The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 18 November 2019, 12:08 PM   #1
Investr
Banned

Watch: Constantly changes
College football and the Tua injury....

I might regret starting this thread but this is a far more civilized (but not informed) environment to do so. This is a bit of an experiment bc on fan threads these guys go absolutely nuts over these topics!
In light of Tua’s horrible injury- 1)do you guys think college football players should be paid? 2) do you agree that a player can not go pro until after their junior year? 3) do you think Tua should have been playing in the game?
Investr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2019, 12:09 PM   #2
Kowaco
"TRF" Member

Watch: G Shock
Yes no Yes

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Kowaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2019, 12:14 PM   #3
Investr
Banned

Watch: Constantly changes
Ill go 1st

1) absolutely yes (although it would be a train wreck to manage all of it)
2) i think 3 years is appropriate to prepare them for the beasts they will face in the NFL
3) he should NOT have played in that game period!! (Never the less at winning 35-7, oh but he was working on the two min drill) He could barely walk off the field at the end of the LSU game. It’s a shame he wasn’t protected better from his coaches. He seems like an incredible young man and I hate it for him. Hope he recovers!
Investr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2019, 12:16 PM   #4
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
Injuries happen It was bad luck that it happened to a top QB but they happen all the time. I don't think paying college players should be based on this one injury.
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2019, 12:17 PM   #5
texasmade
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP RO 15400, FOIS
I can see why the schools shouldn’t pay the players but I don’t agree with not allowing the players to make money off their name and likeness. At this point, who cares if some Alabama alum wants to hire Tua to star in a car dealership commercial and pay him $100k appearance fee. When the assistant coaches are making like a $1M, the amateurism has already left the building.
texasmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2019, 12:39 PM   #6
rolexgiants
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Investr View Post
I might regret starting this thread but this is a far more civilized (but not informed) environment to do so. This is a bit of an experiment bc on fan threads these guys go absolutely nuts over these topics!
In light of Tua’s horrible injury- 1)do you guys think college football players should be paid? 2) do you agree that a player can not go pro until after their junior year? 3) do you think Tua should have been playing in the game?
This is devastating for him. A healthy tua would have been a huge NFL bust! But at least he would have gotten top draft money. Let’s see what happens now..... And I’m not for paying STUDENT ATHLETES.
rolexgiants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2019, 12:44 PM   #7
PossumDixon
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 Coke
That is a devastating injury and likely the end of Tua’s football career. Very difficult to come back from that and he’s likely to suffer the same fate as Bo Jackson. Sad.
PossumDixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2019, 12:59 PM   #8
BigAppleBill
"TRF" Member

1) Yes 2) No 3) Yes

I agree the NCAA should be providing some minimum level of compensation to college athletes from high revenue sports. Most student athletes don’t make it to the professional level in their sport and even ones who do go pro don’t actually earn enough to sustain themselves for their entire life. But beyond mere short term compensation to a select number of star athletes, the NCAA should consider offering ALL student athletes on scholarship something much more valuable — lifelong heath care. The biggest risk to a college athlete is injury, especially if it’s career ending, even more so if it creates a lifelong condition.

The NCAA should create a heath care program that each scholarship athlete is automatically enrolled in and they are guaranteed to have for the rest of their life. The population of such a plan would be a very healthy demographic to start with, so initial costs should be relatively low. And it would be a priceless benefit for those athletes that give their all, only to be sidelined by a career ending injury. That’s what I’d like to see. But that’s entirely my humble opinion and I’m not looking to start a huge debate about it here.
BigAppleBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2019, 01:36 PM   #9
77T
2024 Pledge Member

On the first two questions: paying existing college players plus restraining them from turning pro until their junior year - consider this - we have 14 y.o. pro drivers in Motorsports and nobody blinks an eye. So I support paying players as young as 14 and ending NCAA’s business controls.

On the last question, it is a false choice of playing or not playing Tua - IMHO it’s solely based on the random outcome of his injury. But Saban is skewered about the decision.

The game lost one of the best QB’s we’ve ever seen. Remember how he took the team to victory against UGA in 2017’s National Championship game 2nd half?

This could end Tagovailoa’s pro prospects if he doesn’t fully heal - just one of the saddest situations this season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2019, 01:38 PM   #10
AzPaul
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex 1501
The NFL has the Jr rule in place to protect the schools. The reason? In college football, they have what amounts to a free minor league system. The last thing the League wants to do is incur that expense, so anything they can do to keep the college system strong, they'll do.

Should he have been playing? At the end of the LSU game, he was limping pretty bad. Obviously, I didn't see him at practice through the week, but I'm thinking if there was any question at all, the coach should have erred on the side of caution.
Old 18 November 2019, 03:07 PM   #11
Dubshack
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126334
1) Only for their likeness (jerseys, signed autographs, etc.) No way they should start paying these kids a “salary.” They do that they might as well just forget classes and grades and officially become NFL minor leagues.

2) Yes for football. Other sports, no.

3) Don’t know enough about it to comment. Though it’s a physical sport and anything can happen at any time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dubshack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2019, 03:53 PM   #12
SpeakWithMichael
"TRF" Member

Watch: Superocean 44not42
You have to think about what this would do to an already top-heavy college football competitive environment where more or less the same 10 teams are always vying for those first spots. It would only make the Alabamas and Floridas and Georgias even more difficult to topple. Money begets money and money buys the best quality. Soon the divide between the first 6-7 and the next 20 would be even more insurmountable and predictable. In other words, it would kind of ruin the fun in watching. Is money already exchanging hands to acquire an edge? Sure it is. And that is already changing the landscape to some extent. And then if NCAAF is paid, soon you have to pay everyone to be an athlete. Where does it end? If it doesn't end with a drop in resources towards the actual purpose for university I'd be surprised, and if it doesn't end with free tuition for all of the regular non-athlete students, I'd be disappointed.
SpeakWithMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2019, 09:51 PM   #13
THC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16610M
Look at the other side of college sports... the NCAA.

This entity banks untold millions or billions every year, and if I am not mistaken, and they posture themselves as a non profit, ala the NFL. I know each college gets a piece of the action, but there needs to be more transparency imo, prior to the player compensation.
THC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2019, 12:12 AM   #14
uscmatt99
"TRF" Member

Quote:
1) I think the players should be able to accept payments from third parties for the performance. At the highest levels, these athletes aren't necessarily student-athletes. They should have every opportunity to earn a meaningful degree during their tenure. But let's not pretend they are students first, athletes second. They should also be allowed compensation for their sporting efforts. A salary for playing, no.

2) I don't agree. They should have the opportunity to lock in a contract playing professionally whenever they choose. As we saw with Tua, his value has likely dropped precipitously as a result of his injury. If there was an NFL team that would have drafted him after last year, he should have been allowed to do so.

3) I don't have a problem with him playing in the game as it was more of a "live practice" moment than anything else. This was likely a freak accident.

I read an article where the LA Rams team doc was interviewed regarding this injury, and it's been likened to Bo Jackson's injury. Bo's career was ended, but this isn't necessarily a career death sentence in general. Tua's dislocation was reduced at the stadium. As long as he avoids avascular necrosis of his femoral head (it was this and the subsequent post-traumatic arthritis that ended Bo's career), and didn't sustain too much cartilage and labral damage, he may have a future in the NFL. It's a rare injury in elite players so we don't have much data on long term consequences at this level. He may be at increased risk of repeat dislocation due to less stability of the joint than he's accustomed to though. I wish him the best of luck.
uscmatt99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2019, 12:23 AM   #15
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

I personally feel that colleges should consider a small additional stipend for most athletes in sports such as football and basketball that generate millions for the NCAA and various institutions. They should be banned from using student images unless they share a substantial portion of profits to the athlete.

While sports generates a lot of cash for the schools as a whole, many athletes are simply used and thrown to the curb. The reality of if is that most top level athletes do not have time to keep up with their training regimes AND take advantage of the educational opportunities available so the term “student athlete” is simply illusory.

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
JasoninDenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2019, 12:47 AM   #16
24 nights
Banned

Watch: 43sd +Daytona's
What's your handle on Tiger Droppings
24 nights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2019, 01:11 AM   #17
Rebel
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Sub 75090
Paid college players? They are paid!

When I review how much money I paid for each of my sons to attend a SEC college and realize the SEC athletes did not pay to attend the same school.....believe me, they do get paid!!!!!!
Old 19 November 2019, 01:26 AM   #18
Ferdelious
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Hulk/SD4K/SeaQ/P39
It would be extremely difficult to come up with a compensation plan for all student athletes, so I don't think the NCAA should be forced to do so. Scholarships and housing is the best way to create equal "compensation"

But I do believe student athletes should have the ability to accept endorsement deals or take loans from 3rd parties.
Old 19 November 2019, 01:33 AM   #19
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Of course they should be paid.

I think if the player wants to go pro and a team wants him he should be allowed to go. Screw the ncaa.

Always disappointing when a player does not need to be in and takes a big injury but that's the game and that's why I feel they should be paid.
Old 19 November 2019, 01:50 AM   #20
Knappo 1307
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sea Dweller
Quote:
I was a full scholarship D1 football player, my pay was my tuition. It was right for me, and I was happy to come out of school with no debt and a degree. I left college fully intact with no major injuries. I think a player should be able to go pro whenever they choose, this goes for any sport. I think if you asked Tua 10 times out of 10 he would say it was ultimately up to him if he played in that game and would do it again. Now taking him out up by I believe 38 points, should have been done. But everything is 20/20 hindsight.
Knappo 1307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2019, 02:02 AM   #21
singe89
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP & Patek
100% college athletes should be paid. The student athlete should be a % of the revenue they generate. The more $ the sport and athlete bring in (ticket sales, TV, jersey sales, video games, etc.) the more the athlete should be paid. BUT I think it should be put in a trust and only paid upon graduation.

This could create an incentive for the athlete to stay longer and get a degree. The school/sport benefits by potentially having players stay longer as well as the student athlete by getting paid and getting a degree. They can leave at anytime for the draft but then forego the $.

They should also make basic finance classes mandatory as part of their education. Average NFL career is only 3.3 years and 78% go broke within 3 years of retirement.
singe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2019, 02:15 AM   #22
Art 1
Banned

Watch: Rol/Seik/Tud/Omega
If they get paid should they have to pay for tuition, meal plan, books, parking and fees?
Art 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2019, 02:20 AM   #23
Kowaco
"TRF" Member

Watch: G Shock
I think the real question is when they’ll get paid. Sports are different too much money is being made and they want a piece. I think in the future there will be football schools where kids are groomed from a young age to play sports. I know that is what’s actually going on now but it will come out from behind the curtain in a few years

Kowaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2019, 02:30 AM   #24
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Like most "systems" this college football fiasco has weaved itself into the entire fabric of the College financial system and will be hard to fix.

I think the studies show that a lot of colleges basically could not survive without the money coming in from the football program and it is so powerful that you get things like the Paterno/Penn State horror and cover-up. As well as all the college recruitment scandals.

It often comes down to a nudge nudge-wink wink of, yeah but we give them a free education thing, but reports from some of the athletes is that they barely have time to study and attend classes with all the training/practice and many complain of not even having enough money to eat. This was on 60 Minutes a couple of years ago.

It's a complicated mess and there needs to be some sort of compensation AND help to get these guys a decent education at the same time. Lets face it, a phony diploma for a useless major and false hopes of a payday in the NFL is just a fantasy sold to most of these guys. Or worse, a blown out knee and game over.

They are being exploited and have no recourse.

I would love to see a documentary of the 95% of these guys that never even get a sniff at the NFL and what they went through and how useless their "education" was.
Blansky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2019, 11:41 AM   #25
bremersm
Banned

Most of the players have a fully paid education. That is payment enough. The scholarship should be tied to the player graduating. If they leave early for the NFL/NBA/MLB/NHL they have to pay back all 4 years of tuition.

bremersm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2019, 11:45 AM   #26
austinp
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kowaco View Post
I think the real question is when they’ll get paid. Sports are different too much money is being made and they want a piece. I think in the future there will be football schools where kids are groomed from a young age to play sports. I know that is what’s actually going on now but it will come out from behind the curtain in a few years

Check out IMG academy.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
austinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2019, 12:09 PM   #27
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bremersm View Post
Most of the players have a fully paid education. That is payment enough. The scholarship should be tied to the player graduating. If they leave early for the NFL/NBA/MLB/NHL they have to pay back all 4 years of tuition.

the basketball players that know they're going to the nba only go for 1 year because they have to. they don't attend classes and don't care for them and i wouldn't either if i knew this was just a chore in order to make millions a year later. why would they need to pay back their scholarships when the ncaa makes a billion+ dollars off them every march? most of these kids have no money during their time there and their schedules are strictly dictated by the teams and their coaches don't care that they skip classes, there are deals made to allow these kids to pass with minimum effort because of how much of a cash cow the ncaa is.

there's also no point sticking around because you risk getting injured or bumped down in the draft and losing out on millions. obviously the high draft picks get paid under the table but thats different. ben simmons made a documentary exposing the ncaa that i recommend people watch whenever this subject is brought up

for nfl its different because 19 yr olds don't belong in the nfl
huncho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2019, 12:16 PM   #28
Thug
"TRF" Member

Lol at paying back colleges when the revenues brought in would be more than the average graduate would donate back.

If your employer pays for your MBA or some other certification you paying that back too when you leave?
Thug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2019, 12:18 PM   #29
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thug View Post
Lol at paying back colleges when the revenues brought in would be more than the average graduate would donate back.

If your employer pays for your MBA or some other certification you paying that back too when you leave?
lol exactly. the ncaa makes a billion dollars every march from basketball alone and you got coaches making 9m a year (more than in the pros). these players are getting abused for every dollar possible
huncho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2019, 01:24 PM   #30
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art 1 View Post
If they get paid should they have to pay for tuition, meal plan, books, parking and fees?
Sure why not. Honestly there should be a specialized curriculum for top tier athletes. Classes include finance, accounting, marketing, CTE 101, pain management.