The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 6 July 2020, 07:01 AM   #1
Fredcohiba
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ 126334
New car - that’s why we can’t have nice things!

Got a new car last week. It does not even have 400 miles on it or has gotten rained upon yet. Was out for coffee the other morning and came back to find this. No note was found either. Well, that’s what insurance is for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fredcohiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2020, 07:10 AM   #2
Boothroyd
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Wilsdorf(s)
That's disappointing. A Bears fan probably did it.
Old 6 July 2020, 07:11 AM   #3
crew
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pepsi
That sucks and would really piss me off.
The “good news”, if you can see the bright side, is that the paint is fine and the mirror can be replaced making the car good as new.
crew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2020, 07:15 AM   #4
Fredcohiba
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crew View Post
That sucks and would really piss me off.
The “good news”, if you can see the bright side, is that the paint is fine and the mirror can be replaced making the car good as new.
Yep, it’ll be good as new again I am sure. I am taking it into the dealer tomorrow first thing. The paint got scratched when the bits hit the door and probably swung around a bit but it should buff out easily enough.
Old 6 July 2020, 08:28 AM   #5
socialpro
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex || Panerai
Shucks! Way to ruin the new car ecstasy!! Hopefully not too much more then the mirror!

Will be back to new shortly I'm sure.
socialpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2020, 08:36 AM   #6
sco
"TRF" Member

Watch: Subc AT 8500 CSO
That sucks, I’d be pissed. But as they say, it’s just a car.
sco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2020, 08:39 AM   #7
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredcohiba View Post
Yep, it’ll be good as new again I am sure. I am taking it into the dealer tomorrow first thing. The paint got scratched when the bits hit the door and probably swung around a bit but it should buff out easily enough.
Likeky better off taking it to a body shop.

That’s what the dealer will do. If they have their own body shop, great. But don’t put this on insurance.

It’ll show up on carfax, and it really shouldn’t. This is a quick easy fix. If it’s on carfax, you will take a hit on reselling.

Sucks. But suck it up and move on.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2020, 08:44 AM   #8
Xenon
Banned

Had that happen on a BMW and the whole mirror housing needed replacing for $500 for the part plus labor.
Xenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2020, 08:50 AM   #9
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Sorry about that. If that’s the only damage I would pay out of pocket. The insurance companies will jack your rate to high heaven and it will stay with you for years if you switch insurance companies even if it’s not ones fault.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2020, 10:21 AM   #10
Fabrice M
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: This and that...
If you were in a parking around businesses there is probably many security cameras that may have capture the accident.
Fabrice M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2020, 10:50 AM   #11
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester01 View Post
Sorry about that. If that’s the only damage I would pay out of pocket. The insurance companies will jack your rate to high heaven and it will stay with you for years if you switch insurance companies even if it’s not ones fault.
+1. No sense in getting violated twice.
pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2020, 11:15 AM   #12
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
I’ll bet you can order the parts online for 200 and get a bottle of rubbing compound and be good as new in 2 beers time. Did so with my wife’s 328i a couple years ago.
Old 6 July 2020, 12:31 PM   #13
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Watch: spring-driven
Ouch - hopefully will be a straightforward fix. Were the mirrors folded while you were parked?
Old 6 July 2020, 12:44 PM   #14
Ny325
"TRF" Member

Watch: DW-5600BB
I would be really upset. Sorry that happened. Is it just the cover that came off? If it’s the cover, it snaps back in place. Was the mirror broken? What’s that long piece?

Looks like someone walked by, and bumped into the mirror pretty hard. Wires seem to be intact.
I always park far away from a entrance to a mall, supermarket, etc. I take care of car for some inconsiderate person to damage my vehicle. However, that doesn’t always work either. But it reduces the chances of damage to your vehicle.
Ny325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2020, 12:45 PM   #15
donk344
Banned

Painful but what doesn’t kill you makes you stronger.

donk344 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2020, 12:48 PM   #16
4vCoupe
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master 16750
Sucks that happened. Looks like it was just the outer cover. You can maybe pop it back on or if the tabs are broken just buy the cover.

4vCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2020, 12:49 PM   #17
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
I’ll bet you can order the parts online for 200 and get a bottle of rubbing compound and be good as new in 2 beers time. Did so with my wife’s 328i a couple years ago.
You handy guys are all the same ... to me it like hours of aggravation, too many beers to the point where I screw up the new part, scratch the paint and end up taking it in for the repair
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2020, 06:16 PM   #18
Speedbird-1
"TRF" Member

That's a pain!

But...that looks relatively easy to repair.
What car is it?
Hopefully just the plastic 'shell' replacement.

Good luck. Keep us in the picture.
Speedbird-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2020, 08:05 PM   #19
Rock
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Grail:Bluesy
It DOES give the impression that none of the important elements are broken but there may be a lot of little plastic clips that have been damaged. Do you know anyone "handy" that could make an assessment? I am always going to try to fix it myself first, as long as it appears 'fixable'. If key elements are broken then maybe a body shop is the answer. Approach them and make it clear that you are paying for it - not an insurance job - and see what they quote. Can you get a used part from a Wrecker?

Foundation Member of 'Horologists Anonymous' "Hi, I'm Rocky, and I'm a Horologist..."
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2020, 08:55 PM   #20
1st amg

Watch: Rolex,AP,Panerai
Thats happened to one of my wifes car in the past. It actually just snaps all back together as it looks like nothing is missing. It all clicked together with the built in tabs and it was working perfectly since. Crazy as it looks, give it a try.
1st amg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2020, 08:57 PM   #21
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ny325 View Post
I would be really upset. Sorry that happened. Is it just the cover that came off? If it’s the cover, it snaps back in place. Was the mirror broken? What’s that long piece?

Looks like someone walked by, and bumped into the mirror pretty hard. Wires seem to be intact.
I always park far away from a entrance to a mall, supermarket, etc. I take care of car for some inconsiderate person to damage my vehicle. However, that doesn’t always work either. But it reduces the chances of damage to your vehicle.
Sorry to see this. Always seems my new cars are magnets for all kinds of idiots.

I always tell my wife the exercise is good for her. It does keep my vehicles looking nicer longer however.

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
dddrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2020, 10:03 PM   #22
RichM

Watch: out now,take care!
The same thing happened to me once. Only difference, it was my company car and they did leave a note. Since it’s a new car, have it repaired by a good body shop.
TRF #139960
RichM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2020, 10:29 PM   #23
colpol
"TRF" Member

The pits of the earth that somebody did that & no note

Know a few have just a car but .......

Probably end up paying yourself rather than claiming insurance. In uk - we’ve an excess so pay the first few hundred plus looking to avoid the claim
colpol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2020, 12:19 AM   #24
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
You handy guys are all the same ... to me it like hours of aggravation, too many beers to the point where I screw up the new part, scratch the paint and end up taking it in for the repair

That happens to me all the time lol I give it a go and if all else fails call the experts. Aka my brother in law
Old 7 July 2020, 01:02 AM   #25
Fredcohiba
"TRF" Member

I took in into the Nissan dealer today, they have a service and a body shop. The car is a Nissan Murano.
The indicator lens, that’s the long thinner piece hanging by the wires, is broken On the lens side and it is an integral part of the mirror. It was held in place by clips in the mirror housing which were sheered off. The “skull” cap has scratches but might be salvageable. The part is around $600, and labor is 2 hours. Total will be around $800 if the skull cap can be salvaged.
The mirror houses the camera and electronics for lane departure, heating and blind spot monitoring so that’s what makes it a big ticket item. They said they will buff out the minor scratches as a courtesy.
Old 7 July 2020, 01:21 AM   #26
Trouble15
"TRF" Member

Watch: A few
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabrice M View Post
If you were in a parking around businesses there is probably many security cameras that may have capture the accident.
Was thinking this too...
Trouble15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2020, 01:31 AM   #27
CashGap
"TRF" Member

I hate it. I hope this story helps...

In 1993, I ordered my first new vehicle. A 1993 Ford Ranger. I wanted an extended cab with every option, in blue over silver. Don't judge, it was 27 years ago.

The dealer called me at work, and said it was in. I got there 30 minutes before they closed, in the dark. Finished the deal.

Set my alarm for 4am, drove a few hours to my parents. Went inside to have breakfast. Walked them out to see the vehicle... which had been hit while I was inside, scraping the rear quarter panel, cab corner, and door.

I never saw it undamaged in daylight.

I got over it but it took a minute!!!
CashGap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2020, 01:38 AM   #28
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
Quote:
Total will be around $800 if the skull cap can be salvaged.
Holy smokes. And there's the problem with all of these fancy driver aids... when they break/get broken/age, it costs a fortune to replace.

Sorry for your loss. Best of luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CashGap View Post
I hate it. I hope this story helps...
A former boss of mine ordered herself a brand new Honda Accord, back in the early 80s when it was impossible to get one. I think she waited like 9 months for it. She drives it to work, and in the first week of ownership apparently a truck ran off of the Interstate near the parking deck and dumped its load of pipe right onto her new car, effectively crushing it.

People who saw it happen said that she sank to her knees and cried.

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2020, 02:23 AM   #29
Fredcohiba
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trouble15 View Post
Was thinking this too...
Called the cafe this AM and no one called to make a report of seeing anything happen or to relieve their guilty conscience but alas, they have no cameras. Drove past the area on the way to and back from the dealer - no cameras.
I am thinking/hoping that maybe the vehicle that hit me, passing just close enough to hit the very edge of the mirror, was a bigger van or truck and the driver didn’t even know what happened.
I’m old but I still have that boyish belief that people are good and would do the right thing when they can.
Old 7 July 2020, 03:06 AM   #30
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
Quote:
Called the cafe this AM and no one called to make a report of seeing anything happen or to relieve their guilty conscience but alas, they have no cameras. Drove past the area on the way to and back from the dealer - no cameras.
I am thinking/hoping that maybe the vehicle that hit me, passing just close enough to hit the very edge of the mirror, was a bigger van or truck and the driver didn’t even know what happened.
I’m old but I still have that boyish belief that people are good and would do the right thing when they can.
Wish I could say the same. I'm older as well. Sure wish that was the way things were. It is possible however who ever did didn't have a clue, I certainly could see that being the case.

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
dddrees is offline   Reply With Quote