The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 7 October 2009, 02:26 AM   #1
Filo
"TRF" Member

Sumbariner SS: New or Old ?

Hello,

a quick question from a newbie. This have may be subject of endless discussion but...

I live in the UK. I would like to buy a Submariner SS. I was told that there is a shortage on the market due to the new model coming out, ie one with ceramic bezel. I am not sure I like it that much and it's very hard to find a shop or AD that has both. I was also told an old one trades around £3700.

Any thoughts ? Shall I go with the new one and forget about the old one ? Any advantages of getting the new one ? Where can I get an old one ?

Thank you v much for all your replies.

Regards

F.
Filo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2009, 02:41 AM   #2
Juggernaut
"TRF" Member

I personally prefer the older ones because of many reasons:
1) I don't care for the larger, blocky case (except for the larger crown guards: I like those)
2) I don't like the more shiny ceramic bezel
3) I prefer the look of the older oyster fliplock clasp
4) the new one might have polished center links on the bracelet: that's not my style. I like brushed all the way.
5) however, I DO like the Maxi dial that will now be standard.
Juggernaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2009, 02:52 AM   #3
Browining
"TRF" Member

The new ceramic bezel ss sub hasn't been released from rolex yet so you won't find any in the stores. It is expected to be released in 2010 so probably a year from now when they will start showing up at AD's. You can compare the sizes old vs new by looking at the TT subs.

Browning
Browining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2009, 03:00 AM   #4
Speed
"TRF" Member

Older - if you can find one which has clearly been cared for.
Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2009, 03:06 AM   #5
tkc324
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona AP DD Sub
Buy an older one. Look around for a good condition Sub with a good price tag. With this economy, it shouldn't be too hard.
I would always look at second hand first, because you are taking less of the depressionation hit up front. Most likely if you keep it in a good condition, you will be able to sell it back for what you paid for, if not MORE then what you paid for.
Once the new sub comes out, you can still opt to sell the old one and buy a new one, if you fancy... hope this makes sense.
tkc324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2009, 03:11 AM   #6
Filo
"TRF" Member

Thanks everyone for the replies. I will look for the classic 16610 and will keep you posted. I will be able to complete my collection of 1998 Oyster with Gold Bezel and my 2004 SS Daytona White face (yeah I try to buy a wathc every 5 year or so)
Old 7 October 2009, 03:15 AM   #7
The GMT Master
"TRF" Member

I don't know who told you that there was a shortage, but I've seen plenty about in windows of ADs. Still relatively easy to get hold of, but not a great scope for discount on the 16610. The new version is probably going to be launched at Baselworld 2010 (around Easter), and the models will probably reach shop windows this time next year. However, I anticipate there will be a high early demand, and it might be as late as 2011 that demand starts to ease. If you like the 16610, go for it, and if you need to find somewhere that stocks it, either I or any of the other British members can point you in the right direction

Cheers,

Chris
The GMT Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2009, 03:22 AM   #8
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo View Post
Thanks everyone for the replies. I will look for the classic 16610 and will keep you posted. I will be able to complete my collection of 1998 Oyster with Gold Bezel and my 2004 SS Daytona White face (yeah I try to buy a wathc every 5 year or so)
The only difference between any Sub from 1988 to present day 2009 is now a SEL bracelet, non lug hole case,laser etched crystal and some very very minor font details and thats about it.If they do bring out a ceramic sub would doubt if it will find its way to ADs till late 2010 at a very inflated price.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2009, 03:43 AM   #9
JBat
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16610, DJ
I think you can easily find a 16610 without trying too hard; I'd guess any Rolex AD would have them in stock. It's a great watch, no question, as I'm sure the new ceramic-bezeled one will be. It comes down to taste. I've not been able to take my 16610 off since receiving it a few weeks ago.

But I also love my GMTIIc. Go to an AD and compare the 16610 to the GMTIIc. That will at least give you an idea as to what the new Sub will look like compared to the current one.

You can't go wrong either way.
JBat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2009, 03:50 AM   #10
Gerardus
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕
The old type is great!

♕16570 ♕126610 ♕126333
Gerardus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2009, 06:32 AM   #11
presario
"TRF" Member

I don't discriminate Love both the old-school and new-school versions. But one thing's for SURE. You must have a classic sub in your stable. PERIOD. Buy the 16610 now and if you get a chance down the road to pick up a ceramic sub, do it!
Old 7 October 2009, 07:48 AM   #12
mike
"TRF" Member

Since you like the maxi dial any thought about the LV? Classic case, maxi, and being from the UK, I understand a black insert is fairly easy to get.
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2009, 08:37 AM   #13
IT-guy
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD 126600
I prefer the new ceramic Sub and will get it once it's out. For the older model, I strongly prefer Sea-Dweller - the two (Sub and SD) are kind of similar but SD is more substantial and feels a lot more solid. However, the ceramic Sub will make a nice addition to the collection, and it will not be redundant.
IT-guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2009, 09:54 AM   #14
bandityo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Submariner
are there any pics of this new sub anywhere?
bandityo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2009, 10:12 AM   #15
sakuraba
"TRF" Member

Watch: sun dial
I think you mean older SS sub vs new TT sub. They haven't launched the SS sub ceramic yet.

I also don't believe there is a shortage of 16610 subs. What I've noticed a shortage of are the 16600 SeaDwellers.

My advice is to take the plunge and get the 16610. When the new SS subs come out, let the inevitable market frenzy subside before trading your old sub for the ceramic.
T 16600 SD
D 16610 LV

"fine quality is remembered long after the pain of spending money" -Steve Mulholland
sakuraba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2009, 10:16 AM   #16
Luxe Time
"TRF" Member

Here are a few questions to ask yourself:

1) Are you on a budget?
2) Do you intend on wearing your Sub daily?

If your answer is "yes" to the above questions, go with a "pre-loved" Sub, you'll save money and most likely feel the same satisfaction you would if you bought new.
Luxe Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2009, 06:47 AM   #17
Filo
"TRF" Member

Thanks everyone again, given there is no much scope for a discount on the current 16610 I will take the plunge, go to and AD and ask for delivery time...

Will post pics...

And hey yes I would wear this everyday!
Old 8 October 2009, 06:58 AM   #18
mustangbrad

Watch: 16613
No shortages, go with a newer one if you can.
mustangbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2009, 07:29 AM   #19
Filo
"TRF" Member

One more thing: any reccomended AD in Central London ?

Thanks

F.
Old 8 October 2009, 07:47 AM   #20
Nicko
Banned

Old all the way, the look just screams ROLEX!
Nicko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2009, 09:49 AM   #21
jlake

Buy the old (current) sub date. Personally I have tried on the GMT2C about 10 different times to date and still can not get use to the PCL's and larger case. And brainwashing isn't working either due the all the improvements Rolex has made on the GMT2C. I don't have any concerns about the ceramic bezel though.
jlake is offline   Reply With Quote