The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 27 April 2013, 05:15 AM   #1
Sir Larry Wildman
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, FPJ, IWC
Help with first Patek

Hello all -

I was hoping to get some opinions from you all. I have long been a huge Patek enthusiast. In about 1.5 years time, I will be able to cash in on a pretty sizable amount of bonus money and would love to celebrate it with a Patek. The only issue is, I don't know where to begin!

When I look at the website, I get overwhelmed. My local Patek AD doesn't hold alot of inventory after two robberies, so I don't get to see many in person. I wish this was a case of go for what what catches your eye the most, but I don't have $200,000 to spend on a timepiece.

I was hoping I could keep it in the $25,000 USD and under range. I like the 5711/1A Nautilus, but already have an Omega Planet Ocean 8500, so I don't really want a watch with a bracelet. I also do not like any of the Aquanauts. Any suggestions on what models to look at?
Sir Larry Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2013, 05:38 AM   #2
Oryx
"TRF" Member

If you are looking to buy brand new and do not like any of the Aquanauts then a dress watch such as a Calatrava may be most suitable.

Have a look at the 5296 or the 5119. The 5296 with sector dial is one of my favourites.

You will have to stretch your budget if you plan to buy brand new and from an AD.

If you want a complication - then have a look at the 5146 or 5396 too. But these will be in the $40-50K USD range.
Oryx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2013, 05:42 AM   #3
HauteHorlogerie
Banned

Watch: 519LN | 64A
I was in your position a few years back. If you like the nautilus but not the bracelet I would say look at the 5711G in white gold on leather. It's a little north of your budget you mentioned but who knows where they'll be priced when you are ready to purchase. There are some nice annual calendars on the secondary market. If you want to go new the 5127 is classic and I like it a lot. Not sure what other pieces you own or what color metal you are after. 5296 is a personal favorite as well. Also the 5123. There is a lot in that price category. But I love the 5296G sector dial
HauteHorlogerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2013, 05:45 AM   #4
HauteHorlogerie
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oryx View Post

Have a look at the 5296 or the 5119. The 5296 with sector dial is one of my favourites.

Looks like we were on the same page haha the 5296 is awesome. I love mine in white gold on a blue strap. The 5119 slipped my mind, that is also a fantastic calatrava.
Old 27 April 2013, 06:11 AM   #5
Sir Larry Wildman
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, FPJ, IWC
These are some great suggestions, guys. Maybe I should rethink my aversion to the bracelet Nautilus. I work in a casual office, where I wear jeans and shorts to work. Maybe the 5711/1A is the perfect piece, and I am just being silly wanting one on a strap. I just can't get it through my mind that for 1 5711/1A I could have a SS Daytona and a JLC Reverso Grande Calendar. But the one time I did see a 5711/1A in the wild, I was memorized.
Sir Larry Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2013, 06:13 AM   #6
Oryx
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creighton Gibbons View Post
Looks like we were on the same page haha the 5296 is awesome. I love mine in white gold on a blue strap. The 5119 slipped my mind, that is also a fantastic calatrava.
Yes - the 5296G sector is a winner - especially on dark blue leather.

A classic Patek which can be worn both in formal and casual settings.
Oryx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2013, 06:48 AM   #7
z32turbo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Varies
Keeping in your $$ and the fact that you have a casual work attire I'd look at the Aquanaut and get both the bracelet and rubber strap to change it up.

Instagram @z32turbo
z32turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2013, 07:03 AM   #8
HauteHorlogerie
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by z32turbo View Post
Keeping in your $$ and the fact that you have a casual work attire I'd look at the Aquanaut and get both the bracelet and rubber strap to change it up.
He might not want an aquanaut based on aesthetics. He made mention he didn't like them. To each their own, I don't like any of the aquanauts either...maybe if the rubber strap didn't fit flush against the case between the lugs and had a straight spring bar...or maybe if it didn't have arabic numerals. Something just turns me off from that piece. Still a great piece in the overall PP collection/offering though.

You cannot go wrong with a nautilus SS on steal. Just an awesome piece and always my pick over the other Genta designs, though there is always a warm place in my heart for the royal oak..

And as far as owning a SS Daytona and JLC Reverso..that was always the hardest part to swallow for me. Getting into Patek while still being a huge Rolex collector made it hard at first. However, in retrospect I wouldn't trade some of my PP complications for watch box full of SS Rolex's.
Old 27 April 2013, 07:13 AM   #9
stockjock1975
"TRF" Member

Watch: Platona
Perhaps a pre-owned 5127 would fit the need? I have owned mine for several years now and it feels right at home in virtually any situation. It really is the quintessential Patek in my opinion. Just some food for thought....
stockjock1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2013, 12:15 PM   #10
Stuxnet
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockjock1975 View Post
perhaps a pre-owned 5127 would fit the need? I have owned mine for several years now and it feels right at home in virtually any situation. It really is the quintessential patek in my opinion. Just some food for thought....
+1.
Stuxnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2013, 12:57 PM   #11
Stonedcl
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116200, 116610
I would also say the 5711 or you can find a NICE 5035 for under $25K...

P.S. not my pic but lovely watch!!

There is also a 5056 in platinum I see for sale for about $30k, what a lovely watch..
Stonedcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2013, 08:41 PM   #12
HauteHorlogerie
Banned

5127 is awesome as well! Though there is nothing like upping the red box and cutting the plastic to get to your new baby!!! Haha maybe I'm just crazy but I love unboxing new Patek's ;)
Old 5 May 2013, 06:46 AM   #13
Hughiee

I would recommend the 5711/1A in blue-black dial.
Hughiee is offline   Reply With Quote