The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 4 December 2016, 12:30 PM   #1
Gouldy8
"TRF" Member

Tudor BB Blue (in house COSC movement)

Good Afternoon Ladies and Gentlemen!

So originally I typed out a full length discussion on the Tudor Black Bay vs the Rolex Sub, which was my 6 month purchasing dilemma. But that isn't what I wanted, nor what you wanted to hear. So let's get into it.

Tudor has become revolutionary in producing its in house movement, particularly MT5602 which powers the black bay. It comes COSC which is accurate to -2 +4 per day I believe, which is fantastic under any watch name. It also features a silicone balance spring and a traversing bridge to ensure that the movement is reliable and solid as a rock. Beating at 28,000 (4hz) per minute it really is before it's time and way before its price point!

The bracelet is 316L stainless brushed and polished in at the rivets and shield logo on the clasp. It features solid end links and solid throughout. The weight of the bracelet echoes quality and makes this piece feel significant but not bulky. Sizing is catered by adequate link sizes and the micro adjustability of the clasp which moves in 1mm increments to ensure the perfect fit. Ceramic ball bearings at the clasp ensure a smooth operation and prevent metal on metal collisions. IMO this detail is fantastic and is surprising to see on a watch of this price point.

The case, also made from 316L is gently brushed and polished on the sides. The fit and finish is superb and can not be faulted.

The dial is matte black and seems to "fade" into the case to focus all attention on the white hands and indices which are gilded in a white metal. This white on white combination is a lot smarter, cleaner and sophisticated than that of the gold on the BBB and BBR, in my opinion. Tudors shield is sported on the dial, while I do enjoy the rose, I have no argument against the shield. The minimalistic writings on the dial is also a nice touch.

The bezel is unidirectional, staying true to its use as a diver. This is to ensure you cannot accidentally move the bezel clockwise and assume you have been underwater a lesser time than reality. It is detailed with a coined edge and even made from aluminum, it echoes quality craftsmanship with each turn and does not feel "tinny" as with cheaper alternatives. Overall, it is one of, if not the nicest bezel I have seen.

In conclusion, I have tried to keep this review minute and let the photos speak a thousand words for me.

But in my honest opinion, I went to the RSC yesterday to purchase this or a Sub and I had each, side by side, obviously the Tudor won. In my consideration, money was not a factor, servicing was not a problem and the brand name was not a factor. My decision has come from the maturity as a collector, my respect for the engineering and the love of history. Tudor has come a long way and IMO now with a COSC, it is a game changer!

Enjoy the watch you love :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gouldy8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2016, 12:40 PM   #2
Gouldy8
"TRF" Member

Gouldy8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2016, 02:08 PM   #3
bdex75
"TRF" Member

Watch: my money vanish
Tudor BB Blue (in house COSC movement)

Congrats. Great watch. I may pick up an in house BB at some point. Starting to like the riveted bracelet.

bdex75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2018, 06:58 PM   #4
nupezb
"TRF" Member

Good review. I'm looking at this watch and waiting on the BB GMT to come out before making my decision.
nupezb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2018, 11:34 PM   #5
jaySL350
"TRF" Member

Watch: BBG,Hulk,16013,DJB
Great review,,
Thanks for sharing,,
Loving my BB blue and BB green,
Blue is in leather and just about to go onto a black Rubber B
jaySL350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2018, 12:18 PM   #6
Amochosto
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me
I love my Steel and Gold Black Bay! So far when I am wearing one of the other watches in my rotation I usually look forward to switching back to my BB. I’ll see what happens when I finally get my Explorer II back from service tomorrow.
Amochosto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2018, 02:48 AM   #7
tudorbaja27
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor & Cartier
My red black bay says hi !
Old 18 May 2018, 05:08 AM   #8
andrewjb88
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16302 Rolex OP
On the list for a BB GMT but don't think I can wait that long so deciding if to pull the plug on a BB in blue or red.
andrewjb88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2018, 05:43 AM   #9
JayB
"TRF" Member

Watch: EXP, DJ, NF
Great review Gouldy8

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewjb88 View Post
On the list for a BB GMT but don't think I can wait that long so deciding if to pull the plug on a BB in blue or red.
I've been feeling exactly the same lately, thankfully it's only a few weeks to go and I'm holding out at the moment

Rolex Explorer -- Rolex Datejust -- Tudor North Flag -- Omega De Ville Trésor -- Tudor Black Bay GMT -- Omega Speedmaster Professional -- Tudor Black Bay Fifty Eight
JayB is offline   Reply With Quote