The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 26 July 2011, 12:29 PM   #1
Bulliondesk
Banned

16610 Series Questions

Hey guys. I'm a newb to the Sub world.. looking to get a 16610, as I love it's aesthetics and fit on my wrist.

Want to know which letter series have the Rehaut Engraving? And if the Ceramic bezel was on any of the V series 16610 or strictly 116610?

Besides the date they were produced is there any specific difference between the A.. P.. K.. Y..F..D..Z..M.. or V that I should know about before I make my decision? If you guys have a preference of which series I should look to get, please feel free and let me know. I'm open to all suggestions.

Thanks!
Bulliondesk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2011, 12:45 PM   #2
toph
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Brellum,
rehaut engraving started with the D series.. so all M, V, (G and randoms) most recent- will have it along with some or many Z serial and i have heard even the possible D serial which preceded the Z. not all D and Z were done.. i have no idea why.

As for any difference the pre 1998 serial U , T etc going backwards will have Tritium hour markers and hands rather than Luminova which was introduced around 98 so A serail forward will say Swiss made on dial and pre A wil say swiss T<25 ( tritium as luminous paint) of course there will be the odd crossover.
it is only the 116610 that has the ceramic bezel.
hope that is of some help
Cheers

"Where no counsel is the people fall, but in the multitude of counselors there is safety."

Member No.# 11795
toph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2011, 12:47 PM   #3
Kanger
Banned

Watch: Sea Dweller
For 16610, engraving rehaut started in late Z :)
Kanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2011, 01:01 PM   #4
MortgageGuy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanger View Post
For 16610, engraving rehaut started in late Z :)
YUP, sounds about right for SS... earlier models did have engraving but primarily precious metals
Old 26 July 2011, 01:04 PM   #5
Bulliondesk
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by toph View Post
rehaut engraving started with the D series.. so all M, V, (G and randoms) most recent- will have it along with some or many Z serial and i have heard even the possible D serial which preceded the Z. not all D and Z were done.. i have no idea why.
When was the G series produced?

Dec 08 - Present V 000,001
Jan 08 - Nov 08 M 000,001
July 06 - Dec 07 Z 000,001
Jan 05 - July 06 D 000,001
Jan 04 F 000,001
Sept 02 Y 000,001
August 01 K 000,001
April 00 P 000,004
1998-1999 A 000,002

Is this date series correct? Would there be a reason to purchase a Rehaut vs. Non Rehaut? Just trying to figure out all the little intricacies of the 16610 before I make a final decision.

Thanks Toph for your detailed response!
Old 26 July 2011, 01:09 PM   #6
toph
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Brellum,
G possible started in 2010 and random ( mix of letters and numbers) series are 2011 serial probably most charts havent added them yet. They have been introduced in conjunction with each other as far as i can see.
That chart is pretty much correct, its hard to put exact months on the production dates as not every model is collated into findings obviously ( as rolex will not do it) but the year is a good enough indicator.
What do you prefer? The engraved rehaut is an extra security feature agiant copying/fakes and is a nice touch which adds detail in an intricate way. The engraved Rehaut also has the serial number engraved above the 6 oclock marker rather than the serial number being between the lugs like it was pre engraving.
cheers

"Where no counsel is the people fall, but in the multitude of counselors there is safety."

Member No.# 11795
toph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2011, 03:58 PM   #7
leerecords
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Bezel

This is a newbie question, but if the 116610 has a Ceramic Bezel what kind of Bezel do the older 16610 Subs have?
leerecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2011, 04:03 PM   #8
Dr. Robert
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 1655
Quote:
Originally Posted by leerecords View Post
This is a newbie question, but if the 116610 has a Ceramic Bezel what kind of Bezel do the older 16610 Subs have?
aluminum
Old 26 July 2011, 04:52 PM   #9
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulliondesk View Post
Hey guys. I'm a newb to the Sub world.. looking to get a 16610, as I love it's aesthetics and fit on my wrist.

Want to know which letter series have the Rehaut Engraving? And if the Ceramic bezel was on any of the V series 16610 or strictly 116610?

Besides the date they were produced is there any specific difference between the A.. P.. K.. Y..F..D..Z..M.. or V that I should know about before I make my decision? If you guys have a preference of which series I should look to get, please feel free and let me know. I'm open to all suggestions.

Thanks!
Well it was from around 2004 Serial F/D on some models the Rolex Rolex Rolex started on the Rehaut ring.The 16610 was introduced in 1988/9 with the introduction of the cal 3135 movement which is still current today.And the only changes to the 16610 over almost 30 years,now they have a solid end link bracelet from 2000 on, the change from Tritium dials to Luminover around 1998.A few minor font details, a LEC crystal thats the Rolex emblem etched on crystal its very hard to see.Plus the different case date stamps different prices over the years and thats about it.There is no ceramic insert on any 16610 they all have a perfectly functional aluminum insert thats quite easy and cheap to replace if even needed.And no matter what the serial any 16610 if serviced they will all perform the same, and all last 50 plus years with proper routine service.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2011, 05:26 PM   #10
Newportkrieger
Banned

Watch: GMT Master Pepsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by toph View Post
As for any difference the pre 1998 serial U , T etc going backwards will have Tritium hour markers and hands rather than Luminova which was introduced around 98 so A serail forward will say Swiss made on dial and pre A wil say swiss T<25 ( tritium as luminous paint) of course there will be the odd crossover.
it is only the 116610 that has the ceramic bezel.
hope that is of some help
Cheers
I own a 16610 U series I bought new that has the "swiss" lume dial. All the 16700 GMT "U" and "A" series I have seen are "swiss"lume dials as well.
Newportkrieger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2011, 06:51 PM   #11
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newportkrieger View Post
I own a 16610 U series I bought new that has the "swiss" lume dial. All the 16700 GMT "U" and "A" series I have seen are "swiss"lume dials as well.
Quite true but nothing is wriiten in stone with Rolex and all the letter serials are just a approximation when a case was stamped nothing more.Up till 1960 Rolex used the word SWISS then the dials were Radium, from 1960 on Rolex used (T.Swiss.T less than 277 MBq (7.5mCi) and (Swiss <T25 less than925 MBq 25mCi) on there dials depending on how much radioactivity they had used from 1960 till approximately 1998.Swiss only was then used with the change Luminovor from 1998 to 2000.,but have seen a few by the case letter 1998 Rolex still with the Tritium dial, then mainly after 2000 back to Swiss Made only now with Superluminovor .

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2011, 01:05 AM   #12
Bulliondesk
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Well it was from around 2004 Serial F/D on some models the Rolex Rolex Rolex started on the Rehaut ring.The 16610 was introduced in 1988/9 with the introduction of the cal 3135 movement which is still current today.And the only changes to the 16610 over almost 30 years,now they have a solid end link bracelet from 2000 on, the change from Tritium dials to Luminover around 1998.A few minor font details, a LEC crystal thats the Rolex emblem etched on crystal its very hard to see.Plus the different case date stamps different prices over the years and thats about it.There is no ceramic insert on any 16610 they all have a perfectly functional aluminum insert thats quite easy and cheap to replace if even needed.And no matter what the serial any 16610 if serviced they will all perform the same, and all last 50 plus years with proper routine service.
Thank you for the detailed response! Much appreciated!
Old 27 July 2011, 05:04 AM   #13
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulliondesk View Post
When was the G series produced?

Dec 08 - Present V 000,001
Jan 08 - Nov 08 M 000,001
July 06 - Dec 07 Z 000,001
Jan 05 - July 06 D 000,001
Jan 04 F 000,001
Sept 02 Y 000,001
August 01 K 000,001
April 00 P 000,004
1998-1999 A 000,002

Is this date series correct? Would there be a reason to purchase a Rehaut vs. Non Rehaut? Just trying to figure out all the little intricacies of the 16610 before I make a final decision.
!
No, this is not "correct" .. It is an absolute fabrication for any chart to affix start and stop dates to a Rolex serial number because nobody knows exactly when a serial prefix started, where it was shipped, or who bought it and what country it's in - they're guesses based on information from forums like this one... These Forums likely represent on a couple percent of aqctual watches bought/made

All serial prefix letters were used for several years and they all overlap.. Use such charts as approximations, not absolutes..

So, go out and find a watch that you like that is in the best condition you can find... then ask questions about that watch, not all watches in general..
Old 27 July 2011, 11:44 AM   #14
Bulliondesk
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
No, this is not "correct" .. It is an absolute fabrication for any chart to affix start and stop dates to a Rolex serial number because nobody knows exactly when a serial prefix started, where it was shipped, or who bought it and what country it's in - they're guesses based on information from forums like this one... These Forums likely represent on a couple percent of aqctual watches bought/made

All serial prefix letters were used for several years and they all overlap.. Use such charts as approximations, not absolutes..

So, go out and find a watch that you like that is in the best condition you can find... then ask questions about that watch, not all watches in general..
Understood. Thank you for your response!