The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 25 May 2018, 05:29 AM   #1
Valedictorian
"TRF" Member

World time watches without DST

Guys, honest question: what is the use of a world time watch it if doesn’t have the little arrows representing daylight saving times? Or are we paying for the cloisonné handcraft alone? I’m asking because I travel quite a bit for work and I’m looking into buying either a GMT watch (other than Patek) or a world time watch.

Am I missing something?
Valedictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2018, 05:48 AM   #2
goog53
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex-Patek-AP
The 5230s do not sell all that well. It is a classic Patek complication but not very accurate for all time zones. If you cant get the Enamel Version buy a GMT...5164A

"The best watch in the world is the one that's on your wrist." Morgan King

"Do you like having a good time? Then you need a good watch!" Rocky Balboa
goog53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2018, 08:44 AM   #3
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valedictorian View Post
Guys, honest question: what is the use of a world time watch it if doesn’t have the little arrows representing daylight saving times? Or are we paying for the cloisonné handcraft alone? I’m asking because I travel quite a bit for work and I’m looking into buying either a GMT watch (other than Patek) or a world time watch.

Am I missing something?
Not sure, I don’t buy any Patek for accurate time either so I guess it must be something else.
Russell996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2018, 09:29 AM   #4
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
The Glashutte Original Senator Cosmopolite takes care of DST IIRC. Otherwise, have to adjust the time manually using the travel time function in 5164/5990.
Ichiran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2018, 12:31 PM   #5
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valedictorian View Post

Am I missing something?
The "World Time" gives you the time of the day in different parts of the world in one dial. Some parts of the world observe daylight savings time (DST) and others do not. So it can be off by an hour at any time. It is not meant to be a travel time watch as there are others like the 5164, 5990 and the 5524, which does a better job of showing you the time at your home time zone and that of your current location.

Traditionally GMT is a term used by airline pilots to get a reference time of Greenwich, England as they fly across time zones. Others in the watch world use the term GMT quite loosely and it can mean different things to different people.

Patek doesn't really make a pure GMT watch, only a travel time or a world time. Each watch serves a different purpose and it depends on what you would use it for. If you regularly have conference calls with people from NYC, London and Singapore, then the World Time would help you see what time it is at those locations. If you travel to these cities personally and you need to call back home regularly, then the travel time would help you see what time it is back home along with your local time.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2018, 03:29 PM   #6
SW1
Banned

Any WT that uses the 24 zones will not be titally useful as there are some countries on half and 15 min zones lime india.Vacheron includes thus but the dial is failrly complicated to read. In addition some cities change their time zones and thenr the watch is more useless e.g Moscow. DLS makes the eatch wrong 50% of the year. However if you truly use the watch for its functionality and work (like i do) then you generally notr when DLS has kicked jn and applicable to which cities. In that case i just look at the city before. The cloissone is only used on tbe 5131 and as its out if reach for mere.mortals the WT is the 5230 without cloissone. In that case people buying the 5230 do so for the complication. Is WT any less useful (as a complication) hen a chrono???
SW1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2018, 03:43 PM   #7
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

in general i agree. Without getting into these weird 30 minute time zone places, most normal WT have an arrow so you know the time all year long both for places that use DST and those that don't. A WT without that is practically of little use for half of every year. I doubt thats the motivation for buying one though. I would still buy one if i could get ahold of a 5131 for example.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2018, 08:42 PM   #8
Sam Philip
Banned

Greubel Forsey GMT Earth takes into account DST.
Sam Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2018, 10:01 PM   #9
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
What is the use of a watch when you have a cell phone in your hands or pocket?
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote