The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 23 June 2011, 01:11 PM   #1
tomfang
"TRF" Member

Watch: SUB-D(V)
904l

When does Rolex start to use 904L stainless steel? Does 16610 and 114270 also made by 904L steel?
tomfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2011, 01:22 PM   #2
Boothroyd
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Wilsdorf(s)
I know the new 214270 Explorer 1 39MM uses it today. My sense is that the 114270, with the model being discontinued, will not migrate to that material while in production. Can't speak to the 16610.
Old 23 June 2011, 01:56 PM   #3
Ray T
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116619 LB
http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=126819

early 1980s according to this thread
Ray T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2011, 02:28 PM   #4
HKtoter
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 Pepsi
1986-1988

LUG HOLE LOYALIST
HKtoter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2011, 07:37 PM   #5
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
904L for the case on the models you mentioned

The newer models are being made entirely of 904L - SS Sub, Exp1 & 2, DS (titanium caseback), GMT etc.
travisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2011, 08:18 PM   #6
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by travisb View Post
The newer models are being made entirely of 904L - SS Sub, Exp1 & 2, DS (titanium caseback), GMT etc.
Quite true but there is nothing magical about 904L over the industry norm of 316 L.And as far as I know only two watch companies use all or part 904 L for watch production.Sure 904L is very slightly more resistant to corrosive substances over 316L but to the average wearer would doubt if any real advantage today.The main and only difference between 316L over 904L it has slightly more Molybdenum(Mo)approx 2% more,and approx 1-2% more Crome(Cr), 1% more copper(Cu), and approximately 10% more nickel and thats it.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2011, 09:04 PM   #7
tomfang
"TRF" Member

Watch: SUB-D(V)
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Quite true but there is nothing magical about 904L over the industry norm of 316 L.And as far as I know only two watch companies use all or part 904 L for watch production.Sure 904L is very slightly more resistant to corrosive substances over 316L but to the average wearer would doubt if any real advantage today.The main and only difference between 316L over 904L it has slightly more Molybdenum(Mo)approx 2% more,and approx 1-2% more Crome(Cr), 1% more copper(Cu), and approximately 10% more nickel and thats it.
2 watch compaies, Rolex and?
tomfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2011, 09:04 PM   #8
brettpaul
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex and AP
Quote:

Thanks for the detailed knowledge Padi....now for the 16600 range of Sea Dwellers....weren't those also 100% 904L (case/back/bracelet)?

Thanks again!
brettpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2011, 09:09 PM   #9
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfang View Post
2 watch compaies, Rolex and?

A company called XOSkeleton watches

ICom Pro3

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Old 23 June 2011, 09:20 PM   #10
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettpaul View Post
Thanks for the detailed knowledge Padi....now for the 16600 range of Sea Dwellers....weren't those also 100% 904L (case/back/bracelet)?
Thanks again!
IMHO it was the case that was made from 904L the rest of the parts 904L and 316L but now Rolex state all 904L on there latest watches

Below is a quote from a Rolex employee way back in 2002 but might have altered now but would doubt if Rolex would say so.

Quote from Rolex employee in 2002.
At the moment, we have several companies all over the world, serving our needs for stainless steel. The watch case backs and bracelets are all mainly made from (X2CrNiMo17-12-2 S. steel)=( now that is the formula for 316L) which is the best compromise between the attributes of the variant materials. As usual, the steel is melted under vacuum, so we get an very pure base, which is easy to handle and allows for perfect polishing. I think, the same procedure as in every good gold manufacturing company.

ICom Pro3

www.mc0yad.club

Old 24 June 2011, 01:48 AM   #11
rad87gn
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, PAM, Omega
Quote:
The watch case backs and bracelets are all mainly made from (X2CrNiMo17-12-2 S. steel)=( now that is the formula for 316L).
That's interesting. When they stamp out the cases that should be 904L don't they use the center section that came out as the case back? Wouldn't that then also be 904L?
Rolex P-Series SS GMT II Black, Rolex Y-Series Sea-Dweller, Rolex F-Series TT Blue Sub, Rolex F-Series Sub LV, Rolex D-Series Ladies SS/WG DJ for wife, Panerai K-Series PAM 112, Omega Speedmaster Pro 3570.50, Omega Seamaster 300M Chrono 2594.52
rad87gn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2011, 05:21 AM   #12
tkc324
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona AP DD Sub
Quote:
IMHO it was the case that was made from 904L the rest of the parts 904L and 316L but now Rolex state all 904L on there latest watches

Below is a quote from a Rolex employee way back in 2002 but might have altered now but would doubt if Rolex would say so.

Quote from Rolex employee in 2002.
At the moment, we have several companies all over the world, serving our needs for stainless steel. The watch case backs and bracelets are all mainly made from (X2CrNiMo17-12-2 S. steel)=( now that is the formula for 316L) which is the best compromise between the attributes of the variant materials. As usual, the steel is melted under vacuum, so we get an very pure base, which is easy to handle and allows for perfect polishing. I think, the same procedure as in every good gold manufacturing company.
Padi, thanks for the detail. I am just curious if there are any difference in the polishing for 904 vs 316? How about hardness?
tkc324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2011, 06:41 PM   #13
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkc324 View Post
Padi, thanks for the detail. I am just curious if there are any difference in the polishing for 904 vs 316? How about hardness?
Not sure about the polishing side but 904L has a little bit more nickel so IMHO would look a bit more dull grey looking.As for hardness 904L is no harder than 316L, fact 316L can be harder than 904L its down to how the metal is tempered.The 904L grade of SS was brought out for industries that use high acid products like sulphuric acids.And even factories for the pickling trade using vinegar etc and desalination plants and not for the jewellery trade.Although 904L is more expensive than 316L one of the main reasons for this is simply demand, 316L sells in a much bigger proportion to 904L steels.

ICom Pro3

www.mc0yad.club

Old 24 June 2011, 11:49 PM   #14
Onikage
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16628
Doesn't the extra nickel account for the "brightness" of Rolexes? My other, I won't say lesser watches don't seem to have the same aura about them...
ROLEXFANBOY P-Club Member #4
Onikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2011, 12:27 AM   #15
Etur
"TRF" Member

Quote:
As padi correctly mentioned, the average user probably will never see any difference between 904L and 316L because if the average user, decide to take sulphuric acids shower, he will be dissolved much quicker then 316L start to show any pitting corrosion …
Etur is offline   Reply With Quote