The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 16 November 2019, 11:49 PM   #1
Fredcohiba
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ 126334
Camera doorbell-Who has one and what brand?

Looking to get a camera doorbell. Lots of info out there but was wondering who here has one, what kind is it, would you buy it again and did you opt for the cloud storage - is that option used/needed? Thanks.
Fredcohiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2019, 11:59 PM   #2
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
We need to get one. We have a nanny cam for inside and now need one at the door. Listening to this thread with interest.
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2019, 12:01 AM   #3
Toony
"TRF" Member

I have a Ring for 2 years now. No issues. Easy setup. Works great in all weather.
Toony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2019, 12:10 AM   #4
nick c
Banned

I have the SkyBell works like charm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nick c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2019, 12:15 AM   #5
JD305
"TRF" Member

Watch: Long E 1675
I just installed the Ring peephole camera . Check it out in Amazon. Integrates with Ring products and services. It’s a regular peephole, a wide view camera, and door bell. Mine came with a Amazon Echo Show 5 display which you can use to show you the live feed from the peephole camera.

JD305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2019, 12:19 AM   #6
Bigblu10
Banned

We just bought a new house in a new neighborhood. Have the Sky bell and it is excellent. They are in such demand that many are backordered. They were able to locate us one though.
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2019, 12:37 AM   #7
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I’ve used a couple of brands for front door surveillance.

The Skybell is great but if you use the one that ties into an existing doorbell system, you should check your setup before installation. One thing I learned is to be sure your home’s existing transformer voltage matches their requirements. Many homes built with a single button have a lower voltage than Skybell requires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2019, 12:49 AM   #8
123Blueface
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
Ring for a couple of years.
Works well.
Old 17 November 2019, 12:52 AM   #9
Bigblu10
Banned

BTW there are videos on YouTube comparing the Sky bell to the Ring and the pros and cons of each. Good watching.
Old 17 November 2019, 01:16 AM   #10
1st amg

Watch: Rolex,AP,Panerai
Is the Ring not a paid subscription? I am also interested in something like this.
1st amg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2019, 01:19 AM   #11
nick c
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st amg View Post
Is the Ring not a paid subscription? I am also interested in something like this.

It is, go for the SkyBell and take out your old door bell, and connect the SkyBell, and then use the WiFi it’s perfect.

Old 17 November 2019, 01:24 AM   #12
nick c
Banned

Quote:

Old 17 November 2019, 01:26 AM   #13
1st amg

Watch: Rolex,AP,Panerai
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick c View Post
It is, go for the SkyBell and take out your old door bell, and connect the SkyBell, and then use the WiFi it’s perfect.

Ah, I thought so. We have a full security cameras already around the house, but this one on the doorbell mount is just another bonus that I would like. I like the idea of chatting with the visitor at the door. Thanks buddy
1st amg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2019, 01:28 AM   #14
nick c
Banned

Quote:
Ah, I thought so. We have a full security cameras already around the house, but this one on the doorbell mount is just another bonus that I would like. I like the idea of chatting with the visitor at the door. Thanks buddy

Even if your are in Italy and someone ring your door bell, as long as you have a WiFi their you can talk to them live. Or any where in the world. Cheers buddy.

Old 17 November 2019, 02:19 AM   #15
sickened1

Watch: ugiveiswatchuget
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredcohiba View Post
Looking to get a camera doorbell. Lots of info out there but was wondering who here has one, what kind is it, would you buy it again and did you opt for the cloud storage - is that option used/needed? Thanks.
We have a Ring 2 for a year now. it's been working fine. The only complain i have is the audio quality is not so great (it's installed less than 6 ft from the wireless router so the distance isn't the issue).

The first year cloud storage is included since we got it from Costco last Black Friday. This year we'll have to pay 30 buck if we want to continue using their cloud for another year. You only need it if you want to record anything.
sickened1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2019, 02:21 AM   #16
MSchu
Banned

In for GOOD answers...
MSchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2019, 02:27 AM   #17
uscmatt99
"TRF" Member

We just updated our home automation system and got a video doorbell which we did not have before. More than you're probably looking to do, but I really like it. It activates an app on our phones and automatically displays on the installed LCDs in our house. Not unusual that I'm working in the basement and miss a delivery, now I can communicate by intercom while they wait the extra 20 seconds for me to run up and get a package. I think all the doorbells do this now.

I personally don't like Amazon owned cloud-based products, I just don't trust them from a privacy perspective. Our doorbell footage and any motion activated outdoor camera footage stores to a local drive, but we can view it over the web whenever we want.
uscmatt99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2019, 02:29 AM   #18
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Nest is now owned by Google. With all the privacy issues that entails.

I have 3 interior and 1 exterior Nest cameras but not the doorbell, bought before Google bought them.
Blansky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2019, 02:47 AM   #19
uscmatt99
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blansky View Post
Nest is now owned by Google. With all the privacy issues that entails.

I have 3 interior and 1 exterior Nest cameras but not the doorbell, bought before Google bought them.
Google is another one I don't trust. Apple, I barely trust.

For example, here's an article about Ring sharing footage with law enforcement. While I think working with local law enforcement is typically a good idea, I want to have complete control over video captured by devices installed on my property, paid for by me. It's very easy for tech companies to have wide latitude in what they do with data they've collected, buried in an EULA.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/techn...illance-reach/

Last edited by uscmatt99; 17 November 2019 at 02:54 AM.. Reason: additional Ring info
uscmatt99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2019, 03:13 AM   #20
Bigblu10
Banned

This is our Skybell. When we were choosing options for our new built house, we decided on 3 security cameras to help monitor the house when our daughter is home alone. One covers back yard, one down on lower level aimed at doors and one on main level aimed at sliding doors to back porch. Everything operates on the wi-fi. House also has 2 nest smart thermostats which can be controlled via the app on your phone. Pretty neat.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 17 November 2019, 03:31 AM   #21
Fredcohiba
"TRF" Member

Learning a lot. Just saw Ring 2 on Amazon - refurbished, for $99. Might take the leap.
Old 17 November 2019, 03:37 AM   #22
Ballzzz

I have been trying to decide for a few weeks now.

Some contenders:
- Ring
- Blink

I worry that my current transformer/wiring will not support the ring non battery version. The biggest concern on all these systems is they have issues with detection and sometimes they are late to the show, I guess I’m overthinking it. Subscribed
Old 17 November 2019, 03:39 AM   #23
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Personally the only way the doorbell camera works for me is with a constantly on screen that I can look at. The Nest with Google has a small monitor that would work but having a phone app for the doorbell is just too cumbersome and takes too long to access the video feed of the doorbell. Fed Ex would have already run away with my new watch by the time I see it's them.

If I were to look on my phone to see who is on my outdoor camera it takes too long for the app to load and pick the door view to see the door. That's the problem with the app for me.

So if a doorbell camera doesn't have a screen that's on all the time it just isn't useful to me. This is upstairs in the office where I can view any of the 4 cameras. I also don't have the recording feature with Google so it's just a immediate camera with something like a few hours saved.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2213.JPG (41.8 KB, 168 views)
Blansky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2019, 03:41 AM   #24
crew
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pepsi
I installed a Ring doorbell about 8 months ago. It was actually a gift from a friend.
I didn’t feel any need to get one on my own, but now that I have one I don’t know how I got by without one.
As far as the subscription fee, it’s so inexpensive for the value that it brings it’s a nonissue.
crew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2019, 06:03 AM   #25
JD305
"TRF" Member

Watch: Long E 1675
These are 2 different products ...

1. If you have Door Bell ringers that mount on the edge of the door (these are powered through the main wires that power your old ring button)

2. For owners that live in condos ... there are Peephole Camera versions. Condos have rules and many times do not allow external mounting of devices on the door. Therefore, a ringer camera that takes the place of the existing peephole drilled into the door is a bonus item and may not draw the attention to the condo association.
JD305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2019, 11:43 PM   #26
Fredcohiba
"TRF" Member

I ended up choosing the Ring 2. Installed it yesterday and it was pretty simple. Instructions were clear and well documented.
Had a package delivered last night while we were out and I was alerted just like advertised. Image quality is very acceptable at night, and even better during the day.
Old 20 November 2019, 04:11 AM   #27
Ballzzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredcohiba View Post
I ended up choosing the Ring 2. Installed it yesterday and it was pretty simple. Instructions were clear and well documented.
Had a package delivered last night while we were out and I was alerted just like advertised. Image quality is very acceptable at night, and even better during the day.
Keep us posted.
Old 20 November 2019, 07:33 AM   #28
LandWatch
"TRF" Member

Housekeeper opens the door, when we’re travelling also.
LandWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2019, 11:15 AM   #29
byunts
"TRF" Member

I have the nest hello. I also subscribe to nest aware. Really like service over Arlo. Have used it to provide footage to local authorities for theft attempts in the neighborhood.

byunts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2019, 12:36 PM   #30
ltmgeller

Watch: Rolex
I like ring