The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 26 October 2019, 08:22 AM   #1
frackas
"TRF" Member

14270 Explorer - dial variations

I haven’t seen this discussed anywhere, but it seems like the 14270 came with two different font variations on the dial. Both with regards to the 9 and 6 numerals, the letter fonts and the coronet. As you can see from the photos, the 14270 on the top has a more curved 9 and 6 as well as a slightly different font on the “ROLEX OYSTER PERPETUAL” than seen in the on the bottom.

As far as I can tell, the curved numeral dial came first. The straighter numeral dial starts showing up around 1997 and always seems to come with the thicker letter font. From then on they coexist up until the 114270 is introduced.

The 114270 dials also vary between curved and straight numerals but seem to be more consistent with regards to the letter fonts. I would love to hear if anyone has any information on these dial variations. They don’t seem random, but maybe the outcome of two different production facilities or something.

The difference is not major, but I think I prefer the straighter numerals and the thicker, slightly classier font:)
Photos from hqmilton:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Curved 14270 rez2.jpg (229.3 KB, 458 views)
File Type: jpg 14270 straight rez2.jpg (237.4 KB, 458 views)
frackas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2019, 02:02 AM   #2
waspy1
Banned

I think there’s more than 2 different dials. Also blackout dials and the tritium dials. All slightly different. No real price difference except for the blackout.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
waspy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2019, 02:20 AM   #3
frackas
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waspy1 View Post
I think there’s more than 2 different dials. Also blackout dials and the tritium dials. All slightly different. No real price difference except for the blackout.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
In terms of font style, I don't think they're all slightly different. I have only been able to identify two font variations within the 14270. The “black out” has the same fonts as the upper photos, but just no white outline on the numerals. These two font styles are found in both tritium and luminova dials.
Old 27 October 2019, 02:31 AM   #4
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Didn’t realized this before, think like more the older ones (more curved numbers)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zenith 02.470.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2019, 02:50 AM   #5
athom
"TRF" Member

There are "Blackout" dial, the "TSWISS-T<25", "SWISS MADE" and "SWISS". In some of those, it can be that variations are...so I don't know exactly but at least 5 differents dials...
athom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2019, 06:04 AM   #6
frackas
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by athom View Post
There are "Blackout" dial, the "TSWISS-T<25", "SWISS MADE" and "SWISS". In some of those, it can be that variations are...so I don't know exactly but at least 5 differents dials...
As mentioned earlier in the thread, we’re only talking about the font type plus numerals. The different “Swiss” variations at the bottom of the dials are well known of course. The "blackout" came with the “mk1” fonts and curved numerals, as shown in the upper photo.
Old 31 October 2019, 02:30 PM   #7
"TRF" Member

I didn't notice the round vs. straight numbers before.
After looking at them, and mine, I think it's actually the white paint that is round not the number itself. Where the paint finishes the circle, it is either rounded of or perpendicular.

I noticed that some of 114270 dials have 2 "swiss made" types;
| swiss | made |
|swiss|made|

They correspond to different "LO" fonts in the EXPLORER print;
LO
L0

114270's also have at least three, 5 minute interval marker styles
|
|
I

If anyone knows how or why these differences exist, I'd love to know. I started a similar thread, but it didn't gain much traction in the sea of speculation threads. Glad to see I'm not the only one interested in this.
Old 16 November 2019, 07:44 AM   #8
iliketime
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570, 16710
hope to see more info on this as I have just noticed the O difference in my 14270
iliketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2019, 07:34 AM   #9
cchoi112
"TRF" Member

Just to add a data point to the discussion:

I'm holding a couple of 14270's in my hand right now, both U serial, both tritium dialed. The one with the more circular "O" in "Explorer" looks like the 3/6/9 paint is much thicker and bolder than the white paint on the other dial (with the more oval shaped "O").

Very interested in knowing more myself...
cchoi112 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
#114270 , #14270