The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 31 October 2020, 06:27 AM   #31
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3970
Quote:
Originally Posted by winst View Post
Just looked her up on LinkedIn - she needs to change her employment status. Good luck to her in finding a new job.
She already has one lined up from what I understand.
Bearxj86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2020, 07:14 AM   #32
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

In a nutshell, can someone explain why Kelly is so important as to get her own thread here . Not saying she isn’t so important, I just genuinely would like to know why.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2020, 07:54 AM   #33
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Cosmograph Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR16 View Post
In a nutshell, can someone explain why Kelly is so important as to get her own thread here . Not saying she isn’t so important, I just genuinely would like to know why.

The gatekeeper of the PP Tiffany dial.

https://www.gq.com/story/patek-phili...ial-kelly-yoch
jb335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2020, 10:12 AM   #34
w220
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb335 View Post
And that right there was the problem.
w220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2020, 10:16 AM   #35
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by w220 View Post
kelly has left the chat
dauster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2020, 11:00 AM   #36
wholecz
"TRF" Member

Watch: black
She is heading to WoS.
wholecz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2020, 11:17 AM   #37
jamestucker
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by w220 View Post
What was the problem ?
jamestucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2020, 11:47 AM   #38
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

WoS, good call Kelly!

Maybe she maxed out (and/or too constrained to a single brand) at Tif and can go much further with WoS.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2020, 12:12 PM   #39
77T
2024 Pledge Member

BREAKING: Kelly Yoch no longer at Patek Salon

Her 12 years at Tiffany & Co really took a hockey stick rise over past 4-5 years as PP demand went from super-strong to stratospheric. Problem is with constrained supply, one is capped in upward earning power.

Management isn’t going to reduce their cut to increase your income, PP isn’t growing output quickly enough, and the cost to live as one might wish keeps soaring. I have zero insight to her particular situation. I just know how top performers wish for continual growth.

Wishing her a strong close ratio and aspirational success. Never send chocolate - it really plays havoc with one’s healthy regimen.

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2020, 01:10 PM   #40
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb335 View Post

https://www.gq.com/story/patek-phili...ial-kelly-yoch

Thx

JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2020, 11:48 PM   #41
jltait
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116200
Maybe with the acquisition by LVMH it will become the Hublot salon.
jltait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2020, 10:22 AM   #42
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Cosmograph Daytona
Article up on Hodinkee about her leaving Patek and going to Watches of Switzerland.

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/ke...ector-of-clien

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jb335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2020, 10:23 AM   #43
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
Kelly has done well! Now she is a key management figure in one of the largest AD group in the world!

GQ called Yoch "the most important person in the watch world" and "the high priestess of horology."
Ichiran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2020, 06:15 PM   #44
Pongster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiran View Post
GQ called Yoch "the most important person in the watch world" and "the high priestess of horology."
Is this due to her personal attributes?

Or could this be attributed to the position she held then?
Pongster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2020, 07:50 PM   #45
nda
"TRF" Member

I am sure she is a lovely person, but selling Pateks isn't exactly a tough gig. As the article said, she's just moving glasses of water around in the desert.
nda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2020, 08:44 PM   #46
Passionata
"TRF" Member

Watch: the girls
Quote:
Originally Posted by nda View Post
I am sure she is a lovely person, but selling Pateks isn't exactly a tough gig. As the article said, she's just moving glasses of water around in the desert.
+1 exactly

"Also remember that feet don't get fat and a watch will always speak volumes." Robert Johnston
---------------------
*new*https://youtu.be/EljAF-uddhE *new *

http://youtu.be/ZmpLoO1Q8eQ
IG @passionata1
Passionata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2020, 12:56 AM   #47
Pongster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
If it were sand she was selling instead ....
Pongster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2020, 01:58 AM   #48
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

This is a coup for WOS, as her book of business and client list is absolutely extraordinary.

Her challenge will be unravel her existing clients thirst for "Tiffany" Patek and convert that into thirst for what WOS offers....along with growing current WOS clients. The Tiffany merger will certainly help as that will dilute the "Tiffany" cache on Patek.

I knew a guy who held this capacity regionally for Mayors. Once clients reached a certain spend level and were focusing on high end complications, then their purchases were funneled through him...he often hand delivered references to residence accompanied by factory reps...etc. We are talking about the highest possible level of service.

I know VC was pushing very hard for a bigger share in this world and would essentially do whatever it took to get more share of wallet from these clients. It will be interesting to see where this goes with WOS...that is if that sort of thing is of interest.
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2020, 02:25 AM   #49
daOnlyBG
"TRF" Member

Watch: yes, it's hipster
Quote:
On the contrary.

You have a few dozen (or more?) clients all competing to buy that Tiffany-dialed 5711. Unlike most retail walk-ins, these clients earn well into the 6/7-figure range, and unlike most retail walk-ins, each of them have spent enough to deserve whatever watch they want.

But she receives no more than 1-2 Tiffany-signed 5711s per year, and she has to find a way to (1) decide to which clients she will offer it, and (2) somehow mitigate the disappointment of everyone else so that they can keep coming back for more purchases.

Unlike most Rolex/Patek ADs, the Tiffany salons are where all the VVIPs congregate. They have big budgets and big expectations- and she has to manage those simultaneously.
Old 3 November 2020, 02:38 AM   #50
KBM
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daOnlyBG View Post
On the contrary.

You have a few dozen (or more?) clients all competing to buy that Tiffany-dialed 5711. Unlike most retail walk-ins, these clients earn well into the 6/7-figure range, and unlike most retail walk-ins, each of them have spent enough to deserve whatever watch they want.

But she receives no more than 1-2 Tiffany-signed 5711s per year, and she has to find a way to (1) decide to which clients she will offer it, and (2) somehow mitigate the disappointment of everyone else so that they can keep coming back for more purchases.

Unlike most Rolex/Patek ADs, the Tiffany salons are where all the VVIPs congregate. They have big budgets and big expectations- and she has to manage those simultaneously.
Yes, that sounds like a very intricate professional activity

You can almost hear all those grown men crying that she left Tiffany and they have to start over.
KBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2020, 02:48 AM   #51
daOnlyBG
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBM View Post
Yes, that sounds like a very intricate professional activity

You can almost hear all those grown men crying that she left Tiffany and they have to start over.
Haha, I mean... yeah.
Old 3 November 2020, 03:00 AM   #52
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
On the contrary.

Very true
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2020, 05:38 AM   #53
MadSpaniard
"TRF" Member

Quote:
On the contrary.

With due respect, I'm not so sure I would agree, I think that's still a fairly straightforward job to do, it's called being attentive, respectful, polite, empathetic and fair.

Seems to me that the opposite scenario, i.e. selling lots of readily available units languishing in inventory to relatively few interested and qualified prospective clients, would be much more difficult and impressive to achieve.

That's the true hallmark of great sales/marketing people - they create demand where there previously was none. By all accounts Kelly is a wonderful person and a pleasure to deal with. But I'm not sure we can credit her for creating the 5711 craze of recent years. Cheers.
MadSpaniard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2020, 06:51 AM   #54
quakeroatmeal
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mickey Watch
She's with Watches of Switzerland now.

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/ke...ector-of-clien
quakeroatmeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2020, 09:33 AM   #55
daOnlyBG
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadSpaniard View Post
With due respect, I'm not so sure I would agree, I think that's still a fairly straightforward job to do, it's called being attentive, respectful, polite, empathetic and fair.

Seems to me that the opposite scenario, i.e. selling lots of readily available units languishing in inventory to relatively few interested and qualified prospective clients, would be much more difficult and impressive to achieve.

That's the true hallmark of great sales/marketing people - they create demand where there previously was none. By all accounts Kelly is a wonderful person and a pleasure to deal with. But I'm not sure we can credit her for creating the 5711 craze of recent years. Cheers.
Where did I credit her for creating the 5711 craze? I didn't even imply as much. It's not really her fault (or accomplishment?) that the shop only gets 1-2 each year with the Tiffany logo. Nor did I credit her with doing anything on the demand side: she's not likely to be telling walk-ins "hey, admire the 5711, it should totally be your grail watch."

When I said that she has to have the highly qualified spenders/collectors coming back despite not getting the 5711, I'd like to think the implication that "she has to sell them watches"- that is, watches that are "readily available units languishing in inventory"- is rather obvious.

Yes, someone with a "attentive, respectful, polite, empathetic and fair" persona deserves admiration and respect in return. I do wonder, though, how easy it is for someone having spent $500,000 on Calatravas and annual calendars to wait yet another year for their Nautilus to return that kindness to Ms. Yoch herself. I think it's naive to expect most clients with deep spending histories to not lost their s**t when they don't get the piece they're looking for.

It's not easy to keep the clients loyal and happy and coming back. But that's just what Ms. Yoch did to rightly earn her stellar reputation.

Last edited by daOnlyBG; 3 November 2020 at 09:43 AM.. Reason: grammar
daOnlyBG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2020, 11:18 AM   #56
PPcollector
"TRF" Member

Article on Kelly Yoch:

https://collectability.com/community...ew-kelly-yoch/

Interesting read Q/A
PPcollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2020, 12:07 PM   #57
sambb
"TRF" Member

so she is a high end succeesful sales woman. good luck to her.
sambb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2020, 12:25 PM   #58
77T
2024 Pledge Member

BREAKING: Kelly Yoch no longer at Patek Salon

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPcollector View Post
Article on Kelly Yoch:

https://collectability.com/community...ew-kelly-yoch/

Interesting read Q/A

Yes, interesting answers to many of the questions posed in this thread.

As I posted earlier, I wish her the best as the gig at Tiffany’s PP seat had pretty much played out. Remember, individual contributors facing constrained inventory don’t have great upward growth.

The Merger also tended to cap upward mobility as more mgmt. redundancy would need sorting before a Directorship might have become her next step there. Also, that WOS was willing to create the Director role for her is a vote of confidence in her unmistakeable relationship effectiveness. Now the challenge will be how well she can teach, develop and grow that skillset among the WOS showrooms in the United States, and Rolex, Breitling and Omega boutiques.

I hope WOS understands that Kelly needs a span of control including direct reports inside those places. Some sort of brand manager souls or ambassadors who will sing success psalms to high net worth clients that yield results. I doubt WOS US gets a greater number or incoming PP’s than Tiffany’s, so her client list isn’t going to provide better results methinks.

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2020, 10:43 PM   #59
ywodntu
"TRF" Member

I feel like this is the "elephant in the room" right now - this is a very small universe:

Take this article with a grain of salt...Collectability is John Reardon, Kelly and John are life long friends in the industry whom work in tandem to control their "clients" and the flow of the sales. This is far more coordinated than most imagine.

The Hoodinkee article comments are becoming comical. However, Kelly deserves credit for utilizing social media far better and sooner than Tiffany or Patek with the help of Jasem (Patekaholic). They have done a great job sparking the IG accounts of Patek heavy IG pages. Which I think is generally good and this is why there is some relevance to the spat of articles about her move.

However, in addition to the above - Kelly has the clients she has due to her specific surroundings at the Patek Salon at Tiffany and her level of contact and influence inside US Patek. Time will tell what resources WoS gives her to replicate or grow the niche and if US Patek continues to support Kelly in her special requests.
ywodntu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 November 2020, 05:28 AM   #60
UmichNJ
"TRF" Member

Quote:
On the contrary.

I think this is exactly right. However, I would also say that I tremendously respect her view on curating a collection. She helped me look at things that were a little less hot (eg 5146g) that I now consider one of my most favorite pieces. She works very hard to make sure pieces get in the hands of collectors that will wear and treasure them. Finally, she was always a very good advocate for her client base when it came time to allocate watches like the 5522 and 5711.
UmichNJ is offline   Reply With Quote