The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 24 June 2020, 06:19 AM   #1
Roddypeepa
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ41 SubC SMPCcoax
Grey side? Sapphire sandwich? Something else?

Hi all.

I normally lurk on the Rolex side of the forum almost exclusively but occasionally have a look over here.

In fall 2018 I picked up a Rolex DJ41 blue stick on oyster 126300 for my 40th. I do really like it.

Unfortunately though I was looking just at the wrong time and the madness had already started. Hand on heart I would probably have had a sub/sub date had it been feasible but even then it just wasn’t.

In February 2019 I picked up a fairly mint 114060 lightly used at slightly above MSRP from 2017. Again really like it. It gets a LOT of wrist time.

I’m on the ‘list’ for a BLNR but not sure I like it on jubilee and a Hulk for 18 months now. Let’s face it, ain’t happening in the short/medium term unless the economy completely tanks and even then I think Rolex will keep models like that scarce.

Lately I’ve been looking out for my next piece which I think should be a chrono. So naturally I’ve been looking at speedies. Have had a good look at both the hesalite SMP and the sapphire sandwich. Have to say, much prefer the sapphire. Love the case back and I think for everyday use sapphire is the way to go.

However, that being said my eye has been drawn to the Grey side. I know it’s 2.5 mm bigger and looks to be a smidge thicker. Wrist size isn’t an issue, sub looks fairly small on my 19 ish cm wrist. I like the technology, the look, the fact it had a date for everyday use. I would pick up a used one (c£6k here in the uk compared with mrsp new of about £9.8k).

Does anyone own both? Any issues with thickness? If one is not going to be a speedy collector is one reference better for everyday use? Is the ceramic prone to chipping? Any issues with the strap(although it does look over engineered)?

Apart from this the only thing on my radar (realistically apart from a Pepsi or hulk which like I’ve said ain’t happening) is the explorer ii polar. Incidentally could’ve picked up the black version in 2018 bit didn’t sing to me (albeit stifle red up) but the polar really pops.

Thanks for any input you can give and take care all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Roddypeepa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2020, 09:44 PM   #2
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
I don't own a Grey Side of the Moon but I used to own a Speedy Pro and now own a coaxial moonphase watch which is similar in size to the Grey.

Don't let Omega stated dimensions fool you. All Speedmasters wear smaller than advertised because of the way Omega measures their watches. They are measured to the widest section of the round of the case including crown guards. The bezel width edge-to-edge is a hair over 41 mm, which gives a closer estimation on how it wears.

My Moonphase is 44.25 mm but wears closer to a 42. The watches are thicker but I've never had an issue with them. Only time I ever noticed the thickness is when trying to wear under a dress shirt. They will hang up tighter cuffs.

The straps are really really good. Comfortable, fit incredibly well, holds the watch stationary on the wrist, and Omega's deployant clasp is one of the best on the market.

That particular watch you like will be lighter in weight due to the ceramic case which is a positive to most. I think they are amazing looking watches. My only concern going that route is I'm not sure how it would look on a bracelet, so you may be limited to only wearing on the leather strap. A steel bracelet may not match up well with the grey ceramic case, but I haven't seen on on bracelet so maybe I'm wrong.

Since you mentioned you like the Speedy Pro with the sapphire crystal and display caseback, I'm thinking you may appreciate the coaxial Speedmasters a little more. They are all premium materials, more advance movement and functions, and NO WINDING which is a big plus to me.

That Grey Side also has the lumed bezel which is just so damn cool! I would take the GSOTM over the MW any day, but purists on here will argue the other way. Both are great chronos. Go to an AD and try both before you purchase. Unlike Rolex, you can actually see and touch a watch before purchasing it - imagine that!

samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2020, 10:32 PM   #3
Stevec14
"TRF" Member

Watch: 321, Snoopy 3
I’ll echo most of the above. The ceramics are certainly worth a look as are the coaxial racing speedies if a bracelet is your thing. The good thing about all speedies is that they are strap monsters and look terrific on a very wide variety of straps and NATO’s. One ceramic worth a look is the Apollo 8 but it’s manual wind (however a lot thinner)

Throwing something else out there, the Apollo 11 steel and gold is terrific if you can find one. Lots of updated materials etc and a pretty special watch - but then I’m biased as I own one.

You can’t really go wrong with any of them and as mentioned you can see and feel them to make your mind up.

Good luck hunting
Stevec14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2020, 11:38 PM   #4
sp006
"TRF" Member

I have owned one in the past. Absolutely amazing piece!

While I do think they wear smaller than marketed sizes would suggest...there is no faking the 16mm thickness. It is a thick watch and it is very noticeable in winter months when wearing more long sleeve shirts.

sp006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2020, 12:17 AM   #5
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sp006 View Post
I have owned one in the past. Absolutely amazing piece!

While I do think they wear smaller than marketed sizes would suggest...there is no faking the 16mm thickness. It is a thick watch and it is very noticeable in winter months when wearing more long sleeve shirts.

True but Omega hides the thickness a little better than other manufacturers a few different ways. They break up the profile on the Speedmasters with the layered "sandwich" look. They also put a good chunk of the thickness in the caseback which allow at least a portion of the thckness to sink into the skin.

This watch is 16.8 mm thick - thickest watch I own. While it certainly doesn't wear small, I think on the wrist it doesn't look anywhere near that thick. Some of this depends on wrist size and shape in order to get the watch to sink into the wrist.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S10 using Tapatalk
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2020, 01:06 AM   #6
Roddypeepa
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ41 SubC SMPCcoax
Grey side? Sapphire sandwich? Something else?

Thanks. Didn’t realise they measured case sizes differently so that makes a difference.

Agree with the coaxial sentiments. I know it’s not purist but convenient and having a date is really practical.

Roddypeepa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2020, 02:55 PM   #7
Pli.him
Banned

I have the regular plat dial Grey Side of the moon. It is quite thick, but shouldn't be a problem unless you're wearing a tight fitted shirt/jacket. I do agree that the engineering behind it does make it stand out compared to the classics if thats what you're into. Regardless, i'm glad to having something that is a little less common. I've tried both the sapphire moon watch and to be honest, the GSOTM doesn't wear that much larger especially on its strap. No issues with the strap - the rubber does prolong the life of it but I'd say the look might not be for everyone. I also try to be attentive of my surroundings so i'm glad I can't answer whether the chipping is a problem! Scratch resistance is definitely a huge plus. Would it be cheaper for you to buy from America/Canada given its cheaper price? (few hundred less)

Hope this helps.
Pli.him is offline   Reply With Quote