The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 20 July 2018, 12:29 AM   #1
Glifahrenheitcam
"TRF" Member

Rolex submariner 16613 T validation

Hello all! I'm fairly new to Rolex and these forums, but I have just acquired my first Rolex, that being a submariner 16613 T two tone. I bought it from a seller off of here, that being Vinceb through his company timepiece perfection in Holland, PA. I did some research before purchasing and he and his company seem to have an established reputation.

Though I am 99.9999% sure that everything is good with this watch, it is my first Rolex, and not knowing as much as some of you guys, i'd just like some verification that everything on the watch checks out to you. I guess that there is always that little voice in the back of my head telling me to look further into the watch since there are a ton of fakes out there on the market.

The watch is in fantastic condition (at least in my opinion), came with box and papers, and it looks like everything is there. I've taken the watch to my local AD and the salesman said that everything looks correct. They also fitted the watch to me, removing two links. While removing the links, they confirmed that the watch case says 16613 and the watch number matches everything on the papers that I received.

Some of the pictures might be a little off center, but it is because it was difficult at times for me to get the camera to focus. I tried to take a picture of every aspect. I also hid the watch number on the paper and on the little tag because I guess that is what you are supposed to do?

I should also mention that when this watch was listed, it had a black bezel insert with silver numbers and tick marks. The seller and I agreed for him to switch that insert out for this one (black insert with gold numbers and tick marks).

It looks like I can't easily include a video on here, but the bezel only turns one way, the crown on the side does wind, and the second hand does have the very fast sweeping/ticking movement.

It also looks like I can't attach but so many pictures to a single post, so i'll be including multiple posts worth of pictures.

Like I said, if anyone can just chime in to assist me in verifying that everything appears to check out with this watch, that would be amazing.

If anyone feels that I should be taking better pictures or more pictures of certain areas, please let me know.

Thank you so much guys!

*Please note that I am not here to rip on anyone or their company. I am simply just trying to verify the authenticity of this watch since it is my first Rolex.*
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 28622031307_fcc46c6e56_b.jpg (155.5 KB, 501 views)
File Type: jpg 42791902314_f84360b915_b.jpg (170.0 KB, 497 views)
File Type: jpg 28622030917_5c5eb07fba_b.jpg (91.5 KB, 500 views)
File Type: jpg 42791902024_d9d9c2af5d_b.jpg (128.3 KB, 505 views)
File Type: jpg 28622030717_6234196d1d_b.jpg (187.7 KB, 496 views)
Glifahrenheitcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2018, 12:32 AM   #2
Glifahrenheitcam
"TRF" Member

second set of pics

More pictures incoming.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 41700853090_336383a37a_b.jpg (197.4 KB, 500 views)
File Type: jpg 41700853840_b028c77a80_b.jpg (100.0 KB, 495 views)
File Type: jpg 41700853600_67ba4520a9_b.jpg (119.0 KB, 498 views)
File Type: jpg 41700853310_d455b44a10_b.jpg (143.6 KB, 499 views)
File Type: jpg 42604187055_d5d230c807_b.jpg (169.0 KB, 502 views)
Old 20 July 2018, 12:36 AM   #3
Glifahrenheitcam
"TRF" Member

third set of pictures

More incoming.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 29637917588_65ae86a0a0_b.jpg (138.2 KB, 489 views)
File Type: jpg 43509062431_0cb16a823c_b.jpg (182.0 KB, 485 views)
File Type: jpg 29637918048_ff1e9e29c1_b.jpg (103.1 KB, 494 views)
File Type: jpg 43509062671_85a5e7e1cb_b.jpg (103.2 KB, 490 views)
File Type: jpg 29637918488_0a6c193811_b.jpg (104.4 KB, 488 views)
Old 20 July 2018, 12:38 AM   #4
Glifahrenheitcam
"TRF" Member

Last set of pictures I promise

Last set of pictures incoming. Thanks again everyone!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 43461258152_022629e584_b.jpg (93.3 KB, 494 views)
File Type: jpg 29637933948_7039c0e580_b.jpg (264.8 KB, 489 views)
File Type: jpg 43461258812_d0573f76e7_b.jpg (203.2 KB, 490 views)
File Type: jpg 29637934288_0520740103_b.jpg (115.7 KB, 491 views)
Old 20 July 2018, 12:59 AM   #5
MinMay
Banned

let's see the inside....
MinMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2018, 01:05 AM   #6
Glifahrenheitcam
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinMay View Post
let's see the inside....
If I had the proper equipment, I wouldn't mind removing the case back. However, upon reading through several forum pages, it looks like it would be a very bad idea for me to personally remove the back.

That being said, I wouldn't mind taking it somewhere to get the back removed and the internals inspected. My problem then would be finding where to take it.

Any suggestions?
Old 20 July 2018, 01:09 AM   #7
Phrank
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ♕
One piece of advice, take that bacteria ridden, horrible green sticker off the caseback before it rots a hole through the back....know it's a new watch to you, but I almost throw up a little in my mouth when I see this type of thing...20 years of skin, and other's people's gawd knows what growing in there....just my opinion.

Great looking watch though...congrats!
Phrank is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2018, 02:29 AM   #8
MinMay
Banned

no one has authenticated the inside...so that's probably your best bet if you're paranoid about it being real or not. Check yelp and read the reviews for recommendation.

And like Phrank said, I would have a huge problem letting that brown/green sticker touching my own skin. Gross.
MinMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2018, 03:42 AM   #9
Bigblu10
Banned

PIP and surround seem off. Bezel insert may not be genuine Rolex.
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2018, 05:16 AM   #10
Glifahrenheitcam
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrank View Post
One piece of advice, take that bacteria ridden, horrible green sticker off the caseback before it rots a hole through the back....know it's a new watch to you, but I almost throw up a little in my mouth when I see this type of thing...20 years of skin, and other's people's gawd knows what growing in there....just my opinion.

Great piece of advice haha, I honestly didn’t think too much into it...focused on other things I suppose. I’ll get around to it once I have a little more piece of mind on the watch as a whole.

And thanks!
Old 20 July 2018, 05:18 AM   #11
Glifahrenheitcam
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinMay View Post
no one has authenticated the inside...so that's probably your best bet if you're paranoid about it being real or not. Check yelp and read the reviews for recommendation.

And like Phrank said, I would have a huge problem letting that brown/green sticker touching my own skin. Gross.
Check yelp for a local place to authenticate the watch, or check yelp for reviews on the seller to get a better piece of mind?

And thanks on the sticker advice haha, it’ll be removed once I have better piece of mind over the watch as a whole.
Old 20 July 2018, 05:29 AM   #12
Glifahrenheitcam
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigblu10 View Post
PIP and surround seem off. Bezel insert may not be genuine Rolex.
Interesting. So this is the listing for the watch when it had the bezel insert that had silver numbers and tick marks:

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=613486

I then asked about switching the insert to the current one. He told me that he had “2 or 3 and one maybe new”...and that he would give me the better of the lot.

Is there a sure way to tell if the insert is genuine or not? And does the rest of the watch look okay to you?
Old 20 July 2018, 05:46 AM   #13
Knappo 1307
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sea Dweller
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glifahrenheitcam View Post
Interesting. So this is the listing for the watch when it had the bezel insert that had silver numbers and tick marks:

I then asked about switching the insert to the current one. He told me that he had “2 or 3 and one maybe new”...and that he would give me the better of the lot.

Is there a sure way to tell if the insert is genuine or not? And does the rest of the watch look okay to you?
Maybe you should invite vinceB to join the discussion...
Knappo 1307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2018, 05:51 AM   #14
Glifahrenheitcam
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knappo 1307 View Post
Maybe you should invite vinceB to join the discussion...
Not opposed at all, just trying to get other opinions. Vince told me that the watch is 100% original. He seems to have a good standing in the community, so I don’t doubt him by any means. That being said, I like to have other opinions on things like this and like for input from more people than just the seller. There seems to be more and more fakes that pop up throughout the years and i’d like to better ensure to myself that I have purchased an authentic piece.
Old 20 July 2018, 05:52 AM   #15
crowncollection
"TRF" Member

The rest of the watch looks good. Check that insert and a movement check is always advised when authenticating

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 20 July 2018, 06:02 AM   #16
Glifahrenheitcam
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowncollection View Post
The rest of the watch looks good. Check that insert and a movement check is always advised when authenticating

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sounds good, thank you for the info. What would be the best way to go about checking the insert, and is that something that I can do myself? Or is that something that will be verified at the time of getting the movement checked?

And then as for getting the movement checked, how should I go about that? When I went to my local AD, they said they could ship it off to Rolex but it would be something like a 4 week turn around. Is there a different way to go about this? Or is that the method that I should take? I don’t know who all is in my area that could authenticate the watch...a repair shop that sells used Rolex watches maybe? I’m not sure where to begin looking honestly.
Old 20 July 2018, 06:52 AM   #17
PRSWILL
"TRF" Member

The watch looks great- the bezel may not be authentic, but I think the rest looks great for that vintage.
PRSWILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2018, 08:35 AM   #18
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Not opposed at all, just trying to get other opinions. Vince told me that the watch is 100% original. . . .
This is not possible if you both agreed to change out the insert
Old 20 July 2018, 10:21 AM   #19
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:

Yes watch looks good. Bezel insert looks like a knock-off. Find a watchmaker with a Rolex parts account and have a genuine bezel insert installed. Should cost maybe 60 dollars or so.
Old 20 July 2018, 08:31 PM   #20
Onikage
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16628
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrank View Post

You forgot smelly.
ROLEXFANBOY P-Club Member #4
Onikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2018, 10:14 PM   #21
Glifahrenheitcam
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRSWILL View Post
The watch looks great- the bezel may not be authentic, but I think the rest looks great for that vintage.
What is the method for going about authenticating the bezel? And what indications point out that it may not be authentic? In looking at bezel inserts that are deemed authentic, I can't tell any major differences, other than maybe some bolder numbering and maybe just the slightest difference in the top "pip" piece?
Old 20 July 2018, 10:15 PM   #22
Glifahrenheitcam
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
This is not possible if you both agreed to change out the insert
Though there was agreement to swap out the insert, it was my understanding that the black/gold insert would still be authentic.
Old 20 July 2018, 10:17 PM   #23
Glifahrenheitcam
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yes watch looks good. Bezel insert looks like a knock-off. Find a watchmaker with a Rolex parts account and have a genuine bezel insert installed. Should cost maybe 60 dollars or so.
What's my best method to go about this? It would be choice if I could find someone to both authentic the internals of the watch and install a genuine insert. I'm in NC and don't mind driving a little bit to find the right company. I suppose that even the northern part of SC is an option as well.

I'm not terribly sure what to be researching when trying to find a watchmaker that can authenticate a Rolex.
Old 20 July 2018, 10:53 PM   #24
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
What's my best method to go about this? It would be choice if I could find someone to both authentic the internals of the watch and install a genuine insert. I'm in NC and don't mind driving a little bit to find the right company. I suppose that even the northern part of SC is an option as well.

I'm not terribly sure what to be researching when trying to find a watchmaker that can authenticate a Rolex.
Give Rik Dietel a call. Time Care Inc. 727-215-8870
Old 21 July 2018, 12:32 AM   #25
Glifahrenheitcam
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Give Rik Dietel a call. Time Care Inc. 727-215-8870
Thanks, i'll get in touch with him. Also, is there a place in these forums where I can find shops near me that can authenticate the watch? I would rather be able to take the watch to someone opposed to shipping it off. Not that i'm not shipping savvy, but shipping things like this feels a little different to me...if that makes sense.
Old 21 July 2018, 12:36 AM   #26
Glifahrenheitcam
"TRF" Member

insert comparison

Out of curiosity with the bezel insert, I am trying to better understand for myself what the differences are that lead one to believe that an insert is aftermarket. I found this one in the forums for comparison:

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthre...ht=16613+bezel

In looking at that insert (which is claimed to be authentic) and comparing it to mine, I honestly can't really tell a difference. The "4" on the "40" looks like it could be slightly different...maybe the top has a longer flatter edge than mine....or maybe i'm just forcing myself to find a difference.

Can anyone chime in to clarify a little more as for what I should be looking at to better decipher the difference between authentic and aftermarket?
Old 21 July 2018, 01:26 AM   #27
PRSWILL
"TRF" Member

Quote:
What is the method for going about authenticating the bezel? And what indications point out that it may not be authentic? In looking at bezel inserts that are deemed authentic, I can't tell any major differences, other than maybe some bolder numbering and maybe just the slightest difference in the top "pip" piece?
I sent you a PM with details.
PRSWILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2018, 01:28 AM   #28
Knappo 1307
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sea Dweller
Quote:
Out of curiosity with the bezel insert, I am trying to better understand for myself what the differences are that lead one to believe that an insert is aftermarket. I found this one in the forums for comparison:

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthre...ht=16613+bezel

In looking at that insert (which is claimed to be authentic) and comparing it to mine, I honestly can't really tell a difference. The "4" on the "40" looks like it could be slightly different...maybe the top has a longer flatter edge than mine....or maybe i'm just forcing myself to find a difference.

Can anyone chime in to clarify a little more as for what I should be looking at to better decipher the difference between authentic and aftermarket?
Just put it on and wear it. Honestly all of these questions should have been asked before the purchase.....
Knappo 1307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2018, 01:53 AM   #29
Glifahrenheitcam
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRSWILL View Post
I sent you a PM with details.
Old 21 July 2018, 02:00 AM   #30
Glifahrenheitcam
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knappo 1307 View Post
Just put it on and wear it. Honestly all of these questions should have been asked before the purchase.....
I have been wearing it. Questions were indeed asked before the purchase. These are questions that pertain to the opinions of others that aren't the seller. Vince told me that the watch is authentic...now i'm asking others to verify, or help me to verify. I'm asking for where to take it for verification, i'm asking if there are details of the watch that weren't mentioned between the seller and I, and so on.

For example, I was under the impression that the seller was going to switch the insert with a different colored, yet still authentic insert. He has told me a couple of times that everything on the watch is authentic. But now, thanks to the opinions of others, I see that the insert might not be authentic...and i'm looking into that now.