The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 10 May 2022, 11:08 PM   #1
Rolexken
"TRF" Member

Should Rolex Increase Prices To Level Supply/Demand

Who would be the winners and losers in the short and longer term ?

-Grey dealers
-Flippers
-Availability in ADs

Etc

Apologies if already covered to death in other threads.
Rolexken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2022, 11:10 PM   #2
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Yes

The secondary markets are already taking care of this
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent Clock
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2022, 11:10 PM   #3
amh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
'Should' they? I think they will for the following reasons:
- Global inflation
- Opportunity

Of course I hope they don't but I think it's inevitable.
amh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2022, 11:24 PM   #4
Adam84
Banned

Watch: Cant choose!
I suppose flip this question around.

If Rolex set their prices at the current market levels, would there be the demand?

I would suggest a good part of the appeal is the asset/ investment part, if the prices are raised to that level so there is 'no margin' left in it for flippers, will demand still be there? Youve already seen it on here in recent weeks, people panicking about losing a bit of money having paid at the peak.

Also while Rolex is expensive, the pieces are currenlty at a price point that is still attainable if you save money/ work hard. if a 7k GMT suddenly becomes a 25k watch at retail you will lose a portion of buyers that simply cant afford the market value.

Personally i think if they raised prices to market value, a lot of people would be turned off and would find better places to spend 25k like with Lange, H Moser etc.
Adam84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2022, 12:26 AM   #5
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Ingersoll Mickey
Why would they destroy their own market and kill their momentum? Demand is high because retail prices are attainable for many even as the watches are hard to find.
Kevin of Larchmont is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2022, 12:50 AM   #6
Tach24LMS
"TRF" Member

If they raise MSRP, greys will just raise secondary value and ask more.

If the supply isn’t there from the manufacturer, it’s not going to change the demand on the secondary market. They’ll just charge higher prices, and be justified in doing so with Rolex new higher MSRP.
Tach24LMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2022, 12:52 AM   #7
dtwer
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ 41
I don't see them raising prices beyond normal inflationary adjustments.

Unlike most other corporate-held watch brands, Rolex is the classic infinite game player, they are unlikely to sacrifice they long term sustainability over short term windfall.
dtwer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2022, 01:21 AM   #8
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolexken View Post

-Grey dealers
-Flippers
-Availability in ADs

Etc

Well today Rolex stopped being watch bought to own and wear,now to many just £$€ objects and nothing more.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2022, 01:32 AM   #9
Madison1
"TRF" Member

Good question OP. I for one can't see it happening as I agree with Adam84, at market prices there are better options available from other brands. From my perspective whilst I never buy a watch expecting to sell it's nice to know with sports Rolex you won't lose your shirt. It's nice to see a paper profit but I would be happy knowing if I ever needed to liquidate I would get +/- 10%. This should hold true with the trend of Rolex price increases.
Madison1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2022, 01:40 AM   #10
calatravato
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5711/1a-011
I'm in the minority here, but I think the AD should be allowed to charge whatever they want. The biggest objection to this that I've heard is that customers would be upset once market prices come down and they lose money. My rebuttal is that if you're about to drop 5 figures on a watch, you're grown up enough to realize that market prices go up and down, and that you should not buy a discretionary spending item unless you can afford it.
Old 11 May 2022, 01:40 AM   #11
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601
Just like their watches, changes will be gradual.
kieselguhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2022, 01:45 AM   #12
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Well today Rolex stopped being watch bought to own and wear,now to many just £$€ objects and nothing more.
Afraid so Peter.
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2022, 01:45 AM   #13
Beto737
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin of Larchmont View Post
Why would they destroy their own market and kill their momentum? Demand is high because retail prices are attainable for many even as the watches are hard to find.
This
Beto737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2022, 01:52 AM   #14
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Rolex could easily raise their msrp by 30% and it wouldn’t change anything to the market. The AD list would still be overflowing with names. Rolex doesn’t work that way nor would they increase production. Rolex is in the envious place of being right where they wanna be and is always in control of their destiny in the market.
Old 11 May 2022, 01:58 AM   #15
Smy404
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP RO OS
The question (factual) is what is the percentage of flippers compared to genuine Rolex purchasers. I am sure this is big on the minds of Rolex. I have to think a higher percentage are by flippers. Like 15/85. Rolex knows when and if the economic downturns comes, that the high number of Rolex's in the hands of flippers will effect their AD sells. They are making the same number of watches before all this social media hype. Due to their AD contract, they will never have over-stock watches. The AD's will take them all. So they know their profit margins before this and during these hyped times. They are 100% a profitable (non-profit) business.
99% of all social media posts starts off with look at my $$$$$ purchase. So that is why I think the grey market is so high.
With free money being handed out, of course these people who are influenced and will be the first ones to buy. Hopefully they purchased from AD's so they won't be too under water.

I think Rolex will always raise prices every year. But not based on these false market times. But more on the typical price increase based on their history. Sure they will change a point here or there.

For me, if they raise prices to match grey market, I will not buy from an AD. I will wait till the economy is bad and these flippers needs a quick buck to pay off their credit cards or pay off a menacing bookie.

Rich ALWAYS get richer when the poor get poorer.
Smy404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2022, 02:37 AM   #16
Time Out
Banned

Wait until new money greys and back pack flippers start dumping inventory into the markets. They are playing hot potato on the privates and prices are falling fast.
Time Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2022, 02:55 AM   #17
minute_man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BoctokKomandirskie
They have already increased the prices up to 10% on certain models, in line with inflation. As they've always done before. They're in for the long run and therefore, almost indifferent to the noise created by chest thumping, flipped out flippers, investors, influencers, flex measurement contests and indeed the whole travesty of a market we're currently witnessing.
minute_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2022, 07:09 AM   #18
AJMarcus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Swiss
Nope. Let the changing economic landscape readjust the playing field. That will happen soon enough.
AJMarcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2022, 07:13 AM   #19
blokecollctngwatches
"TRF" Member

Rolex will continue to manufacture around the 1m watches a year controlling their quality as a foundation/charity. I don’t they have any ambitions to increase this number by double or triple which is what the demand for these watches are like currently
blokecollctngwatches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2022, 08:13 AM   #20
inadeje
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me lose count.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolexken View Post

-Grey dealers
-Flippers
-Availability in ADs

Etc

Again? They just did, 9-12% on all the variants considered “hot” and 2-3% on the others. First selective increase I’ve ever seen in my years of watch collecting. Shows they’re more aware of the grey prices than we give them credit for.
♛ 116689 ♛ 116500LN Blk ♛ 116500LN Wht ♛ Sky Dweller 326934-003 ♛ 126710BLNR ♛ 126710BLRO - ♛ 126610LV ♛ 16520 ♛ 16523 ♛ 16610 ♛ 5513 Birth Year - ✠ Patek Philippe 5980/1A-001 - AP 26331ST Panda - Panerai Fiddy 127, Bronzo 671, 687, 111, Ω Speedmaster 1957 Broad Arrow, Daniel Roth Endurer Chronosprint, Cartier Santos XL - ✿ Tudor Black Bay 58 Bronze M79012M, Montblanc TimeWalker Chrono 41
inadeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2022, 08:30 AM   #21
Rock Strongo
Banned

Watch: Yes
The brand equity they build up through marketing is worth way more than short term margin gains (which I'm sure is already extremely high).
Rock Strongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2022, 08:43 AM   #22
Melanotaenia
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorers and Subs
Quote:
Originally Posted by blokecollctngwatches View Post
Rolex will continue to manufacture around the 1m watches a year controlling their quality as a foundation/charity. I don’t they have any ambitions to increase this number by double or triple which is what the demand for these watches are like currently
+1

I think a lot of people keep forgetting this part specifically when it comes to Rolex.
Old 11 May 2022, 10:07 AM   #23
Oyster Al
"TRF" Member

I just hope they don’t poop the bed by increasing supply.
Oyster Al is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2022, 10:27 AM   #24
WantBlue15202
"TRF" Member

I'm in agreement with others, it feels like the speculation might be nearing it's end...
Old 11 May 2022, 10:49 AM   #25
buffetwarren
"TRF" Member

Doesn’t make sense for Rolex to do this. I think history will prove the pandemic was a blip on the map. We’re heading towards an economic downturn which will blunt Rolex demand.
buffetwarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2022, 01:04 PM   #26
francoamerican
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blokecollctngwatches View Post
Rolex want to maximize income, that’s a pretty safe assumption. They appear to be disciplined in looking long term (as many for profit, even publicly traded, companies are)

It would be interesting to know how they shuffle among models and how much they vary production.

The answer to the question I think : price hikes likely cause harm to a luxury brand if they later result in price cuts or discounting later. If they had *persistent* demand for 3 million watches and couldn’t increase production without having an effect on quality they would increase price. (Why wouldn’t they). The reason they won’t is they don’t believe demand will persist at current levels.
francoamerican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2022, 06:19 PM   #27
SS Oyster
2024 Pledge Member

In case you haven't noticed, Rolex has already raised prices twice this year alone.
SS Oyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2022, 06:25 PM   #28
Rolexguy$
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin of Larchmont View Post
I think so too. It's already difficult to get one as it is. Why increase price? It could have a negative toll on the demand.
Rolexguy$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2022, 08:03 PM   #29
Driver8
"TRF" Member

Aside from the OP's question of who would be winners and loser, arbitrarily raising prices to cash-in on high demand is actually quite a dangerous thing for a luxury goods company to do.

If as a manufacturer you follow the fickle whims of consumer demand in your pricing (and production), you can very easily find yourself coming to a point where demand drops and you then have to lower your RRP, or start discounting. No prestige company worth it's salt wants to do that as brand image is often the single most important piece of capital they have - and Rolex is absolutely no exception in that regard.

A good case in point for me is Panerai - a few years ago they were one of the hottest properties in the watch world. Demand was sky-high and they followed the money by increasing production and pricing accordingly. In recent years that demand has dropped considerably, so discounting is now available where once there was only waiting lists. We're also seeing them "dumb-down" their movements these days - no doubt in an attempt to keep costs lower.

Rolex does not play that game, simply because it doesn't need to. With no share-holders to satisfy, they can go their own merry way, and as it stands they sell literally everything they make for the price they want to sell it for. There's zero incentive for them to change anything.
Old 11 May 2022, 08:35 PM   #30
minute_man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BoctokKomandirskie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver8 View Post
Aside from the OP's question of who would be winners and loser, arbitrarily raising prices to cash-in on high demand is actually quite a dangerous thing for a luxury goods company to do.

If as a manufacturer you follow the fickle whims of consumer demand in your pricing (and production), you can very easily find yourself coming to a point where demand drops and you then have to lower your RRP, or start discounting. No prestige company worth it's salt wants to do that as brand image is often the single most important piece of capital they have - and Rolex is absolutely no exception in that regard.

A good case in point for me is Panerai - a few years ago they were one of the hottest properties in the watch world. Demand was sky-high and they followed the money by increasing production and pricing accordingly. In recent years that demand has dropped considerably, so discounting is now available where once there was only waiting lists. We're also seeing them "dumb-down" their movements these days - no doubt in an attempt to keep costs lower.

Rolex does not play that game, simply because it doesn't need to. With no share-holders to satisfy, they can go their own merry way, and as it stands they sell literally everything they make for the price they want to sell it for. There's zero incentive for them to change anything.
Well said!

The dogs are barking but the caravan moves on...
minute_man is offline   Reply With Quote