The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 29 December 2020, 08:27 PM   #1
Token74
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
11:59 a future winner...

Just found this picture on Instagram. The 11:59 received a lot of bad press when launched and continued to be largely unloved. But it looks epic in this picture!

Having tried on a couple of the references, I’m a big fan of them in the flesh. They wear slightly smaller than their size suggests so work well in smaller wrists, but the wrist presence isn’t lost.

They are best when they have something going on with the dial, in this case a Tourbilon but sub-dials also work well.

I can see the 11:59 becoming a future classic and very popular watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Patek Philippe Nautilus 5990 - AP Royal Oak 15300 - AP Royal Oak 15450 Blue - AP Royal Oak 15450 Silver - AP Royal Oak Offshore 26480 - Royal Oak Offshore 15710 - Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 - Rolex Daytona 116519 - Rolex GMT 126710 BLRO - Omega Speedmaster Reduced - JLC Reverso GMT Moonphase - TAG Microtimer - Dent Pocket Watch - JLC Atmos Phases de lune
Token74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2020, 08:36 PM   #2
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Royal Oak
Agreed

AshAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2020, 08:46 PM   #3
AK797
Banned

Watch: ing ships roll in
Well that pic and that rendition are certainly an improvement on the original offerings.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2020, 08:56 PM   #4
sgwatchguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: R/AP/FPJ/Hermès/et
Agreed
Old 29 December 2020, 09:24 PM   #5
ts3
"TRF" Member

Great shot at first glance. Looking at it a little longer the watch remains a monstrosity beyond repair IMO unless they water it down to an extent where the original ideas are lost. Reminds me of BMW's early 2000s Bangle design which was also very edgy and nervous just to be different. Didn't get a lot of love then and doesn't look great now.
ts3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2020, 10:28 PM   #6
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
A future classic? It depends on how you define classic. But we are decades away from that moniker in my book. They are doing a better job with advertising and the watches are very nice. I believe this watch will never slide into the mainstream market based on price and availability and that maybe the point. Would I buy one, probably not. But I do like some of the options.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2020, 12:18 AM   #7
illiguy
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Growing more fond of the 11.59 each day.
illiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2020, 12:42 AM   #8
m3jasper
"TRF" Member

A big fan of the aventurine dial on both the QP and this tourbillon!

Will definitely get either to add to the collection as a “dress watch” at some point.
m3jasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2020, 02:22 AM   #9
guanxi
"TRF" Member

I certainly don’t regret getting my CODE QP, amazing watch and no doubt future classic!
guanxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2020, 03:12 AM   #10
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
they royal oak was initially hated. perhaps the CODE 1159 will follow the same path. still i look at the 3 hander in gold compared to an overseas 4500v and think there is not a chance i would buy the gold CODE 1159.

however, i am still a bit shocked they didn't do the same case design but flip it so the octagon is on the outside and the circle is on the inside but keep the lug design the same. this would have been a home run to me. the could have softened the octagon lines as well to make it less angular. it could have been a stunner.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2020, 03:12 AM   #11
HMHM
"TRF" Member

The problem is that the basic code isn't really attractive but the higher end ones with the aventurine dial like the perpetual calendar, the tourbillon and the open worked those are a stunner! The basic three hand CODE feels weird with the placement of the 3,6,9 on the dial. I think most people don't have a problem with AP releasing a new line-up beside the RO but the dial was the problem. And for me... the biggest problem is that Patek Philippe make pretty good dress watches in that same price range.
HMHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2020, 03:16 AM   #12
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by HMHM View Post
The problem is that the basic code isn't really attractive but the higher end ones with the aventurine dial like the perpetual calendar, the tourbillon and the open worked those are a stunner! The basic three hand CODE feels weird with the placement of the 3,6,9 on the dial. I think most people don't have a problem with AP releasing a new line-up beside the RO but the dial was the problem. And for me... the biggest problem is that Patek Philippe make pretty good dress watches in that same price range.
one could argue the cellini is a better option than the 3 hander code.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2020, 04:46 AM   #13
eiesh
"TRF" Member

+1.

I think a steel version should also be considered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Token74 View Post
Just found this picture on Instagram. The 11:59 received a lot of bad press when launched and continued to be largely unloved. But it looks epic in this picture!

Having tried on a couple of the references, I’m a big fan of them in the flesh. They wear slightly smaller than their size suggests so work well in smaller wrists, but the wrist presence isn’t lost.

They are best when they have something going on with the dial, in this case a Tourbilon but sub-dials also work well.

eiesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2020, 04:55 AM   #14
Pw92676
"TRF" Member

I am a sucker for a tourbillon so IMO you could fit an invicta with one and I’d drool.
That said, the 11:59 tourbillon is absolutely brilliant and the design lends itself perfectly for incorporating the complication. I do indeed think this works better than the chronograph or standard dial. Interestingly I think that if this was released first, there would have been a lot of excitement and then the release of the other versions a year later would have been a bigger success.
Pw92676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2020, 06:41 AM   #15
Mbbgysam
2024 Pledge Member

I think the 3 hander and flyback chrono are evolving in the right direction. I saw the smoked dials in the metal and was blown away, as opposed to feeling so underwhelmed by the initial releases. The bicolor metal cases also work well to highlight the octagonal middle case.

The flyback caliber 4400 is really a standout in person. The vertical clutch, column wheel, and triplet hammer and springs are so fun to watch when activating the chrono. I’ve read some criticisms that it’s too industrial looking, but I actually think it’s appropriate and in line with some of the other more industrial feeling APRP calibers.

All that to say, I may or may not have bought one
Mbbgysam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2020, 08:13 AM   #16
Vivalas
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
I think it’s a slow burner. They are growing on me the more I see them. Not being liked by the masses initially isn’t necessarily a bad thing. The Daytona wasn’t popular years ago and apparently didn’t sell well. Some think the Nautilus looks like a 1970’s TV set.
Vivalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2020, 08:35 AM   #17
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
still a hard no for me.
Old 30 December 2020, 09:53 AM   #18
dauster
"TRF" Member

as stated before when I tried them on exactly a year ago I would have liked to buy one but price is close to 30k and chrono at 45k-50 range just makes it impossible for me to pull the trigger - too many better watches in this price range. new price increase just makes it stupid. if priced around 20k for time only and close to 30k for chrono I would consider them.
dauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2020, 12:37 PM   #19
7sins
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Token74 View Post

Isn't MSRP on this something crazy like 400k?

This one isn't so bad but there are so many other watches at this price point I would rather have

Richard Mille RG RM030 || Richard Mille RM72ti || AP 26240 50TH Green Royal Oak Chrono || AP Royal Oak Blue JUMBO SS 15202ST || AP ROO Diver Green 15720ST || ♕ Rolex Platinum Daytona Diamond 116506 || Cartier Santos
7sins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2020, 12:48 PM   #20
chiscott_29
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, ALS, Omega
I absolutely love my Code - I have reached for it the most in the month since I've had it and I don't think it's simply because it's "new".

I really like the entire line and think it has a very bright future for AP. I feel it's well positioned as people begin to stop focusing purely on the sports models.

I also think the days are coming to and end where buying a Code is a ticket to a hotter model. So, for those of you on the fence, I say strike while you can because next year at this time I don't see the Code as a gateway and it will be standing just fine on its own.
Old 30 December 2020, 02:50 PM   #21
Reign
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7sins View Post
Isn't MSRP on this something crazy like 400k?

This one isn't so bad but there are so many other watches at this price point I would rather have

The code tourbillon is decent value and priced at $135k. Royal oak tourbillons in steel start at $150k and the Code tourbillon is wrapped in precious metal (albeit on a strap).

I would’ve considered the new aventurine tourbillons but it doesn’t make sense when I already have the two toned time only and perpetual.

As chiscott has mentioned, the days of buying a time only Code to get a 15500 or jumbo is gone, that ship has sailed. Only buy it if you like it. Some of the time only colors are now sold out at major boutiques and you’ll have to hop on the waitlist (the two tones), although the delivery window is far more predictable than other models.

Don’t let social media or the forums fool you, these are doing much better than what some may lead you to believe
Reign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2020, 12:48 PM   #22
ChipWong
"TRF" Member

Nah
ChipWong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2020, 01:11 PM   #23
woowoo
Banned

Certain references and configurations and dials yes, others no.

Though AP is bringing models in and out of production in such a weird way lately, nothing they are making these days will become a classic because they are making too few or because models are being forgotten about or replaced too quickly.
woowoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2020, 01:23 PM   #24
guanxi
"TRF" Member

It has its place amongst the best!

guanxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2020, 09:18 PM   #25
Swaye
"TRF" Member

Watch: What I am wearing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dauster View Post
as stated before when I tried them on exactly a year ago I would have liked to buy one but price is close to 30k and chrono at 45k-50 range just makes it impossible for me to pull the trigger - too many better watches in this price range. new price increase just makes it stupid. if priced around 20k for time only and close to 30k for chrono I would consider them.
That's my issue as well. I have grown quite a bit more fond of the CODEs over the last year, but at their price points competition is fierce. I'd spend 45K on an FPJ RG Havana Lune LONG before I'd spend it on a CODE Chrono. At pretty much any price point I'd rather have an FPJ, and in some cases Patek, than the CODE. Doesn't mean I don't like the CODEs, there are just other watches I prefer.
Swaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2020, 09:19 PM   #26
Swaye
"TRF" Member

Watch: What I am wearing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by guanxi View Post

That is a stunning set!
Swaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2021, 01:42 AM   #27
Famz_01
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP and Rolex
Wow

Incredible

Quote:

Famz_01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2021, 02:06 AM   #28
chiscott_29
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, ALS, Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaye View Post
That's my issue as well. I have grown quite a bit more fond of the CODEs over the last year, but at their price points competition is fierce. I'd spend 45K on an FPJ RG Havana Lune LONG before I'd spend it on a CODE Chrono. At pretty much any price point I'd rather have an FPJ, and in some cases Patek, than the CODE. Doesn't mean I don't like the CODEs, there are just other watches I prefer.
As much as I have warmed up to the Code and gotten on board, I totally understand this sentiment. I got the time/date before the last round of price increases (and of course before the one coming next week). Even at that price I thought "would I rather have an FPJ CS for slightly more, or a brand new VC Overseas?" I can't say I'd be up for dropping $30k on a time/date code, which is what I believe the new MSRP will be starting next week.

In the end, I took a bit of a gamble and went with the Code. I like the watch for sure and I felt it fit better into my collection, but I won't lie and say it wasn't also a "tactical" decision that I hope will result in a leg up to get other models down the line.
Old 1 January 2021, 04:21 AM   #29
Token74
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
Quote:

Wow. Enough said.

Patek Philippe Nautilus 5990 - AP Royal Oak 15300 - AP Royal Oak 15450 Blue - AP Royal Oak 15450 Silver - AP Royal Oak Offshore 26480 - Royal Oak Offshore 15710 - Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 - Rolex Daytona 116519 - Rolex GMT 126710 BLRO - Omega Speedmaster Reduced - JLC Reverso GMT Moonphase - TAG Microtimer - Dent Pocket Watch - JLC Atmos Phases de lune
Token74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2021, 09:40 AM   #30
eiesh
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Stunning. So what’s next for your AP collection ?

eiesh is offline   Reply With Quote