The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 30 May 2019, 12:30 AM   #61
iLLGT2
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP ROO Blue Scuba
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moving Chicane View Post
As a current 991 RS owner (and once upon a time 996 GT3 owner, and more recently a 2008 Scud owner) I've watched the prices slowly come down since last Oct-Dec. And they are still going lower now. Like almost every Porsche; like almost every generation.

Some will go lower than others. For example, 2004 GT3's once were in the low-$50's. Now a clear, non-track car is probably $80's? I expect these 991's to go down to a $100K at some point. But that's ok; I bought a depreciating asset and know it. So gradual or "panic bubble" doesn't really matter to me.

YMMV.
Hope all is well buddy
I’ll be out in Cali August again we will tear it up
iLLGT2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2019, 12:31 AM   #62
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moving Chicane View Post
As a current 991 RS owner (and once upon a time 996 GT3 owner, and more recently a 2008 Scud owner) I've watched the prices slowly come down since last Oct-Dec. And they are still going lower now. Like almost every Porsche; like almost every generation.

Some will go lower than others. For example, 2004 GT3's once were in the low-$50's. Now a clear, non-track car is probably $80's? I expect these 991's to go down to a $100K at some point. But that's ok; I bought a depreciating asset and I know it. So gradual or "panic bubble" doesn't really matter to me.

YMMV.
991 at 100K will be awful tempting......
V25V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2019, 12:32 AM   #63
Crazy Canuck
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by V25V View Post
But I have driven a 996 GT3, on track. And again, it was meh. I have driven 997's and 991's, they are superior. Not sure why you cannot accept it was and is the worst GT3 in the lot, and the worst 911 of them all. It is pretty widely accepted.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cul...e-collectible/
Fastest and driving experience are two different things. The driver is driving a 996 GT3 or GT2. Not the car.
I've driven 997 GT3s and have a 991.2 GT3. Faster? Of course. Better? Depends what you are looking for.
Crazy Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2019, 12:34 AM   #64
iLLGT2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The widow maker is certainly a different animal all together. Still would prefer a newer one but that's a lot of HP and a lot of fun im sure regardless. Never had the chance to drive one, not many guys are willing to put them on the track, let alone let me drive it.
Well I may be up north soon this summer with another gt2 I have to get sorted. I’ll message you to drive it if so
But this isnt set in stone yet !!
Old 30 May 2019, 12:34 AM   #65
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Canuck View Post
Fastest and driving experience are two different things. The driver is driving a 996 GT3 or GT2. Not the car.
I've driven 997 GT3s and have a 991.2 GT3. Faster? Of course. Better? Depends what you are looking for.
Hey, I am all about driving experience. You are chatting with a guy who still has an E46 M3...... but I do not feel the driving experience is better in a 996 versus a 997. GT2 I cannot speak to but not arguing that it would be fun, surely it would.
Old 30 May 2019, 12:35 AM   #66
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLLGT2 View Post
Well I may be up north soon this summer with another gt2 I have to get sorted. I’ll message you to drive it if so
But this isnt set in stone yet !!
Let me know, between my sons karting and my racing, I would certainly try to fit that in!
Old 30 May 2019, 12:40 AM   #67
iLLGT2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hey, I am all about driving experience. You are chatting with a guy who still has an E46 M3...... but I do not feel the driving experience is better in a 996 versus a 997. GT2 I cannot speak to but not arguing that it would be fun, surely it would.
Omg another e46 m guy? I started life with that

For me I’ve already fulfilled two life dream cars
E46 m and 996 gt2 back in the mid 2000 lol

Maybe we can be friends after all

And I will

Sorry about the banter back and forth
You hit a passion nerve
996 I hold near and dear to my heart

It has an uncalled for bad reputation
Old 30 May 2019, 12:43 AM   #68
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Is Porshe GT3 bubble about to burst?

Quote:
Omg another e46 m guy? I started life with that

For me I’ve already fulfilled two life dream cars

E46 m and 996 gt2 back in the mid 2000 lol

Maybe we can be friends after all

And I will

Sorry about the banter back and forth

You hit a passion nerve

996 I hold near and dear to my heart

It has an uncalled for bad reputation

Yup, it has been relegated to the driveway unfortunately, just not enough room in the garage with all the toys (mostly karts these days). Had it since new in 2005, about 90K on the clock now and toyed with selling it, but just can't do it. That and the F80 M3 are outside. LOL

I get it, I tend to stick up for BMW bashses pretty harshly and have done so here before, no worries.
Old 30 May 2019, 12:46 AM   #69
RHIII

Watch: AP/Rolex/PP
Is Porshe GT3 bubble about to burst?

There are GT3s all over the place. And the premiums have definite cooled down. They are nowhere near as hard to get as they used to be - if you REALLY want one.

A good friend of mine a Porsche collector had this very discussion last Friday afternoon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RHIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2019, 01:08 AM   #70
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Go kart stable is legit!

That track spoof video is priceless. Quality writing.
Old 30 May 2019, 01:25 AM   #71
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Go kart stable is legit!

That track spoof video is priceless. Quality writing.
They are like watches, you just can't stop buying them! We are up to 4 now, 5th likely on its way so the older boy can start practicing the next class.

Yeah, that video is a classic. And it is soooo spot on!
Old 30 May 2019, 02:07 AM   #72
cajerseyboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: me find "the one"
You can’t go wrong with any GT variant. I have a 991.1 cab GTS PDK and when looking to acquire a GT car I was close to getting the 991.2 RS. I made a pivot after speaking with a well known guy from rennlist for about 3 hours. He can drive anything. Literally and he and his buddies all gravitate to the 997.2 GT3 RS (3.8 and 4.0). After test driving one I finally understood.

Old 30 May 2019, 02:20 AM   #73
kpetrey1
"TRF" Member

Not to get off topic but what's a decent model and year for a 911 style in the $40-$45k range? Thanks
kpetrey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2019, 02:20 AM   #74
Crazy Canuck
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by btcus View Post
You can’t go wrong with any GT variant. I have a 991.1 cab GTS PDK and when looking to acquire a GT car I was close to getting the 991.2 RS. I made a pivot after speaking with a well known guy from rennlist for about 3 hours. He can drive anything. Literally and he and his buddies all gravitate to the 997.2 GT3 RS (3.8 and 4.0). After test driving one I finally understood.

997 GT3 RS is a great car. Last of the RS manuals.
Old 30 May 2019, 03:40 AM   #75
Ballzzz
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

e46 M3 <3
Old 30 May 2019, 10:14 AM   #76
iLLGT2
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I do think personally the 997.2 rs is the epitome of the best driving experience one can have.
Old 30 May 2019, 11:31 AM   #77
JVM
Banned

There are quite a few for sale now, but I would hardly call the market a bust. Nice cars with average equipment level and mileage have depreciated less than 10% from MSRP after 4 years. That's pretty strong resale for a model that wasn't a limited-edition, was produced in decent numbers, and based on what a lot of Porsche owners would consider a fairly pedestrian model.

I have a GT4 and most of the guys I know who had and sold them or have them for sale now have gone into GT3's and GT3RS's. I'll probably do likewise when they drop a bit more and start moving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K3vin View Post
Similarly, the Cayman GT4 bubble bursted as well.
JVM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2019, 01:24 PM   #78
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpetrey1 View Post
Not to get off topic but what's a decent model and year for a 911 style in the $40-$45k range? Thanks
997.1 c2 would be my aim.
Old 1 June 2019, 06:18 AM   #79
fkim011
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Sky Dweller
Quote:

And the last of the bulletproof Mezger engines before they went DFI.
fkim011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2019, 12:06 PM   #80
rolexinfl
"TRF" Member

My neighbor just bought a GT3RS, in orange.

I had no idea its a 'rolex-like' model car where you need to wait for it, etc.

The guys is a frontman for a rock band and already has a G-wagon and lambo, so I'm sure that got him in the door.

My other neighbor is HUGE in the porshe world - I think he's the autocross chair for PCA...goes to Sebring once a month and has been in a few magazines as well.

I should buy one....lol
rolexinfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2019, 02:45 PM   #81
iLLGT2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolexinfl View Post
My neighbor just bought a GT3RS, in orange.

I had no idea its a 'rolex-like' model car where you need to wait for it, etc.

The guys is a frontman for a rock band and already has a G-wagon and lambo, so I'm sure that got him in the door.

My other neighbor is HUGE in the porshe world - I think he's the autocross chair for PCA...goes to Sebring once a month and has been in a few magazines as well.

I should buy one....lol
Small world lol... i got him his black huracan
Old 3 June 2019, 11:02 AM   #82
rolexinfl
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Small world lol... i got him his black huracan
Haha, nice

Seen it around town plenty!
rolexinfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2019, 02:34 PM   #83
ruffa
"TRF" Member

The 991 GT3 bubble already burst. The 991 can be had for the of the 997. 996 and 997 aren’t a bubble. They keep climbing slowly over the years.
ruffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2019, 04:40 AM   #84
Wahlberg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TswaneNguni View Post
Engine problems on a Porsche.Interesting .What was the problem ?
https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...gine-warranty/

Quote:
The Porsche 991.1 GT3, built from model year 2014 to 2016, got off to a rough start—engine fire risks sidelined the first 785 cars delivered, forcing Porsche to replace all of their engines. Then, some GT3 owners began noticing misfires at high RPMs

The 996 had engine problems as well and that engine was then used in the 997 and you can guess it, similar/same problems happened.
Wahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2019, 11:29 PM   #85
Crazy Canuck
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wahlberg View Post
https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...gine-warranty/

The 996 had engine problems as well and that engine was then used in the 997 and you can guess it, similar/same problems happened.
996 Carrera engine has Intermediate Shaft Bearing problems yes. 996 GT3/GT2/Turbo uses a different block and engine design which is not susceptible to IMS problems but does pop coolant line fittings now and again. Many now are pinned/welded. Early 997 Carrera 3.6 also susceptible to the carryover IMS issues. It's not every car though. Anecdotally it would appear the cars driven spiritedly do not often have problems as higher RPMs push more oil through the bearing. Mostly low RPM highway cars seems to have problems. 3.8L from the Carrrera S after March or so 2005 production have a different bearing design. I had one. My car was 5 or 6 engine serial numbers into the new bearing production.

The new GT3 is wonderful.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190520_142616_resized_sm.jpg (140.9 KB, 225 views)
Old 5 June 2019, 05:00 AM   #86
Mr.Rolex1
Banned

Watch: Submariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 365DAS View Post
Wait until you see what happens with the 991 Speedster!

This
Mr.Rolex1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 November 2019, 12:10 AM   #87
Airbag79
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Canuck View Post
996 Carrera engine has Intermediate Shaft Bearing problems yes. 996 GT3/GT2/Turbo uses a different block and engine design which is not susceptible to IMS problems but does pop coolant line fittings now and again. Many now are pinned/welded. Early 997 Carrera 3.6 also susceptible to the carryover IMS issues. It's not every car though. Anecdotally it would appear the cars driven spiritedly do not often have problems as higher RPMs push more oil through the bearing. Mostly low RPM highway cars seems to have problems. 3.8L from the Carrrera S after March or so 2005 production have a different bearing design. I had one. My car was 5 or 6 engine serial numbers into the new bearing production.

The new GT3 is wonderful.
This ^^. GT3 and Turbo utilized the Mezger block, no IMS/RMS issues with that block. Arguably one of the best most reliable engines Porsche ever produced.

991.1 GT3's will plummet in value when the 10 yr/120k engine warranty expires. The finger-follower issue is an intrinsic issue due to hydraulic lifters. Porsche band-aided it with the G-series replacement motor which has better oiling and DLC. Albeit, there have still been G series engine failures (although none on the G series II (latest iteration) motor that I am aware of). Even the 991.1 GT3-RS, which has lower redline ~8600 RPM due to this issue, has exhibited the FF issue. There is a reason Porsche completely revised the valve-train design from hydraulic to solid lifters.

The 991.2 will be the one to keep. Manual. Bulletproof RSR derived engine with solid lifters and no FF issues. Plus, the 992 is fugly AF. The 911 died with the 992.
Airbag79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 November 2019, 01:55 AM   #88
RobearH
Banned

Watch: 126710 BLRO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airbag79 View Post
This ^^. GT3 and Turbo utilized the Mezger block, no IMS/RMS issues with that block. Arguably one of the best most reliable engines Porsche ever produced.

991.1 GT3's will plummet in value when the 10 yr/120k engine warranty expires. The finger-follower issue is an intrinsic issue due to hydraulic lifters. Porsche band-aided it with the G-series replacement motor which has better oiling and DLC. Albeit, there have still been G series engine failures (although none on the G series II (latest iteration) motor that I am aware of). Even the 991.1 GT3-RS, which has lower redline ~8600 RPM due to this issue, has exhibited the FF issue. There is a reason Porsche completely revised the valve-train design from hydraulic to solid lifters.

The 991.2 will be the one to keep. Manual. Bulletproof RSR derived engine with solid lifters and no FF issues. Plus, the 992 is fugly AF. The 911 died with the 992.
In fairness didn’t people say that when the 996 came out as well...yet Porsche fans keep buying em.
RobearH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2019, 11:53 PM   #89
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airbag79 View Post

I realize lots of folks will have varying opinions. But I really like yours.

I actually quite like the 992. But I’ve got a Targa 4 GTS 991.2 in manual. I realize my track record isn’t too hot, but I’ve got dreams of keeping this one for decades. I’ve had dozens of people tell me it’s a unicorn and should certainly be kept.

And while it’s certainly not meant as an investment, I’d love to offset all the pain of my past “indiscretions” when it comes to car and watch buying and selling.

I haven’t driven a new 992 just yet, but I've heard great things. I do think it’ll grow on people. But only time will tell. I drove with one a few weekends ago, and I can’t help but admit that I really do like it.

edit to add I just realized you were talking about the GT version. but for the most part, my post still stands....

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2019, 02:13 PM   #90
kirksingleton
"TRF" Member

I can’t hang with you GT guys but I did buy a mint 993 c2 6 speed last week with 27k miles on it. Black on black. It was owned by a Dr. the last 17 years. Orig paint, not even a door ding!
kirksingleton is offline   Reply With Quote