The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 31 October 2020, 10:37 AM   #1
MrGoat
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16613
Anyone ever tried CBD products for their animals?

My dog is 9 and while playing in the yard earlier he pulled his shoulder and has been limping since. This isn’t the first time it’s happened to that shoulder over the last few months and he seemed to limp a little harder this time so I went to two different pet stores to find dog aspirin. Anyways, while I was there the girl that took me to the dog aspirin suggested cbd. She told me all about how it’s helped her pets so I bit and purchased a sack of cbd dog treats for hip and joint. Got home and gave him the recommended dose of dog aspirin and two cbd treats to add to his food so he ate the aspirin. Recommended dosage is 8 treats a day for a dog his size (115lbs). I’m curious to know if any of you have used cbd and how they worked with your pets. Would you recommend them? Did they change behavior? Are they safe? I realize I should have asked these questions before I got them for him but I was just trying to find anything to help him feel better at the time. As of an hour and change of eating it all he’s peacefully sleeping at the foot of the bed and looks his normal happy self with a slightly stoned look in his eyes.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MrGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2020, 10:47 AM   #2
Goin2drt
Banned

Subscribed to listen in.

Recently our lab has been diagnosed with pretty good arthritis in his back and pretty painful. Vet says not much you can do but manage the pain so he is on a daily dose of pain meds that make him feel great.

I was thinking about CBD as I assume it has to be better than a narcotic.
Goin2drt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2020, 11:11 AM   #3
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Believe it or not, there are animal chiropractors that do dogs, cat, horses......I know that’s a visual.

A few years ago we took one of our dogs that was about 14 in because he was limping around and not doing well. 2 visits and he was 5 years younger. We were amazed.

We found the lady through our vet.

Just an option.
Old 31 October 2020, 11:23 AM   #4
ltmgeller
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
My wife tried it (on our dogs) but didn't see much of a difference.
Old 31 October 2020, 12:03 PM   #5
Pw92676
"TRF" Member

We have not tried it but a friend of ours is a dog groomer who says many of her clients are pleased with the results. Sorry I know it’s not very helpful but that’s the only info I have. Subscribed here for more info.
Pw92676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2020, 12:14 PM   #6
MrGoat
2024 Pledge Member

Thanks everyone for the responses so far. We are going to try it at half the recommended dosage and see what happens. Two with his morning food and two with his evening food and see the results after a week or so and keep everyone updated.

Old 31 October 2020, 12:28 PM   #7
AG23
"TRF" Member

I used CBD for my arthritic weimaraner from the age of 11 I think and it worked wonders. She went from walking 20 paces behind me to being 20 ahead as she had done for her first 10 years. The benefits lessened as she aged and the arthritis worsened but it made a big difference for a good while.

She also stopped attacking german shepherds, which she had done from a young age after being attacked by them on 3 seperate occasions. I can’t be certain that was the CBD oil, but it coincided perfectly timewise.
AG23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2020, 12:35 PM   #8
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
As the owner of veterinary hospitals, I have to stress the Veterinary Medical Board does not endorse nor approve the use of CBD products. That being said, I cannot say that it does harm. First thing...I don't know what breed of dog you have, but if it's not a very large breed dog, you might consider getting some weight off. Next, there are many supplements and NSAIDS available for joint pain. PM me if you want to know a little more about effective, non-pharmaceutical treatments.
pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2020, 01:03 PM   #9
martinr
"TRF" Member

My former wife gave her dog CBD for separation anxiety. It made my ex feel great.
martinr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2020, 10:16 PM   #10
MrGoat
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickettt View Post
As the owner of veterinary hospitals, I have to stress the Veterinary Medical Board does not endorse nor approve the use of CBD products. That being said, I cannot say that it does harm. First thing...I don't know what breed of dog you have, but if it's not a very large breed dog, you might consider getting some weight off. Next, there are many supplements and NSAIDS available for joint pain. PM me if you want to know a little more about effective, non-pharmaceutical treatments.

Thanks. He is a Berger Blanc Suisse and he is not overweight just quite large
for his breed. I purchased the only OTC pain meds I could find yesterday evening and it’s just aspirin made for dogs.

UPDATE- this morning the limp is much less pronounced and he was very energetic this morning. This could be because we have our first chill of the year and it’s a refreshing 65 degrees outside. Or it could be the combination of the dog aspirin and the CBD and the weather. I feel the CBD mellowed him out as he didn’t move around to different spots during the night (giving his shoulder rest and helping the aspirin relieve inflammation). I am stopping the aspirin unless pain shows up again and the limp becomes more pronounced. Giving him cbd treats (1/2 dosage) and will continue to monitor. I do not plan to use them daily when we get past the limp.

Old 1 November 2020, 12:32 AM   #11
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

I use CBD for my dog’s anxiety in the car. He usually pants the whole time which makes a 2 hour drive to the mountains unpleasant for us all. A small crate helps but is a tremendous hassle. We also tried calming vests to no advantage.

The CBD treats absolutely worked for this when given about an hour before the ride. As he does not have joint issues, I cannot comment on its effects on this issue.

FWIW, you can buy adult drops and dose much more cost effectively than the treats.

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
JasoninDenver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2020, 12:39 AM   #12
330ci
"TRF" Member

Given my dog CBD and RSO(psychoactive, only available med/rec) with great results. We gave it a try to reduce the size of a growth on her eye. It’s still visible, but it’s much smaller and doesn’t seem to be putting pressure on her tear duct anymore. The other option was surgical removal which could’ve cost her sight in the eye. It’s non cancerous allegedly so we just monitor it at this point. Only treated her with cbd/thc for a few weeks. She was happy to take it, can never get her to eat medicine no matter how we try to hide it. Seemed to improve her mood quite a bit as well. She’s a bit older and definitely was a bit more sprung when she took it.
330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2020, 01:09 AM   #13
MrGoat
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasoninDenver View Post
I use CBD for my dog’s anxiety in the car. He usually pants the whole time which makes a 2 hour drive to the mountains unpleasant for us all. A small crate helps but is a tremendous hassle. We also tried calming vests to no advantage.

The CBD treats absolutely worked for this when given about an hour before the ride. As he does not have joint issues, I cannot comment on its effects on this issue.

FWIW, you can buy adult drops and dose much more cost effectively than the treats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330ci View Post
Given my dog CBD and RSO(psychoactive, only available med/rec) with great results. We gave it a try to reduce the size of a growth on her eye. It’s still visible, but it’s much smaller and doesn’t seem to be putting pressure on her tear duct anymore. The other option was surgical removal which could’ve cost her sight in the eye. It’s non cancerous allegedly so we just monitor it at this point. Only treated her with cbd/thc for a few weeks. She was happy to take it, can never get her to eat medicine no matter how we try to hide it. Seemed to improve her mood quite a bit as well. She’s a bit older and definitely was a bit more sprung when she took it.

Awesome!! It’s good to hear the positive results. It seems to be helping, the treats have this odd chemical smell to them though which I don’t like. Thus they will probably be given sparingly. Is there a brand you all prefer? They had two different brands, I went with the first which had a specific purpose of hip and joint. However the girl helping me said some lady come in and buys the other brand in a balm form because her doc told her to use the dog cbd.

Old 1 November 2020, 02:05 AM   #14
Knappo 1307
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Sea Dweller
We've tried cbd oil with one of our rescue dogs with mixed results.
Knappo 1307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2020, 01:42 AM   #15
MrGoat
2024 Pledge Member

Anyone ever tried CBD products for their animals?

So an update gentlemen, the dog has been on a medium to full dosage of the cbd for most of the time since this thread started. There was about a week where it stopped. He had another episode with pain and subsequent limping about the weeks end of no CBD. So I tried dog aspirin and it didn’t help so much. Purchased more cbd and paired it with dog aspirin and after a day he was fine. Now it’s just another mid to full recommended dose of the CBD treats daily and it seems to have alleviated the problem and he’s bouncing around like he was when he was a puppy. I will continue a daily dosage of the CBD as I don’t want him to be in pain if we can keep from it.