The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 22 July 2017, 05:58 AM   #1
Babayega
"TRF" Member

Thoughts on possible "go-to" watchmaker

I recently entered the arena of collecting watches and thought it wise to have a trusted watchmaker I could rely on for service. After shopping around, I settled on a highly-reviewed watchmaker to bring my vintage Tudor Date-Day in for service as I had just pulled out the crown and stem when attempting to adjust the time. The quoted price was reasonable and I proceeded to contract his services.

While I was there, I asked him to give a recently purchased 80s Submariner a look over to see if I had missed anything after a few months of research. Without opening the watch, he informed me it would likely need a service soon--the details escape me at this time, but he mentioned hearing something that signaled as much. The conversation naturally progressed to how much I paid, and I gave him a ballpark figure.

He mentioned that as a dealer, he could have gotten me a much better price and called today to say he found the same 80s Submariner worn once/nearly mint in box for $3000. The online market for the watch seems to be at least double, almost 2.5x that price.

I recognize that since I'm pretty green, I could be falling for all the tricks of this natural salesman. Did I find a gem of a watchmaker and a hell-of-a-deal for an 80s sub? Is the vintage market for Submariners so inflated that it's actually worthwhile to have a local dealer/watchmaker and pay what seems to be near wholesale pricing? Or does it seem too good to be true?
Babayega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2017, 09:28 AM   #2
southtexas
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

What model and what year in the 80's? But yes, $3000 would be a very good deal regardless of those answers, if it is truly as described.

Maybe you found a great source.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Follow me on Instagram @ccrolex
southtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2017, 10:57 AM   #3
Babayega
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by southtexas View Post
What model and what year in the 80's? But yes, $3000 would be a very good deal regardless of those answers, if it is truly as described.

Maybe you found a great source.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's an 83 16800. That's my worry here, that it may not be as descibed. It may also be too good to pass up, which is justified by his stellar reviews. He seemed genuinely surprised when I told him what I paid for and what the online market is set at. I'm truly tempted to buy what he has but I wanted to reach out to the community at large that has more experience. You all have been a great resource and many so eager to help.
Babayega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2017, 11:09 PM   #4
Toronto Soup King
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1016.
Values for some stuff has gone through the roof recently. I was offered a shocking amount for an old water-damaged 1016 dial I thought useless - if your seller hasn't been selling much over the last couple of years his prices will be half normal
Toronto Soup King is offline   Reply With Quote