The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 23 July 2017, 08:28 PM   #1
catch22
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT BLNR
Ac Milan GMT - need help!!!... pls

Hi guys,

this is my first ever post.

I'm very new to collecting but have absolutely fallen in love with watches, in particular Rolex :) - would also like to thank you guys because ive been on this forum from a distance getting a little education!

I am also a die hard fan of AC Milan.

I have a buddy who sources watches an sent him a pic of a Rolex GMT red/black bezel with an ac milan logo on the dial, I believe its super rare an was never on public sale, only given to staff an players to celebrate a champions league win. I never expecting him to find it, and if he did, never expecting it to be for sale.

it turns out he has located one, but the guy who is in a different country is asking for 44k Euro.

In order to buy this watch I would need to sell my entire collection of watches and even still have put in more money.

the prob is I cannot find ANY info on this watch. how many were made, how rare it is. I have no idea what the actual value is or how I would even get to understand the value - and I was really hoping someone would be able to point me in the right direction, even if you cannot answer any of these, if you have any idea how I could get the answers or who I need to speak to I would be super appreciative.

very excited - but also super nervous due to all the uncertainty.

all comments welcome - appreciate any help!!

thanks guys
catch22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2017, 09:02 PM   #2
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

Welcome. There have been links to football clubs with other manufacturers particularly I'm thinking Franck Muller as I've seen them. I'm sure there are people her that know, more particularly some of the Italian members. The problem is that anyone can open a watch and either put a different dial in or add a logo. If it has providence ie letter, photo with AC Milan player/staff etc so much the better.
Old 23 July 2017, 09:26 PM   #3
Pangit
"TRF" Member

The Urban Gentry you tube channel mentioned these watches in a broadcast about 2 days ago. As you say these were presented to the squad and so there wouldn't be too many.
Pangit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2017, 09:29 PM   #4
Alpino
"TRF" Member

that have no particular value , except for fans like you ...

take a standard Gmt and put the logo on it, it'll be the same (not made by Rolex)
Alpino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2017, 09:36 PM   #5
AASH
"TRF" Member

Watch: LOVE
IMHO, although I love sport a lot, I wouldn't buy a timepiece for that price range just because it has my favourite team logo on the dial.

I love Rolex for its greatness, and I love seeing its logo alone on the dial.
AASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2017, 10:12 PM   #6
StevieWatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AASH View Post
IMHO, although I love sport a lot, I wouldn't buy a timepiece for that price range just because it has my favourite team logo on the dial.

I love Rolex for its greatness, and I love seeing its logo alone on the dial.
I have to agree. It's not worth spending 44k on and having to sell your entire collection. Buy yourself the proper coke bezel GMT and then head over to Milan and watch AC Milan play and have a nice trip in Italy. Plus you'll be better off
StevieWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2017, 10:16 PM   #7
Dave-B
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
I concur with the others, there's not a chance in hell I'd spend that much on a watch because it had a football team logo on the dial. Now if it was a MilSub, then that's a different matter entirely
Dave-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2017, 10:27 PM   #8
Racerdj
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Patek-Philippe
I would keep your current collection.
Old 23 July 2017, 10:30 PM   #9
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
I would just buy a nice Coke GMT and a cool Rossoneri scarf. They were incredible when they had their Dutch trio but that was a long time ago.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2017, 11:02 PM   #10
Wahlberg
"TRF" Member

I would love to see a picture of it. It's definitely not worth it though.

I know Rolex made a custom white gold Daytona for the Dutch soccer team after the 2010 World Cup (limited to 100 - every player received one and I assume the staff).

What would a watch like this go for?

Wahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2017, 02:31 AM   #11
catch22
"TRF" Member

hi guys,

thanks for the responses, seems to be a clear no (bit gutted tbh lol)

ive asked for some more details and have got a contact who deals in vintage/rare watches who will hopefully give me an understanding of value.

if you want to see a pic you can literally google image 'ac milan rolex gmt' and only one gmt shows.

the reason I'm so eager is if it was given to players, and there was only 30 made, its unlikely players will ever sell so I'm not sure ill ever get another opportunity to ever buy the watch, whereas my current watches are all replaceable - but truthfully I don't currently know anything about the watch or rarity of it. this would definitely be an emotional purchase as I fully understand it is worth more to me or another milan fan than anyone else.

got to be honest, not going to go any where near it at that price without sufficient information and a rough understanding of value. all my other watches are around the 6-10k gbp stainless rolex pieces - although I try to stick to the harder to find ones in the UK such as the D blue, BLNR, hulk, and the new anniversary sea dweller - which has always made me feel more comfortable purchasing knowing that if I ever needed to (i hope i don't) i could trade this in for same price i paid if not a small profit.

really appreciate the comments and if anyone else has any thoughts would love to hear.

cheers!
rich
Old 24 July 2017, 02:45 AM   #12
catch22
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpino View Post

that have no particular value , except for fans like you ...

take a standard Gmt and put the logo on it, it'll be the same (not made by Rolex)
i know i can do this for probably under 10k - however it is the fact that this watch is official and is a part of both milan and rolex history (poss my 2 favourite brands) that make it so appealing to me.

personally i would never tamper with a rolex - i feel like these watches are too precious to alter. same reason that instead of getting a black out rolex which i think can be unbelievably pretty - i chose to get a big bang black magic to fill that spot in my collection
Old 24 July 2017, 02:46 AM   #13
catch22
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
I would just buy a nice Coke GMT and a cool Rossoneri scarf. They were incredible when they had their Dutch trio but that was a long time ago.
ahaha - looks like that might be the new game plan!
Old 24 July 2017, 03:26 AM   #14
Alpino
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
... the fact that this watch is official and is a part of both milan and rolex history (poss my 2 favourite brands) that make it so appealing to me.

This watch is maybe part of your soccer club's history, but isn't part of Rolex history. Rolex didn't made this "special" model. A jeweller did ...
Alpino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2017, 03:39 AM   #15
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
i know i can do this for probably under 10k - however it is the fact that this watch is official and is a part of both milan and rolex history (poss my 2 favourite brands) that make it so appealing to me.

. . .
It is unlikely that this watch would be worth the price you cite. It may be worth a premium to fans as Soccer Club Memorabilia, not Rolex memorabilia. It falls into Club History, not a rare Rolex, even if it could be called "rare" it has no historical Rolex significance.

To be worth that premium, it must come with complete provenance.. Proof that it belonged to a team member and who that member was, build-information, award documentation, and documented history.

Otherwise, it's just a GMT with painted dial.
Old 24 July 2017, 04:28 AM   #16
catch22
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpino View Post
This watch is maybe part of your soccer club's history, but isn't part of Rolex history. Rolex didn't made this "special" model. A jeweller did ...
my understanding is the football clubs have these directly commissioned from rolex or other watch brands. there is no 3rd party involved. i believe Rolex also bespoke made an explorer for ac milan that was limited to around 150 pieces.

watch companies have done this many times for many different industries. as Rootbeer previously said Franck Muller worked with a club and i know JLC did also. - i have also heard that rolex custom made some pieces for wempe jewellers, and some nations such as Bahrain but will be honest and say i am not certain.

very poss I'm wrong, which is why I'm asking the question. i do not claim to know anything about the watch. i am purely intrigued. but this is my understanding and i am sure i have read on a number of occasions that watches are commissioned directly.
if you are correct and it was altered by a 3rd party then i have no real interest in the watch.

i.e.
https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=43126
http://watchcenter.ch/index.php/watc...y-100-pcs.html