The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 14 April 2020, 01:54 AM   #1
DawgByte
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT IIc
Mechanical Question

With respect to Rolex, although I suppose it can apply to other mechanical watches, is it good to allow the watch to "rest" or suspend functioning or is better for the movement to keep it going? I would assume that if the watch is continuously functioning it will require more frequent servicing, due to parts wearing down.
DawgByte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2020, 01:57 AM   #2
iliketime
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570, 16710
although this question does come up for those who use a watch winder, it is debatable. Rolexes are very durable watches, there have been stories of rolexes that have gone decades without service and still worked fine. However I dont think I am really understanding your question. The watch stops when the mainspring winds down.
iliketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2020, 01:58 AM   #3
jamerson80
"TRF" Member

I have 20 watches, and only put one on a winder -- an annual calendar -- because of my annoyance in setting the thing correctly. The rest I keep in the watch boxes and avoid unnecessary wear and tear.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
jamerson80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2020, 02:02 AM   #4
89Sem
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Omega
My understanding is if it runs you are technically keeping everything operating and lubricated but of course there is wear and tear.

When it’s “resting” the parts aren’t moving and there is no wear and tear.

I personally let it rest and if it’s for extended periods of time wind it up occasionally to get things moving.
89Sem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2020, 02:02 AM   #5
DawgByte
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketime View Post
although this question does come up for those who use a watch winder, it is debatable. Rolexes are very durable watches, there have been stories of rolexes that have gone decades without service and still worked fine. However I dont think I am really understanding your question. The watch stops when the mainspring winds down.
Sorry I wasn't more clear. Let me try again. When you're not wearing the watch should you keep it wound and functioning or let it stop when the mainspring winds down?

It sounds like you're saying the Rolex is durable and it's okay to keep it continuously running.
Old 14 April 2020, 02:08 AM   #6
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
I would never put a time/date watch on a winder where it takes just a few moments to set it. If I am not wearing it, I just let it wind down.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2020, 02:09 AM   #7
campfire
"TRF" Member

I don't have a big collection. So I just wear my watches every few days/weeks so they're not stagnant for too long. It's never been a problem on decades old watches.

Other than that, I've had cheaper winders and they just didn't seem to work all that well. I think you have to spend for a good winder to make it worth the effort.

Not an expert on this, but that's been my own experience. Hope this helps even a little bit.
campfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2020, 02:20 AM   #8
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawgByte View Post
Sorry I wasn't more clear. Let me try again. When you're not wearing the watch should you keep it wound and functioning or let it stop when the mainspring winds down?

It sounds like you're saying the Rolex is durable and it's okay to keep it continuously running.

The answer can depend upon the time that you’re not wearing the watch. If this is just a matter of a couple of days between wearing it, you might just let it run. Not worth trying to stop/start it. The mainspring will run through it’s normal unwinding process. There is no potential wear & tear savings (if you subscribe to that belief).

But if it’s for an extended period of time like months or a year, then I subscribe to the benefit of winding it up once a week and letting it run down. Personally I do use a winder for a couple of those watches. My belief is the barrel lube and that in the jewel cups are kept in motion. The fact is I would have them serviced every 10 years whether they were idle half that time or in full use.

Just my 2¢

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2020, 02:42 AM   #9
DawgByte
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
The answer can depend upon the time that you’re not wearing the watch. If this is just a matter of a couple of days between wearing it, you might just let it run. Not worth trying to stop/start it. The mainspring will run through it’s normal unwinding process. There is no potential wear & tear savings (if you subscribe to that belief).

But if it’s for an extended period of time like months or a year, then I subscribe to the benefit of winding it up once a week and letting it run down. Personally I do use a winder for a couple of those watches. My belief is the barrel lube and that in the jewel cups are kept in motion. The fact is I would have them serviced every 10 years whether they were idle half that time or in full use.

Just my 2¢

Thank you, this helps.
Old 14 April 2020, 02:45 AM   #10
iliketime
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570, 16710
user 77T has provided a fantastic and succinct answer to your question.
iliketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2020, 03:37 AM   #11
Rolex-istanbul
"TRF" Member

I wear my watch all the time since I bought it in 2018.

It keeps perfect time currently 2 seconds fast in 2 years time.

I am afraid that I will loose this accuracy when I make the watch stop.

I dont want to disturb the harmony. I will give it to service every 6 years not 10.
Rolex-istanbul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2020, 03:45 AM   #12
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
With respect to Rolex, although I suppose it can apply to other mechanical watches, is it good to allow the watch to "rest" or suspend functioning or is better for the movement to keep it going? I would assume that if the watch is continuously functioning it will require more frequent servicing, due to parts wearing down.
All Rolex automatic movements wind in both directions for any non perpetual calendar watch with many complications, a watch winder is totally unnecessary.
If you have a choice of watches and do not wear it every day, it is not real chore to reset it and wind it by hand.If you don't wear it every day you also reduce wear to the movement components, why waste that benefit by having it wound when it is not required to tell the time on wrist?.And the modern synthetic oils used now by Rolex for the past 20 years do not dry out like the old mineral type oil.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2020, 03:48 AM   #13
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolex-istanbul View Post
I wear my watch all the time since I bought it in 2018.

It keeps perfect time currently 2 seconds fast in 2 years time.

I am afraid that I will loose this accuracy when I make the watch stop.

I dont want to disturb the harmony. I will give it to service every 6 years not 10.
You state 2 seconds fast in two years of wearing you must have a watch in 2000000000.

ICom Pro3

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Old 14 April 2020, 04:01 AM   #14
Rolex-istanbul
"TRF" Member

it correct mate but, I know how to regulate it.min 4kms of walk every day. min 8 hours of wearing and let is rest 3 days straights dial up 4 days straight crown down.

This is how I manage it. I dont want to loose this harmony.
Old 14 April 2020, 05:23 AM   #15
schoolboy
Banned

Watch: 116234
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamerson80 View Post
I have 20 watches, and only put one on a winder -- an annual calendar -- because of my annoyance in setting the thing correctly. The rest I keep in the watch boxes and avoid unnecessary wear and tear.

20 watches!?

Damn!

I have 4 and I thought it was getting out of hand
schoolboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2020, 06:08 AM   #16
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:

. . .
A watch that is running is incurring maximum wear.

A watch that is stopped is incurring zero wear.
Old 14 April 2020, 06:25 AM   #17
jamerson80
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoolboy View Post
20 watches!?

Damn!

I have 4 and I thought it was getting out of hand
I fear it only goes up from here. I have zero intent to sell any, so paralysis of choice is starting to become a real issue when I go to put one on each day

jamerson80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2020, 07:45 AM   #18
Bruce_Wayne
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116400GV Z-Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post

Just my 2¢

This is a reasonable recommendation.

Generally speaking from a reliability engineering perspective, equipment is more reliable during continuous operation versus intermittent. As the gear train moved the lubrication circulates uniformly and surfaces between the shafts and bearings wear evenly.

If the equipment is stationary for an extended period of time, flat spots will form where the shafts rest on the bearings (fretting). Lubrications also break down over time even if the equipment is not in use.
Bruce_Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2020, 07:50 AM   #19
schoolboy
Banned

Watch: 116234
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamerson80 View Post
I fear it only goes up from here. I have zero intent to sell any, so paralysis of choice is starting to become a real issue when I go to put one on each day

Haha that’s insane. I guess we’ll see what happens!
schoolboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2020, 03:02 PM   #20
Rolex-istanbul
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce_Wayne View Post
This is a reasonable recommendation.

Generally speaking from a reliability engineering perspective, equipment is more reliable during continuous operation versus intermittent. As the gear train moved the lubrication circulates uniformly and surfaces between the shafts and bearings wear evenly.

If the equipment is stationary for an extended period of time, flat spots will form where the shafts rest on the bearings (fretting). Lubrications also break down over time even if the equipment is not in use.
Probably this is the reason that my watch is perfectly holding the time over 2 years.

İ never let it stop. Damn i paid a lot of money for it, so he is gonna work :)
Old 15 April 2020, 02:45 AM   #21
RJRJRJ
"TRF" Member

All those watches sitting in the ADs case are not being wound.
RJRJRJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2020, 03:04 AM   #22
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJRJRJ View Post
All those watches sitting in the ADs case are not being wound.
Plus the fact take movements like the cal 3135 millions made in a year and can assure they are not made to order for any one case.Thousands down the COSC being tested thousands being returned to Rolex passed and failed.Thousands upon thousands stored on shelves for weeks, months, or even years,before any movement thats matched to a production case.So any movement could be weeks or months or years old stopped, then shipped around the world to the various ADs stored then sold.

ICom Pro3

www.mc0yad.club

Old 15 April 2020, 03:09 AM   #23
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Your Rolex is like a Toyota. Just lube it when needed and use it however you want to. It's fine either way.
Old 15 April 2020, 04:26 AM   #24
JerseyGMT
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT-Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEpro View Post
Your Rolex is like a Toyota. Just lube it when needed and use it however you want to. It's fine either way.
I would agree, based on my experience.

I purchased my current GMT Master new back in 1987. At the time I also had a Datejust (with tapesry dial) and an Explorer. For the first year I rotated the three watches, but eventually sold the Explorer and the Datejust. I have worn the GMT every day since then with few exceptions. Its been serviced 2 1/2 times in that time period. (The half time was when I took it to a local jeweler to have some engraving removed from the back of the case and they broke the crystal. They sent it to the local AD and he lubricated it and replaced the crystal. No cost to me.)

I wear it everywhere. Gym, ocean, shower, wrenching on my Sportster, etc.. Its not babied a bit. Still keeps great time. +/- 1 minute a week or more. One of the best purchases I have made.
JerseyGMT is offline   Reply With Quote