The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 21 November 2019, 07:12 AM   #31
wsfarrell
"TRF" Member

Same thing happened to me after an overhaul by a VERY competent watchmaker. He too said "That's as good as it gets." I ended up fixing it myself by carefully filing down the tube. It's not supposed to stick out like that, and you should not accept it that way.
wsfarrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2020, 06:19 AM   #32
Daso
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 16520
Hello all, I have the same issue on my 1974 5513 which one watchmaker suggested replacing with a new tube and crown (keep originals for a resale) and my other more trusted watchmaker who said to leave it alone., but had a slightly different question. Is there a way to determine what year 5513's had either the "no Dot" or "dotted crown"? Mine currently has the Dotted crown which I believe is original to this watch, but question because of the gap. If I did replace the crown and tube, I have access to a NOS No dot but unsure if I need to spend the money. Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200223_151132 (Medium).jpg (192.9 KB, 52 views)
Daso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2020, 08:21 AM   #33
Paul H
"TRF" Member

Watch: 2001 Explorer ll
5513 Twinlock Crown Fitment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trog View Post
Update:

Just returned from DT Vancouver where I met with Norbert Zerbes, the proprietary of the German Watchmaker shop.

Norbert is extremely Rolex savvy, and not just when it comes to repairs, but he's an enthusiast and has quite the collection of vintage timepieces.

He was quite impressed with my Subs case, at first thinking it was NOS. He was less enthusiastic about 'laser-welding' as he comes from the camp of leave it be. But no matter.

When I pointed out the crown fitment, he was a bit mystified not knowing exactly what I was talking about. He then pulled out his 5513 Sub with its crown standing proud of the case!

It would appear that back in the '60's, Rolex was not renowned for quality control and crown fitment was all over the place!

Nothing can or should be done with my crown. He said I was lucky to have the original parts as they are scarce as hens teeth.

So that's it then...I'll just have to get used to it. (Or hunt down another tube and perhaps get lucky).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I should also note that Norbert noticed some dust on my dial and quickly opened the case and cleaned her up.....it was worth the trip into the big city!

I certainly would agree with taking a Rolex to Norbert. A gentleman of sterling character, well experienced, competent and trustworthy.
Paul H is offline   Reply With Quote