The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 19 February 2018, 05:47 AM   #61
rudegar
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD 40 Pt
Regarding the lug debate: does anyone think they’ll chamfer the GMT but not the sub to differentiate the cases. (Or vice versa)
rudegar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2018, 05:49 AM   #62
bdex75
"TRF" Member

Watch: my money vanish
Thinner chamfered lugs, modern bracelet Coke GMT in stainless steel.

The wait time will make the ceramic Daytona list look like a wait for a burger at McDonalds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
bdex75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2018, 05:56 AM   #63
jonnyz1245
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subtona View Post
Bring back slimmer/proper lugs.

The transition from lug to bracelet was at one time beautiful and elegant, now it just appears as an after thought.
Agreed. I always thought the Maxicase is/was a mistake and even though I own one, I much prefer a more tapered balanced look.
jonnyz1245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2018, 05:58 AM   #64
Sub King
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Portland View Post
Oh you mean like the Cellini or Milgauss? Cuz I am pretty sure those aren’t flying off anyone’s shelves unless the AD is located in a hurricane prone area.
You got me there.
Sub King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2018, 05:59 AM   #65
Portland
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sub King View Post
You got me there.

lol
Portland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2018, 06:02 AM   #66
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
I think Rolex will roll out new case designs as new movements are integrated into each model. When that happens, I think Rolex will go about making subtle changes to the lugs and cases.

Rolex does everything in a methodical, slow way (well most things), so I believe that case and lug redesigns will land somewhere in between the slim and refined 4 digit and the blocky, rugged 6 digit designs.

Thank you I’m Swiss, so I like to play it down the middle
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2018, 06:04 AM   #67
jonnyz1245
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

And, SOMEONE likes the design because they sell like hot cakes no matter which country it’s being sold in.
yes, but as we both know Paul, people are like sheep and follow the herd. I'm not talking about watch aficionados such as you will find on TRF, but the watch buying public who has no idea TRF exists and wants a Rolex. They sell like hotcakes because the buyer is not presented with a choice. They have to buy it if they want a Rolex Submariner, the watch they equate with having "made it" or the watch they saw in ads all over the world and they now have a little change in their pocket.

A more telling measure would be what if Rolex were making a Sub in two case variants ? And the consumer was presented with this option in the AD's case? Which one would sell more? I have no idea what the answer is and there is no right or wrong answer.
Old 19 February 2018, 06:05 AM   #68
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post

Just like my golf game.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2018, 06:09 AM   #69
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchwatcher View Post
Just like my golf game.
I can only wish that to be the case.

I’m everywhere else when it comes to golf
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2018, 06:09 AM   #70
jonnyz1245
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
I think Rolex will roll out new case designs as new movements are integrated into each model. When that happens, I think Rolex will go about making subtle changes to the lugs and cases.

Rolex does everything in a methodical, slow way (well most things), so I believe that case and lug redesigns will land somewhere in between the slim and refined 4 digit and the blocky, rugged 6 digit designs.

my money is on this too. I think Rolex will indeed change the case design. When is the big question. It could be this year, 3 years from now, or 5 years down the road.
Old 19 February 2018, 06:13 AM   #71
Portland
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyz1245 View Post
yes, but as we both know Paul, people are like sheep and follow the herd. I'm not talking about watch aficionados such as you will find on TRF, but the watch buying public who has no idea TRF exists and wants a Rolex. They sell like hotcakes because the buyer is not presented with a choice. They have to buy it if they want a Rolex Submariner, the watch they equate with having "made it" or the watch they saw in ads all over the world and they now have a little change in their pocket.

A more telling measure would be what if Rolex were making a Sub in two case variants ? And the consumer was presented with this option in the AD's case? Which one would sell more? I have no idea what the answer is and there is no right or wrong answer.

Good point my friend. But, it’s not like 5 digit subs are in short demand, so there options for buyers. I’m assuming you meant “brand new options”.
Portland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2018, 06:15 AM   #72
Robbyman
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona/Pepsi/Sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiden View Post
No change. It’s only a small minority that likes the vintage size of the 5 digits. Rolex knows their markets. Or I could be wrong.

You’re wrong!
Robbyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2018, 06:21 AM   #73
g-boac
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudegar View Post
Regarding the lug debate: does anyone think they’ll chamfer the GMT but not the sub to differentiate the cases. (Or vice versa)
I think one reasonable approach would be the crown guards: keeping the crown guards a bit closer to a square shape, as current GMT cases are (or perhaps slimming slightly, to what SD4K cases were) for GMTs, while returning the Submariner crown guards to a pointer profile, not unlike the Yachtmaster I is or the 14060M was.

In both instances, I would also love to see a return of lug holes and chamfers to the case.
g-boac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2018, 06:25 AM   #74
jonnyz1245
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Good point my friend. But, it’s not like 5 digit subs are in short demand, so there options for buyers. I’m assuming you meant “brand new options”.

True dat. I did mean brand new options. Yes, plenty of vintage subs out there so definitely a variety of cases for the enthusiast.

I am more curious as to whether or not a a Sub, with a new slimmer lug/wider bracelet such as the SD43 would sell as much, more, or less than the current maxi case if the consumer was given the choice at the AD.? Obviously it will never happen but what if there was a maxi case Sub and SD43 style Sub at the same time? I have my suspicions and I don't believe there is a right or wrong answer. It's all a matter of personal preference. Having owned both, my vote goes for the more balanced look of the tapered lugs case etc. I have thought the maxi case was a bad idea from the get go because to me it lost that classic Rolex look. That said, the one thing you can count on in life is change, whether or not we agree with it, it will happen.
Old 19 February 2018, 06:53 AM   #75
Fanofsteel
"TRF" Member

I doubt it will happen any time soon. There might be a significant proportion of people on these forums who prefer the vintage/slimmer lugs, but as it's been said, the larger market has spoken, and the current generation of Subs fly off the shelves faster than consumers can chase after them. Rolex is not likely to fix what ain't broke, and they aren't likely to take a chance by altering the design. I personally would bet on no change in this aspect.

Also, many people who have only recently become Rolex fans did not "grow up" with the 5-digit Sub models, so there was no time for them to grow fond of the design. Many of the younger-generation Rolex consumers are mainly familiar & thus attached to the latest design. It's my guess that these folks comprise the majority of the market (& certainly the future market) for Subs, and will continue to identify Subs with those larger, square-jawed lugs.

I'm part of the newer generation of Rolex fans who prefers the current, more chunky/masculine design - at least on the Sub.
Fanofsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2018, 07:01 AM   #76
exador
Banned

Does anyone know for sure if the new 3235 movement will fit into a 40 mm case?
I've read that the diameter is the same as 3135 @ 28.5 mm, but one site says "It is used in the larger Datejust 41 and red Sea-Dweller 43 mm models. The larger diameter allowed for a larger barrel offering a 70 hour power reserve".
So perhaps a gimped version in a 40 mm Sub?
exador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2018, 07:09 AM   #77
SeaAndSky
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiden View Post
No change. It’s only a small minority that likes the vintage size of the 5 digits. Rolex knows their markets. Or I could be wrong.
I agree. I prefer the Maxicase. Rolex evidently has no problem selling them. Reading this forum I find myself sometimes thinking that the very few wis types here overestimate the perceived impact of their posts upon any actual Rolex decision makers who might lurk here.
SeaAndSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2018, 07:15 AM   #78
richard371
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN White
I never liked the fat lugs. They never blended well with the bracelet. I still had the 116613lb but sold it. Prefer the lugs of the Daytona.
richard371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2018, 07:17 AM   #79
rollee1
"TRF" Member

Watch: it watching me
Only 5 digits for me.
Tried the ceramic case, gone in no time.
Old 19 February 2018, 07:27 AM   #80
jps3b
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116619
This is just my opinion, and I could be totally off my rocker, but I feel for sure all the submariner’s will get the new 3235 movement. Why would they keep the 3135? Plus, it gives them a reason to raise the price. As for a different case, I really doubt it. Given it’s history with change, Rolex doesn’t make big redesigns. I too preferred the 5 digit case size. That is until I bought a 6 digit submariner. Yes, the proportions aren’t as good, but I feel it’s much sportier. And as a society moving away from more formal settings, I think it fits much better with who we are. Not trying to lump everybody together, but just speaking generally.
jps3b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2018, 07:42 AM   #81
jimbones43
"TRF" Member

IMO the larger lugs in flesh are not an issue..
jimbones43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2018, 07:45 AM   #82
Bladeshot
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT 1675 PCG Gilt
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
I think it unlikely on balance, given Rolex are financially motivated, not WIS motivated, and the 6's are flying off the shelves so no real need for all this extra cost. On the other hand if they are introducing new movements then they may redesign the models too, dials and possibly the lugs, to make the new watch significantly different.

However slimming the lugs would be indicating the 6's were a mistake and would both annoy a host of owners and harm the idea of the "great untouchable Rolex" and the brand image they currently enjoy, so I think Rolex won't take this unnecessary risk. I'd wait for a downturn for something this big.

This. Completely agree. Our WIS community is small versus general buyers. They don’t seem to care. I do care. I like the 5-digit but I have both. I am trying to convince myself I like the 6-digit but it’s not going well. I hope they reduce the size of the lugs or add 1mm to the bracelet width. I expect neither to happen. Always great to read one of these threads!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 19 February 2018, 08:01 AM   #83
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
I think it unlikely on balance, given Rolex are financially motivated, not WIS motivated, and the 6's are flying off the shelves so no real need for all this extra cost. On the other hand if they are introducing new movements then they may redesign the models too, dials and possibly the lugs, to make the new watch significantly different.

However slimming the lugs would be indicating the 6's were a mistake and would both annoy a host of owners and harm the idea of the "great untouchable Rolex" and the brand image they currently enjoy, so I think Rolex won't take this unnecessary risk. I'd wait for a downturn for something this big.
You could argue that DJ2 to DJ41 was an admission by Rolex that the chunkier case proportions were a mistake.

Rolex could easily have stuck the new movement in the DJ2 case, but they didn’t. They designed a whole new smaller case with different proportions.

And I’d bet the DJ2 was the best selling Rolex during its time in production

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2018, 08:04 AM   #84
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by exador View Post
Does anyone know for sure if the new 3235 movement will fit into a 40 mm case?
I've read that the diameter is the same as 3135 @ 28.5 mm, but one site says "It is used in the larger Datejust 41 and red Sea-Dweller 43 mm models. The larger diameter allowed for a larger barrel offering a 70 hour power reserve".
So perhaps a gimped version in a 40 mm Sub?
The movements are the same size. The DJ41 is smaller than the DJ2 which has the 3135.

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2018, 08:06 AM   #85
1kw
"TRF" Member

They already make a 40 mm sub. with slim lugs....its called a yacht master
1kw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2018, 08:21 AM   #86
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildog View Post
You could argue that DJ2 to DJ41 was an admission by Rolex that the chunkier case proportions were a mistake.

Rolex could easily have stuck the new movement in the DJ2 case, but they didn’t. They designed a whole new smaller case with different proportions.

And I’d bet the DJ2 was the best selling Rolex during its time in production
That's a fair point, but no matter the sales of the DJ2, altho they may not have been happy with the rate of DJ2 sales v projected, the Sub and Daytona are the models by which Rolex as a brand and a coveted Veblen good is judged, esp in this social media world, so I would find this decision very strange. Like I said I would wait for a downturn in sales before messing with a formula that is enjoying unparalleled success, but a new movement may present an opportunity to make a change without them losing too much face... or metal.

Just to add with ADs now filled to the brim with unsold DJ41s that is actually an argument that maybe they shouldn't admit to another "mistake", brand perception is a very delicate thing.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2018, 09:04 AM   #87
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratguy View Post
Apparently not the minority. This poll would indicate otherwise.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=586665
Yes, because a poll of incomplete offerings, with ambiguous wording, completed by self-selecting watch nuts who take the time to bicker endlessly about the most mundane details of the pursuit is completely scientific.
JacksonStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2018, 09:07 AM   #88
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sub King View Post
I've always found it amusing when people say that the fat lugs must be a superior design choice simply because the watches fly off shelves... Rolex could make the most grotesque and ugly watch imaginable and it would still sell like hotcakes just because it says "ROLEX" on the dial. That printed word is, after all, the reason why most people buy a Rolex.
I sincerely hope you're not a CEO of any company in which I own stock.
Old 19 February 2018, 09:15 AM   #89
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jps3b View Post
This is just my opinion, and I could be totally off my rocker, but I feel for sure all the submariner’s will get the new 3235 movement. Why would they keep the 3135? Plus, it gives them a reason to raise the price. As for a different case, I really doubt it. Given it’s history with change, Rolex doesn’t make big redesigns.
This is the 64-thousand dollar question. I'd say the new movement is a given within the next few years. Rolex has the 32xx to incorporate, and the 31xx is both outdated on paper and superseded by the competition. It makes no sense they'd go to the trouble of developing an entirely new movement but not use it in their most popular models. The question is, will the new movement be accompanied by modified case designs in the sports models, or will it be incorporated into the existing designs? You raise a good argument: history suggests the company likes the Sub designs to go on for decades. The current design is only now just ten years old, and is still selling very well, which gives them motivation to keep it. The GMT is only slightly older, at 13 years. On the other hand, every model to receive the 32xx movement so far has been a redesign, not an existing design. This suggests Rolex might be looking to have a whole new portfolio of models with the new movement. It's hard to read the tea leaves on this one.
Old 19 February 2018, 09:16 AM   #90
jonnyz1245
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonStone View Post
Yes, because a poll of incomplete offerings, with ambiguous wording, completed by self-selecting watch nuts who take the time to bicker endlessly about the most mundane details of the pursuit is completely scientific.