The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 4 July 2020, 05:50 AM   #1
Egomez
Banned

Watch: Daytona
Where to service Co-axial movement (2500)?

Hi All,

I have an Aqua Terra 2503.30 that hasn't been serviced in over 6 years.

Still running good (maybe -10 day), but after reading up on co-axials, I thought I would get it serviced already.

Who's good at serving co-axials in Tx? Or Service Center already?
Egomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2020, 07:17 AM   #2
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Phillip Ridley specializes in Omega and Rolex. You just missed him as he moved to Arizona last month.

I would bet he takes mail-ins though.
Old 4 July 2020, 12:26 PM   #3
JohnnyM
Banned

Watch: All the good ones
I'd only service it if it's not working properly
JohnnyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2020, 08:13 PM   #4
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Idiot Savant
Send it to Nesbit's in Seattle. They're Omega-certified, and they charge Omega prices, but it'll be done right the first time, they'll turn it around quickly, they'll listen and accommodate your preferences, and they'll provide a 3-year warranty. Phone Jan Nesbit and ask if COVID disruption is affecting turn-times; my Aqua Terra went to them in February, and it ended up sitting for a very long time because of delayed delivery of necessary parts from Omega HQ in Switzerland.

Crappy photo of my Aqua Terra covered in dust and lint...

AEC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2020, 06:52 AM   #5
phillip ridley
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1971 Rolex Red Sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyM View Post
I'd only service it if it's not working properly
I see a lot of people saying this and I figured this would be a good time to mention this.

Let me ask you this - would you drive your vehicle 50 thousand miles without an oil change? Answer is no or you will cause engine damage. The same method applies to mechanical watches. Once the oil is no longer there (5 to 6 years) one is now causing wear to the pivots, jewels, bearings and gears. Not to mention replacing the seals to prevent moisture from entering.
Old 10 July 2020, 02:59 AM   #6
RedwinGV
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smstr 600m BigBlue
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillip ridley View Post
I see a lot of people saying this and I figured this would be a good time to mention this.

Let me ask you this - would you drive your vehicle 50 thousand miles without an oil change? Answer is no or you will cause engine damage. The same method applies to mechanical watches. Once the oil is no longer there (5 to 6 years) one is now causing wear to the pivots, jewels, bearings and gears. Not to mention replacing the seals to prevent moisture from entering.
I honestly don't know what to believe. I see your point.. to a point. But if a watch is serviced, won't those lubrications and parts be replaced anyway? I just had my Rolex "maintainted" and other than one part, it appears that all the parts and seals would have been replaced if I brought the watch in 3 years ago or last month. So yes, lubrication and water seals are important, but it's not like we're putting in new rocker arms, piston rings, etc.

So, I'm still in the camp to get the work done when the watch is showing some sign of not working properly. Now, if I could find someone that would lube it up every few years for $100 or so, I might consider it. But I've yet seen a return for servicing a watch as a preventative maintenance approach.
Old 10 July 2020, 03:11 AM   #7
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedwinGV View Post
I honestly don't know what to believe. I see your point.. to a point. But if a watch is serviced, won't those lubrications and parts be replaced anyway? I just had my Rolex "maintainted" and other than one part, it appears that all the parts and seals would have been replaced if I brought the watch in 3 years ago or last month. So yes, lubrication and water seals are important, but it's not like we're putting in new rocker arms, piston rings, etc.
. . .
The point being made by Ridley is that you can allow the disintegration of your watch to the point of catastrophic failure. However, there are many who do not want their watch to suddenly break/fail or the sealing system to allow in water.

If you choose to wear to failure, yes, new parts will be put in - up to a point.
Dials and hand damage will cost you.

Like any machine, it's nice to have confidence in it's performance all of the time, and not hope it's going to last through your vacation where it can then fail and you can replace the parts at your leisure.
Old 10 July 2020, 03:30 AM   #8
RedwinGV
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smstr 600m BigBlue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
The point being made by Ridley is that you can allow the disintegration of your watch to the point of catastrophic failure. However, there are many who do not want their watch to suddenly break/fail or the sealing system to allow in water.

If you choose to wear to failure, yes, new parts will be put in - up to a point.
Dials and hand damage will cost you.

Like any machine, it's nice to have confidence in it's performance all of the time, and not hope it's going to last through your vacation where it can then fail and you can replace the parts at your leisure.
Can't argue with that approach. However, based upon anecdotal evidence, I've not seen many cases where this happens. If one is a exposing it to heavy water use, it makes sense to insure that the water resistance is up to snuff. As for dials and hand damage, I suppose it happens, but again, I'm not seeing data that shows this happens enough to warrant a service 3 or more years earlier.

I do agree if one is going on 10 years, one is likely facing some service needs, so get it done even if watch is behaving. However, going in at 6 years with a well running watch? I'll roll the dice. To each their own. I do admit I too have my doubts. I'm probably just more risky than most.
Old 10 July 2020, 09:30 AM   #9
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Idiot Savant
Come on, people. If you dig your watch, then send it for regular, quality maintenance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AEC is online now   Reply With Quote