The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 21 July 2018, 05:27 AM   #31
Burlington
"TRF" Member

About 1% of the population actually suffers from Coeliac disease. It's a genuine medical issue, and gluten must be avoided. Gluten intolerances on the other hand are more perception driven. If this is an issue you will see improvements cutting out gluten.

Otherwise, I would give a low GI diet a go to balance out energy levels through the day, but not cutting out whole food groups. In 99% of the population it's not necessary.

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2018, 05:28 AM   #32
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
i want to go to a restaurant and order extra gluten "on the side" just to see what they say. I like it so why cant i get more? they have leftovers clearly.
I buy it in one pound sacks from Amazon to add to bread recipes. It turns GP flour into bread flour in a couple teaspoons.
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2018, 05:31 AM   #33
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burlington View Post
About 1% of the population actually suffers from Coeliac disease. It's a genuine medical issue, and gluten must be avoided. Gluten intolerances on the other hand are more perception driven. If this is an issue you will see improvements cutting out gluten.

Otherwise, I would give a low GI diet a go to balance out energy levels through the day, but not cutting out whole food groups. In 99% of the population it's not necessary.
so is "restless leg syndrome"... but as soon as they named it and had a drug for it and played the advertisement on TV over and over again, lots of people all of a sudden had it too.

As soon as anyone hears a list of symptoms the self diagnosing begins.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2018, 05:33 AM   #34
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Quote:
so is "restless leg syndrome"... but as soon as they named it and had a drug for it and played the advertisement on TV over and over again, lots of people all of a sudden had it too.

My niece has Coeliacs and I carry the gene. She had dramatic and debilitating symptoms. I am completely unaffected. I think that most of the people who claim intolerance suffer from media induced placebo effect.
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2018, 05:37 AM   #35
Burlington
"TRF" Member

^^ Thats why there is a difference between genuine sufferers who are symptom free without gluten and it's the only recognised 'free-from' food claim at the EU level with a defined level of detection. And those who have self diagnosed intolerances and choose to avoid for lifestyle reasons. Coeliacs isn't a choice for those that have it.

Luckily RLS isn't advertised this side of the pond as you will know.....yet anyway

― Winston S. Churchill
Old 21 July 2018, 05:42 AM   #36
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
^^ Thats why there is a difference between genuine sufferers who are symptom free without gluten and it's the only recognised 'free-from' food claim at the EU level with a defined level of detection. And those who have self diagnosed intolerances and choose to avoid for lifestyle reasons. Coeliacs isn't a choice for those that have it.

Luckily RLS isn't advertised this side of the pond as you will know.....yet anyway
I dont think drug ads are allowed in the UK. I haven't seen one in 7 years so they must be banned. Its great though as in the US its "ask your doctor" about this or that drug. They are the doctors and should tell you want drugs you need, not the other way around. Otherwise i would question their competence as doctors in the first place if they need to be reminded.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
Old 21 July 2018, 05:45 AM   #37
Zakalwe
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I’m sure you’ll be shocked to learn that the commonly used drugs for this condition are very expensive.

Quote:
I dont think drug ads are allowed in the UK.
No, that’s the function of the Daily Bloody Mail
Zakalwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2018, 05:52 AM   #38
Burlington
"TRF" Member

(Luckily?) OfCom are pretty strict on many aspects of advertising, I’m not sure exactly where the line is drawn on medications in the uk as you do see OTC medications like heartburn and basic analgesia advertised but nothing like the US where basically anything seems to go.

― Winston S. Churchill
Old 21 July 2018, 05:54 AM   #39
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
(Luckily?) OfCom are pretty strict on many aspects of advertising, I’m not sure exactly where the line is drawn on medications in the uk as you do see OTC medications like heartburn and basic analgesia advertised but nothing like the US where basically anything seems to go.
it must be prescription drugs. Thats what i dont see over here. It seems to be every other commercial in the US though.
Old 21 July 2018, 05:56 AM   #40
Zakalwe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
You’ve pretty much got it. The line is drawn at OTC meds, which can be advertised to the general public. Prescription only meds cannot. Makes sense in a nationalised health system because of course the whole point is that punters, armed with the knowledge of Dr Google MD can’t go to their physician with a shopping list drawn from what that bloke off the telly said.

What people do instead is along the lines of, “my neighbour takes this drug and I hear him going at it like a jackhammer every night. Must be good stuff. Can I have it too?”
Zakalwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2018, 05:57 AM   #41
tng11
"TRF" Member

One of my cousins (bless her heart) does have Celiacs and it really is no laughing matter - she simply cannot eat anything that her parents have not cooked when they eat out, out of fear there is cross-contamination. Her father once accidentally mixed up the meals between sisters, and she ended up in the hospital violently ill for a few good days.

Aside from that, it's just another one of those fads, like all kinds of other diets. I dated a girl a few years back who was vegan and she basically forced me onto veganism... that was the worst two years of my life.

Now, I pretty much just eat whatever I want within reason and employing moderation, exercise and workout plenty, and I've never felt better or healthier in my life. Plenty of sleep has also been a deciding factor. Unfortunately I am mildly lactose intolerant and love cheese, but I am willing to suffer the consequences!
tng11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2018, 09:21 AM   #42
toxicavenger
"TRF" Member

Watch: Seiko's
Personally the best thing to do imp is to go to a Naturopathic doctor and have them do a full blood work for allergies. I had a milk, cranberry, mushroom allergy causing inflammation.
toxicavenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2018, 11:49 AM   #43
bdex75
"TRF" Member

Watch: my money vanish
Quote:
Originally Posted by wantonebad View Post
Tell me about it!! My wife read it too, threw away all my fruit and vegetables with seeds and skin and tossed anything that could potentially have PBA. All my tuperware is gone

I wanted to make some tomato sauce and had to peel all my tomatoes and deseed them...

My wife had not forced me into it yet. Resistance is still strong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
bdex75 is offline   Reply With Quote