The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

View Poll Results: Which one: Speedmaster Professional Moonwatch Hesalite or Sapphire
Hesalite 100 67.11%
Sapphire 49 32.89%
Voters: 149. You may not vote on this poll

Old 16 June 2020, 03:08 PM   #1
dberdichevsky
"TRF" Member

Watch: utalkinbout
Speedmaster Pro Hesalite or Sapphire Sandwich?

I am interested in hearing which one and why. I’m looking to add a new Speedmaster Professional Moonwatch to my collection. I know that a Speedmaster Pro with hesalite is the one that NASA approved for space flight and was worn on the moon. But the sapphire is appealing since its scratch resistant and you get to see the beautiful 1863 movement through the sapphire case back. Interested to hear what you all have to say!
dberdichevsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2020, 03:55 PM   #2
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

Hesalite, because you look at the front more than the back.
Old 16 June 2020, 07:38 PM   #3
calatravato
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5711/1a-011
I ultimately chose the Hesalite Speedy Pro because it’s true to its heritage. Also price. I beat up my watches, and the hesalite hasn’t gotten any scratches after 6 months of ownership.
Old 16 June 2020, 08:10 PM   #4
1William
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I prefer the sapphire for all the reasons you listed. I do not like plastic crystals.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2020, 08:14 PM   #5
Galaga167
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT Master 2
The condom ring around the sapphire can be an eyesore for many. Once seen it is hard to ignore.
Galaga167 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2020, 08:05 AM   #6
Bengal fan
"TRF" Member

I literally just went through this same dilemma about 3 weeks ago. I read every thread I could find on the internet about the differences. Of course the majority will say get the hesalite, but I was concerned with scratches like you since I plan to wear this watch often so I was leaning to sapphire. We only have one Omega AD in Kentucky so off I went to decide for myself. Sadly, they only had the sapphire one in stock so I couldn’t compare the two. I really liked the sapphire in person & the ring around the crystal was a none issue for me. However I wanted to at least look a the hesalite before pulling the trigger at such a large purchase. So I called another AD in Cincinnati about 1-1/2 hrs away & they had both in stock so off I went! After being able to handle the hesalite version & the sapphire side by side I fell in love with the hesalite. Which was not what I was expecting. But after trying them both on the hesalite was a bit lighter on the wrist & the domed crystal is so charming, It’s so different compared to the sapphire. I’ve had mine exactly a week today & I have no regrets. I catch myself looking at it all the time in different angels & lighting & I’m amazed how warm & vintage it looks?! I know that doesn’t make much sense:)
However I will say, don’t let my opinion or anyone else’s sway you. Look at both & decide for yourself, both are awesome in their own way!
Good luck!
Bengal fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2020, 08:18 AM   #7
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaga167 View Post
The condom ring around the sapphire can be an eyesore for many. Once seen it is hard to ignore.
Lol so true. Does the hesalite not have the same problem?
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2020, 08:20 AM   #8
Galaga167
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by macrowatch View Post
Lol so true. Does the hesalite not have the same problem?

No
Old 17 June 2020, 08:24 AM   #9
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
The hesalite is the only proper MW to get. It should be a close as possible to the version worn on the moon. That's the whole point of it.

If you want a fancy moonwatch, get one of the many upscale co-axial Speedmasters.
samson66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2020, 08:26 AM   #10
Galaga167
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengal fan View Post
I literally just went through this same dilemma about 3 weeks ago. I read every thread I could find on the internet about the differences. Of course the majority will say get the hesalite, but I was concerned with scratches like you since I plan to wear this watch often so I was leaning to sapphire. We only have one Omega AD in Kentucky so off I went to decide for myself. Sadly, they only had the sapphire one in stock so I couldn’t compare the two. I really liked the sapphire in person & the ring around the crystal was a none issue for me. However I wanted to at least look a the hesalite before pulling the trigger at such a large purchase. So I called another AD in Cincinnati about 1-1/2 hrs away & they had both in stock so off I went! After being able to handle the hesalite version & the sapphire side by side I fell in love with the hesalite. Which was not what I was expecting. But after trying them both on the hesalite was a bit lighter on the wrist & the domed crystal is so charming, It’s so different compared to the sapphire. I’ve had mine exactly a week today & I have no regrets. I catch myself looking at it all the time in different angels & lighting & I’m amazed how warm & vintage it looks?! I know that doesn’t make much sense:)
However I will say, don’t let my opinion or anyone else’s sway you. Look at both & decide for yourself, both are awesome in their own way!
Good luck!

Good story. Thanks for sharing. I agree with you completely. The hesalite rules.
Old 17 June 2020, 06:15 PM   #11
icnbne
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Omega Seiko
Plastic
I have a dozen other watches with sapphire
icnbne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2020, 10:26 PM   #12
Swearengen
"TRF" Member

Hesalite and manual wind is the way to go

1680 1675 16800 16570 16710 17000 16613 17013

Gone but not forgotten 16610LV 1016
Swearengen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2020, 11:08 PM   #13
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
If its the moonwatch, why not go with the actual moon watch, not a novelty. The moonwatch designation is a part of its history, legacy, and cool factor. The hesilite is also more in line with its true heritage, the saphire came out far far later in the evolution of the speedy and farther removed from the original.

Secondly, and most important for me, is the hesilite gives the dial a warmer look making the dial appear almost a charcoal gray tone, and appears more vintage in look to my eye.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2020, 09:34 PM   #14
alllexandru
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Good luck!

Same here, was
decided on saphire but when I put the hesalite on my wrist was boooom...and went out with hesalite

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
alllexandru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2020, 11:40 PM   #15
ratty
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas and Subs
I prefer the hesalite version.

I’ve had one for years and no scratches. I think people are too worried about things which rarely happen.

I wish they were a bit easier to wind up though, the crown guards and thin crowns don’t help with this.
ratty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2020, 07:52 AM   #16
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
I’m not going to the moon. I’m getting sapphire and it’s still a great conversational piece.

Krash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2020, 05:30 AM   #17
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Hesalite just looks so good.
Old 6 July 2020, 12:14 PM   #18
Juan Luis
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Undecided
Hesalite.
Juan Luis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2020, 01:09 PM   #19
henrylee
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN Ceramic
Hesalite gets my vote.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 2C59FC7C-CF4C-48F2-8FE8-69791973A2CF.jpeg (93.8 KB, 246 views)
Old 6 July 2020, 07:47 PM   #20
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Idiot Savant
Quote:
Good luck!
Thanks for sharing this. My sense is there are a lot of buyers who might come to the same conclusion after making the same comparison. For me, it's not about NASA flight certification (although I agree it's cool); I just dig everything about the standard Speedmaster Pro, and the plastic crystal plays a significant part.

I find durability of the plastic to be just fine. I use Polywatch ~ twice per year on it, and I'm always struck by how new and beautiful the crystal looks each time.

AEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2020, 12:32 PM   #21
orangeguy
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex 16710
Quote:
Originally Posted by alllexandru View Post
Same here, was
decided on saphire but when I put the hesalite on my wrist was boooom...and went out with hesalite

So, I thought I was dead set on the sapphire sandwich. I even was about to pull the trigger on one, sight unseen. I mean, I have other hesalite speedys, so it should have been simple. After reading this thread and the reference to the "condom ring" with the sapphire, I decided I needed to check it out in person before pulling the trigger. Holy smokes! I'm glad I checked them out in person. I couldn't get over the "halo" around the dial. It was way more pronounced than I thought it would be. So, another hesalite for me!
orangeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2020, 01:37 PM   #22
horseShu
"TRF" Member

Watch: Aqua Terra
This topic has been done to death. Please search for them, you'll get lots of exciting info.

I have a nagging suspicion that this thread is just to rouse up the eternal hesalite vs sapphire debate. If so, please give it a rest.

Look at pics, in person if you can. Get the one that you like. Peace out.

Sent from my MI PAD 4 PLUS using Tapatalk
horseShu is offline   Reply With Quote