The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 27 June 2019, 01:34 AM   #61
fania123
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 116710er View Post
Nah, I don't want anything built under Richemont's control.
Why, it has the same movement and is virtually the same watch as the original but for far less money and one that you know hasn't been fooled with.
fania123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2019, 03:36 PM   #62
CanPam
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mspeed76 View Post
great pics!

after selling all my pams many years ago, carbotech is what brought me back to the brand.

love the weight and the look. much lighter than ceramic and even titanium

durability of the material seems to be closer to APs forged carbon than RMs NTPT
I've had two carbon ROOs in the past and since some month I have the 616 and the Carbotech seems to be tougher and better terminated than the APs.
Old 27 June 2019, 10:26 PM   #63
Dturn941
"TRF" Member

Watch: Navitimer 01
Excited to get my first!
Dturn941 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2019, 12:40 PM   #64
321Forever
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SD43
I don't mean to make the same point as others here have...but sheesh, I really feel like Panerai has a long way to go to get brand equity back in place. Here we are, with folks paying extra $$$ for any SS Rolex. Or the plainest of the AP ROs. I still remember seeing one for the first time and being blown away. They held their value for years...and then no more.

They haven't marketed their history as effectively as Omega with the Speedy. They don't have the cache of Rolex. Is it unfair to say that Richemont is doing to them what they have done to IWC? Should they simplify the product line like when Jobs returned to Apple?

In the meantime, I put my Ti 10+ year old Luminor up for sale on that big auction site (a yearly exercise) and the offers are ridiculously so low that I will likely pull it and keep on wearing it. Don't get me wrong, I like the watch a lot, but I ought to cash out to make way for others (50y Apollo Speedy). Still, if it won't sell then it can go back on the wrist with another nice strap and, fellas, my wife actually thinks it looks great, too.
321Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2019, 02:17 PM   #65
Daryl
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I sold my PAM but im thinking of getting at least one.

Official Member "Perpetual 30" Las Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Daryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2019, 06:43 PM   #66
lianghee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pam, AP, Rolex
I think panerai is doing fine. At least I could still get a few below retail (except bronzo of course). I prefer them to keep it this way and more affordable lol. In just two months, I bought 3 pams and 4th is coming in Nov.

lianghee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2019, 05:47 PM   #67
rambo99
Banned

Watch: SD43,PAM1616,Hulk
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepikamahajan View Post
Hey!

Panerai Luminor is best or Submersible???
I would say the best is to get both. equally stunning pieces.
rambo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2019, 01:50 AM   #68
RoyalOac
"TRF" Member

When John Mayer said the first 10 watches you own are mistakes, it kinda hit home with me, after owning 4 panerais and selling all of them. The brand will never come back. It will be sort of like Omega; a forgotten brand that once was, lurking in the shadows of Rolex, and only relevant through constant LEs and whoring by hodinkee.
Rolex Submariner 126613 LB
Audemars Piguet Royal Oak 15300ST
RoyalOac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2019, 01:53 AM   #69
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by lianghee View Post
I think panerai is doing fine. At least I could still get a few below retail (except bronzo of course). I prefer them to keep it this way and more affordable lol. In just two months, I bought 3 pams and 4th is coming in Nov.

Nice trio
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2019, 03:24 AM   #70
shafran
"TRF" Member

Panerai is a brand like any other.

It has its own dna thats not like others. Other than Rolex, PP and to some extent AP, most brands devalue like Panerai does. I have had VC, Breguet, Hublot, Cartier, JLC, IWC, Blancpain, FM, Lange and none have held value. I have had Parmigiani and Moser that really, really, devalue. My colleciton now is a Lange, a Journe, an Oysterflex daytona, an AP Roc, a VC overseas and a Panerai gmt, and I could not be happier. Yes, Panerai has made a few mistakes, but so did everyone else. I remember when you could not give away a Patek 5167 or a Rolex Milgaus, now everyone wants one. Panerai is interesting, different , and now makes something for everyone, whats wrong with that?
shafran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2019, 01:03 PM   #71
lianghee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Nice trio
Thank you
Old 18 August 2019, 06:16 AM   #72
Mrngrz46
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalOac View Post
When John Mayer said the first 10 watches you own are mistakes, it kinda hit home with me, after owning 4 panerais and selling all of them. The brand will never come back. It will be sort of like Omega; a forgotten brand that once was, lurking in the shadows of Rolex, and only relevant through constant LEs and whoring by hodinkee.
For what they are all including material, movement, history, appeal, depreciation they cost way too much. That is a real issue because i find the watch itself way more interesting than omega but I simply can’t spend such money for a sub.

However I recognize that in some model material are interesting.
Mrngrz46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2019, 09:20 AM   #73
yachty 1
"TRF" Member

Watch: yacht master
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalOac View Post

Definitely if John Meyer said you should dump the brand it was a good move. It gets to the point where you wear what you like not because it's the hottest thing out .
yachty 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2019, 11:05 AM   #74
Dan2010
"TRF" Member

Watch: Panerai 914
Honestly, I dont want the people that compare everything to Rolex to buy Panerai. Please just continue buying your Subs and Daytonas like good little sheeple. It really gets old listening to some of the same old horseshit from people who really aren't and never were fans of the brand.

Rolex is a great brand and as an entrepreneur I really love their business history and how they are actually a charitable organization. I bet 99.9% of the Rolex sheeple dont even know that. With that being said, Panerai is something totally different than anything out there. Panerai has great history and has a great story as well but let's not forget that the MODERN Panerai is only 20+ years old. Also remember Panerai is not TRYING to be all things to all people. It's always going to produce 50-70,000 watches a year and has no intentions of making 700,000 to 1,000,000 like Rolex.

So just stop with all the nonsense. Either buy a Pam and enjoy it or don't.
Dan2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2019, 12:15 PM   #75
nick c
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan2010 View Post
Honestly, I dont want the people that compare everything to Rolex to buy Panerai. Please just continue buying your Subs and Daytonas like good little sheeple. It really gets old listening to some of the same old horseshit from people who really aren't and never were fans of the brand.

Rolex is a great brand and as an entrepreneur I really love their business history and how they are actually a charitable organization. I bet 99.9% of the Rolex sheeple dont even know that. With that being said, Panerai is something totally different than anything out there. Panerai has great history and has a great story as well but let's not forget that the MODERN Panerai is only 20+ years old. Also remember Panerai is not TRYING to be all things to all people. It's always going to produce 50-70,000 watches a year and has no intentions of making 700,000 to 1,000,000 like Rolex.

I’m with you Dan
nick c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2019, 12:55 PM   #76
mobster600
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes
I love Panerai. I really hope they can come back with some new stuff. Cross my fingers sooner then later. They were on another level years ago and its been kinda hard to watch them go in the current direction. Idk if its management changes or what....but they gotta get back to making the badass, Arnold/Sly feeling watches. Panerai was the brand that was anything but fancy dials and gold, it was a f**k off brand. Years ago a person with tattoos and rode a Harley could find a Panerai to buy. It was a brand that was anything but trying to fit in. I just wish it could get back to that. Idk though, I have my doubts that it will. I think its lost its way.
mobster600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2019, 02:17 PM   #77
JDsnewwatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710LN with BCL
Im curious. For those that understand the Panerai point of view on design. How do you create a GMT watch (in house movement) with a 12 hour register and no way of knowing if you are looking at AM or PM?! I know the new models have remedied this, but there was an awful long time where y'all just agreed with the decision and bought that?! What am I missing?
JDsnewwatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2019, 04:00 PM   #78
lianghee
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 18 August 2019, 06:11 PM   #79
synequano
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDsnewwatch View Post
Im curious. For those that understand the Panerai point of view on design. How do you create a GMT watch (in house movement) with a 12 hour register and no way of knowing if you are looking at AM or PM?! I know the new models have remedied this, but there was an awful long time where y'all just agreed with the decision and bought that?! What am I missing?

There’s a thing called a window to see whether it’s day or night...

The basic philosophy of Panerai is simplicity,and one of the selling point of their 12/12 gmt in which you can hide the gmt hand behind the main hour hand...if they do 24 hrs gmt,they have to add 24 hours chapter ring or bezel thus making the watch looks busier than necessary
synequano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2019, 10:37 PM   #80
JDsnewwatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710LN with BCL
Quote:
Originally Posted by synequano View Post
There’s a thing called a window to see whether it’s day or night...

The basic philosophy of Panerai is simplicity,and one of the selling point of their 12/12 gmt in which you can hide the gmt hand behind the main hour hand...if they do 24 hrs gmt,they have to add 24 hours chapter ring or bezel thus making the watch looks busier than necessary
With that logic, who needs a watch at all? The GMT hand indicates the home time, not the local time. You could very well be someplace where its dark but your home time has daylight.

If they stood by this design, they wouldn't have added the AM/PM to the new ones. It's a bad design.
JDsnewwatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2019, 11:21 PM   #81
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

all i know is my 913 gets probably the most wrist time of all my watches. Its just fun to wear.

Im aware its almost the same as many other city LE's they have produced. Mine is London, and i have a connection to London and its a nice design. I would rather they do that then come up with something totally different that looks worse.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2019, 11:28 PM   #82
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
all i know is my 913 gets probably the most wrist time of all my watches. Its just fun to wear.

Im aware its almost the same as many other city LE's they have produced. Mine is London, and i have a connection to London and its a nice design. I would rather they do that then come up with something totally different that looks worse.
I'm the same I probably wear my 690 more than any other watch.

It's surprisingly comfortable for its size, and it SO much fun to look at.

It has torch lume too

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2019, 12:07 AM   #83
matt009au
"TRF" Member

I feel like they might be making a little bit of a resurgence, albeit with a new audience. I picked up my first pam last week, after years of avoiding the brand because I thought they were just too large for me. I wanted something fun since I can't get the rolex I would like these days. It is probably just the honeymoon phase, but I really am enjoying the watch and wish I had gotten a pam much sooner.

Subsequently, two of my younger (late 20s) work colleges mentioned to me that Panerai was the watch they dreamed to own, they were draw to the look and found rolex 'boring', which I found quite interesting.
matt009au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2019, 12:25 AM   #84
armybuck041
"TRF" Member

Watch: Easy Come, Easy Go

Theoretically this reference should be horrible. Fauxtina, blue seconds hand, “automatic” on the dial, and a bracelet. But dammit, I can’t take it off. I love it. The new movement with a slightly thinner 1950s case wears so much better than the 312 before it.
Old 19 August 2019, 12:42 AM   #85
matt009au
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by armybuck041 View Post

Theoretically this reference should be horrible. Fauxtina, blue seconds hand, “automatic” on the dial, and a bracelet. But dammit, I can’t take it off. I love it. The new movement with a slightly thinner 1950s case wears so much better than the 312 before it.
Wish there was a like button! Love that one.
matt009au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2019, 01:13 AM   #86
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
Quote:

The greatest "experts" on Panerai are those who never even owned one ...or perhaps their wrists are small

Panerai is a fun to wear brand .
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2019, 01:16 AM   #87
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
Just that ..its fun to wear !
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2019, 01:31 AM   #88
armybuck041
"TRF" Member

Watch: Easy Come, Easy Go
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt009au View Post
Wish there was a like button! Love that one.

I had a 299 on the previous generation stark looking smooth bracelet. This reissue of the original “crown-guard” bracelet is fantastic. Very comfortable and the bi-folding clasp is much more compact. The integration with the case is exceptional. Only real dig is a return to friction pins on the links. Regardless, a really nice alternative to a rubber strap when 100% humidity rolls in during the summer months. I wanted to hate the dial, but in the metal it all works so well.

Some of my previous Pams:

There was a 312, 233 and 299 before these ones. Regardless, as much as I enjoy my Pepsi, there will always be a Panerai in my stable, as they offer something I can’t quite describe, that Rolex will never be.
Old 19 August 2019, 02:30 AM   #89
synequano
Banned

Panerai Will Come Back

Rolex is a bit too vanilla...like a lexus car,it’s good,reliable but boring..whereas Panerai is a bit like Ferrari...exotic and different but it’s simply not for everyone (I won’t say it’s not for small wristed bunch as I have relatively small wrist but my daily wear is 47mm pam 375,it’s been almost 2 months on my wrist)
synequano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2019, 02:57 AM   #90
vman
"TRF" Member

Watch: less TV
The way I see it... The most attractive models from Panerai are, ironically, all from the Luminor Logo family. Wish they upped the resistance to 300M and offered sandwich dials though. The rest of the line up is a bad execution of some odd marketing strategy that I will never understand.