S View Post
If you want to use that terminology, then I guess it fits. My take is that vintage Rolex collectors don't really care that much about DJs in general, so they don't make a big deal out of swapped parts, and the value doesn't take a huge hit. They are largely treated as decorative watches to wear instead of high-end collectible pieces.

That's why you'll get a lot of comments saying things like "parts were swapped in DJs all the time, no big deal." I guess this might change someday in the future if the value of vintage DJs goes up, and people really start to care about them as collectibles.
I totally agree to this! Very well put!
Old 25 August 2020, 07:06 AM   #13
Nick9
"TRF" Member

If there is a contest for "modified DateJusts", this one of mine might take it.

Started its life as a 9 mil serial Ref 16000, so around 1986. If I were betting, I'd say bezel for sure, hands, possibly dial. The bracelet has a lot of stretch, so I'd say 50:50. The date wheel appears to have made the journey.

And relentlessly polished, as well. (Not by me.)

Not at all a treasured original vintage collectible, but nevertheless a nice enough daily wearer if you like something a little on the dressy side.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (184.8 KB, 92 views)
Nick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2020, 04:39 PM   #14
sgk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan S View Post

I think you’re right.
I am new to vintage Rolex but have been a ‘watch guy’ for a long time. This means letting go some watches to acquire other pieces. To keep this expensive hobby economically viable, I would be lying if I said value retention doesn’t matter. And if the value of a datejust is strongly tied to originality, I want to be mindful of that.
Great to hear that isn’t always the case as I got mine based on aesthetics and that it had the right amount of age. And at $2900, it was fair I think.

I am really enjoying wearing it :)
Old 25 August 2020, 04:40 PM   #15
sgk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick9 View Post
If there is a contest for "modified DateJusts", this one of mine might take it.

Started its life as a 9 mil serial Ref 16000, so around 1986. If I were betting, I'd say bezel for sure, hands, possibly dial. The bracelet has a lot of stretch, so I'd say 50:50. The date wheel appears to have made the journey.

And relentlessly polished, as well. (Not by me.)

Not at all a treasured original vintage collectible, but nevertheless a nice enough daily wearer if you like something a little on the dressy side.
Looks great in my opinion and a bit more dressier than mine. Wear it in good health.
Old 26 August 2020, 03:51 AM   #16
Nick9
"TRF" Member

Thanks. I have come to appreciate that 36 mm is a nice wearable size for me, and of course the DJ "look" is classic. Best of all, you don't need a second job to afford them.
Nick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2020, 04:33 AM   #17
L.K Johnson
"TRF" Member

I really love the jubilee bracelet when it has been worn, it just gets that patina that is impossible to mimic unless you wear it in different weather conditions and thru whatever live throws at you...every scratch tells a story and that’s just fantastic...starting to tear up just thinking about it : )