The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 6 August 2015, 04:01 AM   #1
CassiusNZ
"TRF" Member

16628 - YG Blue Dial Yachtmaster Questions - Help Needed....

Morning All,

Alright have cancelled out the YG Daytona, Sub and GMT as there all a bit bulky.. and have found the one that fits me the best is the YG Blue Dial Yachtmaster... 16628. Well.. all I could try on is the two tone.. which feel great.. but I want the YG.

Here are my questions -

1. What is the difference in movt., case construction, bracelet between the early models of this model 92 I think.. and the later.. 2005 i think?

2. Is the bezel able to be repolished or replaced if there is excessive scratching in the future?

3. How easy are these to service? I assume a simple movt.. i am from NZL so don't want anything too vintage or complicated.

Thanks all! Also whats a decent price for one? Seen them range from 15k (earlier model) to $19k Later model

Thanks!
CassiusNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2015, 06:44 AM   #2
CassiusNZ
"TRF" Member

No one?
Old 6 August 2015, 06:50 AM   #3
Alpino
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CassiusNZ View Post
Here are my questions -

1. What is the difference in movt., case construction, bracelet between the early models of this model 92 I think.. and the later.. 2005 i think?

2. Is the bezel able to be repolished or replaced if there is excessive scratching in the future?

3. How easy are these to service? I assume a simple movt.. i am from NZL so don't want anything too vintage or complicated.
Production date starts in 1992 but ends in 2011, not 2005.
There have been no modification from the begining to the end, except the engraved rehaut added around 2007.

2. yes and yes .

3. servicing a 16628 is like servicing every other Rolex model. The movement is a standard 3135.
It may just cost more if some external parts have to be changed , like the crown , because they are made of gold not steel.
Alpino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2015, 07:34 AM   #4
CassiusNZ
"TRF" Member

Great info thanks Alpino!
Old 6 August 2015, 04:26 PM   #5
Flex368
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes!
I am confused here as the OP says the Daytona is a little too bulky.

Alpino, isn´t the YM 1662x case the same as for the 1652x Daytona just without the pushers?
Flex368 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2015, 09:47 PM   #6
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
I had a YM for a while, and it is a beautiful watch. When I went to sell it and took some close-up photos, I discovered that the bezel had quite a few light scratches in it, so it's not nearly as durable as the newer ceramics. But they are gorgeous, and so I guess that's just the price that you pay for beauty.

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2015, 09:54 PM   #7
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Well, as usual Alpino is spot on so I don't have much to add. But, I am thinking along the lines of Felix...I can't imagine a gold YM being less bulky than a gold Daytona. I think your best bet is trying on gold models back to back and making a determination that way.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2015, 12:19 AM   #8
hunterp27
Banned

Watch: WG 18039 Day/Date
Could be wrong but........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpino View Post
Production date starts in 1992 but ends in 2011, not 2005.
There have been no modification from the begining to the end, except the engraved rehaut added around 2007.

2. yes and yes .

3. servicing a 16628 is like servicing every other Rolex model. The movement is a standard 3135.
It may just cost more if some external parts have to be changed , like the crown , because they are made of gold not steel.
I thought there was a small modification to the case lugs (at then very tip where it curves down) along the way as well as case lug holes being removed too? Someone who has deeper knowledge can confirm this i'm sure.
hunterp27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2015, 01:23 AM   #9
Alpino
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterp27 View Post
I thought there was a small modification to the case lugs (at then very tip where it curves down) along the way as well as case lug holes being removed too? Someone who has deeper knowledge can confirm this i'm sure.
You're right for lug holes removal. I don't know the exact year it occured, probably between 97 and 2000.

For the lugs modification , I can't say. Would be interesting to compare 2 models from the begining and from the end of production, to tell.
Alpino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2015, 02:49 PM   #10
BAMBAM
"TRF" Member

The very first of the 16628 had also a Submariner case and a long waiting list at the AD !
BAMBAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2015, 03:03 PM   #11
Eric Chan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Day-Date 118238
Sounds like the experts have chimed in. Their info is always appreciated.

The YG YM especially the one with the blur dial is a fantastic alternative to the more common place Subs and GMT's out there. It is too bad Rolex discontinued it back in 2011.
Eric Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2015, 03:09 PM   #12
Lordofrolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes Please!
I looked into one. They go for around 16k. If you like it do it.

Follow me on Instagram: @b_jakobovich
Lordofrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2015, 04:47 PM   #13
BAMBAM
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Chan View Post
Sounds like the experts have chimed in. Their info is always appreciated.

The YG YM especially the one with the blur dial is a fantastic alternative to the more common place Subs and GMT's out there. It is too bad Rolex discontinued it back in 2011.
I am far away from expert on the YM , but as I just intend to buy this one I was looking to a lot of information's. This one was serviced already thats why we have the SL dial and hands.

BAMBAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2015, 02:40 AM   #14
Eric Chan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Day-Date 118238
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAMBAM View Post
I am far away from expert on the YM , but as I just intend to buy this one I was looking to a lot of information's. This one was serviced already thats why we have the SL dial and hands.

A beauty.
Eric Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2015, 06:01 AM   #15
Onikage
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16628
Very nice.
ROLEXFANBOY P-Club Member #4
Onikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2015, 09:40 AM   #16
subking86
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Beautiful watch. Just like the SS model.
subking86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2015, 09:53 AM   #17
LuminousMaximus
"TRF" Member

Watch: me hit Huge Lotto
Icon5

I'm not a YachtMaster Expert, but I have never seen one that had brushed lugs like the photo above...

I believe that they are all polished...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 16628.jpg (58.4 KB, 539 views)

To really lives means to live your life to the fullest. It means to chase your dreams, take risks, and to love life.
Since everyone’s fate is the same, why not live the best life that you possibly can? In order to really live,you must seize the day.
Live each day as if it's your last and overall just do it! Today is a gift, that’s why it’s called the present...
LuminousMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2015, 09:59 AM   #18
LuminousMaximus
"TRF" Member

Here's another. I tried to find the same angle. Does the case seem different?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l1600.jpg (108.2 KB, 535 views)

To really lives means to live your life to the fullest. It means to chase your dreams, take risks, and to love life.
Since everyone’s fate is the same, why not live the best life that you possibly can? In order to really live,you must seize the day.
Live each day as if it's your last and overall just do it! Today is a gift, that’s why it’s called the present...
Old 29 October 2015, 11:02 AM   #19
lja1821
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16613ln
16628 - YG Blue Dial Yachtmaster Questions - Help Needed....

Yes i agree looks like a sub case and bracelet with yachtmaster bezel and dial. The crown guards and sels are a dead giveaway.
lja1821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2015, 02:59 PM   #20
LuminousMaximus
"TRF" Member

Yep, the brushed case lugs look longer as well...

Old 30 October 2015, 02:07 PM   #21
sigguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: SeaDweller
Definitely different. The older model has lug holes and the end-links are shorter than
the end of the lugs. The newer model has no lug holes and the end links do protrude
out slightly from the lugs. I'm pretty sure it was around the T or U serial number
series that they made that change. I have an A series and it's definitely the later
no-hole case with protruding end links.

Looking at some other pictures online the lugs are definitely shaped differently
between the old and new version; the newer lugs are curved more and have flat spots on
the bottom tips; the old ones don't. The later one wears very comfortably for me; the bracelet
fits well and the case doesn't move around much on the wrist. For a heavy watch (183 grams)
thats good. Note that it's quite a bit heavier than the two-tone.

Compared to the other 18k gold sport rolexes it's much less common and doesn't seem
as popular as the gold sub or gmt; still a great watch.
sigguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2015, 02:32 PM   #22
gem21
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigguy View Post
Definitely different. The older model has lug holes and the end-links are shorter than
the end of the lugs. The newer model has no lug holes and the end links do protrude
out slightly from the lugs. I'm pretty sure it was around the T or U serial number
series that they made that change. I have an A series and it's definitely the later
no-hole case with protruding end links.

Looking at some other pictures online the lugs are definitely shaped differently
between the old and new version; the newer lugs are curved more and have flat spots on
the bottom tips; the old ones don't. The later one wears very comfortably for me; the bracelet
fits well and the case doesn't move around much on the wrist. For a heavy watch (183 grams)
thats good. Note that it's quite a bit heavier than the two-tone.

Compared to the other 18k gold sport rolexes it's much less common and doesn't seem
as popular as the gold sub or gmt; still a great watch.
The original gold YM from the early 90's used a submariner case, that was changed on all models with the introduction of the TT's and the steel and Pt variants in the mid to late 90's. i suspect the submariner cased models are fairly rare.
gem21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2015, 02:59 PM   #23
jschmidtdmd
"TRF" Member

Just to reconfirm, the YG YM with blue dial is out of production correct?

I really like that piece, it's too bad if that's the case. If someone could confirm I would appreciate it.

JPS
Old 31 October 2015, 01:14 PM   #24
sigguy
"TRF" Member

Yes, last time the 16628 was in the Rolex catalog was 2011. Did not appear
in the 2012 catalog.
Old 31 October 2015, 05:56 PM   #25
The moose
Banned

Here is mine from 1994, lovely watch!

The moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2015, 10:36 AM   #26
Onikage
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousMaximus View Post
Here's another. I tried to find the same angle. Does the case seem different?

The early Yachtmaster was only made in full gold and looked like a Sub. Thin crown guards, brushed lug surfaces, flat sides. The case was completely reworked for later ones with a full sheen finish, more rounded, smoother contours and fatter crown guards. They seem to have brought back a slightly more angular case for the new everose one.
Old 20 April 2018, 07:04 AM   #27
thesharkfactor
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Thread resurrection...

I'm looking at one of these older 16628's in the early Submariner style case. I think the shape is far more desirable than the later model..the lugs and crown guards look just like a Sub.

With a view to flipping this later, would I be wiser to buy the early or later model 16628? In other words, is one more desirable or easier to sell than the other? I don't wish to buy a watch I would be stuck with..but I do prefer the Sub cased watch..
thesharkfactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2018, 07:47 AM   #28
Onikage
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesharkfactor View Post
Thread resurrection...

I'm looking at one of these older 16628's in the early Submariner style case. I think the shape is far more desirable than the later model..the lugs and crown guards look just like a Sub.

With a view to flipping this later, would I be wiser to buy the early or later model 16628? In other words, is one more desirable or easier to sell than the other? I don't wish to buy a watch I would be stuck with..but I do prefer the Sub cased watch..
As always - Condition is most important. I have to say I've never seen an early example in as great condition as the one pictured above. If given the choice and you can find one of those GET IT! The newer one is still cool though, almost like it has Daytona DNA. It's just sexy.
Old 20 April 2018, 07:58 AM   #29
thesharkfactor
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
I just know the older one would be a better fit on my wrist, the later model has longer SEL's which I cannot not-see each time I look at it. They all stunning ofcourse! I wonder why they changed the case and SEL's.. it looked real sharp they way it was, i dont think they improved it!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rolex-Yacht-Master-16628-gold.jpg (245.3 KB, 229 views)
thesharkfactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2018, 08:04 AM   #30
sigguy
"TRF" Member

Yes I agree with Onikage; condition is more important than old/new style for this model. Since the differences are very minor there isn't a jump in price between old/new.
If you find the older one you want in good condition I don't think you will get hurt.