The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 24 July 2017, 12:14 AM   #1
J13MEX
"TRF" Member

confirming authenticity

hey guys and girls. I hope you're well?

I am looking to purchase my first older watch (1972 Oyster Precision 6426) with the linen dial. I love the look of the watch but with no box and papers I would just like some opinions on value and of cause authenticity.

The watch is described as perfect condition, the guy a small dealer (not authorised just buys and sells Rolex) he says case has not been polished also bracelet has not. To me the bracelet looks refinished?

1) would you say we are looking at a genuine watch?
2) what would you say the watch is worth as is (no box and papers)

Many thanks

Jamie.

Any opinions appreciated.

many thanks

https://ibb.co/c4eLC5
https://ibb.co/gXASs5
https://ibb.co/ga4WKk
J13MEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2017, 12:18 AM   #2
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Quote:
Originally Posted by J13MEX View Post

I am looking to purchase my first older watch (1972 Oyster Precision 6426) with the linen dial. I love the look of the watch but with no box and papers I would just like some opinions on value and of cause authenticity.

The watch is described as perfect condition, the guy a small dealer (not authorised just buys and sells Rolex) he says case has not been polished also bracelet has not. To me the bracelet looks refinished?

Many thanks

Jamie.

many thanks
Please post photos. Without them, you won't really get any meaningful responses.
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2017, 12:32 AM   #3
J13MEX
"TRF" Member

Im struggling to do so, I can't get them to upload attached to post as too large and the photo bucket embedded ones seems to have disappeared. Please check back in a couple of minutes
Old 24 July 2017, 12:33 AM   #4
offrdmania
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

OP, Change your image hosting from Photobucket to another hosting page since photobucket pics do not show up anymore unless you pay the ridiculous yearly fee..
Old 24 July 2017, 12:36 AM   #5
J13MEX
"TRF" Member

links in original post :)

Thanks
Old 24 July 2017, 12:45 AM   #6
The moose
Banned

Here you go:

The moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2017, 12:51 AM   #7
J13MEX
"TRF" Member

Thanks a lot. :) any opinions on it?
Old 24 July 2017, 01:08 AM   #8
offrdmania

Looks ok to me. Maybe its the pictures but the bracelet looks roughly polished, too course of a brush sanding. Looks like a nice maximum of £1150 piece.
Old 24 July 2017, 01:23 AM   #9
J13MEX
"TRF" Member

Thanks for that. I agree with the bracelet. Its up for more than that, I haven't found one priced that low anywhere on the market even auction. Would I be better trying other sources?

Thanks
Old 24 July 2017, 01:28 AM   #10
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
I'd say it has charm and is a nice older piece.
Watch only and no box or papers is a shame.

As for £1150 max, that's a strange price and I've no idea where you'd get a piece like that from a dealer at that price. Considering they have overheads, plus any recon/warranty, plus VAT on margin, I'd be surprised if he is retailing it under £2,000. It would personally be £1500 of my money, but I think you'd actually struggle to get it for that.

Good luck
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2017, 01:54 AM   #11
J13MEX
"TRF" Member

Thats more along the lines Nairn :)

I was at first worried about the papers and box but at the end of the day its 45 years old. I cannot find many this age with them to be honest. I would be happy to pay for a box at a later date and a service report would be enough to make me happy and I assume others.

Its a very long drive to collect so I am thinking of transferring funds and having it couriered to me?
Old 24 July 2017, 01:58 AM   #12
offrdmania

I recently bought a late 70s 6694 at $1500US which is a date model on a newer 78350 bracelet. A much more desirable bracelet. They can be found if you look. 6426s tend to sell for less than 6694s. There are a lot of them out there. eBay is not the place to look at prices since they are a good 30-40% higher. Maybe there is a different market in the UK, but here in the US, that watch and the 6694 are everywhere. I purchased through an online dealer and didnt have to pay any tax since it was purchased from a different state than which I reside.
Old 24 July 2017, 02:00 AM   #13
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thats more along the lines Nairn :)

I was at first worried about the papers and box but at the end of the day its 45 years old. I cannot find many this age with them to be honest. I would be happy to pay for a box at a later date and a service report would be enough to make me happy and I assume others.

Its a very long drive to collect so I am thinking of transferring funds and having it couriered to me?
How far a drive are we talking?

Personally I wouldn't transfer funds without handling the watch. Instead, I'd go and see the watch and collect if happy. Possibly give a deposit subject to seeing it?

I've just picked up a GMT, it's 17 years old and described in detail. However the seller put it aside for me and I drove a 200 mile round trip.

If this is a watch you plan to cherish and keep, get it as cheap as possible, and send to Rolex for a full service. Yes, it could cost £500, but if you get it for a keen price, you've still got a beautiful watch for a few grand.

I actually just tried on a lovely old Datejust, 1976 I think with no box or papers and it was so charming. I think the dealer just got it in, so if you want details, PM me. This one has a better bracelet, is a few years newer, and being a Datejust it's a few mm larger with a date.
Old 24 July 2017, 02:15 AM   #14
mui.richard
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Many thanks

Jamie.

many thanks

https://ibb.co/c4eLC5
https://ibb.co/gXASs5
https://ibb.co/ga4WKk
Case and bracelet definitely polished/refinished. Here's how a mint/unpolished piece should look like. The case lines should be really sharp and the bracelet/lug top brushing should be very uniform.

This is from '84 and I paid USD1,500 (no box no papers) for it. I immediately had it serviced at local RSC for USD400.

If I were you OP I'd probably keep looking.

Sent from my F8132 using Tapatalk
mui.richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2017, 02:29 AM   #15
J13MEX
"TRF" Member

In the UK you would not get anything like that for that money at all. £2000 from a dealer won't even get you the one im looking at.

Maybe a trip to the US is needed lol
Old 24 July 2017, 03:57 AM   #16
mui.richard
"TRF" Member

Quote:
In the UK you would not get anything like that for that money at all. £2000 from a dealer won't even get you the one im looking at.

For what it's worth I'm located in Hong Kong. And most here are only interested in the more "iconic" Rolex pieces...Subs, Explorers, Daytonas, Datejusts....you get the picture. So the 6694 alike are really under-appreciated.

Sent from my F8132 using Tapatalk
mui.richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2017, 05:46 AM   #17
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I wouldn't get from USA due to poor exchange rate and VAT on return.

That Datejust I put a photo of up is a beauty for the money so there are some lovely watches out there for the money. Demand is pretty high for good quality used Rolex.
Old 24 July 2017, 06:57 AM   #18
J13MEX
"TRF" Member

out of curiosity Nairn, How much was the Datejust?
Old 24 July 2017, 07:02 AM   #19
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
out of curiosity Nairn, How much was the Datejust?
I'm pretty sure he said he would take £2,500 for it. May even get it a touch cheaper.
Old 24 July 2017, 08:49 AM   #20
Adambrown
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairn1980 View Post
I'm pretty sure he said he would take £2,500 for it. May even get it a touch cheaper.

Cool Datejust & like you have said in the feed anything under £2000 in the Uk just doesn't happen unless it's an awful example. Here's my Datejust 1601 from 1973 that was bought a couple of months ago with no box or papers for £2400. So your about right with that price. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Adambrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2017, 10:11 AM   #21
Haywood_Milton
"TRF" Member

Watch: Military issue Sub
It's an unremarkable, manual wind Oyster without even a date feature, and is in no great condition.

Anyone in the UK who cannot find better watches for £2,000 needs to find some new places from which to buy!

Haywood
*Comex:5513,5514,1665x2,16800x2,16600 *Mil sub:5517x2,5513x9,5512 *Submariner:6536/1x2,5508,5513 PCG u/line & double SWISS (America's Cup),5513 giltx2, 5513 m-firstx2,5513 gloss WGx2,1680 Red,1680 White Mk1 & Mk2 *Sea-Dweller:1665 DRSDx3,Great Whitex3 *GMT-Master:6542x2 (1 Bakelite),1675x8 (2 gilt), 16750 & SeaKing 116710LN *Explorer:1016x6 (1 gilt),5500x3,14270 Blackout, Orange 1655 x4 *Milgauss 1019x3 *Cosmo 6263 *RNCD DSSD 116660.
Haywood_Milton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2017, 08:43 PM   #22
CaveDweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: Timex
“The watch is described as perfect condition” = No it’s not, it’s clearly been used fairly hard

“he says case has not been polished also bracelet has not” = The crown on the clasp has been polished to buggery and back, and scratched up again after that, and I suspect ditto the watch head

I don’t normally comment on these things, as I have little to add to the conversation that needs saying, but in this instance I’ll make an exception

That particular watch needs a proper polish, a new clasp (at least) and a service – so you’re looking at around £700 to £800 on top of the purchase price to get into “perfect condition” (not “mint”)

But my biggest problem is with the sellers “deceptive” description of the watch – which puts me off the whole thing whatever the price - It just leaves a “bad taste” in the mouth.

If it was me, I’d walk away – it’s not a hard to find Rolex, the price is relatively high (even more so after a service, which I’d highly recommend for peace of mind if buying from that seller), so I’d agree that you could do a lot better if you shop around …..
CaveDweller is offline   Reply With Quote